Caribbean cruise but might not get off at many ports

NM2020

Hi Everyone 

A but nervous about this point but wanted to get a view from more experienced cruisers.

I am a novice cruiser. Been on 1 cruise Alaska.

Really fancy a Caribbean cruise because we (wife) like to get away in January. Have been to the Caribbean twice before and been pampered at our hotels. Have therefore enjoyed the white sand and turquoise sea etc.

Really fancy being on a ship and being pampered.

I'll get to the point.

The itineraries offered by EJ seem great but personally when I drill down to the experience of a visit in port I am not enticed. I totally respect beauty, scenery and culture but feel I won't do it justice onshore in a matter of some hours.

We will be more than happy to limit our shore time to remain on the ship and relax and be pampered.

Do any of you approach a cruise in this way.

We do if we just feel like it or have been to the port many times.  For the most part the Caribbean islands are very easy to explore on your own.  Most ports are near to some stuff to do and we have never had issues with taxis.  Have just seen a driver we like the looks of and make a deal for a tour or whatever we might want to do that day.  But then the ship is great when most of your fellow passengers are gone.🍹

• Like 2

You might be very surprised at how enjoyable Caribbean Islands can be.  We are on Explora II in January and have already planned our days in port.  For example, Virgin Gorda is a wonderful, quiet, beautiful island.  We will spend the day on a sail around the islands with a stop for swimming and walking on amazingly beautiful beaches.  Our sailing also takes us to Antiqua.  We have been to this island many times, so we won't be taking an island tour.  However, there are some fantastic resort hotels on the island that do allow guests to visit for the day.  While there are many Caribbean Islands where we don't get off the ship, many others offer excellent opportunities to experience island life.  What islands will you visit on your cruise?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NM2020 said:

The itineraries offered by EJ seem great but personally when I drill down to the experience of a visit in port I am not enticed. I totally respect beauty, scenery and culture but feel I won't do it justice onshore in a matter of some hours

If you enjoyed the beaches when on your hotel based visit to the Caribbean, you should consider just going to beach resorts for the day at some of your ports of call. You can do this independently for far less that the Explora tours and can set your own times. Check our resorts near the port before you go on your cruise and see which offer day passes. Then take a taxi from the port. Or you can visit Shore Excursion sites and pay a little more to have it set up for you.

Enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

For example, Virgin Gorda is a wonderful, quiet, beautiful island.  We will spend the day on a sail around the islands with a stop for swimming and walking on amazingly beautiful beaches. 

Would you mind sharing what tour company you are using in Virgin Gorda?  I have been hoping to see what excursions Explora are offering before booking privately but it seems we won't have any info on excursions earlier than 90 days out and maybe not then.  I have been looking at the Oct 25 cruise that does a crossing and no excursions have been posted for their Caribbean stops. I am on the 14 day Dec 6 cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, NM2020 said:

Hi Everyone 

A but nervous about this point but wanted to get a view from more experienced cruisers.

I am a novice cruiser. Been on 1 cruise Alaska.

Really fancy a Caribbean cruise because we (wife) like to get away in January. Have been to the Caribbean twice before and been pampered at our hotels. Have therefore enjoyed the white sand and turquoise sea etc.

Really fancy being on a ship and being pampered.

I'll get to the point.

The itineraries offered by EJ seem great but personally when I drill down to the experience of a visit in port I am not enticed. I totally respect beauty, scenery and culture but feel I won't do it justice onshore in a matter of some hours.

We will be more than happy to limit our shore time to remain on the ship and relax and be pampered.

Do any of you approach a cruise in this way.

10000%!!!

Our first E cruise’s first port was in Martinique …. one  of THE dengue fever capitals of the Caribbean!

We were both “hmmmm” 🤔 and had a SPECTACULAR “day at sea” on board. Do NOT feel guilty in the least by ignoring people telling you that you should get off - do what you want.

As I tell friends, when you book a 7 night cruise, you’re actually paying for meals and accommodation (assuming boarding at noon and leaving your final day at 8 am) for 164 hours of fabulousness.

You are losing value for each minute that you’re not onboard!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nashna said:

You might be very surprised at how enjoyable Caribbean Islands can be.  We are on Explora II in January and have already planned our days in port.  For example, Virgin Gorda is a wonderful, quiet, beautiful island.  We will spend the day on a sail around the islands with a stop for swimming and walking on amazingly beautiful beaches.  Our sailing also takes us to Antiqua.  We have been to this island many times, so we won't be taking an island tour.  However, there are some fantastic resort hotels on the island that do allow guests to visit for the day.  While there are many Caribbean Islands where we don't get off the ship, many others offer excellent opportunities to experience island life.  What islands will you visit on your cruise?

May I ask what resort you will visit in Antigua?  We have done this the past two times we've visited (Blue Water and Hawksbill) but are not able to find any willing to book ahead of time for our cruise in November.  Do you just wait and call the day you arrive to see if they have availability?  

Not really...

I DO enjoy the amenities on the ship for sure and I understand where you are coming from.  Especially on no preferred port days(such as Falmouth/Nassau) when most aren't aboard BUT I cruise mostly to go to the ports.

Although I enjoy new ports, I enjoy most of the ones I've been to numerous times too.   Trust me...once you've been to San Juan, St Thomas, or Cozumel about 10 or more times each, you've done it justice! 

Also, I'll go on a cruise with some of the same 'ol ports on a different cruise line just for a different experience.  I've got a streak going of five cruises on five different cruise lines. I really don't see how folks can be "loyal" to any cruise line.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Would you mind sharing what tour company you are using in Virgin Gorda?  I have been hoping to see what excursions Explora are offering before booking privately but it seems we won't have any info on excursions earlier than 90 days out and maybe not then.  I have been looking at the Oct 25 cruise that does a crossing and no excursions have been posted for their Caribbean stops. I am on the 14 day Dec 6 cruise.

I'm waiting on this also.  We cruise Nov 22nd (Explora II) and were told the excursions would be posted 90 days out (which was 25 days ago when we were told last week).  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CJANDH said:

If you enjoyed the beaches when on your hotel based visit to the Caribbean, you should consider just going to beach resorts for the day at some of your ports of call. You can do this independently for far less that the Explora tours and can set your own times. Check our resorts near the port before you go on your cruise and see which offer day passes. Then take a taxi from the port. Or you can visit Shore Excursion sites and pay a little more to have it set up for you.

Enjoy your cruise.

Many times we will meet some fellow passengers as we exit the ship and agree to share a taxi tour which usually works out great 

Just allow time to return and board

Enjoy 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

It was Aristocats.  Home - Aristocat Day Sails in the BVI

They were excellent.  They provided an excellent lunch.  The cat was in great condition and the crew were very pleasant.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Arizona Travelers said:

May I ask what resort you will visit in Antigua?  We have done this the past two times we've visited (Blue Water and Hawksbill) but are not able to find any willing to book ahead of time for our cruise in November.  Do you just wait and call the day you arrive to see if they have availability?  

Blue Water.  We also did a Resort for the Day at a great resort that has gone out of business.  I do know that Blue Water is very particular about the number of day guests they serve.  We had stayed there many years ago, and I had mentioned that in my request.   

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with going on a vacation on a ship. You are technically paying for room and board and we recently cruised on Explora up the pacific west coast just to enjoy the ship as

we’ve been to all the ports before. It’s a beautiful ship with excellent food, so if you don’t want to get off, don’t. There are no rules on your own vacation, other than what you make for yourself. 

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. I will go forward without thinking I am a bit crazy. If there is an excursion which takes our fancy then great. if not then we will just be pampered.

NM

• Like 3

We only got off at one port on our YC MSC cruise last year (Caribbean).  We had been to all the ports many times (none were particular faves of ours).  The only reason we got off at the one port is because we go to a certain private beach club each time we're there.

We felt very pampered in YC (and I assume we will on our upcoming Explora Journey), so to us it was very relaxing and resort-like to remain onboard in a near empty YC area and be pampered by the staff.  That was also one of our first cruises without kids and I think we always felt obligated to get off in port when traveling with them.

If it's an itinerary with ports that I haven't been to, I do like to at least walk around the port area or try an excursion, if they look appealing.  A fly in the ointment is that my husband is averse to long bus rides from port to get to an excursion, so there's that hurdle.

I do wish Explora would post the excursions sooner.  I'm a long-range planner and it's driving me crazy not to see what they're offering for our Jan cruise.  No promises that we'll get off, but I am thinking I will book some kind of catamaran sail either through Explora or on my own.

• Like 2

On our Crystal cruise last year in the Caribbean Mr. Cruisr got off for 2 hours total and I got off for a total of 7 hours.  Love being on deck, having drinks brought to us, and just reading and chilling.  It is the best.

• Like 3

On 8/6/2024 at 2:21 PM, longboard55 said:

My issue with Caribbean is why do we need to always stop in the Bahamas

Bahamas has one of the highest percentages of pax not getting off ship. Once you have been there you know why.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Hudson Co. Landlubber said:

All 700 islands or just Nassau?

I love Great Exuma and Eleuthera.  Atlantis?... well I feel you there. 😁

a Bahamas stop almost always is Nassau. It is overrun with 20k pax at any given moment   It has all the charm of Canal Street in NYC.

The other islands are beautiful but generally off the radar for a cruise ship pax 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tfred said:

a Bahamas stop almost always is Nassau. It is overrun with 20k pax at any given moment   It has all the charm of Canal Street in NYC.

The other islands are beautiful but generally off the radar for a cruise ship pax 

Well you got me there because I love canal street also! It has it's own charms.  But as a new yorker I am weird that way...

Nassau I agree I do not need to return to again.

On 8/4/2024 at 3:44 PM, Arizona Travelers said:

Looks like Explora Journeys is offering Blue Waters in Antigua.  

Beach Relaxation at Blue Waters Resort & Spa
  • Spend a day at the smart Blue Waters Resort
  • Enjoy three private beaches around Soldier Bay
  • Unwind on a lounger by one of the resort’s pools
  • Dine at The Palm Restaurant for à la carte cuisine and buffet dishes
  • Sip your choice of premium drink from the open bar
Activity Level: Moderate
Features: Beachside Experience, Meal Included
time.svg6 Hrs
Meal Included
English

Minimum Age Requirement: 18

From €335.00 per guest

5 minutes ago, Nashna said:

Looks like Explora Journeys is offering Blue Waters in Antigua.  

Beach Relaxation at Blue Waters Resort & Spa
  • Spend a day at the smart Blue Waters Resort
  • Enjoy three private beaches around Soldier Bay
  • Unwind on a lounger by one of the resort’s pools
  • Dine at The Palm Restaurant for à la carte cuisine and buffet dishes
  • Sip your choice of premium drink from the open bar
Activity Level: Moderate
Features: Beachside Experience, Meal Included
time.svg6 Hrs
Meal Included
English

Minimum Age Requirement: 18

From €335.00 per guest

Hi Nancy 

My cruise is end of January and am wondering if you have any info on when excursions will post and be book able

Many thanks