Any Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon?

RickT

12 hours ago, George C said:

Sounds like the breakfast for champions, on vacation wife likes champagne with breakfast many times they offer mimosas and she will say hold the orange juice. I prefer a good Bloody Mary. 

Thumbs up to a Bloody Mary.

But no ice! Watered down tomato juice is gag-worthy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markeb said:

Sangiovese is the grape of Tuscany. And other parts of the world. It's the primary grape of Chianti and Brunello di Montalcino among others. It's a chameleon; the specific appellation and subappellation as well as the winemaker can have an amazing impact on the actual wine. I don't know about now, but there have been some decent Sangiovese wines in Virginia (Doukenie used to make them but not from Loudon County fruit). It can be a very light and fruity "pizza wine" to a much heavier red meat wine. Unfortunately, the basket bottle Chianti really ruined the market for an amazing wine...

California makes a number of them, and Washington makes some excellent versions. Hard to find if you're not a member (we are) but Long Shadows in Walla Wall makes an outstanding Sangiovese. If you only know the basket Chianti, you really should discover Sangiovese!

I found Walla Walla by accident on a driving trip from Oregon to Montana.  Walla Walla is its own region but is it considered part of Columbia Valley?  I bought wine from WW whenever I see it.  But I tend to stop when the price goes above $60.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markeb said:

Sangiovese is the grape of Tuscany. And other parts of the world. It's the primary grape of Chianti and Brunello di Montalcino among others. It's a chameleon; the specific appellation and subappellation as well as the winemaker can have an amazing impact on the actual wine. I don't know about now, but there have been some decent Sangiovese wines in Virginia (Doukenie used to make them but not from Loudon County fruit). It can be a very light and fruity "pizza wine" to a much heavier red meat wine. Unfortunately, the basket bottle Chianti really ruined the market for an amazing wine...

California makes a number of them, and Washington makes some excellent versions. Hard to find if you're not a member (we are) but Long Shadows in Walla Wall makes an outstanding Sangiovese. If you only know the basket Chianti, you really should discover Sangiovese!

At least one winery in Alexander Valley (California) makes a dry rose of Sangiovese that is very good. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 12:45 AM, NMTraveller said:

I am not sure what to think of Celebrity.  They have wine by the glass that would be on the AppleBees wine list. 

I’m not sure what to make of AppleBees.  They have wine by the glass that would be on Crlebrity’s wine list😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Seriously, and out of interest: does anyone,  apart from Americans drink Zinfandel????

Yes, in Italian wines it is Primitivo and it is lovely. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I found Walla Walla by accident on a driving trip from Oregon to Montana.  Walla Walla is its own region but is it considered part of Columbia Valley?  I bought wine from WW whenever I see it.  But I tend to stop when the price goes above $60.

We're going to be in the Columbia Valley at the end of the month. And yes, Columbia Valley is the largest AVA in Washington and most of the others are sub-appellations of the Columbia Valley AVA. That includes Walla Walla Valley, Yakima Valley, Horse Heaven Hills, Candy Mountain, Red Mountain, etc.

Price has gone all over the place, but you can get some really nice Washington State wine at or below that price point. And well above it...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Thumbs up to a Bloody Mary.

But no ice! Watered down tomato juice is gag-worthy.

If you drink the Bloody Mary quickly you don’t have to worry about ice melting.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Watered down tomato juice is gag-worthy.

In my humble opinion you did not need the 'watered down" in that sentence. 

I love tomato's, especially on sandwiches (BLT, burgers, etc..) but can only tolerate tomato bisque and cannot stand tomato juice or plain tomato soup. 

6 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I like Primitivo, especially with a meaty lasagna. 

I will order Chianti Classico with most Italian meals , ever since our cruise that had a stop in Florence and included a vineyard and wine tasting we make sure our Chianti is Classico which means it was produced in Tuscany area of Italy, would love to return to Italy and Florence again along with some of the other great cities.

• Like 1

My DW is not a wine fan like me so trying to talk her into any tour that involves a winery is not a simple task.  Likewise I have yet to convince her to go on a tour of a rum factory in the Caribbean. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I’m not sure what to make of AppleBees.  They have wine by the glass that would be on Crlebrity’s wine list😀

Well what confuses me about Celebrity is that they have the nice table clothes like you would see in a nice restaurant and then lower grade wines by the glass like in Applebee's.  Is Celebrity a discount brand or a more upscale brand?

Nothing says Relaxed Luxury more than a bottle of Two Buck Chuck on the wine list 🤣

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/8/2024 at 4:54 AM, zitsky said:

I have only bought a bottle once and that was on our last Eclipse cruise in Tuscan.  It was Decoy and that was my third choice.

When you live close to both Napa and Central Coast, CA and the “sommelier” in Luminae on Beyond offers you a white wine from Lodi, I just want to shake my head.  Even Ferrari Carano Fumé Blanc would be perfectly fine.

The average restaurant might offer wine from $20 to $100 a bottle, giving you a variety of choices.  I hope these Elevated wines really are an improvement.

BTW the Federalist is on sale at Costco for $8 as I know how much you love Lodi wines 😁

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

BTW the Federalist is on sale at Costco for $8 as I know how much you love Lodi wines 😁

Where do you think I was 30 minutes ago?  Next time you have an idea please text me at 867-5309.

For the record I have no problem drinking wine from Lodi.  I DO have a problem paying for a premium drink package on a cruise and being offered Lodi as my only choice, say the only Chardonnay or Cabernet.

If I walk into another Michelin Star restaurant and they do that, I may have to speak to the manager.  I did previously ask on here “why not Livermore?”.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Where do you think I was 30 minutes ago?  Next time you have an idea please text me at 867-5309.

For the record I have no problem drinking wine from Lodi.  I DO have a problem paying for a premium drink package on a cruise and being offered Lodi as my only choice, say the only Chardonnay or Cabernet.

If I walk into another Michelin Star restaurant and they do that, I may have to speak to the manager.  I did previously ask on here “why not Livermore?”.

LOL

Perfecto.

Hey
Jenny, Jenny, who can I turn to?
You give me something I could hold on to
I know you think I'm like the others before
Who saw your name and number on the wall
Jenny, I've got your number
I need to make you mine
Jenny, don't change your number
867-5309
(867-5309)
867-5309
(867-5309)
Jenny, Jenny, you're the girl for me
You don't know me, but you make me so happy
I tried to call you before, but I lost my nerve
I tried my imagination, but I was disturbed
I need to make you mine
867-5309
(867-5309)
867-5309
(867-5309)
I got it (I got it)
I got it
I got your number on the wall
I got it (I got it)
I got it
For a good time, for a good time call
Hey
I need to make you mine
Jenny, I call your number
867-5309
(867-5309)
867-5309
(867-5309)
(867-5309)
For the price of a dime I can always turn to you (867-5309)
867-5309
(867-5309)
867-5309
(867-5309)
(867-5309)
(867-5309)
(867-5309) 530
(867-5309) 530
(867-5309)
(867-5309)
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

LOL

Perfecto.

Hey
I need to make you mine
867-5309

For a good wine visit or call Lodi???

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I just had a Lodi Chardonnay at dinner tonight.  “The Chard”.  It’s not the worst thing I’ve ever had.  It’s better than drinking rubbing alcohol.  🤓.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I just had a Lodi Chardonnay at dinner tonight.  “The Chard”.  It’s not the worst thing I’ve ever had.  It’s better than drinking rubbing alcohol.  🤓.

I was at a tasting tonight where three of the wines on the table were from Lodi. Oak Farm Vineyards. Not someplace I remember when we lived in the Central Valley 20+ years ago.

A zin/syrah heavy red blend that was really nice.

A Zinfandel that was very good and amazingly drinkable for I think a 2021 (we had that with dinner). Zinfandel was the grape of Lodi when we lived there. Higher ABV and more fruit than Sonoma, but we always like them.

and...

An almost Burgundian Chardonnay. Minimal oak and minimal malolactic fermentation (no butter at all!). Really surprising as I don't think chard for the heat in Lodi (it was 14.5% ABV...)

I'm pretty sure none of them would have enough volume to get on a cruise ship, so I'm also pretty sure none of them were what you've been offered on Celebrity.

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

Lodi, Lodi, who can I turn to?
Lodi, I've got your number
I need to make you mine
Lodi, don't change your number
867-5309
(867-5309)
867-5309
(867-5309)
Lodi, Lodi, you're the girl for me
You don't know me, but you make me so happy
I tried to call you before, but I lost my nerve
I tried my imagination, but I was disturbed
Lodi, I've got your number
I need to make you mine
867-5309
(867-5309)
867-5309
(867-5309)
I got it (I got it)
I got it
I got your number on the wall
I got it (I got it)
I got it
For a good time, for a good time call
Hey
I need to make you mine
Lodi, I call your number
867-5309
(867-5309)
867-5309
(867-5309)
(867-5309)
For the price of a dime or a Celebrity wine, I can always turn to you (867-5309)
867-5309
(867-5309)
867-5309
(867-5309)
(867-5309)
(867-5309)
(867-5309) 530
(867-5309) 530
(867-5309)
(867-5309)

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

The short version:

(867-5309)
For the price of a dime or a Celebrity wine, I can always turn to you (867-5309)

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, markeb said:

I was at a tasting tonight where three of the wines on the table were from Lodi. Oak Farm Vineyards. Not someplace I remember when we lived in the Central Valley 20+ years ago.

A zin/syrah heavy red blend that was really nice.

A Zinfandel that was very good and amazingly drinkable for I think a 2021 (we had that with dinner). Zinfandel was the grape of Lodi when we lived there. Higher ABV and more fruit than Sonoma, but we always like them.

and...

An almost Burgundian Chardonnay. Minimal oak and minimal malolactic fermentation (no butter at all!). Really surprising as I don't think chard for the heat in Lodi (it was 14.5% ABV...)

I'm pretty sure none of them would have enough volume to get on a cruise ship, so I'm also pretty sure none of them were what you've been offered on Celebrity.

I’ll try to find a Lodi Zinfandel.  When I lived near San Francisco for 12 years I never had wine from Lodi.