Wheel chair sky suite size vs magic carpet sky

Posted (edited)

Hi 

had both knees replaced several months ago.  Complications are requiring a walker. Maybe a scooter. 

For $300 more we can get an accessible sky cabin.  Looks like larger.  What’s folks thoughts on these cabins. It’s on the ascent. 

Thanks 

Edited by tomcruiser1234

14 minutes ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Hi 

had both knees replaced several months ago.  Complications are requiring a walker. Maybe a scooter. 

For $300 more we can get an accessible sky cabin.  Looks like larger.  What’s folks thoughts on these cabins. It’s on the ascent. 

Thanks 

I just did a quick search but was not able to find.  Anyway about one month or so ago someone posted a pic of the same suite on Apex.  They reported that it met every single need and worth noting, that person said they used a wheelchair.  I’ll try to find the pic later, but I think you will be ok.

The bathrooms in MC sky suite would be hard to utilize.  They have an oversized tub that you would need to get in to access the shower.  I think you should get the accessible cabin.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

The bathrooms in MC sky suite would be hard to utilize.  They have an oversized tub that you would need to get in to access the shower.  I think you should get the accessible cabin.

Actually all Sky Suites have the same tub shower which does require one to step over the side (12-13”) and now much to grab on to.

The accessible cabins have a roll-in shower. 

• Like 2

Take the accessible sky suite.  You'll be glad you did.  Lots of grab bars in the bathroom and an accessible shower.   You're lucky an accessible stateroom was available.   They go quickly.  And they are larger.

It shouldn't be a question of which is bigger per se.  But it is important for the features others have mentioned which may be of value to you at this point in time.  And while I wouldn't pick just on size as the HC suites are for those who really need them, since you just had surgeries and you may need a scooter they will definitely provide more space to store the scooter in addition to the other helpful configurations.

agree. go accessible. We are familiar with accessible and have stayed in a MC suite.  The accessible is designed for specific needs. There wasnt a tub but a shower you could roll into with a fold down seat for transferring to.  Lots of grab bars. Cabin Far larger which would make maneuvering a skooter or wheelchair easier. Same as going out onto balcony, there was a slight rise or ramp to facilitate going onto balcony - regular slide open doors.  The entry doors were automatic- so swung open allowing enough time for entry. Closed automatically, and in reverse, exiting, push the button and door to leave opened allowing one to get into the corridor easily   Hope this helps

11 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

agree. go accessible. We are familiar with accessible and have stayed in a MC suite.  The accessible is designed for specific needs. There wasnt a tub but a shower you could roll into with a fold down seat for transferring to.  Lots of grab bars. Cabin Far larger which would make maneuvering a skooter or wheelchair easier. Same as going out onto balcony, there was a slight rise or ramp to facilitate going onto balcony - regular slide open doors.  The entry doors were automatic- so swung open allowing enough time for entry. Closed automatically, and in reverse, exiting, push the button and door to leave opened allowing one to get into the corridor easily   Hope this helps

I’ll echo this.  We stayed in an accessible on Beyond through a move up.  The room seems huge to me.  It looked big enough for a wheelchair.  There was no problem with water leaking from the shower.

On 8/14/2024 at 9:26 PM, tomcruiser1234 said:

....For $300 more we can get an accessible sky cabin.  Looks like larger....

To address the size comparison, on the TA website I use it describes these cabins as 398-517 square feet. I'd guess that means accessible could be 517 compared to the others at 398. Taking broad numbers at 500v400 that makes the accessible cabin 25% larger overall. 

16 minutes ago, hamrag said:

To address the size comparison, on the TA website I use it describes these cabins as 398-517 square feet. I'd guess that means accessible could be 517 compared to the others at 398. Taking broad numbers at 500v400 that makes the accessible cabin 25% larger overall. 

It was my first time in a SS but it did seem huuuge.

Wow great pictures 1virgo. Thanks. 

I hate to take the last Cabin. Who knows i may and hope I wont need it any more. However, I am sure it will be gone if I dont take it now.  When we get to final payment 90 days before, I could always move to another cabin if 1 were to be available. 

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Wow great pictures 1virgo. Thanks. 

I hate to take the last Cabin. Who knows i may and hope I wont need it any more. However, I am sure it will be gone if I dont take it now.  When we get to final payment 90 days before, I could always move to another cabin if 1 were to be available. 

Thoughts?

IMO.  Take it. you are still having residuals from surgeries. Even if you go to skooter or crutches, the shower getting in and out of is not like trying to lift legs and get a bend over a tub edge.   As one who got tripped up by a tub, face planted and broke orbital bones, not worth the risk.   Take it. Relax and enjoy your mobility in the cabin