Considering Virgin

Goofyisme

Hello, we are pretty seasoned cruisers having sailed over 15 times on 6 lines over the last 20+ years.

Considering trying virgin sometime in the not to distant future.

Things that have us interested in Virgin are its adult only policy, things that are included in the base fare and the variety of places to eat.

We have not considered Virgin in the past because we have heard it is a party line like a Carnival cruise but have been told that is not really true.

We are a couple in our 60s and 70s who enjoy music, dancing, some show, food, and just relaxing on the water either on our veranda or public places.  Don't drink much alcohol and usually enjoy one or two spa treatments.

For those of you experienced with Virgin, how do you think we would fit in and enjoy a Virgin cruise.

TIA for any info you can provide.

All I will say is that it will be different, but if you have a little bit of curiosity about it, try it.  But try to book a cruise of at least 7 days.  I just returned from my first VV cruise, 5 days on Valiant Lady.  Five was just not long enough to experience everything and learn my way around.  I did a Live from, so it’s probably still on the second page…. EM

• Like 1

We are in our 60s and have sailed with Virgin 6 times already and have 5 more on the books.

The short 4 and 5 day sailings on all lines tend to draw the party crowd, but it's real easy to enjoy yourself without partaking or even knowing the party's going on. Great food, the happiest crew at sea, and great musicians from all over the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are expecting old school cruising (but without children) you will probably be disappointed. There are a lot of things about Virgin that are different. I'm in my 60's and I enjoy the line very much. I love the no children and all inclusive aspect. It is not a Carnival clone, trust me. Will you see a loud pool party? Sure. Can you do something else? Absolutely. VV is what you make it. I'll wager you'll like it. Virgin Voyages originally targeted the line toward Millenials. They have been trying to walk that back for years now. The average age of sailors is 48-50 last time I checked. My biggest problem with the line is I've always hated the color red. I'm coping. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

If you are expecting old school cruising (but without children) you will probably be disappointed. There are a lot of things about Virgin that are different. I'm in my 60's and I enjoy the line very much. I love the no children and all inclusive aspect. It is not a Carnival clone, trust me. Will you see a loud pool party? Sure. Can you do something else? Absolutely. VV is what you make it. I'll wager you'll like it. Virgin Voyages originally targeted the line toward Millenials. They have been trying to walk that back for years now. The average age of sailors is 48-50 last time I checked. My biggest problem with the line is I've always hated the color red. I'm coping. 🤣

I tolerate red. But yellow - ugh!

• Haha 1

@Goofyisme so I now have time to tell you my experiences with Virgin. I have sailed 3 times on Virgin and numerous times on other lines. 

I have sailed several of the big name cruise lines. I have enjoyed all of them in some degree, with the exception of Carnival and that was a one and done scenario. I am in my early 70s.

My first time on Virgin was in December of 2020. Ships had just recently begun sailing again. I was very impressed with how they handled all of the Covid requirements. The Sea Terrace reminded me of furniture by IKEA but definitely doable. The hammock is awesome. The bed is subjective. If the bed is made up as a regular bed it is to firm for me. But if it is done in an L shape the side that is over the box area was like sleeping on a hard floor. There was no give in the spring mesh under the couch cushion/mattress due to it resting on the box. Some folks love the beds.

The restaurants are the best. Even at it's worst (which really isn't bad) the Wake is better then the Crown Grill on the last couple of Princess cruises I have been on and those are an extra cost. I love the steak and the guacamole at Pink Agave. And Extra Virgin has so many options available.

Razzle Dazzle is a great option for breakfast/brunch but dinner - not so much. I have enjoyed the pizza, the Bento boxes, the Social Club, the Dock with their Mezze Cart and Grill, and I really enjoy the Poke bowl at the Sun Club. And all of these "specialty" restaurants are free. The Galley is a perfect option for me. On the first cruise I would wander around and look at all the options. Now, I grab a table and raise the flag and place my order. I usually do my breakfast there in the early morning and then book the Wake or Razzle Dazzle for a late morning brunch.

I think the mix of clientele is diverse. When I travel solo I'm usually a book worm enjoying my quiet time away from work. But on Virgin I found visiting with people easy and enjoyable.

I know everyone's experiences are different, but I have absolutely enjoyed my times on Virgin. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I'm in my late 60s, recently completed cancer treatment and certainly not a huge exercise person although I'm trying to become more active.  I tell you that because of the free fitness classes--there are a few that I enjoy and a lot that are far beyond me. I am not a party person.
Our first VV cruise  was to celebrate the end of my treatment.  We got off the ship with 3 more booked. I now have a total of 57 nights on board VV.
Great food, great wifi, and we have been on cruises with great FB groups that arranged some of our own activities in addition to what the ship offered.  We generally avoid the "big party" events.

In 2022, the average age on the cruises was 43. That's the only official number I've seen from VV.  On our last cruise, a 14 night TA, the average age on board was 53 according to Sailor Services.  It was also the most full ship I'd been on with 2148 sailors on board.  My suggestion--the longer the cruise and the less full the ship, the better.  That said, my sister was on a totally full cruise and got off with more booked.  VV is definitely not getting the clientele that they originally thought they would, and there more recent ads have reflected that.

Are they perfect?  No.  Are they different and are most of the differences good?  Absolutely.  THe only issue now is that prices have significantly increased; they are trying to make up for their "start up" deficit.  It is impossible to compare apples to apples with any two lines, but VV costs are in line with other cruises. THe starting package may appear to be more, but that's because more is included.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Goofyisme said:

We have not considered Virgin in the past because we have heard it is a party line like a Carnival cruise but have been told that is not really true.

I haven't been on Carnival but Virgin does not feel like a party line at all.  I would compare it to Celebrity - those are the 2 lines I enjoy the most, with both having pros and cons. 

I would actually say that Celebrity is louder than Virgin - because when they have dance parties or silent disco in the atrium it really feels like it takes over the entire ship. On Virgin, the parties are confined to specific areas like the pool deck or the dance club. 

Virgin cruises are pretty chill and quiet if you want them to be... or you can party all night at the club if that's what you prefer. 

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for your quick and thoughtful responses.  They continue to peak my interest in VV.  Anymore comments are more than welcome.\

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Few things I personally really like about VV:

THE HAMMOCK!!!

No children

No photographers

Very little up-selling

Most of the food is really good (my favs are Pink Agave, Razzle Dazzle & Gunbae)

Crew seems pretty happy for the most part.

Great selection of live music.

The cruise can be a party if you want or very chill and relaxing if you want.

Good selection of free On Demand movies/TV shows.

Beds in suites (Rockstar & Megarockstar) are very comfortable.

Things I am less fond of:

Personally, I find the beds in the regular cabins pretty uncomfortable.

The pools are miniscule.

The food can get a little repetitive the more times you cruise VV.

The audio in most of the venues, while it sounds good and not overdriven, is way too loud for me.  I bring earplugs.  

I think it is a line that is definitely worth trying out for yourself.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Goofyisme said:

Hello, we are pretty seasoned cruisers having sailed over 15 times on 6 lines over the last 20+ years.

Considering trying virgin sometime in the not to distant future.

Things that have us interested in Virgin are its adult only policy, things that are included in the base fare and the variety of places to eat.

We are a couple in our 60s and 70s who enjoy music, dancing, some show, food, and just relaxing on the water either on our veranda or public places.  Don't drink much alcohol and usually enjoy one or two spa treatments.

For those of you experienced with Virgin, how do you think we would fit in and enjoy a Virgin cruise.

TIA for any info you can provide.

I too will be a Virgin virgin on an upcoming 15 day TA.  I have watched a number of YT videos but one that I found most helpful by far, was referred here to me by a VV cruiser, vloggers name is Walter.  Super detailed and IMO very honest and unbiased.  

• Like 1

The no kids is great.. 

If you want to party until 3am you can. If you want to relax you can. Noone is making noise galore up and down the corridor like carnival.

The food is miles better on virgin. They don't nickle and dime you for everything also.

• Like 5

Things I like about virgin.

Service

No silly announcements

Food is made to order..no uncharges.can order more than 1 entree if so desire. Unlike rc.

Demebarktion.

The galley. Different concept but much better. 

Not so fond of. 

Bed in sea terrace cabins..have rock star cabin 9/8 so hopefully will be better.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, steve thfc said:

Food is made to order..no uncharges.

There are a few upcharges and I'm guessing more will be coming.  I'm referring to the "Treat yourself" menu items that appear on all the dinner menus. 

I definitely had one dish at Razzle Dazzle that had been sitting for a long time.... it wasn't made to order when I ordered it haha. 

IMO, all the previous comments spot on.  If you’re thinking of pulling the trigger to book, find a TA who has the previous MNVV offer to sell you.  The new one is disappointing in perks.

Before you ask, I believe it’s not allowed to recommend TAs so Google is your friend. 

• Like 1

Such great information.

Do any of you have any experience with the Thermal Suite in the spa?

Also what are your favorite places to eat breakfast when onboard?

Some of the menus look a little "eclectic" for me but I have never had a big problem finding something I enjoy eating.

Sorry for all the questions but my wife and I both have backgrounds in project management and analysis.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goofyisme said:

Such great information.

Do any of you have any experience with the Thermal Suite in the spa?

Also what are your favorite places to eat breakfast when onboard?

Some of the menus look a little "eclectic" for me but I have never had a big problem finding something I enjoy eating.

Sorry for all the questions but my wife and I both have backgrounds in project management and analysis.

Honestly my go-to breakfast is pancakes from the Galley food court. Then some fresh fruit in one of the bento boxes and maybe a pastry.

But if going for brunch at Razzle Dazzle I’ll have the waffle that comes with cherry syrup and pistachios, maybe with some eggs and bacon on the side. For brunch at The Wake I’ll get steak and eggs (sunny side up with runny yolk as I’m British).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

But if going for brunch at Razzle Dazzle I’ll have the waffle that comes with cherry syrup and pistachios, maybe with some eggs and bacon on the side. For brunch at The Wake I’ll get steak and eggs (sunny side up with runny yolk as I’m British).

Oh, that waffle sounds yummy. I haven't had a good waffle since I have had to go gluten free. I used to eat my eggs that way until one night during my misspent youth and a night of over indulging, the eggs waved at me. After that I wanted them over well done and dead.

The very few upcharge items have been the same for 2 years now.  THe tomahawk steak is huge, but is really the only one you might consider.  We did the waygu beef in Gunbae--the marinated beef (Kalbi?) on the regular menu is better!  THere is seriously NO need to order the few upcharge items.  We are disappointed with the "new" evening menu in RD (about 9 months old now).  THey removed our 3 favorite items.  Never had old, sitting around food there or elsewhere.  

The video referred to is on You Tube by "Where's Walter Travels."  He has several about VV; one on the ship in general, one on food specifically, etc.  Some are a little dated, but as the changes are few, are still very relevant.  THe good thing is that they are totally accurate and not much opinion; no "Look at MEEEEEE" like some videos.  Walter was an award winning film dude in Hollywood in a previous life.

58 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Never had old, sitting around food there or elsewhere.  

On the 2 cruises that I took, I had pretty different experiences. My first cruise - Razzle Dazzle was incredible - crazy good food and service.  On my next cruise, it was almost the complete opposite. On the second cruise is when I was served a dish that had obviously been sitting for a long time.  

Just my anecdotal experiences... I'm hoping to have more soon. I'll miss the pasta in Razzle Dazzle but some of the new dishes sound really good. 

1 minute ago, Travel-and-See said:

On the 2 cruises that I took, I had pretty different experiences. My first cruise - Razzle Dazzle was incredible - crazy good food and service.  On my next cruise, it was almost the complete opposite. On the second cruise is when I was served a dish that had obviously been sitting for a long time.  

Just my anecdotal experiences... I'm hoping to have more soon. I'll miss the pasta in Razzle Dazzle but some of the new dishes sound really good. 

Similar--on our first 2 cruises, RD  was our "go to" for both the food and the service.  Since our shortest cruise to date has been 14 nights, we got to know some of the crew, etc.  Cruise 3 was the new menu.  While the service was OK, I guess we just didn't "click with any one in particular.  Cruise 4 was the first time we've gotten off the ship without another sailing booked.  As silly as it sounds, it had to do with a lot of little things.  The menus were getting old and a few little difficulties were adding up.  

For example, we had a repair needed in our cabin that presented a real safety issue.  We reported it to both our cabin host (who said it was supposed to be that way) and to Sailor Services (which referred it back to the stateroom host).  Toward the end of the cruise, I put it on the app "how is everything" statement and SURPRISE, they got a supervisor up there.  She fully agreed that it was a dangerous issue,  but as it was the last afternoon of the cruise, we asked that it NOT be fixed until we had disembarked.  We had lived with it for 13 days; why deal with repairmen now?  

There are many things we like about VV, but a few things that need to be "re-worked."  THe menus are a big one,

• Like 2

On 8/3/2024 at 12:24 PM, Goofyisme said:

Thank you to everyone for your quick and thoughtful responses.  They continue to peak my interest in VV.  Anymore comments are more than welcome.\

Thanks again.

I have cruised Carnival over 20 times, and I booked a VV cruise as sooooooo looking forward to it!

4 hours ago, IGGY63 said:

I have cruised Carnival over 20 times, and I booked a VV cruise as sooooooo looking forward to it!

You will think you are in heaven compared to Carnival.

• Like 1

Thanks so much to everyone for all the helpful comments. I have just booked a 7 night cruise from Athens to Palma in October in a Sea Terrace cabin as we’re quite keen to try VV. have been on other cruise lines but thought this might be something a bit different. From reading the comments it sounds like we’ll like it!

• Like 1