Live(ish) Millennium Japan 19th Aug review

villauk

57 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

Did the sightseeing in Tokyo a few years ago in July. As you head towards the Imperial Palace we had to cross a large open gravel courtyard. No shade, no seating…it was probably the hottest I have ever been. It felt like walking on the surface of the sun and seemed endless. I loved Tokyo but the heat and humidity was unbearable!

You describe it excellently. Basically, I was melting 🫠

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I think the JJ YouTube guys are on your cruise and posting regularly. Latest is embarkation. 

I’m a little behind. The internet connection is challenging to say the least 😂. I’m sure their review will be totally different from mine. One, I’m certainly not a professional blogger in any way, shape or form (just an everyday Mom with her pack) 😂, and secondly I’m travelling in a larger group which brings its own challenges. Initially, I was in two minds whether to start a review or not as @Lunastellahad just posted an excellent review of Millie. I decided to go ahead because of posting information for others who cruise in larger groups and I thought it may be useful. 

Hope they (JJs) are having as good a time as we are!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/19/2024 at 9:43 AM, villauk said:

The balloon was raised and tied on Friday because of the typhoon risk.

Although it may have the appearance of a balloon, it is actually it is a lantern, a giant lantern.  The kenji characters mean "Thunder Gate".

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, villauk said:

I’m a little behind. The internet connection is challenging to say the least 😂. I’m sure their review will be totally different from mine. One, I’m certainly not a professional blogger in any way, shape or form (just an everyday Mom with her pack) 😂, and secondly I’m travelling in a larger group which brings its own challenges. Initially, I was in two minds whether to start a review or not as @Lunastellahad just posted an excellent review of Millie. I decided to go ahead because of posting information for others who cruise in larger groups and I thought it may be useful. 

I have watched the video and so far it's more a general cruise line discussion and I'd really prefer to read a written version than the ones they are currently doing. They appear - a lot - in the videos 😂 rather than what they are seeing.   I was hoping the see the process of embarkation and any tips but - nothing!  I really only mentioned recent embarkation to check it was your cruise.  Not to hurry you up. 😳

I think I'm more in sync with the British style anyway. So I'm likely not to check in on them that much. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I have watched the video and so far it's more a general cruise line discussion and I'd really prefer to read a written version than the ones they are currently doing. They appear - a lot - in the videos 😂 rather than what they are seeing.   I was hoping the see the process of embarkation and any tips but - nothing!  I really only mentioned recent embarkation to check it was your cruise.  Not to hurry you up. 😳

I think I'm more in sync with the British style anyway. So I'm likely not to check in on them that much. 

Their videos are mostly about them, the cruise/ship they are on is just the "set" for their movies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Has anyone notice the following Japan airport scenario?

In airport arrival luggage area, you will see a designated person to ensure your luggage lands gently at the conveyor belt (with large rubber blocks to cushion the luggage), sometimes they neatly line up suitcases with handle facing outwards, make easier to retrieve own luggage.

While Japan gives extra services for free for every detail, in other country you have to pay tips for things that should be their job.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Liao said:

Their videos are mostly about them, the cruise/ship they are on is just the "set" for their movies.

I think that's a great summary. 😂

If you are waiting at any Cathay Pacific counter when they open up, together all the checkin staff walk around to the front of their desks, and bow to the people waiting in the queue. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hxhbk said:

Although it may have the appearance of a balloon, it is actually it is a lantern, a giant lantern.  The kenji characters mean "Thunder Gate".

Thank you for correcting me as I did miss some of our commentary; trying to hear sometimes is challenging when there are crowds of people.

1 hour ago, monkey@cruise said:

Has anyone notice the following Japan airport scenario?

In airport arrival luggage area, you will see a designated person to ensure your luggage lands gently at the conveyor belt (with large rubber blocks to cushion the luggage), sometimes they neatly line up suitcases with handle facing outwards, make easier to retrieve own luggage.

While Japan gives extra services for free for every detail, in other country you have to pay tips for things that should be their job.

When we arrived at the airport bus station, the attendant told us to line up on the footprints, behind the yellow line, and he took our cases and lined them up as you mention. It was all super efficient 👍.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

Not to hurry you up. 😳

No, I didn’t take it that way at all 😂. I’m not having the best of luck with the WiFi connection; perhaps it’s because we are far aft or it’s my age 🙃😂.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, villauk said:

No, I didn’t take it that way at all 😂. I’m not having the best of luck with the WiFi connection; perhaps it’s because we are far aft or it’s my age 🙃😂.

no, not your fault. 😁👍 The basic internet is terrible. That’s why a was really happy that I had my eSIM. Worked waaay better than the ship‘s network. And I really got to appreciate it on sea days when I had no cell connection and had to fight the ship‘s internet 😁

Edited by Miaminice

Tokyo Haneda (HND) Airport Terminal 3 International Arrivals Procedure:
1. Go through a mandatory health temperature check.
2. It certainly helps to complete either the Visit Japan Web or immigration/customs forms before arrival, otherwise you have to move aside to fill out the forms.
3. Reach an area where officials will scan your passport, take your fingerprints and your portrait.
4. Line up to clear immigration.
5. Go through customs, separate queue for VJW.

• Thanks 1

Embarkation Day

We decided to try Tully’s Coffee Shop for a light breakfast as we knew that we’d start eating after setting foot on Millie. The coffee was good and so were the pastries. While we were enjoying the cinnamon buns, two ship staff entered and ordered - we knew it nearing cruise time 🥳🥳🥳!

After a reconnaissance visit on day one in Yokohama of the port area, we knew that taxis weren’t needed. Now if you can’t pull your own luggage, you’re obviously going to struggle! If you stay at the Citadines, turn right through the entrance and walk to the bottom of the road, by the zebra crossing. Continue over the crossing and head left; turn directly right when you see the flat, open paving slabs (it’s far easier to take that route than going right, around the bend where the traffic sign sends you to the pier). Continue walking and you will see the pier in front of you - approximately 0.5km from the hotel to the port entrance. It took us 10 minutes, but my DH has long legs and long strides 😂. There is an incline as you approach the port entrance; it’s a section of decking and is probably the most strenuous part of the walk.

As you would expect, the terminal was highly organised! Luggage was dropped on the right side, inside the terminal if you had already printed your luggage labels. We were asked to sit and wait to be called, which happened within minutes. On through to the back security lines we went. Several staff were waiting with IPads to complete the check-in process and we were on board - yippee!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Tokyo Haneda (HND) Airport Terminal 3 International Arrivals Procedure:
1. Go through a mandatory health temperature check.
2. It certainly helps to complete either the Visit Japan Web or immigration/customs forms before arrival, otherwise you have to move aside to fill out the forms.
3. Reach an area where officials will scan your passport, take your fingerprints and your portrait.
4. Line up to clear immigration.
5. Go through customs, separate queue for VJW.

Yes, in a nutshell 👍!  Can I add that you will get people in the queue who haven’t completed the Visit Japan forms but don’t want to move aside either to complete the forms. We had several who were trying to complete them whilst being in the final line and the immigration supervisors were very firm in telling them to stop!

Can I also say a big thank you for sending me the link for the Himeji Castle guides when I was initially looking at tours. I followed your instructions and we had an absolutely brilliant day today (more of that to follow 😉).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We dropped off our carry-on bags in our room, collected our seapass cards and headed up to the Ocenview. Now, I have to be honest and say I’m not a big fan of buffets and Millie perfectly confirmed why. My DF was attempting to put sauce on her food after a server passed over her plate. The next minute, she found something hot running down her arm. A lady had pushed forward and decided she wasn’t going to wait 🤦‍♀️. I do wonder what possesses some pax on boarding day 😲

I’ll post some photos of our cabins in my next post, but a few comparisons since we were last on Millie: The shower screens are an improvement. The decor is pleasant, however, not practical in that there is less storage space. The coat hooks have disappeared too. Under  our balcony door is green mould. Some of the ‘uplifting looks like it was completed in a rush (grout all uneven etc). Don’t get me wrong, we like our cabin and huge SV  balcony, but the finesse just isn’t there.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, villauk said:

Embarkation Day

We decided to try Tully’s Coffee Shop for a light breakfast as we knew that we’d start eating after setting foot on Millie. The coffee was good and so were the pastries. While we were enjoying the cinnamon buns, two ship staff entered and ordered - we knew it nearing cruise time 🥳🥳🥳!

After a reconnaissance visit on day one in Yokohama of the port area, we knew that taxis weren’t needed. Now if you can’t pull your own luggage, you’re obviously going to struggle! If you stay at the Citadines, turn right through the entrance and walk to the bottom of the road, by the zebra crossing. Continue over the crossing and head left; turn directly right when you see the flat, open paving slabs (it’s far easier to take that route than going right, around the bend where the traffic sign sends you to the pier). Continue walking and you will see the pier in front of you - approximately 0.5km from the hotel to the port entrance. It took us 10 minutes, but my DH has long legs and long strides 😂. There is an incline as you approach the port entrance; it’s a section of decking and is probably the most strenuous part of the walk.

As you would expect, the terminal was highly organised! Luggage was dropped on the right side, inside the terminal if you had already printed your luggage labels. We were asked to sit and wait to be called, which happened within minutes. On through to the back security lines we went. Several staff were waiting with IPads to complete the check-in process and we were on board - yippee!

Sorry, I should have told you: Before the crosswalk, go to the right, there is a ground level walkway to the parking area (1F), take elevator up. Less strenuous.

image.png.6726006f8f3b3adff3b2b0cb73ff3509.png

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, villauk said:

Yes, in a nutshell 👍!  Can I add that you will get people in the queue who haven’t completed the Visit Japan forms but don’t want to move aside either to complete the forms. We had several who were trying to complete them whilst being in the final line and the immigration supervisors were very firm in telling them to stop!

Can I also say a big thank you for sending me the link for the Himeji Castle guides when I was initially looking at tours. I followed your instructions and we had an absolutely brilliant day today (more of that to follow 😉).

That's what cruise critic forum for - sharing travel information. Himeji castle entrance fee will increase 2-4 times next year. The only Japan castle which is built with concrete, air conditioning, elevators, stairs with hand rails (upgrading to escalators) -- Osaka Castle. 

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, villauk said:

Enjoying your review.. take your time! We prefer genuine  reviews from Cruise Critic Community members.. as compared to U tube  videos..just not the same.. too slick!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Enjoying your review.. take your time! We prefer genuine  reviews from Cruise Critic Community members.. as compared to U tube  videos..just not the same.. too slick!

Some are excellent but, ummm, I'm real happy with the current batch of Cruise Critic reviews which have been so helpful. More my style. My trip it planner is full of tips and screenshots from the various ones. 😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pushka said:

My trip it planner is full of tips and screenshots from the various ones. 😂

Can you tell me how you organize these suggestions? I get info overload but then can’t always remember or find when needed. (Hey, this might be a good CC topic to post!)

6 hours ago, kluv2cruz said:

Can you tell me how you organize these suggestions? I get info overload but then can’t always remember or find when needed. (Hey, this might be a good CC topic to post!)

I use the app called TripIt. It's also available via website. It allows you to forward on any travel bookings (flights, cruises, hotel bookings) to their email address, it then creates your dedicated Trip Plan with all the dates, addresses, ports stops with actual times at port, confirmation details etc pre populated. You can then click on that event and add further details like maps etc to correspond to that day. It also sends alerts for flight delays etc.  You can share the plan with others so they can either just look, or they can get edit privileges too. It costs $79aud a year and have used it since 2019. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, hcat said:

Thank you. It’s good to know that others like the ‘genuine deal’.

We have 4 cabins on this sailing: 2 SVs and 2 insides opposite. It’s an ideal set-up for our families. When the children were younger, we used to sail in the FVs on M class ships - the balconies were even larger than the one we have this time. In fact, the last SV we sailed on was Concierge class back then. How things change, or more to the point, unfortunately X realised they could make money from the aft cabins.

image.thumb.png.056ad1ed32768a5a97722cb37917eb7a.png

The view from our balcony

image.thumb.png.777157ad44365696493046f5775b3dd3.png

Our balcony - notice the two loungers! We also have two chairs and a table. The state of the awnings above leave a lot to be desired.

image.thumb.png.84fd7224b9e5ca9deb6e40b7767b7321.png

The dreaded shower curtain has gone 🥳.

image.thumb.png.e581c96bda11debf2f4c49b069093da2.png

• Like 7

After our Oceanview experience, we went back to our cabin and lo and behold our cases were already waiting for us! This is where we noticed the difference in storage: there appears to be lots of wasted space by the glass cupboards. It’s definitely more modern, but unsure if I actually prefer the layout.

We went to register for the muster drill in the Rendezvous Lounge. Strange set-up as one guy was taking the cabin numbers to mark off, while another was showing people how to fit the life jackets one-by-one 😬

On entering our cabin, we found a bottle of white wine. I keep meaning to ask our steward if it’s complimentary or is part of the mini bar and chargeable 🤷‍♀️

By the time we’d had a drink, it was time to prepare for our first dinner. I pre-book a table for 6:45pm every evening; it’s always worked well and ensures me of a table for the whole group.

Dinner was fine. We were seated pretty quickly and the service continued in that way. I’m not going to post pictures of the menus as I know others have recently and they aren’t any different. My friend’s DH did comment that he thought the offerings had reduced over the years, and everything comes with mash 😲. My DH mentioned how many people were wearing shorts and I replied that it was the first night and permitted. He cares more about than I do, but I’ll update when it’s Chic Night. 

We didn’t bother with the theatre on the first night - Cover Girls. In fact, we were exhausted and after visiting Cafe Al Bacio, we decided to head off to bed. We were treated with a spectacular light show:

image.thumb.png.3e871ca232b987798316d70c292b1306.png

Our balcony door also howls, or should I say that the wind does each evening. Can’t say that I’ve ever noticed it before on an after cabin.

We were going to take it easy tomorrow as it was our first sea day!

• Like 5