Caribbean Princess Dry Dock

AF-1

15 hours ago, Bgwest said:

One can almost walk to the cruise terminal from the airport in Fort Lauderdale. 

Port Canaveral on the other hand is easily a $100 Uber/Lyft/Cab ride from the airport in Orlando. 

I just reserved 2 spots on Cocoa Beach Shuttle from MCO to a hotel in Cape Canaveral for $56 for two people.  The ride from the hotel to the port a few days later is $10 per person. They were recommended to me by the hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trvlngnrs said:

I just reserved 2 spots on Cocoa Beach Shuttle from MCO to a hotel in Cape Canaveral for $56 for two people.  The ride from the hotel to the port a few days later is $10 per person. They were recommended to me by the hotel.

I've heard good things about that company.  Princess transfers are $39 per person from MCO to Port Canaveral.  My best friend lives in Cape Canaveral so I won't have to pay that.  Airport is 45ish minutes away.

3 hours ago, Trvlngnrs said:

Excellent!! It’s highly doubtful that we will ever embark at PC again but if that changes, you’ve given us a nice option. 
Thank you!!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 1:42 PM, Ellipooh said:

Arrival of CB to Port Canaveral is a first for Princess.  Those of us in Central and Northern Florida are excited to be able to drive to the port!

You say that as if one can't reasonably drive from Central or Northern Florida to South Florida ports. It is a long state, but people drive much farther than that for a cruise all the time. Even I have driven from Central Florida to to South Florida the morning of the cruise and I'm not even a Floridian.

16 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

You say that as if one can't reasonably drive from Central or Northern Florida to South Florida ports. It is a long state, but people drive much farther than that for a cruise all the time. Even I have driven from Central Florida to to South Florida the morning of the cruise and I'm not even a Floridian.

I-95 (or the Florida Turnpike for a fee) are always a crapshoot.  Many accidents that could really upset your plans.  And then there is the traffic in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.  The latter has been especially problematic due to construction on the approach to the cruise terminal exits.

Yes, you can be lucky and reasonably drive in day of cruise.  We're 200 miles from the South Florida cruiseports and will drive in the day before to avoid Murphy.  For our cruise out of Miami next year we are considering a one-way rental to MCO and then taking Brightline to Miami, spending the night, and then taxi or ride share to the port the next morning.  We like to start our cruises as stress free as possible.

I just drove almost to Port Canaveral from home two days ago for an event in Cocoa.  The most traffic I faced was about a dozen cars around me when stopped at stoplights on Route 1.  Total time about 30 minutes.  For those of us used to the lower traffic activity in Central Florida having more cruise line options at Port Canaveral is a wonderful thing!  As is the many cruise port choices in Florida--each can do what works for them!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 7:52 PM, Bgwest said:

Port Canaveral on the other hand is easily a $100 Uber/Lyft/Cab ride from the airport in Orlando. 

There is also the option to fly into the Melbourne-Orlando airport (MLB).  You can rent a car (one-way and drop off near the port) from there and then spend a day or so exploring the lovely Space Coast or get a shuttle from MLB to Port Canaveral.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/24/2024 at 8:46 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I did not notice a staff shortage when I was on her this past July (occupancy according to YouTuber was 115%).  Crew was the best I have ever experienced on any Princess ship.  

I am just the opposite of you.  I would sail on the CB and have zero interest in the Sky (or her sister ships).

And that is why there are so many options for passengers.  

We’ve noticed staffing shortages on our Princess Cruises out of the US, never had that problem on any of their European cruises.

8 hours ago, Jimmys Chippy said:

We’ve noticed staffing shortages on our Princess Cruises out of the US, never had that problem on any of their European cruises.

You could be correct.  This last cruise was out of Southampton.  But then again, I really haven't noticed the shortage.  Maybe not impacting my cruises.  I do know that when they restarted, they had a very difficult time getting back their crew.  Either because of work visas expiring, they got other jobs, or for whatever other reasons.  I would have thought this would be satisfied by now.

On 8/29/2024 at 7:52 PM, Bgwest said:

I'm sailing on the Caribbean out of Port Canaveral in December...I booked a round trip shared shuttle from MCO-port-MCO for $50 ($25 each way. Several companies with recommendations from Cruise Critic posts offer this service for similar prices. The Princess shuttle is $39 each way.

Question: I read that at the next dry docks for each ship that still has a free sauna and steam room in the Lotus spa changing rooms, they will be removing them. Has anyone heard if they're planning to do this on the Caribbean's upcoming dry dock? I love using them and will be on the ship in December. 

First of all, we absolutely love the Caribbean Princess.  Their staff is excellent, especially their Director of restaurant operations, Oscar.   As residents of Orlando, we are happy to see that she will be docking at Port Canaveral, which is a 35 minute drive from us.  

There are many shuttles from Orlando, but there is also the new Brightline train that not only goes from Orlando International to Port Canaveral, but also all the way to Port Everglades.

9 hours ago, pppatpc2 said:

There are many shuttles from Orlando, but there is also the new Brightline train that not only goes from Orlando International to Port Canaveral, but also all the way to Port Everglades.

The Brightline train does not stop in or near Port Canaveral.  Although it goes though some 70 miles of Brevard County (where PC is located) there are no stations here, although one is planned for the Cocoa area--date TBD.

Sailed on CB in March. No issues with ship, wonderful cruise. I heard on other threads that Grand class ships are having complimentary steam rooms and saunas in Lotus Spa removed during dry docks. I’m sailing on the Emerald Princess upcoming March and heard that it’s steam rooms and saunas had been removed. Other Grand class ships will follow. My last cruise on CB steam rooms and saunas were operating and I really enjoy this amenity. Sad to see this feature go.

• Like 1