Buying OBC

This was my first time buying OBC and I did not know that it does not show up in your account until you board the ship.

I'm posting this to save anyone else (who is new to this) a phone call. The representative said that this should have been explained when I made my purchase...but it wasn't, nor was any receipt sent...hence the phone call.

Did the rep confirm that the OBC was visible to them to see on your account?  I have never purchased OBC, but for every  purchase we have made pre cruise we have received a email confirmation.  Since you don’t have that I would suggest you have a something showing you paid $xxx via credit/debit, just in case.

• Thanks 1

I looked into doing this online in the 'gift' area, but was dissuaded by the fact that it had to be done $25 at a time... not in increments of $25, but multiple full data input for each $25 gift, so $500 requires 20X procedures.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Assume you are purchasing a cash OBC for yourself and not applying credit card or other points? If so, to add, it may not actually show up on your on board account until day 2.  If no other was provided, your receipt should be confirmation of the transaction on your CC.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

What is the end game to this?  I just let things go on my account and settle with the card on file..I see no need to give Celebrity my money upfront..am I missing something obvious? 

I could see the point if you paid them $100 upfront and received $150 on board, or something similar.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

What is the end game to this?  I just let things go on my account and settle with the card on file..I see no need to give Celebrity my money upfront..am I missing something obvious? 

I could see the point if you paid them $100 upfront and received $150 on board, or something similar.

Gifting to someone else.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

In our experience refundable third party OBC for a passenger typically comes from family, friends, or a TA.  Not usually direct from that passenger.  JMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

What is the end game to this?

Amex Promotion.  Spend $500 get $100 statement credit.  I did this twice in June and once a couple of years ago.  I called to buy $500 in OBC, I was sent a receipt with the subject "Bkg: Amenity Confirmation for Reservation ID:".

Since it's refundable OBC it isn't available for use on Cruise Planner prior to the trip, but if you don't use it during the trip it will be returned to the credit card used to cover your seapass account or taken in cash from Guest Relations on the last day of the cruise.

When buying in the gift area I think you can add 10 to the cart then checkout and then repeat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Amex Promotion.  Spend $500 get $100 statement credit.  I did this twice in June and once a couple of years ago.  I called to buy $500 in OBC, I was sent a receipt with the subject "Bkg: Amenity Confirmation for Reservation ID:".

Since it's refundable OBC it isn't available for use on Cruise Planner prior to the trip, but if you don't use it during the trip it will be returned to the credit card used to cover your seapass account or taken in cash from Guest Relations on the last day of the cruise.

When buying in the gift area I think you can add 10 to the cart then checkout and then repeat.

That would be a credit card related OBC as I referenced earlier. Many CC's have similar programs.  That is different from a third party (passenger, family member, friend, TA) provided OBC. When the OP indicated they were buying the OBC that implied (at least to me) that it was as a result one of these sources as a purchased OBC, not a CC program.  Just trying to clarify.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That would be a credit card related OBC as I referenced earlier. Many CC's have similar programs.  That is different from a third party (passenger, family member, friend, TA) provided OBC. When the OP indicated they were buying the OBC that implied (at least to me) that it was as a result one of these sources as a purchased OBC, not a CC program.  Just trying to clarify.

No I was buying OBC for myself as a qualifying Celebrity purchase to trigger an Amex offer resulting in a statement credit from Amex.   Any qualifying spend from Celebrity would trigger the offer, payment of final payment, payment of a Cruise Planner purchase etc.

I've also heard others buying OBC to take advantage of a favorable exchange rate. 

@canderson asked what the end game of this was and I answered their question.  My $500 OBC only cost me $400.   I did this twice for 2 cruises in June/July for a savings of $200.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

No I was buying OBC for myself as a qualifying Celebrity purchase to trigger an Amex offer resulting in a statement credit from Amex.   Any qualifying spend from Celebrity would trigger the offer, payment of final payment, payment of a Cruise Planner purchase etc.

Sorry I misunderstood that.  But I also was framing my response relative to the OP's question that I interpreted as an OBC deposit not being related to a CC offer.

Make sure you get a receipt.  I learned a painful lesson.  I had purchased OBC for myself and was told it would not show for a couple of days in my account.  However, after the 4th day, I went to Guest Relations and they had to call Miami to investigate.  It did take awhile for the process to play off.  Last time for me purchasing OBC without traveling without a receiopt.

• Thanks 1

I just got off a cruise.  Called in ahead of time and got $500 OBC to trigger Amex offer.  Didn't use any of it.  I was told that I'd be refunded the $500 to my credit card on file.  I had put my debit card on file to get the $500 back to my checking account.  Just got off today; expect I'll get the credit in a few days. 

• Like 2

On 8/9/2024 at 9:39 AM, jelayne said:

Did the rep confirm that the OBC was visible to them to see on your account?  I have never purchased OBC, but for every  purchase we have made pre cruise we have received a email confirmation.  Since you don’t have that I would suggest you have a something showing you paid $xxx via credit/debit, just in case.

Yes, he easily saw it. Apparently it is considered in the "gift" category which is why it doesn't show up till you board. At my request he sent me a receipt.

On 8/9/2024 at 10:27 AM, canderson said:

I looked into doing this online in the 'gift' area, but was dissuaded by the fact that it had to be done $25 at a time... not in increments of $25, but multiple full data input for each $25 gift, so $500 requires 20X procedures.

I called and was able to do $500 in one transaction...the $100 AmEx credit showed up very quickly.

On 8/9/2024 at 11:56 AM, PTC DAWG said:

I wanted to make a $500 purchase to qualify for a cc rebate. Didn't want to do it by purchasing shore excursions incase we changed our mind. This amount will cover the tips which I do not pay in advance.

On 8/9/2024 at 2:16 PM, wrk2cruise said:

Thanks wrk2cruise, you explained it better than I!