Flying Internationally for Dummies

Swells1

I feel very silly asking this, so please be patient with me.   

I am taking my first European cruise next year, so this will be my first international flight. I know that the rule is to allow an additional hour when flying internationally for security. Can someone explain to me how this works with a domestic layover? Should I still arrive at my home airport extra early, or should I make sure to have an especially long layover? (Flying from US to London if it matters.)

14 minutes ago, Swells1 said:

Can someone explain to me how this works with a domestic layover? Should I still arrive at my home airport extra early, or should I make sure to have an especially long layover? (Flying from US to London if it matters.)

I always early for the airport just about always and especially if it is an important flight where no easy alternative exists.  This is just my style as I don't want some as silly as a bad freeway accident causing me to miss my flight.  I also don't want any trouble with checking bags and passing security.  Again, depending on your originating airport this can take more time than you think.  I would much rather be sitting in the airport looking at "Cruise Critic" waiting for my flight than wondering if I am going to make it.  Who wants stress on vacation?

In terms of connecting to an international flight in the US, I also want more time than the legally required connection time.  Why?  Again this is all about managing issues if something goes wrong with my originating flight in terms of delay.  The impact may result in missing my flight and the delay of possibly a day or more.  I personally like to have at least 3 hours for a domestic US flight connecting to an international flight. 

Here is a current example of my flight planning.  I have a trip scheduled to Tokyo for the fall.  I found a really good deal on a flight from San Diego but the deal had a connection time that was around 50 minutes in Dallas.  I passed on the flight as the connection time was just too short for my personal comfort.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Swells1 said:

I know that the rule is to allow an additional hour when flying internationally for security. Can someone explain to me how this works with a domestic layover?

Trying to be gentle.

Just what "rule" is this?  What "additional hour" are we talking about?  Airlines ask passengers to check in for international itineraries earlier than for domestic.  Reason is because international travel documents need to be checked and confirmed.  Also, you want to check in with plenty of time for your luggage to be screened and put on your flight.

1 hour ago, Swells1 said:

Should I still arrive at my home airport extra early, or should I make sure to have an especially long layover?

As mentioned above, short connections have the risk of not having alternative flights in case operational delays cause you to miss your onward flight.  But there is no "rule" requiring that.

Just where are you finding these "rules"?

There are no rules. 

Flying from the US the process for international flights is basically identical to domestic. International and domestic flights aren't segregated for departure. The only real difference is for longhaul flights you're typically on larger aircraft and boarding for those flights may begin 10-15mins earlier than for a typical shorthaul flight operated by smaller aircraft. You will also typically show your boarding pass at the gate along with your boarding pass but the "rule" you mention doesn't exist...

Are you already ticketed?   Where are you starting from?  Where are you connecting?   Same airline for both flights?  

All this info helps provide you with better advice.

• Like 1

Oh, one more thing.   Where is your cruise departing from?  Southampton or elsewhere?  And I do hope you are planning to arrive a day prior to embarkation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Trying to be gentle.

Just what "rule" is this?  What "additional hour" are we talking about?  Airlines ask passengers to check in for international itineraries earlier than for domestic.  Reason is because international travel documents need to be checked and confirmed.  Also, you want to check in with plenty of time for your luggage to be screened and put on your flight.

As mentioned above, short connections have the risk of not having alternative flights in case operational delays cause you to miss your onward flight.  But there is no "rule" requiring that.

Just where are you finding these "rules"?

Perhaps “rule” was a strong word. Suggestions? Rule of thumb? I’ve always heard you should give yourself 2 hours for domestic and 3 hours for international flights. I just didn’t know if that includes international flights with a domestic layover. 

2 hours ago, fbgd said:

There are no rules. 

Flying from the US the process for international flights is basically identical to domestic. International and domestic flights aren't segregated for departure. The only real difference is for longhaul flights you're typically on larger aircraft and boarding for those flights may begin 10-15mins earlier than for a typical shorthaul flight operated by smaller aircraft. You will also typically show your boarding pass at the gate along with your boarding pass but the "rule" you mention doesn't exist...

Thank you. This was exactly what I wanted to see. 

1 hour ago, the mice said:

Are you already ticketed?   Where are you starting from?  Where are you connecting?   Same airline for both flights?  

All this info helps provide you with better advice.

We haven’t bought tickets yet. It’s still a little early. I’m doing preliminary planning to get a budget prepared. 

1 hour ago, the mice said:

Oh, one more thing.   Where is your cruise departing from?  Southampton or elsewhere?  And I do hope you are planning to arrive a day prior to embarkation.

We’re sailing from Portsmouth. It’s looking like we’re going to have to fly overnight, so my plan is to leave Wednesday night, arrive Thursday afternoon, and sail Friday. We won’t have much time for sightseeing, but were limited on PTO. 

44 minutes ago, Swells1 said:

my plan is to leave Wednesday night, arrive Thursday afternoon, and sail Friday. We won’t have much time for sightseeing, but were limited on PTO. 

I am curious how far you live from Atlanta or Charlotte or Nashville?  All of those cities have nonstop flights to London and flying from one of these cities would eliminate making a connection in the US.  I live in San Diego and frequently drive to LA to get nonstop long haul flights.  

14 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I am curious how far you live from Atlanta or Charlotte or Nashville?  All of those cities have nonstop flights to London and flying from one of these cities would eliminate making a connection in the US.  I live in San Diego and frequently drive to LA to get nonstop long haul flights.  

Definitely recommend going nonstop if you can at all swing it. Especially with only a short time in between arrival and embarkation, a connection increases the likelihood of issues, both in terms of potentially lost luggage (if you're checking anything) and missed flights. 

But if you must do the connection, since the first flight is domestic, you shouldn't need to arrive more than 2 hours in advance, but I'd want to make sure that you've got a long connection time in between, since you may need to switch terminals, and your luggage (if any is checked) needs to get transferred (which, depending on the airport in question, you may need to collect and re-check). 

I'm a big fan of overnight flights to the UK (I'm also on the east coast), arriving relatively early in the morning, which gives me a full day in London before heading to the port for embarkation. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Swells1 said:

I’ve always heard you should give yourself 2 hours for domestic and 3 hours for international flights.

Whilst that may apply for some routes (where you have to clear exit immigration for example) that doesn't apply either.

I've arrived for some intl flights 50mins before departure (with a checked bag) though personally I prefer to give myself plenty of time...due to FF status/premium cabin travel I will generally have access to a lounge and I'd much rather kickback with a drink than be a in a rush with little contingency for traffic, ticketing issues, unexpected security back-ups etc.

18 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I'm in Knoxville. So, three-ish hours from Nashville and Atlanta. Five-ish from Charlotte. I'll start pricing non-stop flights.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Swells1 said:

I'm in Knoxville. So, three-ish hours from Nashville and Atlanta. Five-ish from Charlotte. I'll start pricing non-stop flights.

Just fly out of TYS. Don’t fool with the drive. Leave your car at home because of the parking construction and take an Uber. BTW at TYS 90 minutes for any kind of flight is more than enough. The times you hear about are for big airports not one with 12 gates total. 

BTW ATL is further than that because it is on the south side of town. BNA might be a little shorter because it is on the east side of town. Still neither is worth the drive and parking costs. 

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, zqvol said:

Just fly out of TYS. Don’t fool with the drive. Leave your car at home because of the parking construction and take an Uber. BTW at TYS 90 minutes for any kind of flight is more than enough. The times you hear about are for big airports not one with 12 gates total. 

In all honesty, this is my preference. A $20 Uber is so much easier than parking fees for upwards of ten days. I'd be fine with arriving at the airport 60-90 minutes out, but my travel companions would arrive the night before if I'd let them. So, we compromise with 2 hours. Chilling at the airport scrolling through Twitter outrage is more pleasant than listening to people sigh and complain...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Swells1 said:

In all honesty, this is my preference. A $20 Uber is so much easier than parking fees for upwards of ten days. I'd be fine with arriving at the airport 60-90 minutes out, but my travel companions would arrive the night before if I'd let them. So, we compromise with 2 hours. Chilling at the airport scrolling through Twitter outrage is more pleasant than listening to people sigh and complain...

Just know that at TYS giving yourselves 2 hours is plenty of time. It’s such an easy airport to fly from. Not like the big ones so many talk about.  

Just now, zqvol said:

Just know that at TYS giving yourselves 2 hours is plenty of time. It’s such an easy airport to fly from. Not like the big ones so many talk about.  

Definitely. I've flown from TYS dozens of times. My next flight is out of BNA, and I'm not looking forward to it, TBH.

4 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I'm a big fan of overnight flights to the UK (I'm also on the east coast), arriving relatively early in the morning, which gives me a full day in London before heading to the port for embarkation. 

I'm not sure Toronto currently has one, but New York/Boston/Chicago (and maybe others?) have daytime flights to London where you leave in the morning and arrive in the evening on the same day? Even if it requires a connection, it's worth checking out because you basically arrive in London, head to bed at a decent hour, get a good nights sleep, and wake up a brand new, well rested person ready to enjoy your trip. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

I'm not sure Toronto currently has one, but New York/Boston/Chicago (and maybe others?) have daytime flights to London where you leave in the morning and arrive in the evening on the same day? Even if it requires a connection, it's worth checking out because you basically arrive in London, head to bed at a decent hour, get a good nights sleep, and wake up a brand new, well rested person ready to enjoy your trip. 

If this works for you, fantastic! I prefer the overnight flights, because I can doze, if not fully sleep, on the flight, and generally arrive with enough energy to make it through the day, go to bed slightly early (9PM or so), and then be on UK time when I wake up the next morning. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2024 at 10:36 AM, Swells1 said:

I would agree with that.  The airport your departing from is not particularly busy.  

Traditionally, the check in agent has had to scan your passport and enter some extra information at check in.  Today a lot of that is captured at online check-in for most people.  Depends on the airline if they do the passport check in at your first flight or when connecting internationally.  This is a 5 minute activity.   

The international flight is usually on a much larger aircraft so they may start boarding a bit earlier.  That said, if you board towards the end of the process that is not a big deal either.

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 1:48 PM, Zach1213 said:

I agree.  The flight from New York to London is too short to get any quality sleep.  And if you fly business class, which is the only way I can get DH on an overnight flight, the meal service just keeps you awake for a good part of it.  

9 hours ago, the mice said:

I agree.  The flight from New York to London is too short to get any quality sleep.  And if you fly business class, which is the only way I can get DH on an overnight flight, the meal service just keeps you awake for a good part of it.  

Which is why I often suggest that folks west of the Appalachians should look at using DFW or IAH as gateways.  And for folks in the west to "backtrack" to LAX or SFO for their international business class flights.  Sure it's a longer flight than going east to JFK or PHL.  But with 11 hours or so from LAX, there's plenty of time for both meals AND some solid sleep.  Even in PE, you can stretch and sleep.

Coach might be a different story.

Posted (edited)

YYZ used to have daytime flights to LHR/LGW, first Wardair, then Air Canada (maybe Canadian). But a niche market, you couldn't make connections, and I don't think cargo worked either.

But there are flights (not always daily year-round) departing midnite-ish, arriving noon-ish, with a little planning you can make it work.

Edited by Dancer Bob