Upgrade from Balcony to Mini Suite

Nolala

I’ve booked a BB balcony cabin (Aloha deck) on the Caribbean Princess.  Upgrade bidding is approaching and I’m considering putting a bid in for a mini suite.  

If anyone is more familiar with the Caribbean Princess, is it possible to get a mini suite in a less desirable location, (noise problems, obstructed view issues, etc.) than my current balcony location?  I’ve never been on this ship so any input or suggestions on this upgrade will be much appreciated.

You are correct.  What you consider a good location (BB), Princess does not.  

If you win the bid, you could be relocated to any Mini-suite location.  To Princess, this is an upgrade.  For me….I prefer to remain mid-ship.

i know of another passenger that bid on a suite.  He was given a forward suite, above the bridge, with 80% obstructing views.  The suite bathroom only came with a shower (no bath tub).

• Like 2

There are only 12 covered mini suites on the Caribbean Princess which are on the Emerald Deck aft ( they are our favorite ). Princess has made those and the most forward mini's on the Dolphin deck entry level cabins, Cat ME and are available by guarantee only.Being those cabins are GT Cat, they might be avail for upgrade before being assigned.  If you want a covered balcony I'd stick with the aloha deck cabin. If you're willing to roll the dice, go for the upgrade. We only sail in mini's. Good Luck

Mini suites are mostly located on deck 9. They have 9ft x 6ft balconies that are not covered. There are 12 mini suites on deck 8 all the way aft with covered balconies. These 12 usually fill early in the booking cycle. You could be assigned any mini suite, all the way aft to all the way forward. It's unlikely that you would be assigned a reserve class mini suite. If you consider way forward or aft less desirable than yes it's possible to get one of these locations.

The advantage of the mini suite is the sofa and some additional sq. footage.  The bath tub could be considered an advantage. Personally I consider it a disadvantage. It is more difficult for me to enter, exit and stand in the tub for a shower. 

• Like 1

A couple on our May Caribbean Princess cruise from Southampton bid on an upgrade and were given the mini-suite as far forward as it was possible to go.  The motion was terrible, they didn't sleep for 4 nights, and they had a LONG way to go to their assigned dining room which was as far aft as you could go!

We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary on a Mediterranean cruise 2 years ago on the Regal. We booked our normal favorite cabin (top deck aft balcony - we don't even look, we just book the same cabin typically) but as the cruise got closer, we figured we should go for the gusto and upgrade. It was not a good experience for us.

We ended up with a mini suite (Marina 416) which was one deck down and directly in the center of the sea walk. I would guess we were 20-30' away from the walkway but it seemed like we could shake hands with everyone on it.  It may be our imagination, but it seemed like most people spent a lot more time looking at the balconies and rooms than they did looking at the sea! We practically felt like we were part of the ship's entertainment! The sea walk also blocked a good portion of our views as well. I really think that they should put some kind of privacy material on the glass (just on the side facing the cabins) and I sent that suggestion in but never heard back (shocker). Needless to say, we almost never went on the balcony and had to leave our privacy shades closed during the entire cruise. We did walk by the cabin we wish we would have kept and wept a little.

We still had an amazing trip, and this was just one of those live and learn moments for us (bird in the hand kinda thing). I'm sure this is an extreme case, but I would imagine that all of the best rooms are always spoken for, and everything that is left to bid on is a much less desirable cabin unless it was a last-minute cancellation. As so many others have said on these boards, the trip is what you make of it no matter what negatives are thrown at you. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions.  

We’ve decided to stay with our balcony cabin and not bid on an upgrade this trip due to too many negatives, as mentioned, that may come from an upgrade.  

• Like 2