Looking for the river cruise reservation.

iaae22

We are about to start planning our first river cruise and I can really use some help. 
We have cruise for 20+ years but only oceans. We know what we are looking for but there are just too many choices, so if someone can help me scale down to 3-4 companies I would really appreciate. 
We are only interested in two European revers ( for now) - Rhine or Douro

We prefer to travel light so no fancy dress up like suits or tax.

Port intensive is great for us

We are not drinkers so alcohol included is not important 

Interesting, informative tours will be appreciated, we are good with a lot of walking/hiking

We’ll be booking French balcony or reg balcony. Suits are nice but not a necessity for us but we’ll not go below French balcony.

We have no need for butler but if cruise comes with one it’s ok.

We are food adventurers and not picky, would like to try new/local dishes.

We are looking for best price for the money not necessary luxury but upscale.

if it helps for the ocean cruise we travel with HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Oceania.

thanks!

Based on all the factors you mention, I would suggest AmaWaterways.  They do both the rivers you mention, no formal dress code [this is usual on river cruises], port intensive [also usual] and with a very large selection of excursions so you will find interesting things to do everywhere, not all-inclusive re alcohol, cabins have French plus regular balconies (called Twin Balconies), no butlers, very good food (the only cruise line that is a member of the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs), and are definitely upscale (but not luxury in the sense of all-inclusive or Uniworld's ultra-décor).  I would compare AMA to Oceania (top quality, à la carte pricing).

However I would also suggest that you look at Scenic, which has everything I just described about AMA except the Twin Balconies – Scenic combines both features in one Sun Lounge (aka 'infinite veranda') which works really well – plus they are all inclusive and have Butlers on the top deck.  The big reason I recommend them is that they offer 10-night versions of many itineraries (including the Douro) in addition to the usual 7-nights.  Those added nights allow even more sightseeing but also a slightly less frantic pace.

As to the Rhine, look at itineraries that include the Moselle too, for beautiful scenery that matches the advertising!

• Like 1

I agree with @Host Jazzbeau in that Ama seems to fit what you are asking for. I have not done Scenic or Avalon or any others that I predict might be suggested, so I can not compare. They may fit just as well. You will find a common thread is that once people find a line they like, they seldom switch. We like Ama, and have had no reason to try anyone else. At least not yet.

One thing I'll add to what @Host Jazzbeau said is that unless it's a special all ship event (like an evening wine tasting), there will always be options for excursions (up to 5?). Popular tours will have multiple guides to keep individual groups smaller. Guides are all local experts. Walking tours are almost always divided into 'normal', 'easy', 'active'. And many ports will have the option of a bicycle tour if that interests you.

We will be doing the Rhine next may (would love to do the longer Moselle version, but not enough vacation time for DW & DD, plus we did part of that with "Rivers and Castles" (which I highly recommend).

We have also done more ocean cruises than river cruises, almost all Royal Caribbean. Ocean cruising and river cruising are very different, but we like them both.

Here is a review I did of AmaMagna on the Danube. Ignore the ship, as it's not typical, but might give you a sense of excursions and I do talk about dress at one point.

I think Avalon would also suit, as like Avalon, they are not totally "all inclusive". They have several choices each day for excursions, as well as having Active and Discovery cruises (on the Rhine, they just started on the Douro this year) where you can bike, hike, kayak, canoe or more "cultural" activities like cooking, art etc. 

My suggestion is to talk to a travel advisor who can help you out with an unbiased opinion. They will probably have cruised on several lines and can help you find what you are looking for in your budget.

Thank you all - your information is very helpful. 
We would prefer 8-12 days cruise if possible. If we get 7 day trip we’ll add land before and after, if 11/12 only before or after as we can’t take more then two weeks off.

Someone also mentioned Gate 1 - any thoughts on that line.

One more question- timing: what will be better spring or fall( from the less river water issue perspective)?

"Normally" early spring time brings high water, and summer brings low. However we sailed mid-Sept. last year on the Danube and ran into low water. You basically just have to "go with the flow" and hope for the best, as it all depends on the weather for that year. 

One thing to keep in mind is the temp. End of April to mid-May you will have temps close to the 20's, and I would usually say end of Sept - mid Oct should be cooler as well. There is a lot of walking on the tours, so unless you are used to hot temps, you may prefer cooler weather. One thing we found for our cruise in Sept., by the time you are eating dinner, it's dark, whereas when we sail in May, we can still see the scenery while eating. Since the ships normally sail evenings/night, it's nice to see what you are passing by. 🙂

I don't know anything about Gate 1, but if you do a search in here you may find some reviews.

On 8/14/2024 at 8:45 PM, iaae22 said:

We are only interested in two European revers ( for now) - Rhine or Douro

Two notes on that.

1. The Rhine is an industrial, very busy waterway. The scenery is good to great but you share it with barges and tankers as well as other river cruise ships. The Douro has more "drama" as a whole in the scenery so has been compared to the Moselle as the river being the closest equivalent. There on the Douro you are basically alone with other river cruise ships.

2. The Rhine is a long river and you sail mostly at night to get to the next port whereas the Douro is a short river for sailing and you only do it during the day.

notamermaid

• Like 2

We found the Douro cruise easily our least favourite river cruise itinerary. Due to the geography of the area with the steep sides, every day started with a bus tour. I read a review that said it was a bus trip but you got to eat and sleep on a boat! I agree with that. 

The good thing about the Rhine is that there are sailing along sessions which are lovely and the boat moors in little towns and villages so you can just get off the boat and wander around. There are some gorgeous picturesque places on this tour. Real chocolate box German villages.

• Like 1