What are your favorite eating places onboard (not MDR or Specialty)

Dave JS

Dutch cafe is my favorite lunch spot.  Other than that I stick with the MDR or the lido.  Rarely do I go to the Dive In, the pizza place or use room service 

• Like 3

It depends on the ship. On the Pinnacle class ships it would be NY Deli with Grand Dutch Cafe a close second. On the other ships it would be Dive In.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Dutch cafe is my favorite lunch spot.  Other than that I stick with the MDR or the lido.  Rarely do I go to the Dive In, the pizza place or use room service 

So is LIdo a fill in for any meal that you want to save some time?

Just now, Dave JS said:

I am not a big fan of buffets so for me it is for late lunch on shore days or a very light dinner occasionally.  My go to is the MDR, everything else is to accommodate a busy day

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave JS said:

I go to the Lido buffet for salads for lunch on sea days or dinner on port days when we've had a big lunch onshore. You can really build a great salad there!

• Like 1

I've discovered that if you ask nicely, you can get hot dogs at the Dive-In smothered (or sometimes just garnished) in sauerkraut. The hot dogs have a casing, which gives them a "snap." I asked if they were genuine Nathan's and was told no.

The hot dogs at Dive-In are my guilty pleasure, not for an everyday indulgence. Because I succumb too often to the temptation to gluttony, I must sign up exclusively for the sailings with a padre on board.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Dive-in is definitely our favorite for lunch if the Lido or MDR aren't appealing, probably more so for my husband though. I'm pretty happy with a salad from the Lido with some sushi.

If we're not feeling up to dressing up (i.e., putting on slacks or a button-up shirt for my husband), the Lido is great. They typically offer the same foods from the MDR with a few other items. My husband loves to go up to the Lido for his pre-dinner lamb chops cooked to order on lamb chop night. They rarely give him enough in the MDR so he likes to get a head start. 😉

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I just discovered this summer that the Dive In hot dogs are fantastic!  I would only get burgers there before.  I wanted a hot dog every time we ate lunch there by the end of our cruise!

I always get a hot dog w/crunchy onions, no bun. Every cruise - they're as important as GDC 😎

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kay S said:

Dive In has really good hamburgers.  The hot dogs are good, too.  There's also the fries...

They are good fries, sometimes when very rushed they cut some corners on the proper cooking times.  

Better is to get the plain fries then take them over to the nacho bar and load them up.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Lido Salad Bar is yummy.

Dive in wasn't great for me and neither was the NY Deli (with the exception that it was the only place to find lime balsamic salad dressing  and I could drink that stuff). Wait, I forgot, the NY deli has chicken wings after 9:00 p.m. if they are showing a movie at the pool and I skipped dinner for those once (or three times) . 

My go-to for dinner in the Lido is the Asian station where they make your dish fresh to order with the ingredients you want (think Mongolian BBQ). Pretty sure this was chicken, but there are other protein choices to mix things up

image.thumb.png.9d9c4f5587028c9a8bfedd5e5ecbf81a.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 5

I fully understand why Lido serves drinks in plastic and I fully agree, but I like my wine in a proper glass so I choose to eat dinner either in Main dining room of any of the Specialty restaurants… on Pinnacle class ships, the Dutch cafe can offer some tasty light dinner alternatives…

17 hours ago, FrankieSue said:

The only reason stopping us from dining in the Lido is that wine is served in plastic glasses 😖

I usually hit up a bar, because they have a better selection then the MDR or even the specialty restaurants, and grab a glass of wine and take it to dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1