Jewel unable to return to Amsterdam today

She is currently docked at Ijmuiden

Dear Guest,

Before you head to the terminal for our August 10, 2024, sailing onboard Jewel of the Seas, we have some important information to share with you.

Due to a port disruption that made it unsafe to pass the locks to Amsterdam, Jewel of the Seas will now debark its current sailing in IJmuiden. As a result, our check-in and boarding will be delayed. Please do not plan on arriving at the terminal until we reach back out to you with updated arrival times. We are committed to providing you with an update by 12:00 PM local time.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. We look forward to welcoming you onboard Jewel of the Seas.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Extinction Rebellion activists chained and glued themselves to the locks. Police didn't bother moving them away from the locks as it was only a demonstration and there was no life-threatening situation. Result is that passengers and luggage have to be transported to and from Amsterdam by busses and trucks. Good work, XR!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We're in the middle of this right now. Checked our luggage and now waiting for a bus over to the other terminal.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Renee, Where are you?  We're in 2 room. 1st row, left side.

I'm guessing we're in room 2. We're 6 rows back. What are you wearing? I'm in tan shorts and a pinkish shirt. We are in aside seats.

Edited by ReneeFLL

2 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I'm guessing we're in room 2. We're 6 rows back. What are you wearing? I'm in tan shorts and a pinkish shirt. We are in aside seats.

Black pants, strip top

We are not in Amsterdam until 8 days from now (Serenade).  Going to assume things back to normal by the time we get there...but no worries (for us anyway) as we are on ship until back to Miami.  

Though I am sure there could be some tours disrupted if it still going on!  😮 

• Like 1

We were on the July 29 - Aug. 10 cruise. What a disembarkation mess. We did self-depart and expected to be off the ship at 7:15 am, to get the shuttle to the airport for our 11:00 AM flight to Philadelphia. At breakfast, we learned our flight was cancelled due to weather in Philly so our plane never arrived. Then the Captain announced we could not go through the canal lock so we docked 30 minutes from the terminal. We made other last-minute flight arrangements -- ironically through Reykjavik! -- and made it home safely. What an adventure!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, kidz_rn said:

We were on the July 29 - Aug. 10 cruise. What a disembarkation mess. We did self-depart and expected to be off the ship at 7:15 am, to get the shuttle to the airport for our 11:00 AM flight to Philadelphia. At breakfast, we learned our flight was cancelled due to weather in Philly so our plane never arrived. Then the Captain announced we could not go through the canal lock so we docked 30 minutes from the terminal. We made other last-minute flight arrangements -- ironically through Reykjavik! -- and made it home safely. What an adventure!

You lucked out.  I know someone checked into our hotel because their flight was also canceled.  Don't know to where.  

• Like 2

On 8/10/2024 at 10:46 PM, njkruzer said:

Luggage finally all on board about 10:20.  Sailed 10:45.  

I didn't realize it was that late when we left. I was already in bed.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The only protesters at the first lock are some sheep. Looks like we will make it in. Maybe going in a day early helped.

20240821_085957.thumb.jpg.331202fcb2d56cc7b3a5a18527b83ca2.jpg

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

The only protesters at the first lock are some sheep. Looks like we will make it in. Maybe going in a day early helped.

20240821_085957.thumb.jpg.331202fcb2d56cc7b3a5a18527b83ca2.jpg

Happy you made it in without hassle.  We on Serenade tried to come in a day early, got into the lock, tied up....then had to drop the lines and back out.  Protestors blocking the lock opening operation.  

We had to go back out to sea and sit there all day until the city officials, and the police got involved (finally) to stop the trespassing and destruction/vandalism the protestors were doing at the locks.    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Happy you made it in without hassle.  We on Serenade tried to come in a day early, got into the lock, tied up....then had to drop the lines and back out.  Protestors blocking the lock opening operation.  

We had to go back out to sea and sit there all day until the city officials, and the police got involved (finally) to stop the trespassing and destruction/vandalism the protestors were doing at the locks.    

Glad the police finally got involved.

• Like 2

Finally we are in! Just going thru the sec9nd set of locks. No protestors in sight, at least not on our side of the ship. I don't know about the other side.

20240821_093242.thumb.jpg.2fe4948afc2e55e782411cb59eaad5d6.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Finally we are in! Just going thru the sec9nd set of locks. No protestors in sight, at least not on our side of the ship. I don't know about the other side.

20240821_093242.thumb.jpg.2fe4948afc2e55e782411cb59eaad5d6.jpg

Excellent!  Enjoy!   We got a kick out of walking around the city.  So much activity...and I am not talking cars.   Many trains, huge train station, lots of canals with various types of boats/ferries...and a massive amount of bicycles of all sorts.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

It is about time the police ended this nonsense.

• Like 4