14 night cruise during Christmas and New Years questions.

rcprncss

I am looking at a Caribbean cruise that leaves a few days before Christmas.  It's 14 nights round trip (not two 7days).  If you have been on this type of cruise, are there a lot of kids? I think the chances of having less kids on a small ship and 14 nights is good.  Just curious to hear from others who have done this.  Thank you. 

1 hour ago, DUCHESSRN said:

My only experience has been on 15 day Hawaii cruises over Christmas and New Year , there was a surprizing amount of kids .

Thank you.  I was afraid of that. What ship were you on?
We were on Emerald 16 day in June 2023.  We were surprised how many kids were on this cruise. We are used to less kids on 2 week cruises. 
It definitely wasn't as many kids as the 7 day Thanksgiving week cruise we went on last year.

Did a Panama Canal cruise on Pacific Princess (back in the day) over Xmas and NYE. There were maybe 20 kids (which is a lot for that ship). There wasn't a dedicated Kids space on the Pacific, but the staff used a little used "card" room and kept the kids busy with crafts and organized activities. We hardly noticed they were on the ship except when they went on a walk about.

• Like 1

I guess you are speaking about the Island Princess sailing December 22, 2024 from Ft. Lauderdale. While the Island Princess probably will not have as many children as one of the other larger classes of ships, I would still expect to see more than I would like to see. The Island is smaller and does not have as many locations for youth to hang out. There is only the two pools, one inside, one outside on the Lido deck. 

Posted (edited)

I think the answer to how many children you will have onboard between Christmas and New Year’s is …..maybe potentially a lot. Being a straight 14 day itinerary not able to be booked as two 7 days might obviously curtail those children and families because they have to be back to school right after the New Year, usually but of course it depends on when the classes start back up again. ( maybe January 6, 2025 ?)

But with that being said ….elementary and on up children & families of educators with children, etc. are all over the place nowadays with school vacation schedules.
Lots of home schooled children in the USA ,lots of school districts that have three weeks off  & nine weeks on, etc. College age young adults that travel with their families and smaller age siblings depending on when classes start back up.

Probably almost impossible to know ahead of time how many children will be onboard any particular ship. But definitely Christmas- New Year’s is a prime time for family travel no matter on a ship or land. 

I do not have experience with travel during that time of year, recently any way.

Edited by arizonaperson

You can expect kids.  Princess has been very good with their kids' clubs, though.  Most of the children will be out of sight.  One think I like about holiday cruising is the decoration on the ship.  They go all out, and it's beautiful.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Did a Panama Canal cruise on Pacific Princess (back in the day) over Xmas and NYE. There were maybe 20 kids (which is a lot for that ship). There wasn't a dedicated Kids space on the Pacific, but the staff used a little used "card" room and kept the kids busy with crafts and organized activities. We hardly noticed they were on the ship except when they went on a walk about.

Thank you for sharing.

6 hours ago, skynight said:

I guess you are speaking about the Island Princess sailing December 22, 2024 from Ft. Lauderdale. While the Island Princess probably will not have as many children as one of the other larger classes of ships, I would still expect to see more than I would like to see. The Island is smaller and does not have as many locations for youth to hang out. There is only the two pools, one inside, one outside on the Lido deck. 

Thank you.  I was actually looking at the Coral for 2025 but just looked up the Island and it's the exact same thing but this year.  Since the ship is so small, I would think less kids will be on it.  On Regal last year during Thanksgiving week, there were 800 kids!  At least I know there won't be that many with a ship that holds 2000 passengers.  
But you are probably right, there will be more than I want or expect.  20 or so wouldn't be bad!

5 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

I think the answer to how many children you will have onboard between Christmas and New Year’s is …..maybe potentially a lot. Being a straight 14 day itinerary not able to be booked as two 7 days might obviously curtail those children and families because they have to be back to school right after the New Year, usually but of course it depends on when the classes start back up again. ( maybe January 6, 2025 ?)

But with that being said ….elementary and on up children & families of educators with children, etc. are all over the place nowadays with school vacation schedules.
Lots of home schooled children in the USA ,lots of school districts that have three weeks off  & nine weeks on, etc. College age young adults that travel with their families and smaller age siblings depending on when classes start back up.

Probably almost impossible to know ahead of time how many children will be onboard any particular ship. But definitely Christmas- New Year’s is a prime time for family travel no matter on a ship or land. 

I do not have experience with travel during that time of year, recently any way.

Thank you.  You made a lot of good points. Back when I was in school, it was traditional with two weeks off at Christmas.  You are right - now some schools have a longer time off.  And the home schooling is more common now also. Thank you for pointing this out. 🙂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

You can expect kids.  Princess has been very good with their kids' clubs, though.  Most of the children will be out of sight.  One think I like about holiday cruising is the decoration on the ship.  They go all out, and it's beautiful.

I experienced the holiday decorations last year on a ship and loved it. We always said one day we want to take a Chirstmas and New Years cruise. I figured there would be less kids to pick a 14 day cruise that covers both rather than doing each week separately.  Thank you!

Well, I would say to the OP/author if you really want to cruise during that time you should.
I don’t honestly think there is any way to find out before final payment how many kids/ children or extended families traveling together ….will be on any particular cruise.
If children bother you that much then ,obviously I wouldn’t book it at all ,but to miss out on a vacation/ cruise  because it fits your schedule and you would enjoy the holiday decorations, etc. etc. you should just go for it.

Life is short .

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, rcprncss said:

Thank you.  I was actually looking at the Coral for 2025 but just looked up the Island and it's the exact same thing but this year.  Since the ship is so small, I would think less kids will be on it.  On Regal last year during Thanksgiving week, there were 800 kids!  At least I know there won't be that many with a ship that holds 2000 passengers.  
But you are probably right, there will be more than I want or expect.  20 or so wouldn't be bad!

The Coral has more passenger public space then the Island. The Coral has the Universe Lounge, 360 degree promenade, small International Cafe, and has a small Sanctuary Pool. The two ships were identical when built, but the Island had major renovations which removed the Universe Lounge as well as other areas aft to add cabins. 

We did a two week cruise over Xmas & NYE last year through the Panama Canal.  There were a good number of kids and teens who all seemed to be having a great time, but didn't bother us at all.  Easy enough to avoid.  Every once is awhile there'd be a pack sitting on the stairs in an area or hanging together at the back of a lounge.  Not an issue.

We often did 14 day round trip cruises from LA to Hawaii with our kids over the holidays when they were young. There were lots and lots of kids. I think one year it was around 800. Most schools give at least two weeks off and we had no problem taking our kids out or sending them back a day or two late if needed. There’s not much learning going on in the days leading up to Christmas vacation or the first couple of days back. I would imagine a Caribbean cruise would attract a lot of families. 

12 hours ago, Kerry's Girls said:

We did a two week cruise over Xmas & NYE last year through the Panama Canal.  There were a good number of kids and teens who all seemed to be having a great time, but didn't bother us at all.  Easy enough to avoid.  Every once is awhile there'd be a pack sitting on the stairs in an area or hanging together at the back of a lounge.  Not an issue.

Thank you.

11 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

We often did 14 day round trip cruises from LA to Hawaii with our kids over the holidays when they were young. There were lots and lots of kids. I think one year it was around 800. Most schools give at least two weeks off and we had no problem taking our kids out or sending them back a day or two late if needed. There’s not much learning going on in the days leading up to Christmas vacation or the first couple of days back. I would imagine a Caribbean cruise would attract a lot of families. 

Thank you.

Did a 14day cruise last year.

Things to note.

The ship was at maximum capacity with 3 and 4 in many cabins.

There were approximately 400 children (1-12 years) and 400 teens!  The teens seemed to roam about in groups of 10+ texting and generally oblivious of others.

With so many on board, tendering took 3 hours and the wait and cabin staff were buried.  The only way for a quiet dinner was after 8pm.  Early dining was packed with families.

Would consider if I had grandchildren under 20 or multigenerations traveling.   For just my DW and self no thank you.

I had a different experience - 15 days on Emerald Princess, Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles.  Some children, teens and young adults.  They were all fine... at least as good as the other passengers.

Probably because this was a Panama Canal transit with more pre or post air travel required, it attracted a somewhat different type of crowd.

3 hours ago, budfred09 said:

We were on the Island Princess last year for Christmas and New Years had a great time. 

Do you know how many kids were on the ship?  How long was the cruise?

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I had a different experience - 15 days on Emerald Princess, Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles.  Some children, teens and young adults.  They were all fine... at least as good as the other passengers.

Probably because this was a Panama Canal transit with more pre or post air travel required, it attracted a somewhat different type of crowd.

I have been on two Panama Canal cruises and there are hardly any kids on the ship.  One was 19 nights and the other 17 nights.  

1 hour ago, rcprncss said:

Do you know how many kids were on the ship?  How long was the cruise?

The kids on board were not bad at all I think you are fine if you book a 14 day are longer cruise  the kid's are off the week of Christmas but the cruse goes into the New Year they dont take the kids out of school in January I would not t let this stop you from going it was a great time never felt crowed at all.

24 minutes ago, budfred09 said:

The kids on board were not bad at all I think you are fine if you book a 14 day are longer cruise  the kid's are off the week of Christmas but the cruse goes into the New Year they dont take the kids out of school in January I would not t let this stop you from going it was a great time never felt crowed at all.

Thanks.

I did book the cruise. I guess I will find out. The cruise isn't until next year, 2025/2026.

• Like 1