Oasis of the Seas Chef's Table 15th Wedding Anniversary reservation refused

We originally booked a Chef's Table reservation for 4 people for our 15th wedding anniversary. After the initial booking we added a 5th person to our suite, so I called to get them added to our Chef's Table reservation as well, which was reflected in the app before and after boarding. When we arrived at Chef's Table with 5 people, we were led to a large table with only 4 seats left. When I asked about the missing seat the staff loudly stated the reservation was for 4 people and we must have made a mistake. When I showed them the app reflected 5 people, they loudly blamed us for "booking using the app", and said it was our fault for not calling. When I informed them we had called ahead of the cruise to confirm for 5 people, the staff realizing this mistake was completely their fault, doubled down and blamed it on us again without any explanation what we had done wrong. The entire situation was quite humiliating with the staff repeatedly blaming us in front of all the other guests and refusing to help us find somewhere else we could eat dinner.

We brought this incident to the attention of Francis, in the concierge lounge, who also refused to help us in finding somewhere else to eat. Despite multiple complaints, we never received an apology or explanation for the incident during the cruise or after. 

Curious situation. Did you speak with the Hotel Director?  Everyone with the restaurant operations as well as Francis reports to them, and they would not want to have to explain actions such as you describe to the HD.  The HD would also be the person who would correct the issue. It is not likely your concerns would have fallen on deaf ears with them.

• Like 1

Francis said he would have his supervisor, the Hotel Director, contact me while onboard but I never heard from them. I e-mailed the Oasis Hotel Director when we got home, since we had other poor interactions with Francis, and they never responded. Clearly a mistake was made, but no one onboard or shoreside wanted to take accountability for it.

1 hour ago, flfamilycruiser said:

We originally booked a Chef's Table reservation for 4 people for our 15th wedding anniversary. After the initial booking we added a 5th person to our suite, so I called to get them added to our Chef's Table reservation as well, which was reflected in the app before and after boarding. When we arrived at Chef's Table with 5 people, we were led to a large table with only 4 seats left. When I asked about the missing seat the staff loudly stated the reservation was for 4 people and we must have made a mistake. When I showed them the app reflected 5 people, they loudly blamed us for "booking using the app", and said it was our fault for not calling. When I informed them we had called ahead of the cruise to confirm for 5 people, the staff realizing this mistake was completely their fault, doubled down and blamed it on us again without any explanation what we had done wrong. The entire situation was quite humiliating with the staff repeatedly blaming us in front of all the other guests and refusing to help us find somewhere else we could eat dinner.

We brought this incident to the attention of Francis, in the concierge lounge, who also refused to help us in finding somewhere else to eat. Despite multiple complaints, we never received an apology or explanation for the incident during the cruise or after. 

I've had multiple issues the last few years with dining. I think they just arent as good as before and dont care. Sorry. The caliber of the mangers onboard is less than before imo. Good help is hard to find I guess. 

Sorry your anniversary dinner was messed up, that had to have hurt. Happy belated anniversary. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, flfamilycruiser said:

Francis said he would have his supervisor, the Hotel Director, contact me while onboard but I never heard from them. I e-mailed the Oasis Hotel Director when we got home, since we had other poor interactions with Francis, and they never responded. Clearly a mistake was made, but no one onboard or shoreside wanted to take accountability for it.

Obviously too late now, but you should have just gone to Guest Services and asked to talk with the Hotel Director.  They may have had you talk with a desk manager first to understand your issue, but you would have been able to talk in person with the HD. We have done this in the past when particular situations warranted it.

And I certainly would have done this after not hearing from the HD with Francis's request.  In particular, as you indicate, since you had other issues with Francis.  Sorry, but that was an opportunity lost and IMO the most prudent way to have resolved your issue.  The email also would likely fall on deaf ears as it is after the fact with no opportunity to have addressed it in real time.

Hopefully a lesson learned.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, flfamilycruiser said:

Just to elaborate as one example I've encountered I was on a b2b and the floor manager told me he checked the following week and I was at a great table not with one single family I was intruding upon. How he cou,d have promised he looked and come up with that is questionable. I was the 11th at a 10 top with one family of 10. And he never got around to even assigning me a permanent sear. Obviously the family of 10 got the 10 seats at the ten top, so I was loose and they just were like oh we will find you another seat. 

Clearly if they cant see 11 assigned to 10 seats, your 5 reservations for 4 seats isnt a first. Too bad you werent there earlier to sit before others got there is all I can think. They cant count. And dont care.

27 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Hopefully a lesson learned.

Or I can just share my experience and take my future business to a cruise line that values honesty and accountability. I do not accept that it's my responsibility to go wait in line to talk to someone, because their subordinate wants to cover up mistakes.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, flfamilycruiser said:

Or I can just share my experience and take my future business to a cruise line that values honesty and accountability. I do not accept that it's my responsibility to go wait in line to talk to someone, because their subordinate wants to cover up mistakes.

I never suggested it was your responsibility.  I only suggested it was a direct course of action since nobody contacted you, and would have been a way to resolve it at the time and hopefully to your satisfaction.  Especially since at the time you weren't satisfied with the actions of the subordinate with whom you were dealing.

Just me, but I prefer to find an immediate resolution to an immediate issue rather than have it continue unresolved and impact my vacation and after.  JMO

And yes, your best option always is to take your money to another cruise line if the one on which you cruised disappointed you.

I hope you enjoy your future cruises.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 6

I agree with Leaveitallbehind — if it really bothered you, ie you wanted it addressed, it’s always better to do onboard, and by going over the head of the person being unresponsive.  I doubt Francis ever reached out to the HD.  It’s not something you should need to do, but sometimes it’s the best way to get it handled.  If you were charged for 5 seats, then not getting 5 seats AND being embarrassed in front of everyone else is 10000% unacceptable.  I hope you got a refund - and for your entire party if none of you ended up dining.

At a minimum, they should have moved the conversation to the side and dealt with it professionally and quietly vs in front of other passengers.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Gotta be more to this story.

Nope, just a mistake on RCCL's part that they made much worse by refusing to take accountability. I finally received a response from their executive office, after this post, but they refuse to provide a written response and will only get on an unrecorded phone call to discuss it.

4 minutes ago, clochette said:

I am curious when you booked the 5th person did you pay for the dinner then?  and did you get your money back for the 4 of you that had booked?

Yes, I was charged for the 5th person when I made the booking over the phone, and all 5 were refunded.

2 minutes ago, flfamilycruiser said:

Yes, I was charged for the 5th person when I made the booking over the phone, and all 5 were refunded.

I am really sorry that must have been so disappointing on your anniversary; the least they could have done was give you dinner at a restaurant of your choice

• Like 1

Just now, clochette said:

I am really sorry that must have been so disappointing on your anniversary; the least they could have done was give you dinner at a restaurant of your choice

This is actually what upset me the most. Our reservation was past our main dining room time, so the 5 of us are standing there, all dressed up for dinner with no where to go. I asked at least a dozen times for assistance in finding somewhere else to eat that evening and they just refused and kept saying it was my fault. I thought surely Francis will help me, but when he also refused to help, I gave up and we just ate in the lounge. I will say the host and server in the lounge were both extremely apologetic, but were not in a position to do anything to help.

• Like 1

I agree with Leaveitalbehind.  I fail to understand why this was not dealt with at Guest  Services.   Yes it can be aggravating waiting in that line.  Still,  we did Chef's Table last summer on Oasis ( which by the way was awful ) but they readily accommodated a couple  who showed up with their teenage son who clearly did not have a reservation, and  sat him at the end of the table.  

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 9:17 PM, smokeybandit said:

Gotta be more to this story.

I'm inclined to agree. While the described experience would most certainly be problematic for any of us, I can't help but wonder about the details. In my humble experience with Royal and others, they usually go out of their way to accommodate, even if the guest might have made the mistake.

I noticed that the OP is "brand new" with only 6 postings. And yet ... he/she is well-versed in Royal cruising and at a higher level. Sincere apologies if I'm reading too much into that. Still ... curious.

• Like 3

Please stop attacking the poster.  It's totally uncalled for.  There doesn't have to be "more to the story".  S/He gave plenty of information and detail. Clearly, RC dropped the ball here, in multiple ways and by multiple staff.  If you have had different experiences, good for you.  It doesn't negate what the OP has posted.

• Like 14

18 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Surely the WJ was open and had 5 available seats.

We asked to be accommodated at another “sit down” restaurant, but the staff was too busy attempting to blame their mistake on us to assist. We were extremely happy to get seated in the concierge lounge without a reservation, and the staff there was amazing, so we returned a few more times.

17 hours ago, elizabethbp said:

I agree with Leaveitalbehind.  I fail to understand why this was not dealt with at Guest  Services.   Yes it can be aggravating waiting in that line.  Still,  we did Chef's Table last summer on Oasis ( which by the way was awful ) but they readily accommodated a couple  who showed up with their teenage son who clearly did not have a reservation, and  sat him at the end of the table.  

We were told adding another seat wasn’t possible, nor did there appear to be room. Possible they’d already squeezed in some extra seats. It looked uncomfortably close as is.

19 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

I'm inclined to agree. While the described experience would most certainly be problematic for any of us, I can't help but wonder about the details. In my humble experience with Royal and others, they usually go out of their way to accommodate, even if the guest might have made the mistake.

I noticed that the OP is "brand new" with only 6 postings. And yet ... he/she is well-versed in Royal cruising and at a higher level. Sincere apologies if I'm reading too much into that. Still ... curious.

This was our 5th RCCL cruise, but first in concierge. The only benefit being in concierge was the lounge restaurant.

I’m really unsure what standing in line at customer service to complain could have gained me, except some sort of monetary credit which I could care less about. I only wanted them to take some accountability for the mistake and apologize, which could happen post cruise just as easily. We’d already missed our anniversary dinner reservation and nothing could fix that.

• Like 3

Not intentionally attacking anybody, just raising a question. Because, I've never experienced, or witnessed, or even heard about this level of ongoing poor treatment from Royal or any other Cruiseline. Of course, I've encountered the odd problem, almost always resolved to my satisfaction. Maybe I've just been lucky for the over 30 years I've cruised. Maybe it's about the manner in which some of us complain. Sure, nothing in this world is like it used to be, but if the situation played out exactly as described, then that's an unprecedented new low in customer service. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, flfamilycruiser said:

We asked to be accommodated at another “sit down” restaurant, but the staff was too busy attempting to blame their mistake on us to assist. We were extremely happy to get seated in the concierge lounge without a reservation, and the staff there was amazing, so we returned a few more times.

This was our 5th RCCL cruise, but first in concierge. The only benefit being in concierge was the lounge restaurant.

Sounds like you were accommodated in a "sit down" restaurant called Coastal Kitchen.

Btw it is not and has never been a Concierge Lounge it is a "Suite Lounge"  also fyi it is called Suite Class,  which I'm sure all the welcome papers in your cabin refered to.

On 8/14/2024 at 12:47 PM, flfamilycruiser said:

We brought this incident to the attention of Francis, in the concierge loung

I hope you did not tip this bird.  

• Like 1