Live from Silver Dawn - Copenhagen to Copenhagen, Aug 26 - Sep 5, 2024

PinonNoir

Posted (edited)

Wine 

We usually spend a bit of time the first few days asking what else they are pouring till we find something drinkable. Its tough work but someone has to roll up their sleves and get the job done.  Then take a pic to show future waiters.

Not a fan of hot rocks but when we do go we ask the kitchen to cook it for us.

Desert is rarely what the menu suggests.  We're still laughing over what was supposed to be éclairs.  Some weird pink concoction. 🤣

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Wine 

We usually spend a bit of time the first few days asking what else they are pouring till we find something drinkable. Its tough work but someone has to roll up their sleves and get the job done.  Then take a pic to show future waiters.

Not a fan of hot rocks but when we do go we ask the kitchen to cook it for us.

Desert is rarely what the menu suggests.  We're still laughing over what was supposed to be éclairs.  Some weird pink concoction. 🤣

Hope that helps a bit.

Yes, our new friends Paul and Trudy from Florida opted to have it cooked for them...they know the drill!  Pink eclairs??  Sounds delightful!  Thanks for the note Clint!

• Haha 1

And once you find your favorite bartender, they are  often happy to create concoctions or speciality drinks.  One came up with a watermelon ginger delight we nicknamed a Whaletail ( after a whale that had just surfaced, not the tattoo). Fresh coconut martini, and papaya passion to name a few that come to mind.  Have fun and ask. 😃

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yes the Dawn along with the Moon and Muse have a forward outdoor area on Deck 12. When you enter the Observation lounge turn left and exit the door on the side. take the stairs to deck 12 and a large open area. On your cruise need a good jacket at night.

there has never been a list of the complementary wines on SS. The reason told to me by several sommeliers (the real ones ) is that the wines supplied to the ship change at virtually every re supply. And since the RCL takeover I believe that has probably been even more true depending on what large quantity of cheap wine that they can find.

However the included wines are very rarely "bad" but certainly many are not to everyone's taste. On each cruise I do what @highplanesdrifters suggests and talk to the real sommelier. Since the RCL takeover they call all the wine waiters sommeliers which I think is stupid and annoys many guests.

I get on really well with one sommelier, a woman from Slovenia but unfortunately I am awful remembering names. She knows her wines and will check you out. On our first meeting I asked if they had any South American wines so she brought me a glass and asked what I thought of it. I like a few South American wines so when I said well it is South American because it is a carminere from Chile. A few years later she was on the Dawn on a long Mediterranean cruise. A few voyages before the ship had done a grand voyage around South America. She remembered my preference and told me there were a few such wines aboard but usually only 1 or 2 bottles so they won't be offered. So I drank my way around South America.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 5

Good Morning Drron - Maybe the Sommelier is Bilijana who we have known for years - she is certainly very good and really looks after those Guests who interact with her about their Wine preferences. She was on The Spirit in June and was much appreciated.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Pinon wants the lights off so he can look out at the nighttime lights.  And he wants the blinds open. 

I said that there were plenty of other places to see those sights.  And I explained that darkness is important for the benefit of the bridge.

A far better suggestion would have been to use the forward facing gallery area rather than Spaccanapoli!

To be fair, I did actually think the OP must have been on the Ray or Nova (yes I know the clue was in the title!)

Edited by les37b

On 8/27/2024 at 3:58 PM, les37b said:

I think you've misunderstood (or maybe I have!)

On the new Nova class, any forward observation is behind glass. You can no longer be outside to set up cameras to time lapse for example. The Muse Class ships you could and everything prior. Not important to some of course, but you cant video or take photos through glass without negative effects. (Or ability to fix a gopro for video)

Its why I'd never chose to sail on those ships.

On most sailings Ive been on, you will see my cameras setup and left. (3 for the Panama transit.) Here is one of them - impossible on the Nova.

Les, thanks for the heads up.  I had actually walked up there at one point, so I guess I just forgot it was above the Observation Lounge  A little windy and chilly to spend more than a few minutes, but good to know it's there.

We arrived in Stavanger today and took a cruise up the nearby Lysefjord.  Excellent little excursion that gets you right up by a waterfall and you can get a view of the famous Pulpit Rock, which I wish we had time to hike to.

20240828_114019.thumb.jpg.337fb8a1d8d4fe4833000349007f3d85.jpg

20240828_115235.thumb.jpg.e844d10df08a62bf984c34e2dedd4019.jpg

We barely got to see Stavanger as we were set to depart at 1500, but we did walk around the cute old part of the city.  Upon boarding we noted that Kaiseki was open and had room, so we had some Sashimi, a California Roll and a Spicy Tuna Roll.  All were excellent!  Bear in mind that when you order a roll it's just 3 pieces, so order accordingly.

20240828_142121.thumb.jpg.d12b53e2aafd91d05d16cdd612c09ae2.jpg

Finished our puzzle after lunch, and one nasty lady came by bitching about us using two tables again.  I think they either need to have more tables or tell the Bridge people to set up in the bar on Deck 5 where there is LOADS of room.

We have no reservations tonight, so it's either S.A.L.T., Atlantide or Scappanoli (I give up trying to spell it).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

We arrived in Stavanger today and took a cruise up the nearby Lysefjord.  Excellent little excursion that gets you right up by a waterfall and you can get a view of the famous Pulpit Rock, which I wish we had time to hike to.

20240828_114019.thumb.jpg.337fb8a1d8d4fe4833000349007f3d85.jpg

20240828_115235.thumb.jpg.e844d10df08a62bf984c34e2dedd4019.jpg

We barely got to see Stavanger as we were set to depart at 1500, but we did walk around the cute old part of the city.  Upon boarding we noted that Kaiseki was open and had room, so we had some Sashimi, a California Roll and a Spicy Tuna Roll.  All were excellent!  Bear in mind that when you order a roll it's just 3 pieces, so order accordingly.

20240828_142121.thumb.jpg.d12b53e2aafd91d05d16cdd612c09ae2.jpg

Finished our puzzle after lunch, and one nasty lady came by bitching about us using two tables again.  I think they either need to have more tables or tell the Bridge people to set up in the bar on Deck 5 where there is LOADS of room.

We have no reservations tonight, so it's either S.A.L.T., Atlantide or Scappanoli (I give up trying to spell it).

Just call it "The Pizza Place" 😃then you wont have to worry about the spelling LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

I think they either need to have more tables or tell the Bridge people to set up in the bar on Deck 5 where there is LOADS of room.

Is this the bridge that is part of the Silversea program, or one of the private tour groups that has been booking a lot on SS?  In other words, is this listed in the Chronicles or are they just showing up?

I think the main group booking on SS is called "Play Bridge at Sea".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Is this the bridge that is part of the Silversea program, or one of the private tour groups that has been booking a lot on SS?  In other words, is this listed in the Chronicles or are they just showing up?

I think the main group booking on SS is called "Play Bridge at Sea".

Some guy set up a list for people to play Bridge. I'm not sure if it's sanctioned by Silversea or not. We were up there early on the first night working on the puzzle when they descended and starting asking about the two tables we had set up for the rather large puzzle, that was there when we showed up. I think it was the same nasty woman as today.

During the day today somebody showed up and threw all the extra puzzle pieces in a box and moved the extra table. I of course moved it back and they had the gall to get nasty with us about it yet again.  We basically ignored her.

We finished the puzzle so I moved the table back. Mrs Nasty can now play her Bridge....but I'm not sure who would want to play with her based on her less than stellar attitude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tonight we ate at S.A.L.T, the regional restaurant.  We got there shortly after they opened, at 1905.  There were already quite a few tables taken, so if you want to eat here try to show up before 1930.

We both had their Noma inspired Veggie Patch, which was good, but I'd not repeat it.  My wife had the Venison Tenderloin which was excellent.  I had the Fish of the Day (Turbot), which was outstanding!  I also had the sides of Danish caramelized potatoes and the charred carrots....both really fricking good!  We both had the Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie....absolute yum!  We like this restaurant!!  It really wasn't on our radar pre-trip, but we'll definitely be eating here again at some point.  Well done Silversea!!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, goldengatecruisers said:

Those Danish caramelized potatoes are something else...  Delicious.  Potatoes and sugar!  Who knew! Watch the menu, they will change every few days and there will be several wonderful local Norwegian dishes offered.

Thanks...this spot is definitely one people should consider!

14 hours ago, Mayflower1 said:

Good Morning Drron - Maybe the Sommelier is Bilijana who we have known for years - she is certainly very good and really looks after those Guests who interact with her about their Wine preferences. She was on The Spirit in June and was much appreciated.

Yes she is also very good. But I just get along with Karolina who was the one that gave me the South American wine journey.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drron29 said:

Yes she is also very good. But I just get along with Karolina who was the one that gave me the South American wine journey.

Karolina is wonderful. We met her on our first Silversea cruise on the Nova in December, and when we boarded the Dawn for our second cruise in June, we were so happy to see her again. Anyone know where she's headed next? It would be great to have her on the Ray in December...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drron29 said:

Carolina is the best!!!

12 hours ago, goldengatecruisers said:

Those Danish caramelized potatoes are something else...  Delicious.  Potatoes and sugar!  Who knew! Watch the menu, they will change every few days and there will be several wonderful local Norwegian dishes offered.

SALT is such an interesting option that so many do not understand until they are onboard and experience the local approach to dining.  Just check the menu before dining - on occassion the SALT selections ""will not talk to you"" - if that is the case, check back in a few days for a new menu!

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

Some guy set up a list for people to play Bridge. I'm not sure if it's sanctioned by Silversea or not. We were up there early on the first night working on the puzzle when they descended and starting asking about the two tables we had set up for the rather large puzzle, that was there when we showed up. I think it was the same nasty woman as today.

During the day today somebody showed up and threw all the extra puzzle pieces in a box and moved the extra table. I of course moved it back and they had the gall to get nasty with us about it yet again.  We basically ignored her.

We finished the puzzle so I moved the table back. Mrs Nasty can now play her Bridge....but I'm not sure who would want to play with her based on her less than stellar attitude.

I'd get a pic of Ms. Nasty and have a quiet word with the HD about the harrassment. Jigsaw puzzle justice.

Edited by highplanesdrifters

22 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I'd get a pic of Ms. Nasty and have a quiet word with the HD about the harrassment. Jigsaw puzzle justice.

Nah, it's bad enough she has to live with her sorry self.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2