Royalup can still be modified but no new bookings can be made?

Hi - on a cruise less than 30 days out - yesterday there were lots of rooms still available including over 15 in the suite category I have submitted a bid.

Today, the bids can still be modified, but on all sites the cruise is no longer bookable in any category.

(But it doesn't say "n/a". still appears as if bookable but when choosing the cabin it says "call for availability."

Ive never experienced this before.

Any clue what's going on?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, schildiams said:

Any clue what's going on?

Royal Up offers don't depend on inventory. What you see online is not the real inventory. Inventory management is an ongoing process.

Edited by Biker19

The 2 arent related. A separate site does royal up. Often the categories are sold out. Perhaps someone will cancel. Having available cabins to book has nothing to do with royal up. Not connected. 

You are assuming you are bidding on a availble cabin? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, schildiams said:

Thanks. I'm still wondering how all of these cabins, including 15 plus suites, filled overnight and that the cruise now appears to be sold out. Is there a liquidation site? 

Don't try to figure it out...it's been this way for a long time....inventory comes and goes. Have a cruise booked and for months all JS's were sold out solid  and all of a sudden one day 10+ came available....who knows exactly how the cruise lines handle inventory. And yes...it's the cruise lines inventory...they can throw out some behind the scenes special/offer that you may not be privy to.

Edited by bajathree

We are at 27 days out and do not even appear to be eligible on Icon and there are still plenty of balconies available to upgrade from Interior.  Just keep getting the "Make sure your cruise is at least 30 days" etc.  Weird that my daughter's linked cabin has "You are eligible for an upgrade" pane???

4 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

We are at 27 days out and do not even appear to be eligible on Icon and there are still plenty of balconies available to upgrade from Interior.  Just keep getting the "Make sure your cruise is at least 30 days" etc.  Weird that my daughter's linked cabin has "You are eligible for an upgrade" pane???

Sometime the offer link doesn’t pop up in your account. Just go to the Royal Up page, input your name and reservation number.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

23 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

It also depends on who you booked your cruise with if you used a travel agent. Not all travel companies participate in the Royal Up program. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Just to add it can be random overall. We had a B2B last month. The sail dates were 1 weeks apart but the Royal up offers were probably 3-4 weeks apart. Maybe they have people from RC IT dept working for the company who administers royal up. 

39 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I think it's a glitch. I got the same thing at first but 2 hours later I could do a royal up but then it didnt say i bid. But i could click thru and got a email confirmation..  but site still said no bid. As in no bid was made, when it was made.

But I also was getting the you arent eligible. Keep trying. It's a glitch.

• Thanks 1

The company sells of a lot of “Guarantee” rooms in the various meta-categories. These “Guarantees” give them a great deal of flexibility, including the ability to oversell a category provided the meta-category can still accommodate the booking.

Periodically, this flexibility will need to be crystallised, as the inventory is actually assigned. If (unusually) big suites aren’t selling on one particular cruise but “guarantees” are, then it would likely produce better revenues to simply allocate higher grade rooms to that revenue stream. 

The “Royal up” programme is simply RCI’s marketing name for an ancillary revenue enhancement programme that is run by a Canadian company called Plusgrade. They operate similar programmes for nearly 200 transport and hospitality companies. Although these programmes are also used for smoothing imbalances in sales projections, at the apex of the pyramid (suites in this case,) there is usually nothing actually on “offer” other than the prospect of a successful upgrade bid, IF and when a cancellation or unsold room is made available to that programme. In those cases plusgrades business model is to construct revenue chains from that stock and maximise revenue to (in this case) the cruise line. 

1 hour ago, Jetdriver787 said:

In those cases plusgrades business model is to construct revenue chains from that stock and maximise revenue to (in this case) the cruise line. 

And likely gather valuable marketing data (how much customers are willing to bid) even if no inventory actually exists.

17 hours ago, schildiams said:

Thanks. I'm still wondering how all of these cabins, including 15 plus suites, filled overnight and that the cruise now appears to be sold out. Is there a liquidation site? 

You can drive yourself nuts checking the inventory and trying figure out if you’ve won, even though the inventory has nothing to do with how Royal Up works. Every day on FB there are endless posts obsessing over what cabins are or aren’t left and asking whether it means they’ll win. The best thing is to just assume the room you booked is what you’re getting and if there’s a win, let it be a nice surprise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We originally booked a window on Icon for next year in November and I later decided to upgrade it to a balcony, so I took care of it on-line (preference). I had looked at the accessible suites at that time but the prices were too high for my blood. However, weeks later, I noticed that an accessible Surfside Family Suite (sky class) was available to book on-line but it would not let me snag it. So, I called RCI to ask about that suite's availability and was told that, yes, it was available for me to reserve it, so I did. Not sure why I could not book it myself on-line vs calling but very glad I snagged it! After reviewing several video tours of the Icon, especially the suite neighborhoods, we are very much looking forward to the suite experience on Icon!

So, if you see an available room you want on-line and cannot book it yourself, don't hesitate to give them a call to see if it's really available!

I just tried to withdraw my bid through modify, but I couldn't do it so I emailed the team. Let's hope someone doesn't just cancel my original resv. I don't have a cabin. Knowing my luck. 

Good luck all. Happy sailing.

1 hour ago, Justmekaren918 said:

I just tried to withdraw my bid through modify, but I couldn't do it so I emailed the team. Let's hope someone doesn't just cancel my original resv. I don't have a cabin. Knowing my luck. 

Good luck all. Happy sailing.

They will not touch your bid once it is locked in - and it looks like they accepted it....

10 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

They will not touch your bid once it is locked in - and it looks like they accepted it....

An IT issue locking the bid is more likely than winning the upgrade. Cancelling should be available at any time the status is "Submitted". It may not be cancelled if the status changes to "Pending".

20 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

An IT issue locking the bid is more likely than winning the upgrade. Cancelling should be available at any time the status is "Submitted". It may not be cancelled if the status changes to "Pending".

I ahve had the same issue when they were in the process of changing the status to submitted - which took a couple of hoaurs. Anyway you will not get ANY usable support on the bid process!