LIVE from Celebrity Infinity: Best of Greece August 17, 2024

16 hours ago, hcat said:

We went at a diff time of yr.. much less crowded but still steep, hot and slippery . A memorable experience but one and done for us..

But you  manages to get great photos..hope your phones recovered!  Could insulated lunch bag with cold pack have helped??

That’s an idea-I’m sure it would have made a difference.  Just not sure we had much more room to carry a lunch bag on top of all our other hot weather accessories, lol!

16 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

If my phone overheats, the first thing I do is removing the protective case.

We did this as well.  Still took some time to cool down, but a good solution nonetheless. 🙂

August 24, 2024: Athens (Part 3)

After the Acropolis, we headed to the Panathenaic Stadium (Olympic Stadium).  I wanted to get a photo of the 3 of us standing on the podium: our mom in 1st, me in 2nd, and my (younger) sister in 3rd.  It was so much fun!!!!

IMG_1257.thumb.jpeg.5083f3b32d434de60d6f861413f0ab19.jpeg

IMG_1258.thumb.jpeg.ecb22187ac3e164399b8c2fdab81a608.jpeg

Not a lot of people there, but it’s common for visitors to walk/run the track.  Had it been cooler, we might have walked it.  But some of the flooring was black and it was radiating heat.  So back to the car we went.  They also have an Olympic museum you can visit with the Olympic torches in there too.  Maria told us a quick bit about it and it sounded quite interesting.

We also made a quick stop by the Parliament. 

IMG_1259.thumb.jpeg.57ff187699bbb7126a313ab0f9071405.jpeg

From there, we headed to one of the most touristy and quirky spots: Little Kook.  Now, I’m sure this might be a new place for some of you and have no fear, you are not missing out.  LOL.  It is an Instagram famous cafe that changes its theming.  At the moment, it is Snow White themed to the MAX.  Even the workers wear Snow White and Prince Charming costumes.  They have a Christmas themed shop, too.  Very eclectic place and Little Kook is the perfect name. 

IMG_1260.thumb.jpeg.98cf35bc123cf6ea790e1f67434ade77.jpeg

Then Maria took us to the flea market which was not far by foot.  We strolled some of the shops and found ourselves enjoying lunch at O Thanasis.  Another very popular place, but this one is much more Greek.  I’m sure many of you have been here as well.  Maria recommended we order the half portions unless we were starving and we are very glad she did.  The half portion is 2 kebabs.  The full portion is 4. 😳

IMG_1261.thumb.jpeg.9d432b55767e62051bd5aee099f080f8.jpeg

IMG_1262.thumb.jpeg.31e0d8ad9fcee1a1a6dde83d8bb8848a.jpeg

Our last stop was the Athen’s Cathedral.  Actually the first and only cathedral/church we went inside during this trip.  

IMG_1264.thumb.jpeg.75be5999a133365a0989fd311b848b2d.jpeg

IMG_1265.thumb.jpeg.6274a0b69db8a0cf54538fc2eb0fdab9.jpeg

And then our driver was waiting for us as we exited and we headed to our hotel.

Tour Provider Info: Maria

She gives tours in English and Japanese (and Greek of course).  She is fluent in many other languages, but does not currently offer tours in those.  She is licensed to give tours of the Acropolis.  Always super quick to reply to me via email and WhatsApp. 

IMG_1266.jpeg.901421559fb44af5e446736946789173.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

August 24, 2024: Athens (Part 4)

We arrived to our hotel, Intercontinental Athens, at 12 noon.  I know, very early.

I had requested an early check in and let them know our arrival time.  To our surprise, our rooms were ready!  

They’re your average Intercontinental rooms.  They weren’t dirty, but they weren’t clean.  Not sure we would stay here again, but it worked for our short stay.

IMG_1267.thumb.jpeg.371a2c4ba4869395c6f496eaec404028.jpeg

IMG_1268.thumb.jpeg.e4a4889bc1ebe705165030016d856d00.jpeg

We relaxed in the room, cooled down and got ready to leave for the airport at 4:30 in the morning the next day.  They also delivered the birthday cake I had ordered.  It was very good.

IMG_1269.thumb.jpeg.7708ddadd999bd8a153c6d8410b7814f.jpeg

And then for dinner, we walked around the hotel and found a place called Vassilis Grill house.  We ordered takeout from here and brought it back to the room.  There were several locals eating there, though. 

IMG_1270.thumb.jpeg.ac4eb491c7cbc93a03d798eaa2e562b8.jpeg

IMG_1271.thumb.jpeg.84e7d57aaa0b085be72744bd4573c69a.jpeg

Then it was time for bed (even though it was still daylight)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are quite boring people and do things a bit differently.  You’ve probably figured this out if you’ve been following along.  

We enjoy taking food to-go and eating in our room, getting to bed early, and like to avoid heat and crowds.

Yes, we know August in the Med is not an ideal time to avoid these things.  But we loved the itinerary and the fact it started on our mom’s actual birthday.

We also like the abridged version of tours.  We don’t spend hours and hours at one place-we like to see a little of everything and experience more of the off the beaten path things.

Just wanted to add a note since I know we are not the norm-checking into our hotel at noon and basically staying in for the night.  

But it works perfectly for us and we love to travel this way! 🤩

• Like 7

Just need to post our travel day back home and then I’m all caught up!

I know this LIVE isn’t as detailed as my prior one.  The heat really got to us and then the food poisoning.

If there is anything I can provide more details for and include more photos, please don’t hesitate to ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2024 at 4:12 AM, love2crews. said:

I had actually taken a screenshot of the questionnaire in case anyone had questions, lol.  They did not ask anything related to COVID.

IMG_1206.thumb.jpeg.633171369599d2a50aca7410e63bb098.jpeg

Thank you.   Wish I had a small wager on the answer.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you sooo much for your live report!  End of September I'll be onboard for the same cruise with a group from my neighborhood.  We'll all so excited.  Safe travels home for you and your family.

• Like 3

Just caught up with your live review. It was nice to see your photos of  the sunshine and the high temperatures. We disembarked the Apex last Friday having completed a Norwegian Fjords itinerary where we had a couple of pleasant days but the majority of days were rainy and miserable topped by the return sea day back to Southampton through what were  rough seas and  Force 9 gale.

Obviously we didn't go for the weather but the wonderful views. :)) 

• Like 2

Thanks for your review. We were on the cruise and it was a great extra break. Very relaxing as we had been to the first 3 stops several times before. It was our 3rd Celebrity cruise this year having been on the Ascent for a week in January and a 13 nighter on the Millenium in May all the way around Japan.

As for Heathrow as we virtually always travel from there on BA our gate number is on our boarding pass when we check in our luggage. In the Tuscan Grill I had the Filet Mignon and it was an absolutely beautiful steak cooked to perfection.

Shame you didn't post a photo of the three of you as I don't know if we saw you around the ship.

• Like 2

Thank you for your review!  It has been very helpful to me as we are taking almost the same itinerary leaving Athens on the Sept 19th.  However, we are arriving at ATH on the afternoon of the 9th and then taking a DIY land tour, returning to Athens on the 13th.  My review will include comments on the places we visited and stayed overnight.

• Like 2

August 25, 2024: Travel Day (Part 1)

We started the day not so bright, but very early.  George with Magini Transfers picked us up from our hotel at 4:30am.  So early, that we left before the flight attendants and pilots who were also up early and waiting for their ride. 

We got to the airport right about 5am.  Our flight was at 8:05 with British Airways and we were heading to LHR for our (tight) connection.  We always get to the airport 3 hours early when we travel internationally.  Unfortunately, the BA desk did not open until 5:35am.  Every other airline desk was open.  We have not been so happy with BA.  

IMG_1304.thumb.jpg.f1392576f8fa4eb3bf637c4d47db32e3.jpg

Anyways, we waited in the queue so we were ready when the desk opened.  Our connection at LHR was 1 hour 35 minutes ( 35 minutes more than the minimum connection time Heathrow recommends), but still a VERY tight connection IMO.  So we decided to check our carry-on bags and only bring our personal items with the necessities.  And NO LIQUIDS so we wouldn't have to worry about that when going through their strict security.

After checking our bags, we headed to the lounge.  It was a decent lounge, but sounded like it is normally for Etihad?  Not sure if the woman at the front desk had incorrect info.  They had a nice breakfast with some super fresh and delicious bagels and also bottled water (something a lot of lounges lack).

IMG_1305.thumb.jpg.994af3e593afe0737caaf2cc11aa8b2e.jpg

Then we headed to our gate for our 4 hour flight to LHR.  I know I haven't been posting flight info, but I will say this because I think it is important for those with mobility issues.  We flew business both ways.  Our shorter flight from LHR to ATH prior to the cruise did not have "permanent" trays covering the middle seat.  Our flight on the way back from ATH to LHR DID.  Personally, I have not seen this style where the middle seat has a permanent tray covering it.  Normally the middle seat is just empty.  The permanent tray was definitely a nuisance for whoever had the window seat when getting in/out.  Every single person I saw struggled.  My sister and I are quite young (much younger than I'm sure this blog makes us sound-we may or may not be considered Gen Z, LOL).  We are not overweight, but we are not fit.  We managed to climb over the middle table, but with difficulty.  Please keep this in mind if you struggle with airline seating and/or getting up and down.

• Thanks 1

August 25, 2024: Travel Day (Part 2)

Our first flight went very smoothly and we landed in LHR as scheduled.  I had arranged for a meet and assist greeter to take us from one flight to the other.  I figured this would be peace of mind with our short connection time.

We booked with TravelServe.  The Heathrow website has a list of companies that offer the service and TravelServe was one of them.  I was sent the greeter's name and contact info the day before the service.

He was waiting for us as we exited the plane and swiftly took us through Fast Track (included with our airline tickets, not the meet and assist service) and through security.  All was well with security and this time they did NOT make us take out our iPad or battery packs- nor did they test our liquids (since we checked them all!).

However, there was a hold up when waiting for our bags to come through the scanner.  We could see the bags had made it through with no issue, but since the "flagged" line of bags was too backed up, our luggage could not move on the conveyor belt.  We probably waited a good 20 mins for our baggage to come through.

We had a bit of extra time before our flight which was totally unexpected, so we stopped by the lounge to use the restroom and grab a quick snack.  The lounge restrooms at LHR for BA were NOT good.  Smelled like Port A Potties and there was a huge line.  We had the same experience when connecting in LHR prior to the cruise.  And these were different BA lounges, so it was not a one off.

Our greeter walked us to our gate and made sure our boarding passes were successfully scanned.  Now here is where it gets interesting-we encountered the shuttle bus to the plane and the steep staircase leading toward the plane, just as we had connecting through Heathrow last time. 

There was a woman in a wheelchair sat right next to us (in the little waiting area where they keep you while waiting to board the shuttle).  She was asked if she could walk up stairs and she looked horrified.  There were many other passengers who were not in wheelchairs, but who were clearly struggling with their baggage, let alone taking their baggage up a steep flight of stairs.  This is very very upsetting to me.  BA does not mention anything about this and I know many other people on our flight expressed similar sentiments.  I know this because we were all herded like cattle into the shuttle buses and packed shoulder to shoulder like sardines.  Trust me when I say we were all talking in such close quarters during the 10 min shuttle ride to the plane.  

Fortunately, we had some nice people on our flight who helped those who needed a little assistance.  They brought up the bags so the people could concentrate on making it up the stairs safely.  Let me be clear, there was zero assistance from BA.

Let me tell you, I was SHOCKED when I looked out my window to see an odd forklift/crane/mechanical device that brought the woman in the wheelchair up to the plane's level (no stairs for her-YAY!).  I was so relieved. 🙂 

IMG_1306.thumb.jpg.b8fd3abf7e828fc8a473b21c427aa1fa.jpg

The moral of this long complaint/story is that if BA makes you think you have to take the stairs up to the plane and leads you to believe this is the only way on the plane, ASK FOR THE LIFT!!!  The last thing any of us want is to start (or end) a trip with an injury.  No fun for anyone involved.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

August 25, 2024: Travel Day (Part 3)

We had a great flight and arrived to our home airport on time.  We have Global Entry so we were through in a matter of seconds (literally), but all the other lines were extremely long.  However, it was a Sunday afternoon, so that is understandable.

Our baggage took quite some time to reach the carousel.  We probably waited a good 45 minutes.  But if we were going to have a delay with the airline, I'll take the delayed baggage over a delayed flight (and missed connection!). 🙂 

We headed straight home and reunited with our pups, started unpacking, and then began the loads of laundry.  Back to reality!  LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bluwes said:

Just caught up with your live review. It was nice to see your photos of  the sunshine and the high temperatures. We disembarked the Apex last Friday having completed a Norwegian Fjords itinerary where we had a couple of pleasant days but the majority of days were rainy and miserable topped by the return sea day back to Southampton through what were  rough seas and  Force 9 gale.

Obviously we didn't go for the weather but the wonderful views. :)) 

Those are some rough seas!  But WOW, Norway sounds amazing.  That is someplace we haven't been to.  So glad you had a wonderful sailing on the beautiful Apex!! 🙂

13 hours ago, Darspurs said:

Thanks for your review. We were on the cruise and it was a great extra break. Very relaxing as we had been to the first 3 stops several times before. It was our 3rd Celebrity cruise this year having been on the Ascent for a week in January and a 13 nighter on the Millenium in May all the way around Japan.

As for Heathrow as we virtually always travel from there on BA our gate number is on our boarding pass when we check in our luggage. In the Tuscan Grill I had the Filet Mignon and it was an absolutely beautiful steak cooked to perfection.

Shame you didn't post a photo of the three of you as I don't know if we saw you around the ship.

Thanks for following along!  Happy you enjoyed your cruise as well!

The Ascent looks amazing!  And Japan in May sounds even better!  We were there over the holidays, but a MUCH different vibe than spring.

I think that was the issue-we did not check baggage on the way to Athens, so we did not get printed boarding passes from the gate agent.  On the way home, we did have the gate info on our boarding passes since we checked our bags. 🙂 

And that makes me so happy you had a good experience at Tuscan.  We were really looking forward to our meal there.

As far as seeing us around the ship, very unlikely-but not impossible.  Surely you know we are up early, to bed late, and always trying to avoid people!  LOL 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Traveling Fools said:

Thank you for your review!  It has been very helpful to me as we are taking almost the same itinerary leaving Athens on the Sept 19th.  However, we are arriving at ATH on the afternoon of the 9th and then taking a DIY land tour, returning to Athens on the 13th.  My review will include comments on the places we visited and stayed overnight.

If the LIVE was up, I'd already be following along!  Looking forward to it!  And I'm sure you are, too! 🙂 

Last Thoughts

As you have likely figured out, we really struggled with the overall food quality on the ship.  So much so that we will be sailing a different line for our next cruise.  What is our next cruise?  Your guess is as good as mine! 🙃

I'm always wanting to go EVERYWHERE.  Lucky for me, my mom and sister could care less where we go.  I just tell them what to pack and they show up.  The planning, researching, organizing-that's half the fun!  I'm sure many of you would agree. 🙂

However, what our cruise lacked in food, it made up for in service!!

Service was 100/10.  Celebrity does an OUTSTANDING job with crew, service, attention to detail-all of it!!!  I'm sure many of you would agree with this as well.

Sooo-that's the end of this LIVE.  I do have all the daily papers, spa papers, tender papers-things of that sort.  So if there is something specific you would like, let me know and I will post here.

Thanks again for following along and I hope you enjoyed cruising the Med with us!! 🤩

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for your wonderful review!

So sorry you found the food lacking. It is such a pity the M class ships got rid of the Murano ‘Ocean Liners’ equivalent. 

Much as BA flights often look to be the ‘best option’ for us when travelling worldwide we rarely use them now. We have had issues with them changing our first flight to LHR with a comfortable 3 hour cushion to a 1hr 10mins dash, been in a business lounge that was overcrowded and had plates and glasses uncleared, long waits at security…In addition they have ‘lost’ our baggage twice, once going out and once on return. Quite simply I would rather fly another airline and travel via Amsterdam or Paris. Your tales of being bused is quite simply unacceptable in this day and age. Whilst LHR is an old airport the BA terminal is not and yet it is obvious struggling…In addition communication with BA is almost impossible, even when flying business. Long waits for them to answer the phone then the invariable answer that they ‘can do nothing’ about changes they have made…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, love2crews. said:

August 25, 2024: Travel Day (Part 2)

Our first flight went very smoothly and we landed in LHR as scheduled.  I had arranged for a meet and assist greeter to take us from one flight to the other.  I figured this would be peace of mind with our short connection time.

We booked with TravelServe.  The Heathrow website has a list of companies that offer the service and TravelServe was one of them.  I was sent the greeter's name and contact info the day before the service.

He was waiting for us as we exited the plane and swiftly took us through Fast Track (included with our airline tickets, not the meet and assist service) and through security.  All was well with security and this time they did NOT make us take out our iPad or battery packs- nor did they test our liquids (since we checked them all!).

However, there was a hold up when waiting for our bags to come through the scanner.  We could see the bags had made it through with no issue, but since the "flagged" line of bags was too backed up, our luggage could not move on the conveyor belt.  We probably waited a good 20 mins for our baggage to come through.

We had a bit of extra time before our flight which was totally unexpected, so we stopped by the lounge to use the restroom and grab a quick snack.  The lounge restrooms at LHR for BA were NOT good.  Smelled like Port A Potties and there was a huge line.  We had the same experience when connecting in LHR prior to the cruise.  And these were different BA lounges, so it was not a one off.

Our greeter walked us to our gate and made sure our boarding passes were successfully scanned.  Now here is where it gets interesting-we encountered the shuttle bus to the plane and the steep staircase leading toward the plane, just as we had connecting through Heathrow last time. 

There was a woman in a wheelchair sat right next to us (in the little waiting area where they keep you while waiting to board the shuttle).  She was asked if she could walk up stairs and she looked horrified.  There were many other passengers who were not in wheelchairs, but who were clearly struggling with their baggage, let alone taking their baggage up a steep flight of stairs.  This is very very upsetting to me.  BA does not mention anything about this and I know many other people on our flight expressed similar sentiments.  I know this because we were all herded like cattle into the shuttle buses and packed shoulder to shoulder like sardines.  Trust me when I say we were all talking in such close quarters during the 10 min shuttle ride to the plane.  

Fortunately, we had some nice people on our flight who helped those who needed a little assistance.  They brought up the bags so the people could concentrate on making it up the stairs safely.  Let me be clear, there was zero assistance from BA.

Let me tell you, I was SHOCKED when I looked out my window to see an odd forklift/crane/mechanical device that brought the woman in the wheelchair up to the plane's level (no stairs for her-YAY!).  I was so relieved. 🙂 

IMG_1306.thumb.jpg.b8fd3abf7e828fc8a473b21c427aa1fa.jpg

The moral of this long complaint/story is that if BA makes you think you have to take the stairs up to the plane and leads you to believe this is the only way on the plane, ASK FOR THE LIFT!!!  The last thing any of us want is to start (or end) a trip with an injury.  No fun for anyone involved.

I agree with your assessment of BA lounges.  The last time I was there they did not look good at all and the food was mediocre, however the drinks were fine.

The stairs thing on many European flights is very upsetting, we had that issue going to Sicily on Ryan Air three months ago.  Yet not one man stopped to help my friend (we are not spring chickens) with her carry on, we had to tough it out and I was exhausted and my arms were sore.

They are not mobility friendly.

• Like 1