Any restrictions on bringing food items aboard?

Posted (edited)

Hope someone can answer this query 🤔  My husband and I are off very soon on a Mediterranean Cruise and, if possible, we would like to be able to bring home some of the local cheeses and cold meats (we will have a mini fridge in our cabin).  Is there any restriction on bringing food items back on board?  Also, my understanding is that any alcohol we might buy whilst ashore will be taken from us when we return to the Ship and returned to us at the end of the Cruise.  How and when would we collect this?  Thank you in advance

Edited by Crustyrabbit
  • Like 1

Alcohol is mostly turned in when entering the ship from a port. It is stored and then delivered to your cabin on the last evening. I say mostly because at some ports this practice is not fully practiced.

There may be restrictions on bringing unpackaged food items onto the ship. You would have to ask. There certainly are many restrictions on bringing unpackaged food items off the ship at ports and on disembarkation. I have seen dogs which detect food items, and barrels of fruits, fresh sandwiches, and other items which port authorities have collected from de-boarding passengers. The restrictions depend on the country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, skynight said:

Alcohol is mostly turned in when entering the ship from a port. It is stored and then delivered to your cabin on the last evening. I say mostly because at some ports this practice is not fully practiced.

There may be restrictions on bringing unpackaged food items onto the ship. You would have to ask. There certainly are many restrictions on bringing unpackaged food items off the ship at ports and on disembarkation. I have seen dogs which detect food items, and barrels of fruits, fresh sandwiches, and other items which port authorities have collected from de-boarding passengers. The restrictions 

Edited by cruizingOmi
Posted in wrong spot
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Crustyrabbit said:

Hope someone can answer this query 🤔  My husband and I are off very soon on a Mediterranean Cruise and, if possible, we would like to be able to bring home some of the local cheeses and cold meats (we will have a mini fridge in our cabin).  Is there any restriction on bringing food items back on board?  Also, my understanding is that any alcohol we might buy whilst ashore will be taken from us when we return to the Ship and returned to us at the end of the Cruise.  How and when would we collect this?  Thank you in advance

Generally only prepackaged and factory sealed food is allowed to be brought onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruizingOmi said:

Generally only prepackaged and factory sealed food is allowed to be brought onboard.

That's the kind of thing we were thinking of.  Thank you.

4 hours ago, Crustyrabbit said:

3 hours ago, cruizingOmi said:

We've brought  fresh local food back onboard in ports around the world, never been confiscated. That being said, I believe it could be up to the port rules, but Princess has never cared. We've never tried in the Med. If there is a port security checkpoint, you might ask on your way out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In Hawaii they took our unopened pre packaged candy when getting back on the ship…ironically our dining room waiter was in line behind us, said it was his after it went through the scanner, and it was then allowed.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

In Hawaii they took our unopened pre packaged candy when getting back on the ship…ironically our dining room waiter was in line behind us, said it was his after it went through the scanner, and it was then allowed.  

Last time through Honolulu,home, we brought back Roast Duck, Roast Pork, Manapua, Pork Hash and an assortment of candies for our bartenders and room steward to have a meal. Different day, different scanners. Always go to our local places when stopping at home for us and people onboard.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I was on a recent Mediterranean cruise with Celebrity and it was stated that no food could be brought back on board. I can't remember if Princess had the same rules but if it is due to local agricultural regulations it would probably be the same. Whether this was policed I don't know as I didn't bring any food back to the ship. When on your cruise you can check the Princess Patter for any regulations regarding bringing food back on the ship. Have a great cruise! 

IMG_20240827_080401.thumb.jpg.975befbe105f67539fbeb6a965591c68.jpg

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Thanks 1

We've brought flowers from Tahiti, Fiji and Hawaii, brought takeaway food from Hawaii, Tahiti, Colombia, Panama, Mexico and multiple US and Canada stops. No problem. Europe takeaway food from Gibraltar, Civitavecchia and Barcelona, not a problem. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Crustyrabbit said:

I would look at your Princess patter a.k.a. newsletter and see if there are restrictions in the port where you plan on buying your meat and cheeses and do you plan on consuming those items onboard? or taking them back home to England? You’ll have to check what the requirements are to get back into England as well.
I know US customs when you fill out the form it says no meats, fruits, etc. And if none of that works, ask the security people when you get off the ship if it’s allowed to be brought back on the ship and take a picture of their name tag if they tell you, yes. 
As far as the alcohol that you buy, ashore/ in port ,it may be taken from you when you come back onboard or it might not be. And yes, they tag it with your name on it give you a receipt and then they deliver it to you on the last night of the cruise.

Solid cheese might be ok as long as no meat in it,like bacon? I would think it would have to be in some sort of a sealed package.( example vacuum sealed)

I would say meat,no. I don’t know what is allowed in UK after getting off a cruise.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2024 at 3:55 PM, arizonaperson said:

I would look at your Princess patter a.k.a. newsletter and see if there are restrictions in the port where you plan on buying your meat and cheeses and do you plan on consuming those items onboard? or taking them back home to England? You’ll have to check what the requirements are to get back into England as well.
I know US customs when you fill out the form it says no meats, fruits, etc. And if none of that works, ask the security people when you get off the ship if it’s allowed to be brought back on the ship and take a picture of their name tag if they tell you, yes. 
As far as the alcohol that you buy, ashore/ in port ,it may be taken from you when you come back onboard or it might not be. And yes, they tag it with your name on it give you a receipt and then they deliver it to you on the last night of the cruise.

Solid cheese might be ok as long as no meat in it,like bacon? I would think it would have to be in some sort of a sealed package.( example vacuum sealed)

I would say meat,no. I don’t know what is allowed in UK after getting off a cruise.

No meat or dairy allowed into the UK.   This from the UK website.  Heading there tomorrow

4 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

No meat or dairy allowed into the UK.   This from the UK website.  Heading there tomorrow

You can bring meat or dairy into the UK for personal use if it was bought in the EU/EEA. Not from other countries. 

• Thanks 1