WiFi onboard

CH_ca

I usually like to disconnect while on a cruise so I never bought WiFi on the cruise. This coming cruise, I need to stay connected to check in on things from time to time. It will be a Pacific Coastal cruise from Vancouver to San Diego. Here my questions:

1. How far away from the shore line will the cruise be? Will there be cell signals?

2. If I need to buy a WiFi package for the duration of the cruise, is the Premium Internet Plan's signal (the lowest one) stable enough? Or the ship's internet signal stability is not speed dependent?

3. Should I buy the WiFi package pre-cruise or while onboard? Any difference in costs or taxes?

4. If I bought the WiFi package, can I turn off the mobile network on my phone and use WiFi calling to make calls? Does it work that way?

I know some of the questions are more technical based. I'd really appreciate some help here. Thanks!

Posted (edited)

You will not be close enough to shore while sailing to use the cell tower signals.

You will have whatever service your provider allows in port

the premium package is very stable though you still may find an isolated pocket on the ship with a poor signal. Case in point in my current room the signal is not good on one end of my room but good a short distance away. On another area of the ship I received a phone call, WiFi iPhone, as clear as could be while at sea.  If you can receive calls depends on your own device and apps on your device 

you most definitely want to be in airplane mode while at sea, it can be very costly to accept a call otherwise 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 5

The premium plan is discounted by 20% if you pre purchase.  You can see the price if you log into the HAL website and go to Manage my Cruise.

Premium is ok for wifi calling.

Interesting question about taxes if you purchase onboard!  I have not read of anyone being charged taxes for this, but logically, as taxes are charged in ports for alcohol etc, then taxes may be liable for internet if purchased in port, if that country charges taxes on internet connections.  (simple, yes?)

Link to Internet pricing courtesty of Crew News/Roger.

Internet-Pricing-2024-1.pdf

• Like 1

We did a similar cruise last year on the Koningsdam from San Diego to Sf and back.  We had the HIA package and I upgraded the HIA Wi-Fi to premium once on the ship. I was able to send and receive Wi-Fi calls and texts with my phone in airplane mode and Wi-Fi on. While at sea you will too far from shore to get Cell service along the coast line. 

• Like 1

Excellent! Very useful answers! Thank you!

I will have some OBC to use. I guess maybe it will still be "cheaper" if I purchase onboard even with the 20% off now? I vaguely remember they have a WiFi special on embarkation day. Does anyone remember what the offer is? 

1 hour ago, CH_ca said:

I will have some OBC to use. I guess maybe it will still be "cheaper" if I purchase onboard even with the 20% off now? I vaguely remember they have a WiFi special on embarkation day. Does anyone remember what the offer is? 

No embarkation day specials in recent history!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CH_ca said:

2. If I need to buy a WiFi package for the duration of the cruise, is the Premium Internet Plan's signal (the lowest one) stable enough? Or the ship's internet signal stability is not speed dependent?

3. Should I buy the WiFi package pre-cruise or while onboard? Any difference in costs or taxes?

Neither the stability nor the speed is Plan dependent. Streaming only unblocks streaming sites.

If you need WiFi for the duration of the cruise, I would buy pre-cruise for the 20% savings. I have no trouble spending OBC, though!

• Like 1

I have another question. If I need to use my laptop to look up things while talking on the phone (WiFi calling), can I tether my laptop to use my phone's hot spot? Do they allow tethering or do I have to buy the multi-device option? But I really only very occasionally need to access 2 devices at the same time.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CH_ca said:

I have another question. If I need to use my laptop to look up things while talking on the phone (WiFi calling), can I tether my laptop to use my phone's hot spot? Do they allow tethering or do I have to buy the multi-device option? But I really only very occasionally need to access 2 devices at the same time.

It is unlikely you will be able to use the phones hot spot as it will already be using the wifi receiver to connect to the ship.

There is an easy way to check at home and before you travel, if you will be able to use a hot spot.

Ensure your phone is connected to both data and wifi and go to settings > connections and check that you are offered the 'Mobile Hotspot' option.

Then turn on 'Flight mode'.  Your phone is now connected the same way as it would be onboard ship.  Is the 'Mobile Hotspot' option still offered?  On my S21 the hotspot option disappears as soon as I hit flight mode because the wifi is being used to connect to my home network and is not available to broadcast the signal for the hotspot.

(remember to turn off flight mode when finished!)

You can get a travel router to take with you which will work, but is a lot of work to set up for only occaisonal use.   

If there is a second person in the stateroom with wifi package you could sign in using their logon details.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 1

I was able to use usb tethering from my Samsung A15 to my laptop so that option is available. Make sure you have a data & charging cable, not just a charging cable.

On 8/4/2024 at 11:28 AM, CH_ca said:

It depends on your phone.

I have had several generations of Google Pixel phones. All of them since the Pixel 3 have supported sharing Wi-Fi over Wi-Fi, i.e., Wi-Fi tethering. I have done it on multiple cruises.

Put the phone in Airplane Mode, turn on Wi-Fi, then turn on Mobile Hotspot. It works fine.

I have read that this works because these phones have multiple Wi-Fi radios, but that's just hearsay on my part..

You can accomplish the same thing by using your Windows 11 laptop to connect to the ship's Wi-Fi then turning on the Mobile Hotspot on the laptop. I find that more convenient.

2 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

It depends on your phone.

I have had several generations of Google Pixel phones. All of them since the Pixel 3 have supported sharing Wi-Fi over Wi-Fi, i.e., Wi-Fi tethering. I have done it on multiple cruises.

Put the phone in Airplane Mode, turn on Wi-Fi, then turn on Mobile Hotspot. It works fine.

I have read that this works because these phones have multiple Wi-Fi radios, but that's just hearsay on my part..

You can accomplish the same thing by using your Windows 11 laptop to connect to the ship's Wi-Fi then turning on the Mobile Hotspot on the laptop. I find that more convenient.

Just back from a week on the Westerdam and can confirm I was able to do exactly this.  I reshared the wi-fi to 2 other of my own devices using Hotspot on a Pixel 8 Pro. That said, the Surf package had a lot of sites filtered/not reachable (and not just streaming sites either) Unclear if this was an intentional limitation or not. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

That is correct.  Not so many phones have multiple radios.

12 hours ago, DesertDweller21 said:

That said, the Surf package had a lot of sites filtered/not reachable (and not just streaming sites either) Unclear if this was an intentional limitation or not. 

I talked to the IT director on Volendam earlier this year and his answer was that they exclude everything until someone makes a fuss about it. Once that happens it goes to Seattle for approval, then it is allowed.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If you have Wifi and have Wifi calling turned on, your calling and texing works fine, just like at home.  Do NOT  take it out of airplane mode ever while you are cruising.  You wouldn't be close enough to shore anyway but it will pick up international maritime roaming and be uber expensive.  Your phone should work like normal in port, even from an outside deck -- as long as the ship is not moving.  We get the mid-level wifi because you don't get email with the lower (surf) pkg.  We don't need streaming (upper pkg), but I have noticed a few things that don't load with the mid pkg.  Facebook loads but Telegram doesn't load.  

Edited by RRFan
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow these are all VERY useful tips! I've been really busy for the past few weeks. Only able to check these posts just now. Thank you everyone. Really appreciate it!!!

On 8/2/2024 at 1:09 PM, CH_ca said:

If you are 5 Star you get a $30 reduction of wifi purchased when on the ship.  If you don't have a lot of on board credit to spend it is cheaper to purchase before the cruise.  Also if you look at the chart that was linked - depending in the number of days you may want to wait a day before purchasing.  We are doing a 52 day starting in January and if I wait until the second day of the cruise I can get the 51 day price which is $60 cheaper.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

We are doing a 52 day starting in January and if I wait until the second day of the cruise I can get the 51 day price which is $60 cheaper.

But it is still another $77 cheaper to pre purchase!

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

But it is still another $77 cheaper to pre purchase!

We will have about $1200 of SBC and free crew appreciation so we will probably what and purchase on board.  Everyone just has to run the numbers and see what works best for their situation. Just like people ask is the HIA worth it - it depends - if you drink a lot and take ship tours then HIA is probably good - if you don't drink and do private tours then probably not - you just have to run the numbers and see what is best for your personal situation.

2 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

We will have about $1200 of SBC and free crew appreciation so we will probably what and purchase on board.  Everyone just has to run the numbers and see what works best for their situation. Just like people ask is the HIA worth it - it depends - if you drink a lot and take ship tours then HIA is probably good - if you don't drink and do private tours then probably not - you just have to run the numbers and see what is best for your personal situation.

Absolutely works for you.