Boarding passes not available in Navigator App

Posted (edited)

I've checked in for our Alaska cruise several weeks ago. There's 13 days and 10 hours till our cruise to Alaska. The Navigator App states that boarding passes would be available "approx" 30th August. It's the 31st today. No sign of them in the App or on the website. I rang HAL last night who said to account for the PST time difference and they'd appear at midnight PST which is around 8am here. Nothing today yet. I rang again this morning and spoke to a  unintelligible agent. She didn't know why either but said she'd  email someone who would come back to me hopefully within 24 hours.

The boarding pass wallet has appeared on the home page of the app but when I open it there is nothing. I've attached screenshots.

Do I need to be worried about this? We fly later this week and I don't want the stress of sorting this all out whilst we are away trying to enjoy our pre-cruise holiday. 

IMG_5983.thumb.png.fc3548a9ea700e978bb5ba59d539f76d.pngIMG_5982.thumb.png.05e36cc896de196630e0ef73e0362a1d.png 

Edited by bronzevernis

I am worried because we fly this week and I don’t want the stress of worrying about boarding passes whilst on holiday. 

When do boarding passes usually appear in the App? The boarding pass wallet appeared overnight but nothing in it. I don’t know if this is a tech glitch or another problem. 

Posted (edited)

Just like the airlines, the people checking you in don't really need your boarding pass. They have all your information on their computer and can check you in with just your passport.

For the most part they might glance at your boarding pass to get your name. I have checked in where they take my boarding pass and don't even look at it, getting my name from my passport.

Your boarding pass may be more important to get into the building, but someone will have access to the manifest and be able to get you past that.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Just like the airlines, the people checking you in don't really need your boarding pass. They have all your information on their computer and can check you in with just your passport.

For the most part they might glance at your boarding pass to get your name. I have checked in where they take my boarding pass and don't even look at it, getting my name from my passport.

Your boarding pass may be more important to get into the building, but someone will have access to the manifest and be able to get you past that.

With airlines it’s no boarding pass, it’s denied boarding. . 
The boarding pass has to be scanned to get through to security. It’s scanned and checked again at the gate. Airport security is extremely tight here in the UK. 
You can get a boarding pass from the agent if you’re checking in luggage with a scheduled airlines. The budget airlines like Ryanair will charge you an arm and a leg to print your boarding pass at the airport. 

I don’t like leaving things to chance. I wouid like to know the general experience - are HAL boarding passes usually available 14 days before a cruise or is it often closer to the date?

this would help me ascertain whether there is a problem with our boarding passes. So I can try to sort it out before we fly. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Our boarding passes came a few days later than what they said. I understand wanting your ducks in a row. 

That’s very helpful to know. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, bronzevernis said:

With airlines it’s no boarding pass, it’s denied boarding. . 
The boarding pass has to be scanned to get through to security. It’s scanned and checked again at the gate. Airport security is extremely tight here in the UK. 
You can get a boarding pass from the agent if you’re checking in luggage with a scheduled airlines.

Sorry, I failed to mention that the person checking you in will print the boarding pass for you. I was just trying to convey the fact that you didn't need it before you got to the airport. In addition, some airlines/airports have a kiosk that will print your boarding pass after scanning your passport or dl.

• Like 1

PANIC over. The boarding passes are now showing on the website so I've printed them all off. Still not appearing in the App though 🤷‍♀️ but I'm not going to worry too much about that!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bronzevernis said:

PANIC over. The boarding passes are now showing on the website so I've printed them all off. Still not appearing in the App though 🤷‍♀️ but I'm not going to worry too much about that!

Yay!  Try deleting the app then re-installing.  They should show up then.  The app might still be trying to use a previous sailing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bronzevernis said:

But no barcode on the boarding pass 🤦‍♀️!

Its says not to print off boarding pass more than 15 days before the cruise to allow the bar code to be added in the left hand corner of the boarding pass.

Maybe the bar code will materialise shortly!

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

Yay!  Try deleting the app then re-installing.  They should show up then.  The app might still be trying to use a previous sailing.

Its our first cruise with HAL.

I've closed the app down and the restarted it without any luck.

I'll try deleting and reinstalling

6 minutes ago, bronzevernis said:

Its our first cruise with HAL.

I've closed the app down and the restarted it without any luck.

I'll try deleting and reinstalling

Which unfortunately hasn't worked!

HAL are a bit rubbish at issuing boarding passes.

My TA wanted to get them to us last week. She called and was told September 1. I'm not too worried, and if you have it on your Navigator app, you will be fine. You don't have to print them. I take a pic of them on the app, so I have them in my photos in case the app isn't working when I check in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

My TA wanted to get them to us last week. She called and was told September 1. I'm not too worried, and if you have it on your Navigator app, you will be fine. You don't have to print them. I take a pic of them on the app, so I have them in my photos in case the app isn't working when I check in.

Unfortunately they’re not showing in the app. My TA contacted HAL to email them to me and I’ve just received them. Also now on website. But no bar codes on the boarding passes - yet!

1 minute ago, bronzevernis said:

Unfortunately they’re not showing in the app. My TA contacted HAL to email them to me and I’ve just received them. Also now on website. But no bar codes on the boarding passes - yet!

I'm confident that they will come. I don't have them on my ipad app, and my phone app still has my February boarding passes. French Polynesia is far from Alaska rofl

• Like 1

Let there be calm!  

They will appear, it's just not an exact science yet (in the HAL world).

Remember that this is a holiday weekend in USA.

When you get to T minus 7 days then start to show slight concern, but providing you have paid in full and the website is showing that checkin is complete for all passengers, then you are good to go.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bronzevernis said:

By any chance, did you purchase a guarantee room, or do you have an assigned room?

7 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Let there be calm!  

They will appear, it's just not an exact science yet (in the HAL world).

Remember that this is a holiday weekend in USA.

When you get to T minus 7 days then start to show slight concern, but providing you have paid in full and the website is showing that checkin is complete for all passengers, then you are good to go.

I didn’t know it was a holiday weekend in the USA. I’m from the UK. 

I have the boarding passes now, just no barcodes and no digital boarding pass in the app yet. 
otherwise all checked in, full balance paid. 

5 minutes ago, Crew News said:

After many Alaska visits, barcoded boarding passes usually do not appear before 8 days or less from cruising.  Often, during the last days, boarding passes will change.

Thanks, that’s very helpful to know. 
Hopefully the digital boarding pass will appear at some point. I won’t have access to a printer in those last 8 days. 

8 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

By any chance, did you purchase a guarantee room, or do you have an assigned room?

I’m not familiar with the room lingo but I booked a verandah stateroom with a designated number.