LAFFNVEGAS LIVE to Alaska on the HAL Westerdam August 25, 2024

48 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Cruising Endicott Arm has been beautiful, we are almost to Dawes Glacier. We ate breakfast in the Main Dining Room being able to look out at the beautiful fjords and waterfalls.(The above note is from earlier when we’re having breakfast)
Unfortunately we were not able to get up close to Dawes Glacier, it was so fogged in but the Captain turned the ship so that Port side have over 20 minutes facing that direction. Oddly for about three minutes I noticed the fog had slightly lifted enough to make out the glacier then it started to roll back in. The Captain is now turning so Starboard side might get a glimpse. Because it was raining earlier they did not open the bow due to safety issues but did open the doors forward on 5, 6 and 7 over looking the bow.

IMG_6436.jpeg

IMG_6437.jpeg

IMG_6440.jpeg

IMG_6441.jpeg

IMG_6444.jpeg

IMG_6445.jpeg

IMG_6447.jpeg

IMG_6449.jpeg

IMG_6450.jpeg

IMG_6451.jpeg

IMG_6452.jpeg

Absolutely stunning landscape!! Thanks for sharing the mystical, foggy photos. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Cruising Endicott Arm has been beautiful, we are almost to Dawes Glacier. We ate breakfast in the Main Dining Room being able to look out at the beautiful fjords and waterfalls.(The above note is from earlier when we’re having breakfast)
Unfortunately we were not able to get up close to Dawes Glacier, it was so fogged in but the Captain turned the ship so that Port side have over 20 minutes facing that direction. Oddly for about three minutes I noticed the fog had slightly lifted enough to make out the glacier then it started to roll back in. The Captain is now turning so Starboard side might get a glimpse. Because it was raining earlier they did not open the bow due to safety issues but did open the doors forward on 5, 6 and 7 over looking the bow.

IMG_6436.jpeg

IMG_6437.jpeg

IMG_6440.jpeg

IMG_6441.jpeg

IMG_6444.jpeg

IMG_6445.jpeg

IMG_6447.jpeg

IMG_6449.jpeg

IMG_6450.jpeg

IMG_6451.jpeg

IMG_6452.jpeg

Exactly the type of weather I wish we'd have when there, unfortunately I always end up with those rare sunny days.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is so fun, as we were just on Westerdam two weeks ago, which had a large group (800+ folks).  We probably would have moved to this cruise if we knew they would be onboard.  🙄  

Edited by scooter6139
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

This is so fun, as we were just on Westerdam two weeks ago, which had a large group (800+ folks).  We probably would have moved to this cruise if we knew they would be onboard.  🙄  

What type of a group?  I've had some interesting ones over the years: bell ringing, quilting, even a conservative radio host and his fans, although the name escapes me.  

1 hour ago, scooter6139 said:

There were only a few listings of groups on the Westerdam in 2024 on VMax's posts listing charters and groups on board.  (see this post:)

I copied out the section just for the Westerdam here:
Westerdam

09 June 2024 – 07 July 2024 : Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice : Knitting Group

04 August 2024 – 11 August 2024 : Alaska : Focal Point Ministries Group

Our dinner is in the oven but wish I was able to order Alaskan Dover Sole and Bosche bol. And, a glass of red wine.  When it says "Alaskan" does that mean it has not been frozen?  Thank you letting us join you for dinner.  Cherie

• Like 1

Lemon Drop

Bay Shrimp Cocktail... No egg

Alaskan Fresh Salmon

Apple Pie

Cappuccino and Baileys

Lisa - Your photos today are beautiful. Brings back many happy memories for me.

B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cccole said:

Our dinner is in the oven but wish I was able to order Alaskan Dover Sole and Bosche bol. And, a glass of red wine.  When it says "Alaskan" does that mean it has not been frozen?  Thank you letting us join you for dinner.  Cherie

Cherie, I don’t think so, I know with fish pretty sure it needs to have been frozen.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So I think the Bay Shrimp Cocktail, the Bami Goring and all the deserts look great although the Bosche Bol and Tompouse both seem like good choices.

Have you had Tompouce? I've never had it, but it sounds good and I'm now hoping to see it next month on my cruise.

• Like 1

Just now, Haljo1935 said:

Have you had Tompouce? I've never had it, but it sounds good and I'm now hoping to see it next month on my cruise.

You may know it as a "vanilla slice" or "Napoleon". I'm sure there are subtle differences but they're all very similar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2