Norse Atlantic to Europe

screwsmcernst

we are taking a river cruise in 2025.  We are trying to decide whether to fly into Amsterdam, or into Paris and then take the Euro-star train to Amsterdam.  Has any one flown Norse Atlantic recently, and would you recommend it?  We can get from JFK to CDG (Paris) at a much less expensive cost of the ticket.  I am aware that it is considered a "Budget Airline".  Any advice/experiences would be appreciated.  

Norse Atlantic is a relatively new airline. It is the same company that previously operated Norwegian Airshuttle. It is a low-cost carrier, but with a fine service. You should fly to Europe more than the day before your cruise. If there are technical problems, delays of a few days can easily occur.

Posted (edited)

I have no direct knowledge of Norse Atlantic.  Looking from the outside, please realize that Norse Atlantic has not and is unlikely to make any money in the near term. Their stock price has done nothing but drop from their IPO.  With this in mind, I would be careful in terms to buying my ticket too soon to avoid any bankruptcy issues. 

From an operational perspective, the Norse Atlantic fleet size is really small.  In many markets they don't operate daily flights.  Give yourself plenty of time to absorb any operational difficulties as any real issue (e.g., maintenance) could result in a significant delay.

One last thing.  Norse is an low cost carrier and charges extra for everything.  Please look at the all in cost of the ticket you want to buy - especially for their base economy ticket.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just make sure you leave at least a day or two before your trip.  I just returned from Paris for the Olympics and we had train issues on 2 separate days.  One was related to sabotage and the other was because a tree was down on one of the TGV lines.  Trains are susceptible to the same sort of delays as planes.

On 8/13/2024 at 12:39 PM, hallasm said:

Norse Atlantic is a relatively new airline. It is the same company that previously operated Norwegian Airshuttle. It is a low-cost carrier, but with a fine service. You should fly to Europe more than the day before your cruise. If there are technical problems, delays of a few days can easily occur.

We will definitely be flying in at least 2 - 3 days prior to our cruise.  

On 8/13/2024 at 1:50 PM, SelectSys said:

I have no direct knowledge of Norse Atlantic.  Looking from the outside, please realize that Norse Atlantic has not and is unlikely to make any money in the near term. Their stock price has done nothing but drop from their IPO.  With this in mind, I would be careful in terms to buying my ticket too soon to avoid any bankruptcy issues. 

From an operational perspective, the Norse Atlantic fleet size is really small.  In many markets they don't operate daily flights.  Give yourself plenty of time to absorb any operational difficulties as any real issue (e.g., maintenance) could result in a significant delay.

One last thing.  Norse is an low cost carrier and charges extra for everything.  Please look at the all in cost of the ticket you want to buy - especially for their base economy ticket.

We are taking all of those possibilities into account.  We won't be purchasing tickets until next year.  Bankruptcy is a very real concern, and if we fly with Norse, We will pay for the Premium Economy ticket.   

On 8/13/2024 at 6:39 PM, ilovesalchows said:

Just make sure you leave at least a day or two before your trip.  I just returned from Paris for the Olympics and we had train issues on 2 separate days.  One was related to sabotage and the other was because a tree was down on one of the TGV lines.  Trains are susceptible to the same sort of delays as planes.

We are also concerned about the trains.  Between Strikes for various reasons and other delays, These are all the questions that we are trying to weigh when planning our trip.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

if we fly with Norse, We will pay for the Premium Economy ticket. 

I think that can be a pretty good option if the timing works out for you.

Posted (edited)

Is this for a cruise in November 2025?  I wouldn't even be thinking about this now; no one has their schedules out.  I would toss out there that Norse has a very limited schedule and doesn't fly this route every day; this year they fly JFK-CDG on Fri, Sun, and Wed only.  Miss that flight or have a problem, you're going to be stuck.  Also, make sure you add up all their additional fees.  I wouldn't consider them for time-sensitive travel.

Edited by 6rugrats

6 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

Is this for a cruise in November 2025?  I wouldn't even be thinking about this now; no one has their schedules out.  I would toss out there that Norse has a very limited schedule and doesn't fly this route every day; this year they fly JFK-CDG on Fri, Sun, and Wed only.  Miss that flight or have a problem, you're going to be stuck.  Also, make sure you add up all their additional fees.  I wouldn't consider them for time-sensitive travel.

We are just starting our investigation into flights to Europe.  We know Flights aren't available for our needs right now.  Our schedules are fairly flexible, so we can accommodate a varied flight schedule.if needed.  Right now, we are just trying to figure out what is the best price for flights with the best seating for the long haul.  

38 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

we are just trying to figure out what is the best price for flights with the best seating for the long haul.  

Save your efforts.  There is no way to know what prices, equipment, and routings will be for flights in November of NEXT YEAR.  Who even knows if Norse will be in business then.

You might want to be doing low-level basic research, but trying to get into deep specifics is wasting your time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Save your efforts.  There is no way to know what prices, equipment, and routings will be for flights in November of NEXT YEAR.  Who even knows if Norse will be in business then.

This. You can't determine the "best" price when there are no real prices to compare.  Wait until flights open.  And, agree with Norse perhaps not being in business by Nov 2025.

On 8/15/2024 at 10:22 PM, FlyerTalker said:

You might want to be doing low-level basic research, but trying to get into deep specifics is wasting your time.

I am doing low-level research.  I was just wondering if anyone has had first-hand experience on the airline that they would be willing to share.  Yes, I have also looked at the you tube reviews.  I was just wondering.  Thanks.

I flew Norse May 2023 same route you are looking at.  Honestly I had a great experience.  Keep in mind luggage.  They weighed and size checked my carry on. I did carry on and personal item only.  They checked every passenger before me.  Alot of people were being charged for over weight /sized luggage. Planes were clean and comfortable.  The flight attendance were friendly. Flights were on time. If they stay in operation,  I wouldn't hesitate to book them again. We did have a gate change at JFK that was unannounced.  We felt it should be time for boarding so we checked at the gate we were at with an agent. She directed us to the appropriate gate. We got there they were lining up to board. 

• Like 1

We flew Norse JFK to Rome last October without a bit of trouble. We upgraded to the front cabin, had plenty of leg room and recline, and decent food as far as airplane food goes. We planned a few days in Rome ahead of our cruise but had no issues with delays. Wouldn't hesitate to fly them again. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2024 at 8:36 AM, Ahays00 said:

I flew Norse May 2023 same route you are looking at.  Honestly I had a great experience.  Keep in mind luggage.  They weighed and size checked my carry on. I did carry on and personal item only.  They checked every passenger before me.  Alot of people were being charged for over weight /sized luggage. Planes were clean and comfortable.  The flight attendance were friendly. Flights were on time. If they stay in operation,  I wouldn't hesitate to book them again. We did have a gate change at JFK that was unannounced.  We felt it should be time for boarding so we checked at the gate we were at with an agent. She directed us to the appropriate gate. We got there they were lining up to board. 

On 8/25/2024 at 5:28 PM, LThom said:

We flew Norse JFK to Rome last October without a bit of trouble. We upgraded to the front cabin, had plenty of leg room and recline, and decent food as far as airplane food goes. We planned a few days in Rome ahead of our cruise but had no issues with delays. Wouldn't hesitate to fly them again. Hope this helps!

Thank you for the firsthand information.  😃

i have flown norse atlantic from london gatwick once, and i am going to do it again in january.
one way transatlantic flights can oftentimes be more expensive than round trip flights on the same airline.

one way from london to new york on my return flight day:
delta: $1599 for coach
norse atlantic $604 in premium.

premium was very comfortable for the price point and unfortunately very empty. 
long haul ULCCs just can't seem to make purchase. i would like them to make it.

train.JPG

• Like 2

On 8/29/2024 at 11:31 PM, SelectSys said:

Most likely.  A long winter is just around the corner...

please be operational in january.

i was booked on an alitalia flight from Athens to Amsterdam and the went out of business a couple of days before my flight. 
i had to show up at the airport hopping to get lucky buying three tickets at a counter.

23 hours ago, MSUjohn said:

please be operational in january

You have a shot with the Christmas holidays and New Year possibly helping revenues.

had to show up at the airport hopping to get lucky

I only had this experience once with a very, very short-lived airline called, Pride Air.  I only bought the ticket because a friend of mine at the time was an ex-Continental pilot who was involved in the startup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_Air

Long-Haul Low-Cost Airlines

It seems the North Atlantic is a "graveyard" for these types of carriers.  I am not sure of the business results, but JAL's Zipair seems to be surviving and has now been flying for at least a few years as a low cost long haul carrier in the Pacific region.