Tipping

SipeShape

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

post #44

Got it. For me that 110 would be at least 150 or more. I am happy to pay CA and then more at the end of the cruise. Still a bargain in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, memoak said:

Got it. For me that 110 would be at least 150 or more. I am happy to pay CA and then more at the end of the cruise. Still a bargain in my opinion. 

having a choice is a beautiful thing

• Like 3

On 8/8/2024 at 11:58 AM, SipeShape said:

Yes, a loaded question. Just went on a 7 day cruise in April, bought the plus package that covers $16-$18 per day crew appreciation. Is this money paid to our room steward, if not what’s the breakdown? I understand it’s up to each individual discretion how much you give. Just trying to figure out who I should tip more often who’s not included in this gratuity. I have a 12 day cruise come up in January on the Emerald.

Why not just pretend that you are from any country in the world except the United States and just tip the required amount and no more.  Then you would not have to worry about it.

DON

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2024 at 5:01 AM, donaldsc said:

Why not just pretend that you are from any country in the world except the United States and just tip the required amount and no more.  Then you would not have to worry about it.

DON

Boom! Exactly. So simple.. so effective. 🙂 

• Like 2

On 8/9/2024 at 1:20 PM, memoak said:

It’s not the ones who don’t want to tip extra that is perfectly alright. It is the people who pull the CA because they claim not to believe in tipping who bug me

The same US accounting regulations that require the monies to go to the employees also require that they be optional. Since that is the way the system is set up it is up to each individual to decide if and what they will tip.

What does get me is those that do not want to pay the full amount, that for whatever reason, feel like they have to justify their actions by attacking a system that yields benefits to the company, the employees and passengers compared to a system where there is not gratuity pool, all payments to crew is salary (the same amount as they receive under the current system) , and the fares are raised by the same amount as the recommended daily gratuity.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 11:44 AM, Cruise-a-Hallic said:

Reading this thread makes me sick, how cheap and priveledged most people are who are are complaining about first world problems and whether or not they've already paid enough CA to the hardworking crew who spend 9 months at a time on ship far away form their homes and loved ones. You're spending thousands of dollars to vacation. What's another hundred or two in tips at that point for hard workers making your trip that much more enjoyable?  I guess that's why rich people stay rich, they're too cheap to show real appreciation to people working hard to make their vacation special.

Look, I get that tipping in the US has gotten way too far out of hand.  I don't think someone deserves a tip for handing you a bag over a counter for picking up take-out. But, I do not make that same assumpion while traveling (cruise or resorts) on vacation.

Now, if you got crappy service at all points of your cruise, don't tip.  Simple as that. 

But, remember the difference between ordinary and extaordinary is that little "extra".  If a crew member goes beyond the "ordinary" for you, you should return the favor with some "extra" $.

Finally a voice of reason......

On 8/9/2024 at 4:20 PM, memoak said:

It’s not the ones who don’t want to tip extra that is perfectly alright. It is the people who pull the CA because they claim not to believe in tipping who bug me

On 8/9/2024 at 4:25 PM, voljeep said:

having a choice is a beautiful thing

As long as the cruiseline says CA is discretionary, passengers will and can decide to pay them or not.

No point letting it BUG YOU.

Nice to have a choice and very easy to just prepay CA online before cruise and be done with it.

On 8/9/2024 at 11:44 AM, Cruise-a-Hallic said:

Reading this thread makes me sick, how cheap and priveledged most people are who are are complaining about first world problems and whether or not they've already paid enough CA to the hardworking crew who spend 9 months at a time on ship far away form their homes and loved ones. You're spending thousands of dollars to vacation. What's another hundred or two in tips at that point for hard workers making your trip that much more enjoyable?  I guess that's why rich people stay rich, they're too cheap to show real appreciation to people working hard to make their vacation special.

Look, I get that tipping in the US has gotten way too far out of hand.  I don't think someone deserves a tip for handing you a bag over a counter for picking up take-out. But, I do not make that same assumpion while traveling (cruise or resorts) on vacation.

Now, if you got crappy service at all points of your cruise, don't tip.  Simple as that. 

But, remember the difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little "extra".  If a crew member goes beyond the "ordinary" for you, you should return the favor with some "extra" $.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to assume someone is privileged or cheap, but I agree with what you say here.  Although, I fully believe, tipping extra is discretionary, they've clearly built the CA into the cost structure so we should just assume it's part of the cost of the cruise and stop trying to consider it extra payment.

I have to admit a sense of joy when we get great service and we can afford to reward it with extra compensation.  I don't necessarily think someone deserves more or less depending on where they are from, but there is a sense of special happiness having the chance to reward someone who really needs it and is working very hard to earn it.

I don't have any experience with bad service, it's never happened for us... but we have had some exceptional service over the years and, we felt, it deserved to be rewarded.  The experience is a combination of the vessel, food, entertainment, service, and destinations so all things play together to make for great vacations.

• Like 4