Celebrity Eclipse Sky Lounge closed during 12 day cruise

quicklabs

12 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Oh sorry, we had a Sky Suite. Weather was a mixed bag. Promenade deck 4 is mostly undercover so we used that when we wanted a view during rain, that or our balcony.

It just gets better and better.  😂😂😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

It just gets better and better.  😂😂😂

I fail to see what your obsession is with the Retreat. The Sundeck was inaccessible for just about all of the sailing, the lounge is anemic, uncomfortable, and has no windows. So I got to eat in Luminae. Big deal. None of this has anything to do with the Sky Lounge being closed. If I wasn't in the Retreat, I still wouldn't have found the need to go to the Sky Lounge and I still would have survived.

People need to come to grips that Celebrity sells partial charters (as well as full charters). When they do, it could be an annoyance. And it's unpredictable. Of course, you don't have to like it. Write your letters, make your complaints, and if you get a bottle of wine, enjoy it. Celebrity doesn't really owe you anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I fail to see what your obsession is with the Retreat. The Sundeck was inaccessible for just about all of the sailing, the lounge is anemic, uncomfortable, and has no windows. So I got to eat in Luminae. Big deal. None of this has anything to do with the Sky Lounge being closed. If I wasn't in the Retreat, I still wouldn't have found the need to go to the Sky Lounge and I still would have survived.

People need to come to grips that Celebrity sells partial charters (as well as full charters). When they do, it could be an annoyance. And it's unpredictable. Of course, you don't have to like it. Write your letters, make your complaints, and if you get a bottle of wine, enjoy it. Celebrity doesn't really owe you anything.

I think it is predictable if Celebrity informed passengers ahead of time.  I leave on the Eclipse on Sunday the 8th and my app states the Sky Lounge is open to me starting at 1 PM everyday.  It doesn't say "closed for a private event".  Celebrity doesn't really owe you anything.  Do you include food, drink, lodging in that?  If I get to the pier and they say we don't owe you anything, I just turn around and walk away?  

• Like 2

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it is unlikely that Celebrity would contact with a vendor to take over the Retreat Lounge for several to many hours each day of a cruise, telling suite guest that they aren't allowed to use a space they paid for and was specifically advertised?

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, RichYak said:

My “obsession” is that I’ve been in the Retreat once and will be again.  But I would never suggest that taking away a major lounge designed for viewing was a minor inconvenience.  That’s pretty tone deaf.

No one is talking about charters.  Get with the program.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Julma said:

I think it is predictable if Celebrity informed passengers ahead of time.

But they don’t. So it’s not predictable. 

5 minutes ago, Julma said:

Celebrity doesn't really owe you anything.  Do you include food, drink, lodging in that?  If I get to the pier and they say we don't owe you anything, I just turn around and walk away?  

No. I meant they don’t owe anything as compensation for the inconvenience. 

4 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Where is the line where compensation is owed? More than 1 venue closed?  Or they can close all the lounge and dining venues and nothing is owed? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

Where is the line where compensation is owed? More than 1 venue closed?  Or they can close all the lounge and dining venues and nothing is owed? 

I suspect denying food and drink to all passengers would cross the line. 

3 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This entire thread is about a partial charter to Park West resulting in the closure of a venue. 

So you’re telling me this never happens on non charters?  That’s not the point.  You don’t close a major lounge for an entire cruise then tell your other customers to get lost.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

But they don’t. So it’s not predictable. 

I don't think it's an inconvenience.  If a pipe broke leaving the room unusable, that's an inconvenience.  This is Celebrity double dipping.  Knowing they are not going to provide their passengers with a venue that is prominently advertised in their literature as the perfect venue to take in the daytime views with a drink...  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Julma said:

I don't think it's an inconvenience.  If a pipe broke leaving the room unusable, that's an inconvenience.  This is Celebrity double dipping.  Knowing they are not going to provide their passengers with a venue that is prominently advertised in their literature as the perfect venue to take in the daytime views with a drink...  

Well if anyone is inconvenienced, they can just book the Retreat, right?  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You don’t close a major lounge for an entire cruise then tell your other customers to get lost

Well it’s not the entire cruise but that’s pretty much exactly what Celebrity is doing. 

30 minutes ago, desibee said:

“I didn’t use this amenity and I survived, therefore you should just get over it!”

I don’t remember writing “get over it”. After reading this thread, people need to understand what Celebrity is willing to do. They can and will close a venue as they see fit. How anyone chooses to handle that is up to them.

28 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

By that definition all lounges and food service could be closed as long as room service was available.  You can't be serious? 

That last post you quoted was clearly tongue in cheek. 

42 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Well if anyone is inconvenienced, they can just book the Retreat, right?  😂

This is meaningless as I assume Retreat passengers also had no access to the Sky Lounge on these cruises. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichYak said:

That last post you quoted was clearly tongue in cheek. 

That was not clear, and my question was serious. Where is the line? 1/2 the lounges? Or it can be all of the lounges for regular customers as long as the retreat lounge is open? 😉 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

That was not clear, and my question was serious. Where is the line? 1/2 the lounges? Or it can be all of the lounges for regular customers as long as the retreat lounge is open? 😉 

While this gets into hypotheticals, it saddens me to think that this should be seriously discussed as a legitimate possibility on Celebrity. 

TBH they can have the Retreat Lounge on M and S class ships 😂

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This is meaningless as I assume Retreat passengers also had no access to the Sky Lounge on these cruises. 

You really don’t get it, do you?

I know you don’t have a lounge to use for most of the cruise, but darn it, the seats in the Retreat lounge are uncomfortable.  I’m suffering too!  Bartender another gin and tonic!  And bring me those little sandwiches.

16 minutes ago, RichYak said:

TBH they can have the Retreat Lounge on M and S class ships

Thank you.  I love the non-Hoppeninzed Retreat Lounges/Michaels Clubs.  

BTW, it is still unclear to me if the Sky Lounge is closed 24x7 for non-Park West passengers or just large portions of the morning and afternoons.  But to be perfectly honest, I could care one way or the other.  Stuff  happens, work around it as best you can.  All the complaining in the world here will not change it.  As others have stated over and over, contact Celebrity HQ, they are the ones that agreed to the arrangement and are the only ones in a position to do anything about it going forward. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

While Celebrity was downgrading their food menus and I vigorously registered my complaints with Corporate I never did receive a response back.  YMMV

I always have. Within 24 hours of sending the Email. I sent them an Email last week concerning this PW crap. Haven't heard back. Hmmm!! I'll wait until we return from our September Edge cruise. If PW is taking over one of the venues on that cruise, I'll reengage. 

I’ve summered on Cape Cod Since 2000 and often spent 2 weeks in Downeast Maine in September for many of those years.  This has been the coldest August we have had in all those years and my guess is the same for Maine and beyond.  I’m not trying to make excuses for the PW takeover as I’m not a fan, but admittedly nor one of the Sky Lounge. It has been a very weird weather end to summer.

Hope future cruises have better temps as do I for us.🤣