Celebrity Millennium - Is it a nice ship or too old?

nast

I am always trying to sail on new cruise ships such as the Beyond, Ascent, Silver Ray, .... Now I have seen a nice itinerary with the Celebrity Millennium. The question; is this ship still for me?

I know this is a question which I can only answer myself but what is the condition of the ship? Latest refurbishments? 

Will stay in Aqua Class.

Does this ship show signs of its age, it's all a bit more old-fashioned like the atrium, theatre, ... 

In our opinion the Millennium has aged gracefully.  

She is in excellent  condition and was Revolutionized so the furniture and room decor has changed. There are the typical spots here and there of course, you will encounter this on any sea going vessel not matter how hard the crew works at upkeep. But you have to look hard to find these and if you are enjoying the itinerary and activities you will have a great time. 

What you will miss from the Beyond and Ascent are the number of specialty restaurants to choose from.  There are only three - Tuscan, La Petite Chef, and Sushi on 5 on Millennium. 

We did a 15-night Panama Canal sailing in 2023 and a 13-night Best of Japan on her in May of this year and thoroughly enjoyed both cruises. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

It is my favorite ship on Celebrity.  We sailed in January and it was in good shape.  I like it much better than E class.  Much more chill and relaxing ...  Fewer people and crowds.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

Great ship overall as noted above. If you are sailing for the itinerary it should be fine, as long as you do not need to be entertained continuously. If you were happy with the activity options and activity level on the Silver Ray you should be content aboard the Millennium. 

My 2 favorite Celebrity ships are the Millennium and the Silhouette. The Silver Ray is in a different category.

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

It is my favorite ship on Celebrity.  We sailed in January and it was in good shape.  I like it much better than E class.  Much more chill and relaxing ...  Fewer people and crowds.

One thing I love about the M Class ships is that there are fewer people yet an additional set of elevators and stairs. 

• Like 4

We like the M Class ships. Two points I would make

I. Over the years  Celebrity have increased the number of cabins to generate more income.The result is that in sunny weather you will find it difficult to find a lounger on deck and don't think about the Seaview cafe between 1 and 2pm .

2. If you are going Aqua beware of those cabins on the deck below the pool on deck 9. These will be in the area around cabin 9017 and starboard. The pool  filtration system is midships in that area and its like being trapped in a washing machine. Its a known problem and if you go for a deal or a Gteed cabin it most likely will be one of those. The Aqua cabins on deck 11 are superb. We loved that deck space before they took it for more revenue,  and built the cabins. 

• We were on Millie a year ago for an Alaska cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it.  While it doesn't  have the glitzy bells and whistles the recent ships do, or a huge Retreat area, we tend to enjoy the smaller ships and found the food and lounges and overall experience to be more than adequate,  We were in a Celebrity Suite which had been renovated and was in excellent shape.  The crew was excellent and we had more than a few favorite crew members. 
  • Like 1

Was just on the Millennium in July for Japan. Although the main areas of the ship were nice, our stateroom had a strange odor - almost like cat urine.  It was coming from near the balcony.  I believe it was from water damage related to the balcony.  The balcony door did stick a few times, so I only felt comfortable out there when my husband was in the room to let me back in.  There were other people who also complained of the odor.  That being said, I wouldn't let it stop me from going on again if it was an itinerary I was interested in.  

36 minutes ago, ETHTrader said:

If you sailed Edge class ships before, it will be a big adjustment so set your expectations accordingly

You could ask to be raised and lowered a few times with a bartender in one of the lifeboats to simulate the Magic Carpet experience. 

• Haha 3

There are only two things that I did not like about the Millennium.

First, the sound and light systems in the main theatre are really outdated and mediocre.  It does impact the quality of the shows.

Second, if there are tough seas and the outer decks are closed, the inside decks feel really crowded.

I thought that the facilities and the staff was excellent.

I haven't been on the Millie in a long time, before the refurbishing, but what I really like is that it is a smaller ship, easier to get around and less people. We will be on the Summit in Sept. 2025 and I'm looking forward to Alaska.  Have fun on your cruise.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

First, the sound and light systems in the main theatre are really outdated and mediocre.  It does impact the quality of the shows.

That was not my experience - I thought the production in the main theatre was great. Maybe it was a different set of technicians?   

I was on the Millenium Last summer in Alaska and she was in great shape - I had a great time.  I had a simple interior room and it was really well decorated and set up - it felt both upscale and cozy - one of my favorite cabins I've stayed in. 

• Like 1

Our favorite ship.  Right size.  3 elevator banks.  Real balconies.  We'll maintained.   That says it all.

This topic comes up.almost weekly.  Remember most of the reviews on CC are negative.  People like to vent their complaints.  Tens of thousands of happy cruisers have been on Millennium.  

• Like 2

We have spent a lot of time on MIllie. Love the ship - well maintained and the staff was the best. We took our first Edge class ship in May. It was good not our favorite ship layout. We really enjoy the Sky Lounge on Millie. Nice place to read and relax. If you like fancy and new - the Edge Class ships may be for you. We always have a good time on our cruises - if you change the type of ship - go into it with an open mind. We prefer the M and S class ships to the Edge series but won't rule out the Edge class if it has the right itinerary. 

I like the M class , the big advantage of E class is when you book suites, also entertainment is superior, I know suite restaurant is far superior on M class wouldn’t be surprised if aqua dinning room was also. 

• Like 2