Annoyed with boombox passengers

On 8/24/2024 at 5:24 AM, pcur said:

I take 2 pairs of noise-cancelling ear buds with me whenever I travel, connect the bluetooth to my phone, and listen to my own music wherever I am on a ship, in an airport, or on an airplane. I take two pair because going from West Coast to East Coast can sometimes be a 12 hour day, so recharging is needed.

To me this is path of least resistance, and I don't have to give up what I'm doing, either.

Amazon's fit my ears better, but Beats are also good.

I had to do this also on our cruise to Norway. Not for a boombox just drunken party goers  in the solarium. There was just a big group of 20 or so not young either mid to late 40s but they liked to start drinking after breakfast. 

35 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

In my hood, it was called Ghetto Blaster.

I forgot that name.  

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

You never went back to Epcot, Disney World, or the French restaurant?

Does anyone really care whether other people went back to Disney, Epcot or that restaurant? 

20 minutes ago, sherrjo said:

I had to do this also on our cruise to Norway. Not for a boombox just drunken party goers  in the solarium. There was just a big group of 20 or so not young either mid to late 40s but they liked to start drinking after breakfast. 

To be fair, people don't have to be drunk to be loud.

On 8/23/2024 at 11:24 PM, pcur said:

I take 2 pairs of noise-cancelling ear buds with me whenever I travel, connect the bluetooth to my phone, and listen to my own music wherever I am on a ship, in an airport, or on an airplane. I take two pair because going from West Coast to East Coast can sometimes be a 12 hour day, so recharging is needed.

To me this is path of least resistance, and I don't have to give up what I'm doing, either.

Amazon's fit my ears better, but Beats are also good.

I almost never use the noise cancelling feature on my buds. They work a little too well and I feel cut off from the world. I'm always concerned that I'll miss something that I want to hear.

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Does anyone really care whether other people went back to Disney, Epcot or that restaurant? 

I do, I asked because I was curious. 

22 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

The French place…..it was too expensive anyway.  We don’t eat at Disney places often and this was years ago. Currently we are Disney AP but considering not renewing this year. 

From what I have read about the park changes for lines etc over and above prices, I understand where you are coming from.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

@Cruise5life and @S.A.M.J.R., I now understand that even the most basic subtleties of the English language are completely lost on you.

The Royal Caribbean Blog states: "Shorts are not permitted in the main dining room for dinner for any of the dress codes on Royal Caribbean cruises, other than breakfast or lunch meals."  It goes on to say for Casual Dress that shorts are permitted for Breakfast and Lunch.

Under the FAQ for Dress Code: Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch.

Do you understand that when it states: "Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch", it actually means that they are not allowed for dinner?

Does the headwaiter chastise you for wearing your shorts and tees?  No, it's not his role.  Your waiter, server and headwaiter are concerned with doing their job and avoiding negative surveys from self-entitled passengers. 

This stuff is all pretty easy to understand.

Again, my point was that some people complain about all kinds of stuff (smoke, noise) but don't hold themselves accountable for the things that they themselves don't follow (e.g., dress code).

The fact that there are many of you who continually reply indicating that they will wear what they want and don't care is just evidence of a group of obtuse, self-entitled people from the North America.

We don't agree on this, and I'm okay.  Best wishes!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Airbear232 said:

@Cruise5life and @S.A.M.J.R., I now understand that even the most basic subtleties of the English language are completely lost on you.

The Royal Caribbean Blog states: "Shorts are not permitted in the main dining room for dinner for any of the dress codes on Royal Caribbean cruises, other than breakfast or lunch meals."  It goes on to say for Casual Dress that shorts are permitted for Breakfast and Lunch.

Under the FAQ for Dress Code: Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch.

Do you understand that when it states: "Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch", it actually means that they are not allowed for dinner?

Does the headwaiter chastise you for wearing your shorts and tees?  No, it's not his role.  Your waiter, server and headwaiter are concerned with doing their job and avoiding negative surveys from self-entitled passengers. 

This stuff is all pretty easy to understand.

Again, my point was that some people complain about all kinds of stuff (smoke, noise) but don't hold themselves accountable for the things that they themselves don't follow (e.g., dress code).

The fact that there are many of you who continually reply indicating that they will wear what they want and don't care is just evidence of a group of obtuse, self-entitled people from the North America.

With all due respect, "Shorts are welcome for Breakfast and Lunch" does NOT mean "Shorts are not allowed at dinner."  One might infer that, but that doesn't mean it's accurate.  

Second, since you're all about the words, this is from royalcaribbeanblog's "about us" page...

Please note: Royal Caribbean Blog does not claim to represent Royal Caribbean International in any way and is not employed by or affiliated with Royal Caribbean International.

Therefore, NOTHING they post about Royal is "official". 

Third, you can't explain, other than some imaginary "rule" or "policy", what dress is required in the MDR.

Fourth, I've never worn shorts or a t-shirt to dinner in the MDR.  But I also know that what other people wear doesn't affect my dining in even the slightest bit.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

@Cruise5life and @S.A.M.J.R., I now understand that even the most basic subtleties of the English language are completely lost on you.   Seems it’s lost on you.    

this is written by a blogger.  Not RC.   

Do you understand that when it states: "Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch", it actually means that they are not allowed for dinner?  If they took the time to put breakfast and lunch then why not dinner?     Because it’s not prohibited.  

Does the headwaiter chastise you for wearing your shorts and tees?  No, it's not his role.  Your waiter, server and headwaiter are concerned with doing their job and avoiding negative surveys from self-entitled passengers.   I’ve talked to head waiters about the shorts on many ships. And they all say they are fine and never a problem.   

This stuff is all pretty easy to understand.  Yup. But yet you still don’t understand it. 

The fact that there are many of you who continually reply indicating that they will wear what they want and don't care is just evidence of a group of obtuse, self-entitled people from the North America. LOL 

i was just on a European cruise out of Italy and there were tons of Italians and Brit’s in shorts.   So this is a kinda funny statement.   

if you were ok with it we you wouldn’t have posted this     

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

From what I have read about the park changes for lines etc over and above prices, I understand where you are coming from.

Yes, even putting money aside, Disney's become so complicated -- reservations for specific days, reservations for rides changing constantly -- and, if you don't do all these things, you essentially ride nothing.  Just visit gift shops.  

45 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

With all due respect, "Shorts are welcome for Breakfast and Lunch" does NOT mean "Shorts are not allowed at dinner."  One might infer that, but that doesn't mean it's accurate.  

Well, yes, that IS what it means -- it's worded politely /emphasizes what IS allowed rather than what's not allowed.  Anyone arguing otherwise sounds like a teen trying to "put one over" on his teachers or parents.  

What we don't know is whether this Royal Caribbean Blog is the official one or the same-name unofficial blog.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Relive the 80's spirit and experience. Everyone should carry a boom box on his/her shoulder for the 80's theme night party on Lido.

Now if I could find my transistor radio from the 60s. 

26 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, even putting money aside, Disney's become so complicated -- reservations for specific days, reservations for rides changing constantly -- and, if you don't do all these things, you essentially ride nothing.  Just visit gift shops.  

Well, yes, that IS what it means -- it's worded politely /emphasizes what IS allowed rather than what's not allowed.  Anyone arguing otherwise sounds like a teen trying to "put one over" on his teachers or parents.  

What we don't know is whether this Royal Caribbean Blog is the official one or the same-name unofficial blog.  

If it doesn’t state that shorts are not allowed.  Then they are.    
if they took the time to mention what’s not allowed like bare feet and tank tops, Why not add shorts??????

everything suggested. Not required.  Or you have the option to.   Not required to.    

and any RC Blog isnt run by RC.   It’s a private citizen.    And that means nothing.  

IMG_0126.jpeg

Edited by Cruise5life

34 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I disagree

34 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Again, I disagree.  I even posted the text from their website above. 

On 8/23/2024 at 9:08 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

@gavvy post reminded me of our experience last week on the Amtrak Auto Train that was coming down to Florida.  We saw when we looked online to upgrade, that it was 100% full, which is odd for August.  Then in the station we noticed that the great majority of people coming in were a parent with a college aged kid….. so we thought oh no, it’s going to be a loud overnight trip.  Quite the contrary, quietest trip we’ve ever had! They all used ear buds 😁 I would say more than 75% of guests on the train were kids going to school and mom taking them down.

We take the AT regularly and will again on Oct 31. The reason the AT is so quiet is because Amtrak doesn't hesitate to kick people off.  Basically if you ignore the rules, they can stop the train and tell you to find your way to the station you're heading towards to pick up your car.  

I shouldn't have to listen to what someone else wants to listen to.  The entitlement has gotten so out of hand.  We have never seen a boombox but have had people watching videos on their phones with the volume turned up.  What makes them think we all want to listen to it?  It's what earbuds/headphones were made for.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BND said:

I shouldn't have to listen to what someone else wants to listen to.  The entitlement has gotten so out of hand.  We have never seen a boombox but have had people watching videos on their phones with the volume turned up.  What makes them think we all want to listen to it?  It's what earbuds/headphones were made for.  

The best is when a person makes a cell phone call, then tells the other people to be quiet.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

With all due respect, "Shorts are welcome for Breakfast and Lunch" does NOT mean "Shorts are not allowed at dinner."  One might infer that, but that doesn't mean it's accurate.  Actually, it does just that.   

Second, since you're all about the words, this is from royalcaribbeanblog's "about us" page...

Please note: Royal Caribbean Blog does not claim to represent Royal Caribbean International in any way and is not employed by or affiliated with Royal Caribbean International.

Therefore, NOTHING they post about Royal is "official". 

Read the following: What is the dress code onboard all ships? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Third, you can't explain, other than some imaginary "rule" or "policy", what dress is required in the MDR.

Again, read the following: What is the dress code onboard all ships? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Fourth, I've never worn shorts or a t-shirt to dinner in the MDR.  But I also know that what other people wear doesn't affect my dining in even the slightest bit.

If you read my posts, it doesn't affect my mine experience either and that wasn't my point.  If interested, scroll above and read.

1 hour ago, Cruise5life said:

If it doesn’t state that shorts are not allowed.  Then they are.    
if they took the time to mention what’s not allowed like bare feet and tank tops, Why not add shorts??????

everything suggested. Not required.  Or you have the option to.   Not required to.    

and any RC Blog isnt run by RC.   It’s a private citizen.    And that means nothing.  

IMG_0126.jpeg

Again, for whatever reason, you don't get it.  Royal states it nicely that shorts are welcome for breakfast and dinner and this does mean they are not welcome for dinner.  Will your wait staff ever tell you this - no.

To confirm, this is the dress code from Royal Caribbean (not from a private citizen): What is the dress code onboard all ships? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

10 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Royal states it nicely that shorts are welcome for breakfast and dinner and this does mean they are not welcome for dinner.

That makes no sense. Unless you meant to say breakfast and lunch. 

WOW! Talk about off topic. 

Edited by doghog

30 minutes ago, BND said:

We take the AT regularly and will again on Oct 31. The reason the AT is so quiet is because Amtrak doesn't hesitate to kick people off.  Basically if you ignore the rules, they can stop the train and tell you to find your way to the station you're heading towards to pick up your car.  

Wow we’ve taken it many times and never had any noise like that. I would tell them to turn it off. 

5 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Wow we’ve taken it many times and never had any noise like that. I would tell them to turn it off. 

I wasn't talking about the  AT with the videos and noise.   The AT is always pretty quiet (plus we get a bedroom). In coach, they announce quiet time starts at like 9 pm and they turn down the lights.  People are really good on the AT.  The second paragraph was about cruising.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

boomboxes hogging chairs.

Or boomboxes and breaking (breakdancing) go hand in hand. Now an Olympic event. 😊

Edited by doghog

1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

Why do you (and others) keep ignoring the word "suggested"?  It's in the link you posted.  Here, I've highlighted it and circled it because you keep missing it...

image.png.0aa109ce162c78c272dd80ad23836c11.png

No matter how much you want it to be different, a suggestion is not a "rule" or "policy". 

DD got sent away from the WJ last month because she didn't have a cover up on.  So why would they enforce that "policy" and not the "shorts in the MDR for dinner"?  Because there's no policy.