How much layover time needed in Iceland from Rome?

dickinson

7 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Is one hour enough?

Is it "enough" for what?

If the question is whether it's enough to satisfy the airline's official Minimum Connection Time so that you will be allowed to buy a through ticket, then that can depend on (a) which airline is selling the arriving flight; (b) which airline is operating the arriving flight; (c) where that flight is coming from; (d) which airline is selling the departing flight; (e) which airline is operating the departing flight; and (f) where that flight is going to. But a good rule of thumb is that if you can buy it today, it's legal today.

On the assumption that you may be looking at an Icelandair-Icelandair connection, then I think the currently filed MCTs say yes: a quick look suggests the MCT is 0:35.

If the question is whether it's enough to guarantee that you won't misconnect, then the answer is no. But is that your question?

Posted (edited)

More detail on airline would mare responses better.

If both legs are one the same tricket one hour is more than enough. You have to pass immigration in KEF but luggage will be transferred to the next plane. 
KEF is a very small airport. All flights are arriving from US within a very short time frame and the same planes are used for the onward journey to European destinations during the morning. 

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

It is Icelandair on both planes.  I was checking EZAir for airfares for my June cruise.  I picked an outbound flight but return offered me one flight for $0 extra dollars.  It was this one.  When I picked it I got a pop up that said it was recommended to have 1 hour 30 minutes.  Oy.  If that is the case, then why was it offered?  Why were there no other flights offered other than paying an extra $571/person!  It was easiest to choose it, ask questions later, and cancel if necessary.

9 minutes ago, dickinson said:

It is Icelandair on both planes

If Icelandair for both legs, time is not an issue - as said all flights from US will arrive early in the morning into KEF and the same planes will continue from KEF to various destinations in Europe - very efficient.

If any problems Icelandair will take care / just not srrive the same day as you cruise. 
I have been flying Icelandair several time with short stop over in KEF. 

17 minutes ago, dickinson said:

It is Icelandair on both planes.  I was checking EZAir for airfares for my June cruise.  I picked an outbound flight but return offered me one flight for $0 extra dollars.  It was this one.  When I picked it I got a pop up that said it was recommended to have 1 hour 30 minutes.  Oy.  If that is the case, then why was it offered? 

As to why it is offered - it was a low cost option for people who buy solely on price.

20 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Why were there no other flights offered other than paying an extra $571/person! 

Why?  Because it is the only one that is covered by the EZ contracts at that price point.  Did you expect that all flight options would be the same price? 

Posted (edited)

Check and compare  price on Icelandair web. 
 Icelandair is a reputable airline with OK service. As said - I have been flying Iceland many time from Europe to US. 

Edited by hallasm

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

I picked an outbound flight but return offered me one flight for $0 extra dollars.  It was this one.  When I picked it I got a pop up that said it was recommended to have 1 hour 30 minutes.  Oy.  If that is the case, then why was it offered?

Maybe because (or because of some combination) of the following possibilites:

1. 1. Some passengers want to book to get to their destination as quickly as possible. If the published MCT is 0:35, then on a 0:35 connection most passengers will make it most of the time. If you have more connecting time than that, your chances are better.
  3. 2. The pop-up is a dumb and uncalibrated EZAir warning that takes no account of the information published by airlines, and does not differentiate between easy and difficult connections, or between easy and difficult connecting airports, or between shorter or longer published MCTs, or between the outbound journey and the inbound journey.
  5. 3. EZAir is preying on the inexperience and the risk-averse and insecure nature of many cruise passengers, who will see that pop-up and choose to pay the higher price for the longer connection rather than risk a misconnect.

There may be more possibilities in addition to these.

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

Why were there no other flights offered other than paying an extra $571/person!

Maybe there are only two flights a day from Rome to Reykjavik? Or maybe there are only two flights a day from Reykjavik to wherever your final destination is? If you're going to choose a slightly outré routing via a small and isolated city, you're not going to have much choice.

What is your final destination?  Chances are there's only one flight per day if it's in the US and perhaps not even everyday.  I'd certainly look at what the options might be if you missed the connection.  

I fly PRG/KEF/RDU and return regularly.  My connect time is 40 minutes and never had a problem.  Iceland wants these connections to0 US to work.  I have seen them hold a flight.

4 hours ago, Host Mike said:

I fly PRG/KEF/RDU and return regularly.  My connect time is 40 minutes and never had a problem.  Iceland wants these connections to0 US to work.  I have seen them hold a flight.

That is what I would have expected.  Icelandair, as a hub and spoke airline, organizes their flights into eastbound and westbound "waves."  From what I see looking on the web, it seems (I am guessing) Icelandair runs about 2 waves per day between North America and Europe.  Unless a flight is substantially delayed - e.g., mechanical issue at departing airport, I would expect they hold flights to allow for connecting passengers to get onboard.  

For those that want to know more about the connecting process at KEF between North America and Europe look at the following link.  The transit paths are clearly outlined.  The only "X Factor" would be the time at immigration entering and leaving the Schengen area.   

https://www.icelandair.com/support/pre-flight/connecting-at-keflavik/