Gem B2B, August 23 thru September 6 review from Boston at $57* per person per day

Still in Portland, 2 hours late, just sitting here, everyone is back, no announcement on why. Could it be the lifeboat release that they have been working on all day with a sledgehammer? 

Edited by JIMESOPUS
  • Haha 4

Goooood morning, Jim ... checking CruiseMapper over Starlink WiFi from somewhere offshore, Alaska and looks like Gem was free at last, finally.  Bar Harbor bound, woohoo - stories & pictures, pretty please ... when internet is working for you. 

Happy cruising for all of us.  Best regards & wishes - Henry / mking8288

Back at the home office, after dealing with the internet for 12 days aboard the Gem, I raised the white flag, think we left over 100 minutes available. 

Banging Head Against Wall GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Edited by JIMESOPUS
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Back at the home office, after dealing with the internet for 12 days aboard the Gem, I raised the white flag, think we left over 100 minutes available. 

Banging Head Against Wall GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Dealing with minutes is always an issue, better to have the unlimited..

4 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Glad to have you back @JIMESOPUS. I miss you on this thread as well as on @mking8288's thread with his fancy new friends.

@Sugar MagnoliaShould have known that doing a live was almost impossible based on previous posts, had to laugh when folks who purchased the premium package were standing in line for hours demanding their money back. 

@zqvolReally not a heavy user while aboard, but could in the past easily upload several pictures without major delays, seems since they have three levels of users, two paying and one free, that the free users have a limited amount of bandwidth.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@Sugar MagnoliaShould have known that doing a live was almost impossible based on previous posts, had to laugh when folks who purchased the premium package were standing in line for hours demanding their money back.

I would be one of those poor schmucks standing in line shaking my fist.

Internet issues aside, did you like the spruced up Gem? Does she still sparkle for you?

• Haha 2

Sorry about the abbreviated “ Live “ but I was warned by others.

So how was it?

In short, the Gem has been and will always be home to us. Even with the shiny and bright Spinnaker and Bar Central lounges, the new carpets and flooring, the missing wooden door on deck #12, and working window blinds at the Spinnaker, it’s still the Gem.

Even though these past 2 cruises were a vast improvement over the January 2024 Jade cruise, for us, NCL has lost its way and is no longer our first choice.

Black Falcon Cruise Port, embarkation couldn’t have been any easier, except for security which wanted almost everything in that tub, I haven’t taken my belt off in a while. From the time we dropped off our luggage, went through security, and boarded the ship it was under an hour. On the following cruise, our second leg, PAXs were boarding around the same time. By the looks of the pier facilities, there is only room for one ship and most of them are smaller in capacity

The disembarkation process started in Portland with Immigration ( Portland on both cruises was our first US stop ).

We stepped out of our cabin for the last time around 0730 and called Enterprise Car Rental at 0815, about two blocks from the terminal, in front of the Hampton Inn. A nice feature was the automated ramp down to ground level; those escalators at the Manhattan Terminal need to be replaced with this ramp. It felt very safe and secure going down with our luggage.

It will be interesting when the Aqua disembarks next April.

• Like 6

It seems the internet issues followed us home, lost power and it took out one of the nest routers, Alexa and Ziggy were not happy campers

The Ugly, Bad and Good

Ugly 

Well, that's simple for us, the Internet and the communications manager. In the past, the “ free minutes “ we have been able to read emails, log into FB, and make posts here. But it was a battle, spotty wifi strength on the first cruise ( almost no signal strength inside the cabin  ) plus the second cruise random disconnects. I also included the Communications manager ( new title ). On the first day of the second cruise, I noticed that 150 minutes were missing for both of us, went down and stood in line for about 30 minutes. After explaining what was missing, he attempted to log on to his computer 3 times before typing in the correct password and confirming that the minutes were missing and should be there. A promised call back before 5 PM never happened. On the second day, stood in line for over 30 minutes only to be told that he was at a meeting for most of the day, was unavailable and only he could correct the issue. That night we finally found him at his desk, it took him 30 seconds to add our minutes and put the blame on Miami for not getting back to him yesterday.

Bad

Entertainment, Cruise Director, and her staff. Having only one Magician ( Card Magic ) four times a week and then the Production cast the other three nights is setting new standards in cutting back. Music around the ship was a joke, the only good band was the Show Band from the ship. 

While the Cruise Director was OK, her staff at times seemed disinterested in what they were doing, with very little interaction between them and passengers. Since she is ultimately responsible for the entertainment and staff, the blame should be placed on her or is it Miami again?

Good 

MDR staff was fast and efficient, the food came out hot and correct.

Guest services were super friendly and knowledgeable, were able to communicate problems with the cabin and the maintenance response was fast and corrected ( the cabin was an icebox, whistling toilet, and scalding shower ) the first time. 

Bar staff across the ship greeted you with a smile, a short wait to place your order even during busy times, and seemed to be able to make anything, of course with that upcharge included. 

Cabin Steward or whatever their title is, we had a switch after the first cruise. Both of them did a great job, they had 21 cabins, 18 on one side of O’Sheehan’s and three on the other side. Of course, the 18 got done first before moving the cart up the elevator, through a hallway, and then back down.

Edited by JIMESOPUS
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@JIMESOPUS I can deal with non-existent entertainment or uninspiring food on a ship but I cannot deal with non-existent internet on a ship, especially since I tend to take longer cruises and need to be in touch with my home base and fan base. Colorado Ken is trying to persuade me to sail on the Gem in January but this could put a full stop for me.

Since we know Starlink is currently operating on the Gem, though "operating" might be a poor word choice, what hope is there going forward? Any word from your Communications Manager whether there are plans to upgrade the ship's infrastructure?

Glad to hear that the MDR and the staff at the bars, guest services and housekeeping were all great and accommodating. 

Will you share with us your adventures off the Gem? Did you go to Julien's Patisserie in Halifax?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

@JIMESOPUS I can deal with non-existent entertainment or uninspiring food on a ship but I cannot deal with non-existent internet on a ship, especially since I tend to take longer cruises and need to be in touch with my home base and fan base. Colorado Ken is trying to persuade me to sail on the Gem in January but this could put a full stop for me.

Since we know Starlink is currently operating on the Gem, though "operating" might be a poor word choice, what hope is there going forward? Any word from your Communications Manager whether there are plans to upgrade the ship's infrastructure?

Glad to hear that the MDR and the staff at the bars, guest services and housekeeping were all great and accommodating. 

Will you share with us your adventures off the Gem? Did you go to Julien's Patisserie in Halifax?

@Sugar Magnolia - I think they are still working on it? We found several guys not in traditional NCL uniforms working on the router in the hallway outside our dead wifi cabin.

Not Gelato, but ice cream can be found in Bermuda

20240825_130755.jpg

20240825_130802.jpg

20240825_131711.jpg

Edited by JIMESOPUS
  • Like 1

Being home stinks, noticed the water heater not working correctly, the gas valve defective. So do I spend $300 on a part for an old water heater or buy a new water heater for $700? 

Back to the review,

Latitudes desk and returning members.

The folks at the desk were more interested in selling cruise next certificates than anything else.

They offered only in-cabin category upgrades if available and a double certificate, and didn't know how to apply that special 15% coupon we have. 

Most of the returning Latitudes passengers ( 57% and 52% ) were Gold tier or lower, only 1 Ambassador on the first cruise, none on the second, and only a handful of Diamonds for both cruises as per the desk.

Nobody could or would offer any official headcount only that the first cruise was at 95% full and the second was at 90% full, the average age was 53 for the first cruise and 67 for the second cruise.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Hey Jim,

I just had to replace my hot water tank-- tank plus plumber installation $ 2400.  I live in a manufactured home which might make a difference as to what is required.

Wow!

On 9/6/2024 at 8:35 PM, JIMESOPUS said:

Even though these past 2 cruises were a vast improvement over the January 2024 Jade cruise, for us, NCL has lost its way and is no longer our first choice.

I'm completely shocked that your January Jade cruise was bad. Our February Jade cruise was the best one we ever had. By far. Service, food, etc., was all outstanding. Wonder what changed in the month between those two cruises.

53 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Most of the returning Latitudes passengers ( 57% and 52% ) were Gold tier or lower, only 1 Ambassador on the first cruise, none on the second, and only a handful of Diamonds for both cruises as per the desk.

This number to me helps show that many regular NCL cruisers are leaving. If the intent is to somehow gain more cruisers who may not be regular cruisers and are a younger demographic that may or may not be a strategy that works long term. I suppose time will tell.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

So do I spend $300 on a part for an old water heater or buy a new water heater for $700? 

Since you asked! Go with a hybrid heat pump hot water tank. We're all heat pump/mini split in our house for AC/heat/dehydration, and when we did that, we went with the hybrid hot water tank. It works so well, filter hasn't needed to be replaced yet (two years in - watch tomorrow, it'll need to be replaced), and the actual energy cost is a proverbial drop in the bucket (our app tells us it costs about $0.10 per day). 

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Hey Jim,

I just had to replace my hot water tank-- tank plus plumber installation $ 2400.  I live in a manufactured home which might make a difference as to what is required.

Outside DC, including installation and permitting of a 75-gallon gas-powered tank at Home Depot runs $2800 and even more for a better brand tank. 

Edited by GALSews

@schmoopie17 and @www3traveler We found a " manager " that was aboard the Jade during that January time frame, the issue was short staffing. He went a little further by saying that there were many new crew members released from their contracts right after the holidays, he didn't say fired but only released. I have to assume that the new crew missed their family or didn't like this life aboard the ship, and wanted out by any means.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the band Upgrade. Spent most nights closing down Spinnaker with them. The pulled off an amazing cover of Purple Rain and Led Zepplin’s Rock and Roll. I thought Teo and Geo from the cruise staff were a lot of fun and very engaging. We cruised with Hafsa ( the ACD) about a year and a half ago through the Panama Canal. 
With the exception of Sydney the weather was perfect, Embarkation, Disembarkation and even CBP inspection in Portland was quick. Just needed to follow instructions.

A very fun cruise!

40 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@schmoopie17 and @www3traveler We found a " manager " that was aboard the Jade during that January time frame, the issue was short staffing. He went a little further by saying that there were many new crew members released from their contracts right after the holidays, he didn't say fired but only released. I have to assume that the new crew missed their family or didn't like this life aboard the ship, and wanted out by any means.

I have seen a number of crew members who do not make it past their second week.  Most of them were young and never been away from home before signing on to a ship. It takes a very type of person to be able to endure long contracts.  Special type of family at home too, not easy on them either.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, lax19 said:

I really enjoyed the band Upgrade. Spent most nights closing down Spinnaker with them. The pulled off an amazing cover of Purple Rain and Led Zepplin’s Rock and Roll. I thought Teo and Geo from the cruise staff were a lot of fun and very engaging. We cruised with Hafsa ( the ACD) about a year and a half ago through the Panama Canal. 
With the exception of Sydney the weather was perfect, Embarkation, Disembarkation and even CBP inspection in Portland was quick. Just needed to follow instructions.

A very fun cruise!

We spent most of the time at Bar Central and found the service better there. Did someone play a flute in Upgrade? Most of the time it was the Guitar or Piano Guy. Both of them could play but both of them shouldn't sing.

The ACD looked like a manakin during the Gem morning show, she just stood there and said almost nothing. The dress she wore during the Newlywed show was a joke, right?

Correct with the weather along with Bermuda, except for that Thunderstorm during the sunset cruise on a catamaran. 

Impressed with the efficiency of the Port and ship during Embarkation and Disembarkation. As you said,  just follow the instructions, that Canadian form was a nightmare for Guest Services and some passengers.

I had to laugh at the CBP inspection line, hardly anybody lined up early on the first cruise but on the second there were folks lined up before the ship even docked.

That was a common theme for the second cruise, line up early, 

@cruiseny4life Looked at Hybrid several years ago. We don't have enough space in the mechanical room, they make some noise, remove heat from an area that I'm trying to heat in the winter, and it would be an additional load on my solar system. 

The new heater just arrived, easy to install since all the connections are flexible, the only concern would be the vent which is an easy fix with duct tape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1