CELL PHONES ON SHIP

CRUISEWITHH

I've been on a lot of cruises and know that the cruiseline want's to sell you Medallion Net for $24.99 per day if you do not have the Plus or Premier package.

My sister called her service T-Mobile and they said she can get in coming calls and date for free and just have to pay for outgoing calls WHILE ON BOARD THE SHIP.

Can anyone confirm this?   I have heard of people who thought they could get service. since they had satellite service,  and came home to a homongous phone bill.

16 minutes ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

I've been on a lot of cruises and know that the cruiseline want's to sell you Medallion Net for $24.99 per day if you do not have the Plus or Premier package.

My sister called her service T-Mobile and they said she can get in coming calls and date for free and just have to pay for outgoing calls WHILE ON BOARD THE SHIP.

Can anyone confirm this?   I have heard of people who thought they could get service. since they had satellite service,  and came home to a homongous phone bill.

You can get and make calls   However check your plan about roaming charges. I once had to do a job interview while sailing and my international plan need as we pulled out of Naples and charges did show up. This was on AT&T. I would question your provider hard to believe you wouldn’t need some kind of special plan

Posted (edited)

I would definitely confirm this in writing with T-Mobile.  You would somehow HAVE to connect to a cell tower for phone calls (in/out) and/or data.  The ship will happily provide you with THEIR cell tower connectivity (separate from INTERnet/$24.99).  

I think it is under cellular at sea.  

You might be able to text and/or make a phone call through the WhatsAPP that is provided to crew for free.  I have the app but have not tried it without an internet plan.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1

That may be a T-Mobile specific plan. You'll want to verify this at least two different ways before you commit. My own carrier, AT&T does not offer this.

That said, if you have WiFi calling on your phone and have paid for ship's WiFi/Internet, you can receive and make calls all you want while on board. You also effectively get data. Just make sure you place your phone in airplane mode but leave WiFi on.

• Like 1

Having T-Mobile myself, I know my plan would not cover it, nor would I chance it. But the closest I could find on the website was this.

Unlimited international texting from home

Stay in touch with friends and family around the world from here at home. This feature allows you to send and receive unlimited text messages to any country in the world where texting is available (except St. Helena and Wallis and Futuna).

I keep my phone in airplane mode and can then use wifi calling and texting.

• Like 1

Maybe T Mobile has something new, but I suspect wifi is needed to make or receive calls or texts.   I hope I'm wrong but suggest you keep your phone in airplane mode while at sea.     

As already shared, if you have wifi, you can use WhatsApp.  The downside is you need to make sure those you want to call or chat with have downloaded the app.  Alternatively, again if you have wifi, you can use wifi calling, which I believe is including in T Mobile.   

• Like 3

I'd say BS. I have a cell phone with Tmobile and whenever I forget to switch back to airplane mode after a port, I always get messages warning me that cruise ship data is not included.

• Like 1

I am from Canada with Virgin mobile. I do NOT put it in airplane mode, but instead turn my data off.

I can get INcoming texts while at sea for ZERO cost. Each time I SEND a text from sea...it costs 99 cents per text.

Any calls, whether incoming (should I answer it) or outgoing charges per minute (2.99 per minute iirc).

I will not use any data while at sea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

As already shared, if you have wifi, you can use WhatsApp.  The downside is you need to make sure those you want to call or chat with have downloaded the app.  Alternatively, again if you have wifi, you can use wifi calling, which I believe is including in T Mobile.  

I have used WhatsApp on the ship, but always had the internet service.  I have talked with the crew and they say that many DO have INTRAnet wifi (but not INTERnet connectivity).  It is way too expensive for them.  With Princess internal INTRAnet, they are able to communicate with family daily via WhatsApp.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

This took some research because T-Mobile makes it confusing. Here is the definitive answer to your question.

T-Mobile has a section on their website about Cruises here: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/international-roaming-checklist#heading3

Currently, these are the tips to avoid higher charges:

• We recommend that you turn off roaming while the ship is docked in a U.S. port. Otherwise, your phone may pick up the ship's network and you'll be charged cruise ship roaming charges for any usage. Once you're out to sea, you can then turn roaming back on and pay the respective usage for data, text, and voice.
  • Calls placed over Wi-Fi to non-U.S. numbers are subject to the cruise ship rate. 
  • Calls placed while the cruise ship is at port can still connect the ship’s network and are subject to the cruise ship rates. 
  • Cruise ships are not covered by international data passes. 

Now, with all this in mind, if you go to their International Roaming Page for Cruises (https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/international-roaming-plans/cruises) and plug in your cruise line and ship name, I used the Sky Princess as an example, you get this information:

image.thumb.png.3315205c3c321ff75810c40c1af11fea.png

This means that customers on T-Mobile ONE and Simple Choice plans get the following using the CELLULAR AT SEA, meaning their cellular radio in their phone is roaming on the ship's cellular network not WiFi.

• No data included.
  • They can receive text messages, but if they have an allotment of monthly text messages, each message would (naturally) be deducted from that allotment; if they have unlimited SMS, then no deduction, and still zero cost to receive that text.
  • If you do not have a texting plan, you will be charged 20 cents for each text received.
  • To send a text is 50 cents per text.
  • And you can make and receive phone calls for $5.99 per minute, which is high due to it being a satellite call. It sounds like the T-Mobile rep gave your Sister possibly inaccurate information about receiving calls for free while at sea - though, she may have some special plan that lets her do that, I couldn't say.

T-Mobile also gives customers on the plans mentioned above unlimited texting and data at 2G speeds in around 140 countries.

All of the above is for people on post paid, if you have prepaid, then things are different and you need to review the T-Mobile international prepaid rates page here: https://www.t-mobile.com/pdfs/IntlCallingRates

Also, a note from myself, this could all change tomorrow if they change the text on their website, which makes the information in this post out of date, so if you are a person that has come across this post 5 months in the future, definitely use the links I posted to confirm the information before betting on it and then coming home to a $20k cell phone bill. 😉

Hope this helps!

Edited by AlpacaBag
  • Thanks 3

I have TMobile and if I forgot to put my phone in airplane mode when I got on the ship I got a text from TMobile telling me that I would incur charges if I used my phone. It was nice that they warned us before we racked up charges.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2024 at 6:05 PM, travelloverontario said:

I do NOT put it in airplane mode, but instead turn my data off.

That's all you need to do. 

The only difference between turning on Airplane Mode and then turning wifi and Bluetooth back on vs turning off data only is that Airplane Mode also turns off NFC -- that stuff that lets you tap to pay (Apple Pay & Google Pay, for example).

On 8/22/2024 at 11:07 AM, AlpacaBag said:

This took some research because T-Mobile makes it confusing. Here is the definitive answer to your question.

T-Mobile has a section on their website about Cruises here: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/international-roaming-checklist#heading3

Currently, these are the tips to avoid higher charges:

• We recommend that you turn off roaming while the ship is docked in a U.S. port. Otherwise, your phone may pick up the ship's network and you'll be charged cruise ship roaming charges for any usage. Once you're out to sea, you can then turn roaming back on and pay the respective usage for data, text, and voice.
  • Calls placed over Wi-Fi to non-U.S. numbers are subject to the cruise ship rate. 
  • Calls placed while the cruise ship is at port can still connect the ship’s network and are subject to the cruise ship rates. 
  • Cruise ships are not covered by international data passes. 

Now, with all this in mind, if you go to their International Roaming Page for Cruises (https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/international-roaming-plans/cruises) and plug in your cruise line and ship name, I used the Sky Princess as an example, you get this information:

image.thumb.png.3315205c3c321ff75810c40c1af11fea.png

This means that customers on T-Mobile ONE and Simple Choice plans get the following using the CELLULAR AT SEA, meaning their cellular radio in their phone is roaming on the ship's cellular network not WiFi.

• No data included.
  • They can receive text messages, but if they have an allotment of monthly text messages, each message would (naturally) be deducted from that allotment; if they have unlimited SMS, then no deduction, and still zero cost to receive that text.
  • If you do not have a texting plan, you will be charged 20 cents for each text received.
  • To send a text is 50 cents per text.
  • And you can make and receive phone calls for $5.99 per minute, which is high due to it being a satellite call. It sounds like the T-Mobile rep gave your Sister possibly inaccurate information about receiving calls for free while at sea - though, she may have some special plan that lets her do that, I couldn't say.

T-Mobile also gives customers on the plans mentioned above unlimited texting and data at 2G speeds in around 140 countries.

All of the above is for people on post paid, if you have prepaid, then things are different and you need to review the T-Mobile international prepaid rates page here: https://www.t-mobile.com/pdfs/IntlCallingRates

Also, a note from myself, this could all change tomorrow if they change the text on their website, which makes the information in this post out of date, so if you are a person that has come across this post 5 months in the future, definitely use the links I posted to confirm the information before betting on it and then coming home to a $20k cell phone bill. 😉

Hope this helps!

Now I am confused. 

I think I'll leave it in airplane mode and not use it for calls anyway. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 6:02 PM, MacMadame said:

That's all you need to do. 

The only difference between turning on Airplane Mode and then turning wifi and Bluetooth back on vs turning off data only is that Airplane Mode also turns off NFC -- that stuff that lets you tap to pay (Apple Pay & Google Pay, for example).

Why would you use tap to pay while on shop. I leave airplane mode on and then turn it off in port since medallion net won’t work off the ship anyway

1 minute ago, memoak said:

Why would you use tap to pay while on shop. I leave airplane mode on and then turn it off in port since medallion net won’t work off the ship anyway

Maybe someone wants to buy their SO a gift from a shop and use a diff CC than the one on the ship folio to keep the purchase a surprise. 🙂

5 hours ago, 555 said:

Now I am confused. 

I think I'll leave it in airplane mode and not use it for calls anyway. 

I apologize if I confused you. Could you tell me what part(s) confuse you and I would be happy to explain it differently so that it makes sense. I know T-Mobile's policies are complex. 😛

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AlpacaBag said:

Maybe someone wants to buy their SO a gift from a shop and use a diff CC than the one on the ship folio to keep the purchase a surprise. 🙂

I have never seen any sign that Princess accepts things like Apple Pay   Have you done that ?

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have never seen any sign that Princess accepts things like Apple Pay   Have you done that ?

No. I was just hazarding a guess. Haven't sailed since 2015.

1 minute ago, AlpacaBag said:

No. I was just hazarding a guess. Haven't sailed since 2015.

Since Princess doesn’t allow you to use cash or credit cards I don’t think that is an option 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, memoak said:

I'm just describing the technology. Not making a recommendation. 😄 

Though NFC is also used for that feature where you hold your phone up to another phone and it exchanges contact cards. Not that I've ever actually done that. But we could if not in Airplane Mode. 😉 

For me, turning off data is one step. Turning on Airplane Mode and then turning wifi and Bluetooth back on is three steps. I'm too lazy for that!

1 minute ago, MacMadame said:

I'm just describing the technology. Not making a recommendation. 😄 

Though NFC is also used for that feature where you hold your phone up to another phone and it exchanges contact cards. Not that I've ever actually done that. But we could if not in Airplane Mode. 😉 

For me, turning off data is one step. Turning on Airplane Mode and then turning wifi and Bluetooth back on is three steps. I'm too lazy for that!

My Bluetooth stays on while in airplane made or not. All audio and alerts go to my hearing aids. For a couple of ports in a 2 week cruise I don’t find it an issue any more than connecting to a restaurants WiFi when we are out to lunch. I know we agree on most things about cruising but have to disagree here. Are you on board sometime soon

34 minutes ago, AlpacaBag said:

I apologize if I confused you. Could you tell me what part(s) confuse you and I would be happy to explain it differently so that it makes sense. I know T-Mobile's policies are complex. 😛

No problem. I have T Mobile also & just keep it on airplane mode. I never call anyone from the ship anyway. 

There's no emergency so extreme that I would make me leave the ship early. 

2 minutes ago, 555 said:

No problem. I have T Mobile also & just keep it on airplane mode. I never call anyone from the ship anyway. 

There's no emergency so extreme that I would make me leave the ship early. 

If people want to get in touch all our friends and family know to email us

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1