Another sort of live thread - this time Apex in Scandinavia 2 cruises with a 4 day break

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from abbydancer2003! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

abbydancer2003 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Here we go again.

This time, we’re back on the Apex for two cruises that are not back to back, and just separated enough to not get the B2B discount.   We’re starting with the 7 day Norway fjords cruise, spending four days at our very first Air B&B in Lymington (town in the middle of the New Forest) and then getting back on the ship for an 11 day Scandinavia cruise.  On these cruises, all ports will be new.

The first cruise starts on Friday, and we left last night.  Our flight was at 7:45, and our driver was picking us up at 5, which is a little closer than I like but I think the way I texted made him think that I wanted 5pm.  At about 4:45 I got a text saying that the freeway was blocked, and he’d be about 30 minutes.  That’s a little close, but since we can use carpool lanes, we should have time.  I did check and the United cutoff for bags is 1 hour, and we should be fine.

We arrived at the airport around 6, for a 7:45 flight, checked the bags and headed to the Polaris lounge for about 30 minutes.  Just enough time for a snack of tomato soup and some cheese and crackers.  

At about 6:55 they announced boarding, so we headed to the gate and got onboard.  Glen did comment that we had about 30 extra minutes on the plane, and a choice of sparking wine or water didn’t really fill the time. (He’s the one who always wants to board as soon as we get the message - and since we check our bags, we didn’t need to worry about overhead space).

The flight left a few minutes early, and arrived about 30 minutes early.  It was uneventful.  I watched a movie called The Donut man, which is a documentary about Cambodian donut shops.  FYI, most independent shops in California are Cambodian owned, and the average American eats 32 per year.  Seems about right.  

Dinner for both of us was Asian BBQ short ribs.  That was OK - the short ribs were good.  After dinner I tried to sleep, so watched some movies I’ve seen before.  

We got breakfast about an hour and 20 minutes before landing.  I had blueberry, mango, and lemon French toast.  

Once off the plane we walked quite a long way to the immigration station.  I think there were escalators up and down and between them at least 10-15 moving walkways.  Probably pretty close to a mile.  If you’re a US citizen, plus some other countries, you can go through an automated gate, where you scan your passport and they scan your face.  Once we got to the front of the line, it was fast for both of us.

After collecting our bags, we had to figure out how to get to our hotel.  It’s close, but a runway prevents walking, and hotels here don’t have shuttles.  Last time we stayed here we took the hotel hoppa bus, but I don’t think that’s available.  Hotel recommends something called “We know London” but I couldn’t figure out how to get a shared shuttle.  (Kept saying it wasn’t available).  So we ended up getting an UBER.  

Once at the hotel we’d been upgraded to an executive room, on the top floor.  And that’s where I am now writing this.  In about 30 minutes, we’ll head out to a nearby restaurant for dinner, and then to Southhampton tomorrow.

In addition, the helpful front desk guy helped me book the 7 pound per person shared shuttle, and I saw what did wrong (you can only have one suitcase and one carryon each, but I added the backpacks as cabin suitcases).  So we’re set for that tomorrow.  We’ll head back to the airport and take the bus to Southhampton.

So far a problem free trip.  More later, probably once I get to Southhampton

• Like 18

Following 😊  Safe travels tomorrow!  We did the Best of Scandinavia, back in May/June of this year, on Silhouette.  Fantastic trip.  Looking forward to see what ports you'll be visiting.

~Bernadette

Hi Abby, looking forward to meeting you both on Friday. We’re now  in Southampton after a 5 hour drive from home.

You’ll  love Lymington , try and get the ferry across to Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight, that a beautiful little fishing village . You can then take a HoHo bus to explore the island. We have friends who live there and have visited them a number of times. I’m sure we’d love to retire there.

we also have friends who are on your second sailing on 27th. 

• Like 2

Greetings from the Southampton (now spelled correctly) Moxy.

Things went well this morning.  We woke up at 9, dressed, packed and went to the M Club for breakfast.  They had a nice spread, and I was able to order an omelette from the staff.  We finished breakfast right after 10, so went back to the room and hung out until about 10:45.  After making sure we hadn’t left anything in the room, we headed downstairs at about 10:45.  

About 5 minutes later I got a text that the driver was on the way.  And he arrived in a minivan.  For this ride at least, the shared ride meant us and another guy from our hotel.  We left just before 11.

On the way over, we asked him about whether terminal 2 or 3 was better for the Central Bus terminal.  He said 3.  So we went there.  As we got out, he told us to walk forward to the building ahead of us, but when we got there, it was a hotel and a staff shuttle stop, and the signs for the bus terminal led behind us.  So back we went to the lifts (elevators) down to terminal 2 and the bus terminal.  After walking underground for a while, we found the lifts back up to the bus terminal.  Our bus was at 12:10 and we arrived at about 11:30.  

I went to information to confirm where to go and when, and they suggested we go out the exit for National Express about 10 minutes early.  We did and the bus number on our ticket did not match the final destination (turns out Southampton is a major stop).  It was rather chaotic with two lines of people trying to drop their luggage, but we did get it done and by 12:05 we were on the bus.  It left about two minutes late.

What we didn’t know (not that it matters) is that the bus then makes two more airport stops - at terminal 4 and then 5.  Heathrow is one spread out airport.  It took about 40 minutes to get out of the airport.  

The bus made two stops before ours.  The first one (I think it was Richardson - something like that - about 1/3 of the bus got off.  Glen moved to the empty seats and watched to make sure that our luggage wasn’t accidentally unloaded (happened to him once).  Next stop was Southampton University.  No one wanted off, so we went on.  However we stopped a few blocks later, since the one person who wanted off didn’t answer. 

By the time we got to the Southampton coach stop, we were about 10 minutes late.  No biggie, since we have no plans.  It took about 10 minutes to get our luggage, since most people were leaving there, but we did get it.

It’s less than 1/2 mile from the station to the hotel, so we waked.  We got to the hotel a little after 3, and checked in.  It’s not great but well located.  I’d asked for a high floor, since it has two small elevators, and if there are ships in port, especially on City terminal is very close.

image.jpeg.0b16ae436da3d53f0871873f087b0f39.jpeg

You can see the top of a Norwegian ship.  The building in front,, by the way, is Carnival UK.

I’d done a chat with the hotel, and asked for a high floor.  I was happy that we’re on the top floor, which means we won’t have to wait as full elevators go by.  

We pretty much rested until dinner time.  Since we didn’t have lunch, we decided to go at around 6:40.  The mall across the way has a lot of restaurants, but I think most are fast ethnic food, so we decided to go to the put we went to in 2022.

Turns out we picked exactly the wrong time, because a large group of young women and maybe parents (we’re guessing a school thing since they all arrived at once just before us.  The bar is at the entrance and they were all there getting drinks.  We stood there, for a few minutes and then I asked about a dinner table, and they said there’d be a wait..  Since it was now very loud, we left.

Once outside,  we looked at local restaurants, and found one two blocks away called Georges.  It’s listed as Greek, but that was just a part of the menu.  It’s been around for about 65 years, and has been owned by the same family since it opened.

They weren’t busy and their friendly server seated us immediately.  We started with olives and pita bread.  When the server (she seemed to be the only one there) arrived with it, she noticed us doing the NYT games.  She said she plays them and we had a nice conversation about the American bias.  

Glen had a kabab combo dinner, and I opted for chicken breast in a stilton sauce.  The chicken was OK but the sauce was excellent.  We also got a slaw, plus there were chips (Fries in American).  She asked if I wanted ketchup, but I said malt vinegar.  That made her happy.

After dinner (no dessert, lots coming up), we walked back a different way they we got there.  Some interesting things.

The walk was along some of medievel remains of the city.  Here’s one of the historical markers.

image.jpeg.f58ef6fabb1533856bdfd082e33bee74.jpeg

We also passed a city art project to raise money for something.  This one is painted lighthouses.

image.jpeg.e44fff770c3df4613360005fc2d64c6f.jpeg

You see things like this all over the world.  Usually they're animals, though.

Next was another marker indicating that Jane Austin had been at a dance there.

image.jpeg.394d0d6299f43e37ccd5b7753f9f82d7.jpeg

Finally, we saw this fun thing

image.jpeg.46f46c707cdc14dea486411ae0d9efa2.jpeg

When we got to the front of the building, we saw it was a swim center, so presumably that’s a water slide that goes out of the building.

Once back at the hotel, I grabbed my laptop and started writing.  The problem is the room only has one chair, and Glen was in it.  So I decided to take my laptop to the lobby, get my free drink and finish for the day, which is where I am now.  After this, shower (with washcloths we brought from home - got them at Target - 5.00 for 8, so we’ll leave them here.  This hotel doesn't have them, I guess it's a European thing.); and bed.  We board tomorrow!

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Greetings from the Southampton (now spelled correctly) Moxy.

Things went well this morning.  We woke up at 9, dressed, packed and went to the M Club for breakfast.  They had a nice spread, and I was able to order an omelette from the staff.  We finished breakfast right after 10, so went back to the room and hung out until about 10:45.  After making sure we hadn’t left anything in the room, we headed downstairs at about 10:45.  

About 5 minutes later I got a text that the driver was on the way.  And he arrived in a minivan.  For this ride at least, the shared ride meant us and another guy from our hotel.  We left just before 11.

On the way over, we asked him about whether terminal 2 or 3 was better for the Central Bus terminal.  He said 3.  So we went there.  As we got out, he told us to walk forward to the building ahead of us, but when we got there, it was a hotel and a staff shuttle stop, and the signs for the bus terminal led behind us.  So back we went to the lifts (elevators) down to terminal 2 and the bus terminal.  After walking underground for a while, we found the lifts back up to the bus terminal.  Our bus was at 12:10 and we arrived at about 11:30.  

I went to information to confirm where to go and when, and they suggested we go out the exit for National Express about 10 minutes early.  We did and the bus number on our ticket did not match the final destination (turns out Southampton is a major stop).  It was rather chaotic with two lines of people trying to drop their luggage, but we did get it done and by 12:05 we were on the bus.  It left about two minutes late.

What we didn’t know (not that it matters) is that the bus then makes two more airport stops - at terminal 4 and then 5.  Heathrow is one spread out airport.  It took about 40 minutes to get out of the airport.  

The bus made two stops before ours.  The first one (I think it was Richardson - something like that - about 1/3 of the bus got off.  Glen moved to the empty seats and watched to make sure that our luggage wasn’t accidentally unloaded (happened to him once).  Next stop was Southampton University.  No one wanted off, so we went on.  However we stopped a few blocks later, since the one person who wanted off didn’t answer. 

By the time we got to the Southampton coach stop, we were about 10 minutes late.  No biggie, since we have no plans.  It took about 10 minutes to get our luggage, since most people were leaving there, but we did get it.

It’s less than 1/2 mile from the station to the hotel, so we waked.  We got to the hotel a little after 3, and checked in.  It’s not great but well located.  I’d asked for a high floor, since it has two small elevators, and if there are ships in port, especially on City terminal is very close.

image.jpeg.0b16ae436da3d53f0871873f087b0f39.jpeg

You can see the top of a Norwegian ship.  The building in front,, by the way, is Carnival UK.

I’d done a chat with the hotel, and asked for a high floor.  I was happy that we’re on the top floor, which means we won’t have to wait as full elevators go by.  

We pretty much rested until dinner time.  Since we didn’t have lunch, we decided to go at around 6:40.  The mall across the way has a lot of restaurants, but I think most are fast ethnic food, so we decided to go to the put we went to in 2022.

Turns out we picked exactly the wrong time, because a large group of young women and maybe parents (we’re guessing a school thing since they all arrived at once just before us.  The bar is at the entrance and they were all there getting drinks.  We stood there, for a few minutes and then I asked about a dinner table, and they said there’d be a wait..  Since it was now very loud, we left.

Once outside,  we looked at local restaurants, and found one two blocks away called Georges.  It’s listed as Greek, but that was just a part of the menu.  It’s been around for about 65 years, and has been owned by the same family since it opened.

They weren’t busy and their friendly server seated us immediately.  We started with olives and pita bread.  When the server (she seemed to be the only one there) arrived with it, she noticed us doing the NYT games.  She said she plays them and we had a nice conversation about the American bias.  

Glen had a kabab combo dinner, and I opted for chicken breast in a stilton sauce.  The chicken was OK but the sauce was excellent.  We also got a slaw, plus there were chips (Fries in American).  She asked if I wanted ketchup, but I said malt vinegar.  That made her happy.

After dinner (no dessert, lots coming up), we walked back a different way they we got there.  Some interesting things.

The walk was along some of medievel remains of the city.  Here’s one of the historical markers.

image.jpeg.f58ef6fabb1533856bdfd082e33bee74.jpeg

We also passed a city art project to raise money for something.  This one is painted lighthouses.

image.jpeg.e44fff770c3df4613360005fc2d64c6f.jpeg

You see things like this all over the world.  Usually they're animals, though.

Next was another marker indicating that Jane Austin had been at a dance there.

image.jpeg.394d0d6299f43e37ccd5b7753f9f82d7.jpeg

Finally, we saw this fun thing

image.jpeg.46f46c707cdc14dea486411ae0d9efa2.jpeg

When we got to the front of the building, we saw it was a swim center, so presumably that’s a water slide that goes out of the building.

Once back at the hotel, I grabbed my laptop and started writing.  The problem is the room only has one chair, and Glen was in it.  So I decided to take my laptop to the lobby, get my free drink and finish for the day, which is where I am now.  After this, shower (with washcloths we brought from home - got them at Target - 5.00 for 8, so we’ll leave them here.  This hotel doesn't have them, I guess it's a European thing.); and bed.  We board tomorrow!

Had a quick laugh regarding the washcloths! We were in Italy and Croatia in June and were bemused by the lack of washcloths, surprising even at the JW Marriott in Venice...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pantheral said:

Had a quick laugh regarding the washcloths! We were in Italy and Croatia in June and were bemused by the lack of washcloths, surprising even at the JW Marriott in Venice...

The Marriott at Heathrow had washcloths.  We'll see about our Air B&B between the cruises and the Renaissance at the airport.  I guess I'll leave the ones that are left in the suitcase after the trip for our Portugal trip (Azamara) in November.

Day 1 Embarkation

We both had a jet lag based wake up in the middle of the night last night, but did get back to sleep for a few hours.

We woke again at 9.  I looked out of the windows and we could see the Apex.

image.jpeg.e9b749e215ca5fce9376c074149c120a.jpeg

We got dressedt about 10 we went down to the lobby for some complementary coffee.  Last time I thought they had regular coffee but today it was just an espresso machine in the lobby.  I drank a little, but it was hot so I went back upstairs and added some of the milk packets in the room.   After Glen arrived, around 10:30 we decided to head to the ship, since hanging around the Moxy isn’t that comfortable.

We arrived a bit before 11.  Luggage drop was at the far end of the terminal, so off we went (last time an officer took our luggage for us at the entrance).  We then walked back to the terminal entrance.  There was a separate retreat entrance (wasn’t there in 2022).  After security there was a separate area where we sat and got checked in, and then walked to the ship.  

We dropped our bags, and went to our room to drop bags, and then to the lounge.  Here’s the view from the ship.

image.jpeg.8346ff6f882643587c25ef9f00914958.jpeg

I had a latte and part of a kit Royale, as they had a tray with sparking wine and Kir Royals at the bar. 

We finished those around 12:40 and decided to go to our muster station.  Since it was earlier than I like lunch, we decided to stop for a latte at Al Baccio.  There was plenty of seating (one of the plus points on E class) but I stopped at the display case.

image.jpeg.6730b23187a194aec6327e5a59dd8595.jpeg

Notice something different?  There are mini sandwiches.   Also, the lemon tarts are different, and I’ll try to get a picture of that tomorrow.

At about 1:15 we went to lunch.  We were seated by the window in the Alcove behind the hostess stand.  Our waiter was Usmena (something like that), not the same as December, but very nice.  I had the beet soup, which is not borscht, but more of a stew, and the steak with bearnaise.  Pretty good, and we both skipped dessert.

I’m falling asleep so rest of today, tomorrow.

• Like 7

On 8/15/2024 at 1:41 PM, abbydancer2003 said:

with washcloths we brought from home

Your comment made me smile. I’ve got a dedicated washcloth I bought in Greece which now goes with me on all European vacations. I’ve yet to stay in a European hotel which had washcloths. We just returned from England and Scotland and I was so glad to have my own.

Looking forward to your experience on APEX as we have a cruise booked on her in February.

Have a great cruise!!! 🚢 🍾 🥂

Day 1 embarkation part 2

Going on with our day …

After lunch we went back to the room, and our luggage was not there yet.  We did meet Sergio, our room steward and Kenneth our butler.  Both seem very nice.

I recalled that the social media and cruise critic meet up was at 4 at the rooftop.  We went there, but it had a lot of people, and it looked like no one looking for anyone else.  I went back to the phone and then found the post that it had been moved to 5.  We waited out the hour in the lounge.  I had another latte.

At 5 we went back to the Rooftop, but there was no difference.   We did see a family who said the were looking for the group, but they soon left.  At about 5:15 we gave up, and went back to the room to unpack our luggage.

Our next stop was the lounge for a pre dinner drink.  It was quiet when we got there, but we did see our new friend Jack (we’d met him in New York in July), and his husband Andrew.  We sat with them for a bit and then the 4 of us went to dinner.  

We were seated at the same table we had for lunch.  I do like that little alcove.  Our waiter was the same.  I started with the short rib appetizer, which was two small pieces of short rib, with (I think) fried turnip and some pomegranate seeds.  Jesus had given us one back on the Beyond, and I’d liked it.  For my main I had the cannelloni, which was also good.  And for dessert I had the orange sponge dessert, which is actually pretty good, and fairly light.

We had a very nice dinner with our companions.

After dinner we went back to the room, hoping to get some rest.  I had trouble sleeping, so hopefully the jet lag will ease up soon.

Tomorrow is our first sea day of just two.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Day 1 Embarkation

We both had a jet lag based wake up in the middle of the night last night, but did get back to sleep for a few hours.

We woke again at 9.  I looked out of the windows and we could see the Apex.

image.jpeg.e9b749e215ca5fce9376c074149c120a.jpeg

We got dressedt about 10 we went down to the lobby for some complementary coffee.  Last time I thought they had regular coffee but today it was just an espresso machine in the lobby.  I drank a little, but it was hot so I went back upstairs and added some of the milk packets in the room.   After Glen arrived, around 10:30 we decided to head to the ship, since hanging around the Moxy isn’t that comfortable.

We arrived a bit before 11.  Luggage drop was at the far end of the terminal, so off we went (last time an officer took our luggage for us at the entrance).  We then walked back to the terminal entrance.  There was a separate retreat entrance (wasn’t there in 2022).  After security there was a separate area where we sat and got checked in, and then walked to the ship.  

We dropped our bags, and went to our room to drop bags, and then to the lounge.  Here’s the view from the ship.

image.jpeg.8346ff6f882643587c25ef9f00914958.jpeg

I had a latte and part of a kit Royale, as they had a tray with sparking wine and Kir Royals at the bar. 

We finished those around 12:40 and decided to go to our muster station.  Since it was earlier than I like lunch, we decided to stop for a latte at Al Baccio.  There was plenty of seating (one of the plus points on E class) but I stopped at the display case.

image.jpeg.6730b23187a194aec6327e5a59dd8595.jpeg

Notice something different?  There are mini sandwiches.   Also, the lemon tarts are different, and I’ll try to get a picture of that tomorrow.

At about 1:15 we went to lunch.  We were seated by the window in the Alcove behind the hostess stand.  Our waiter was Usmena (something like that), not the same as December, but very nice.  I had the beet soup, which is not borscht, but more of a stew, and the steak with bearnaise.  Pretty good, and we both skipped dessert.

I’m falling asleep so rest of today, tomorrow.

My favorite table.  

Following along. We just returned Monday from a nine night cruise on the Anthem out of Southampton and have the Alex booked next May for an eight night Norwegian Fjord cruise. We watched your sail away yesterday on YouTube. 

Sounds like you had a much better experience at Heathrow than we did. No gate for our plane upon arrival so they parked us on the tarmac and we had to wait thirty minutes for shuttles to arrive to take us to a terminal for our luggage. Took one and a half hours to get luggage with no AC. Our original flight home was canceled very late in the evening and getting to a hotel at one of the terminals was a work out. Was not impressed with Heathrow. 

Day 2 Sea Day 1 Saturday 1

Even though the clock went forward last night (now on Central European time I think) we set an alarm for 8, in time for breakfast.  We called Kenneth for coffee, but at first, he didn’t answer.  Glen then tried the butler button and that worked.  Glen also reported the headset didn’t work,   I’m not quite sure how it all resolved, but we did get coffee in plenty of time.

For breakfast, we were seated in the alcove again.  We shared a fruit plate and Glen ordered Eggs in Purgatory, which is a quail egg shatshuka.  I had a small omelette and bacon.  Our server decided to give us enough bacon for two.

After breakfast Glen decided to go to the lounge with his laptop, and I went to the sundeck pool to do my pool exercises for my physical therapy.  There were few people there, as the weather was chilly.  After my bit of exercise, I went to the hot tub and spent about 20 minutes there.  

After that it was one of our favorite cruise things - do nothing.  

A little after 1, we decided to go to lunch.  As we were heading down the hallway, Maria, our butler from the last South America set was heading towards our room.  After big hugs, she said that Jack and Andrew had told her we were here.  We spent a few minutes talking to her, and saw some of her baby pictures (in 2023 we wandered all over Ushuaia looking for a baby gift, as she was leaving for maternity leave).  When she asked if we were in the same room, I said we’d got a move up, but I sent Glen to lunch, since all he knows is that it’s an upper suite.  (Edge Villa, since he doesn’t read this).  

It was nice seeing her, and I’m sure we’ll see her again.  

I went up to Luminae and Glen was seated at a table in the main area of the dining room.  We didn’t have our regular waiter (although he stopped by and said we’d see him at dinner.  

After lunch it was back to room.  We’re very sleep deprived, so taking it easy today.  I did go to Al Baccio and made my first casino visit.   Today they had lemon meringue tarts, which is what we are used to.

There was a retreat Soiree tonight, but we decided to skip it.  We’ll go next time.  

At about 7:15 we got dressed (evening chic) and headed to the lounge for a drink.  

We were there about 1/2 hour, and then around 8:20 went to dinner.  The alcove with the wall separation with the main room was full, but we sat against the back wall next to the alcove.  It was probably quieter than the main room, and our server Ushmea  was able to work with us.

The amuse bouche was nice, tomatoes, cheese and tapioca pearls.

image.jpeg.9deed82446ab5893a9510aa353cd4bee.jpeg

For a starter, we both had the beef tartare.  It was actually quite good.  I told Ushmea that, and I think I’m getting it again tomorrow.  We’ll see

image.jpeg.ea6b2a888aa40d843dce48f1f3532aa7.jpeg

For entrees, I had filet mignon with béarnaise, baked potato and mixed veggies.  Unremarkable but good.  Glen opted for the lamb loin, which was good but not as good as the rack on the other formal night.

For dessert, I had marscapone cheesecake. It’s kind of deconstructed, but it’s very  nice.

image.jpeg.8d56ca6cef624ce4fc641982db8be454.jpeg

Glen had vanilla ice cream.  He asked for one scoop, but got three perfect little spheres.  He wanted me to post a picture, so here it is.  Admire their perfectness.

image.jpeg.a159f02518fdbaad9916ab68cc7e43dc.jpeg

After dinner we called it a night.  We’re still jet lagged.

• Like 8