Malta, Morocco & Med excursions questions

stu52

Thanks for starting this thread.  We are on the February 22 sailing and look forward to reports from those of you on the earlier dates.  We are appreciating the visa advise for Algiers and will keep a look out for future information.  

For Morocco, consider visiting the capital, Rabat, instead of Casablanca. Casablanca is a crowded, dirty city, whereas Rabat has the royal palace, mausoleums to past leaders, and a wonderful casbah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

For Morocco, consider visiting the capital, Rabat, instead of Casablanca. Casablanca is a crowded, dirty city, whereas Rabat has the royal palace, mausoleums to past leaders, and a wonderful casbah.

How long a drive from the ship docked in Casablanca to Rabat?  Any recommendations for a tour company  to use?

31 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

How long a drive from the ship docked in Casablanca to Rabat?  Any recommendations for a tour company  to use?

About 1 hour.

We booked the Viking tour.

By the way, Rick’s Cafe in current-day Casablanca is a pure re-creation to part tourist’s from their money. The real movie scenes were filmed at Warner Brothers Burbank Studios. Imagine how unexciting a city is if one of the highlight’s is a fake movie set!

• Like 2

On 8/8/2024 at 7:58 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Who did you use?  How much?  TIA

From the port of Almeria (not one of the ports on this voyage) we used Pepe Tours for an enjoyable full day tour of the city of Granada and a guided tour of the Alhambra; cost was around $180/pp for a group size of 14-16 people or so.

For this voyage, Shore Excursions Group (another company we've used successfully) currently lists a Granada/Alhambra tour out of Malaga starting at $159/pp.

It's worth checking out both private tour providers and 'brokers' since from time to time a specific tour/date might be available through one but not the other.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2024 at 1:29 AM, Peregrina651 said:

We are booked for January, 2026 and have done a number of ports on this itinerary with Viking.

We booked the cruise because of Malta and Morocco -- and Tunis if we actually get there (this will be our 4th attempt with Viking). Corsica and Cadiz are an added bonus.

Barcelona, arrive early and stay late, there is just so much to see in the city and in nearby provincial cities and towns. One time, instead of staying in Barcelona before our cruise, we flew to Bilbao to see the Guggenheim Museum and its building designed by Frank Gehry.

I've already done the following ports with Viking: Barcelona, Marseilles, Rome, Algiers and Malaga.

In Marseilles, we took the tour to Aix-en-Provence. It was during Christmas vacation and the town was hopping. Nice walking tour and then time on our own.

In Rome, if you want a less wearing day than going into Rome, either go to Ostia, the ancient seaport, or to see the Etruscan Necropolis outside of Tarquina and the Archeology Museum in Tarquina --or even just tour what Civitavecchia has to offer.

Algiers was a big disappointment. We took the included tour. Big mistake. This trip we will do it differently. Because of visa requirements, unless you want to spend $160pp for a visa, we are limited to the tours offered by Viking.  There are two ways to get in and out of the port: on a Viking tours bus or on your own with the $160pp visas in your hand.

Malaga, we did not go up to Granada. We have been before. Besides which it was January 5 and Malaga was holding its annual Arrival of the Three Kings parade (called "La Cabalgata", one of many going on around the country; always held on Epiphany Eve and always quite an experience). Unfortunately, the parade did not step off until 6pm, as the captain blasted the horn and sailed us off into the set sun. But we did get to enjoy the rush of the last minute shoppers and the cafe-bars full to capacity with Malaguenos anticipating the holiday the next day -- and the parade that evening.  We had a great day in Malaga -- the Picasso Museum followed by the Thyssen Museum and preceeded by an unexpected visit to an exhibition of one of my favorite painters Joaquin Sorolla. No idea what it is going to be like at the other end of January.

No idea what I want to do in January, 2026.

Please share what the various circumstances were for missing Tunis a whopping 4 times. Crossing fingers that we make it!

1 hour ago, Hazel52 said:

Please share what the various circumstances were for missing Tunis a whopping 4 times. Crossing fingers that we make it!

The first time was major mechanical issues that kept us in Barcelona for the duration of the non-cruise and the other two times was issues of safety at Tunis.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm booked on the 16 November sailing, and will try to do a "semi live' reports while on board. While its a new itinerary, Viking has "attempted" to call on all the ports previously. Have decided to not worry about visa for Algeria and will use Viking tour. 

Edited by knoxclone
  • Like 4

On 8/9/2024 at 8:05 PM, LindaS272 said:

Let us know @MikeyB what TellUs says. We’re booked on the March 2025 cruise (now sold out).

Monday update-

Not much to report.

1- Tellus called me!  I know why they never reply in writing.....can you guess?

The individual said that a visa is required and that they have no responsibility when it comes to visas.  I told her, again, (are my commas correct) that -

The US State Dept website says "Yes, unless entering via cruise ship or traveling to certain cities in the south of Algeria.

The People's Democratic Republic of Algeria website says "Travelers to Algeria on a cruise ship do not need a visa".

Vikings link to GenVisa has no sailings on the Vela that requires a visa.

I told Tellus I have my TA investigating.

She then replied that she will have Viking contact my TA to find out what my TA finds out and if necessary they will update their info.   Amazing

2-I tried calling the People's Democratic Republic of Algeria (exhausting) but they are closed on Monday.

Will follow up, but I think we all know whether a visa is required or not.

5 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

Monday update-

Not much to report.

1- Tellus called me!  I know why they never reply in writing.....can you guess?

The individual said that a visa is required and that they have no responsibility when it comes to visas.  I told her, again, (are my commas correct) that -

The US State Dept website says "Yes, unless entering via cruise ship or traveling to certain cities in the south of Algeria.

The People's Democratic Republic of Algeria website says "Travelers to Algeria on a cruise ship do not need a visa".

Vikings link to GenVisa has no sailings on the Vela that requires a visa.

I told Tellus I have my TA investigating.

She then replied that she will have Viking contact my TA to find out what my TA finds out and if necessary they will update their info.   Amazing

2-I tried calling the People's Democratic Republic of Algeria (exhausting) but they are closed on Monday.

Will follow up, but I think we all know whether a visa is required or not.

The funniest part of this is that, just today, Viking contacted us for our Dec. 1st sailing, specifically telling us NOT to apply for our own visas.

12AUG2024

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming Malta, Morocco & The Mediterranean voyage.

Your voyage includes a visit to Algeria, a country that currently requires a visa. We would like to advise you that Viking will handle the visa procurement process for you, during your voyage. No action is required by you. Please do not apply independently for the visa, as it could potentially complicate or disrupt the process of obtaining the visa on your behalf.

Should you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact your travel advisor or Viking at 1-855-300-3970, between 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT.

Sincerely,

Viking

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, May B said:

The funniest part of this is that, just today, Viking contacted us for our Dec. 1st sailing, specifically telling us NOT to apply for our own visas.

12AUG2024

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming Malta, Morocco & The Mediterranean voyage.

Your voyage includes a visit to Algeria, a country that currently requires a visa. We would like to advise you that Viking will handle the visa procurement process for you, during your voyage. No action is required by you. Please do not apply independently for the visa, as it could potentially complicate or disrupt the process of obtaining the visa on your behalf.

Should you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact your travel advisor or Viking at 1-855-300-3970, between 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT.

Sincerely,

Viking

If this wasn't so sad, it would be funny.

Perhaps it due to Viking now reading past the word "Yes" on the State Department website.

Thank you for posting. 

If you read the requirements for obtaining a visa, you would scream.

No screaming now required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

12AUG2024

Dear Viking Guest,

Sincerely,

Viking

Seems pretty definitive. Maybe this will quell the discussion (at least until the first cruise!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

12AUG2024

Dear Viking Guest,

Sincerely,

Viking

Other thoughts I’m having about this are that Viking would prefer you go under their umbrella and not do an independent tour. In the past they have required that—I think in Tunisia & then of course during Covid Welcome Back cruises (Iceland).

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Other thoughts I’m having about this are that Viking would prefer you go under their umbrella and not do an independent tour. In the past they have required that—I think in Tunisia & then of course during Covid Welcome Back cruises (Iceland).

That is probably true, but I would also say that the “no visa for Algeria”is really only the stance for this cruise.  We don’t go for another year, and it may change again, even several times, before that.  So I will be checking again next year about this time.  

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

That is probably true, but I would also say that the “no visa for Algeria”is really only the stance for this cruise.  We don’t go for another year, and it may change again, even several times, before that.  So I will be checking again next year about this time.  

We”re going in March next year. Nothing on MVJ about any required docs.

3 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

We”re going in March next year. Nothing on MVJ about any required docs.

We go in Nov. 2025.  Our last invoice, dated July when we added the Madrid pre-extension, says visa required.  So I’m just not going to worry about it for another year.  Next thing is getting passport renewed when we return this November.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, May B said:

12AUG2024

Dear Viking Guest,

Sincerely,

Viking

My gut says that if anyone was thinking of using the Viking visa to venture out on their own or with a private guide that they should confirm with Viking exactly what the visa Viking plans to obtain on behalf of each passenger permits the holder of said visa to do while in port. Do not assume anything; ask and question everything. 

Personally, I'm taking a Viking optional excursion. I've taken the included and it was disappointing. I would like to see something different this time.

• Like 5

I just got off the phone with the Algerian consulate in NYC.

I spoke to the person who handles Visas and he confirmed...wait for it..... that you do NOT need a visa if arriving by cruise ship.

Time for a "gut" check, especially if you plan to eat ashore while in Algeria.  :)

12 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

I just got off the phone with the Algerian consulate in NYC.

I spoke to the person who handles Visas and he confirmed...wait for it..... that you do NOT need a visa if arriving by cruise ship.

Time for a "gut" check, especially if you plan to eat ashore while in Algeria.  🙂

Did you specifically ask if you would be able to walk around the city on your own?

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Did you specifically ask if you would be able to walk around the city on your own?

Good point. We were in Algiers in 2019. We didn’t need a visa either, but we needed to stay with the group. Our passports were collected and return when we boarded after the excursion. Our bus was always in the sights of a police car too.

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Are you looking for the honest answer, or the answer anyone can give you on CruiseCritic?

I thought so.

No, I did not ask the visa person whether I was free to walk around on my own.

I just said I was arriving by a large boat.  He said no visa required.  I know giving information over the phone has little true value if a visa is actually required.

Both the State department and the Algerian consulate says it's not needed.

There are no distinctions for being a ship's tour.

What happened in 2019 is not relevant to 2024.

In a country called the People's Democratic Republic of Algeria, can you really not allow the "People's"  to not walk around the city on your own?

2 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Are you looking for the honest answer, or the answer anyone can give you on CruiseCritic?

I thought so.

No, I did not ask the visa person whether I was free to walk around on my own.

I just said I was arriving by a large boat.  He said no visa required.  I know giving information over the phone has little true value if a visa is actually required.

Both the State department and the Algerian consulate says it's not needed.

There are no distinctions for being a ship's tour.

What happened in 2019 is not relevant to 2024.

In a country called the People's Democratic Republic of Algeria, can you really not allow the "People's"  to not walk around the city on your own?

Just get the Algerian visa if you plan to wander around on your own.  We will book a Viking excursion and not worry about the visa. Seems pretty clear to me from all the input on this thread, and other research.  Why angst?

• Like 1

I heard back from the Algerian consulate. 

Here's what I wrote:

We will be in Algiers for one day only, arriving via Viking Saturn Cruise Ship. Tuesday, December 10, 2024. My understanding is that Viking will get an all ship visa that would apply for those of us on a Viking excursion. My question: if we decide to explore on our own, or through a local tour operator would that same visa be valid? Or... would we have to apply for a visa ourselves?

and here is their response:

Hello

as long as you are traveling with a cruise ship you don't need a visa for your staying in Algiers. But if you are planning to visit Algeria on your own you have to get a tourist visa from our consulate.

for more information feel free to visit our website visa section / tourist visa.

you can apply for a visa two months before your trip.

Best regards

We've just decided to do 2 excursions with Viking and be done with it.

deb

• Like 3