Suggestions for smaller ship cruise Italy/Greece

We are looking to book a cruise for Sept '25. We prefer a smaller ship and wish to visit Greece and Italy. We have cruised with Viking River cruises in the past. What other companies should we consider for a moderate to higher quality experience on a smaller ship? Thanks!

Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2024 at 3:07 PM, edinburgher said:

As you enjoyed Viking river cruises,

Viking OCEAN, Azamara, Oceania, Seabourn but there will be others..

Don't forget Clipper Cruises.  They hold about 200 people and even better - they are true sailboats where you spend most of your cruise under sail.  Cruising on them is a unique experience.  

DON

Edited by donaldsc

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Don't forget Clipper Cruises.  They hold about 200 people and even better - they are true sailboats where you spend most of your cruise under sail.  Cruising on them is a unique experience.  

DON

Do you mean Star Clipper?  Clipper Cruise line went out of business ages ago, and theirs were’t tall ships.  

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Do you mean Star Clipper?  Clipper Cruise line went out of business ages ago, and theirs were’t tall ships.  

Our first Athens to Rome was on Renaissance lines in 2001 ships were under 40,000 tons our ship was new unfortunately line went out of business after 9/11 loved it adults only and non smoking.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, George C said:

Our first Athens to Rome was on Renaissance lines in 2001 ships were under 40,000 tons our ship was new unfortunately line went out of business after 9/11 loved it adults only and non smoking.

I think  Oceania and Azamara have a few of  the Renaissance "R" Class ships (which we also loved)and in my post #2 I suggested the OP look at both lines.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

I think  Oceania and Azamara have a few of  the Renaissance "R" Class ships (which we also loved)and in my post #2 I suggested the OP look at both lines.

Those ships are now at least 23 years old, but I would like to try Oceania .

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

My mistake.  You are right.  Regardless - it was a really great cruise.

DON

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, George C said:

I think all of the Azamara fleet are R8's. Oceania still have, I think  2 or 3 but have other ships in their fleet which are not R8's so could be worthwhile checking both lines.

Edited by edinburgher

On 8/3/2024 at 11:32 AM, George C said:

Why does that matter? Sure they don’t have the latest bells and whistles but they are well kept, have excellent food and get you where the new big ships can’t. As an aside we sail Sea Dream and those two yachts are older than that. The ports, ambience, food all override anything having to do with age. 

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2024 at 9:32 AM, George C said:

Age doesn't matter.  My 1st cruise ever in about 2005 was on a Maine Windjammer that was built in 1871.  That would have made her about 134 years old.  It was also one of my best cruises ever.

DON

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Age doesn't matter.  My 1st cruise ever in about 2005 was on a Maine Windjammer that was built in 1871.  That would have made her about 134 years old.  It was also one of my best cruises ever.

DON

One of my best ever was Penthouse on celebrity edge , I think I take that over any windjammer but we are all different.

14 minutes ago, George C said:

One of my best ever was Penthouse on celebrity edge , I think I take that over any windjammer but we are all different.

The cabin on my windjammer was not exactly big.  In fact it was so small that when Carole was getting dressed or changing I had to sit on the bed.  

DON

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

The cabin on my windjammer was not exactly big.  In fact it was so small that when Carole was getting dressed or changing I had to sit on the bed.  

DON

I can relate , while we now cruise in suites, we did lots of small inside cabins some with bunk beds 😢😢😢