Confusion over dress code...Le Bistro, Ocean Blue and Manhattan

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

@schmoopie17 here ...

I say pack a tux like @mking8288 and you'll be fine.

Hey, hey 🤗 I did not pack a tux nor renting one onboard the QE, here's their written guide.  Our server reassured us that a dark suit & tie meet the dress code for the White Gala themed dinner 😆 

PXL_20240831_2358194302.thumb.jpg.6ca913371885b0167b9c6da38dc55ea8.jpg

BTW, Carnival - Cunard's Starlink satellite 📡 WiFi is blazing fast, no falsed advertising and leave NCL peddling the ships' IT kilometers behind, I am sad & sorry to report & confirm - for others, feel free to lurk & peek at my semi-live report now.  

Screenshot_20240831-121027.thumb.png.72f084e2746d54f84fc0a3a6e96d11b9.png

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

On our Joy cruise in June, T was called and told long pants were required in Ocean Blue. 

And I agree...make it consistent across the board. I'd rather see @graphicguyin his shorts than long pants anyday...IYKYK.

Be careful what you ask for…😃

I worry very little about what other people are wearing and I don't see why long pants or "dressy" shorts really matter in a sit down restaurant. Women can be half naked but heaven forbid the lower part of a man's leg is to be seen! 

Personally  I'm far more bugged by elderly gentlemen strolling around in their pyjama shorts and tank tops in the buffet breakfast on sea days. Guys, you're not in the privacy of your home, among your family! To say I lose my appetite would be wrong (not much get in the way of my appetite), but it's not nice! 

• Like 2

DH has worn his kilt at Le Bistro without a problem.   But, he did have socks and closed toed shoes!  I've seen entire families in their pj's come down for the buffet breakfast...not my thing but if they want to do it, fine......

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

@schmoopie17 is departing soon for the Escape so he might be able to test knickers at Le Bistro before you. 

Here you go Schmoopie…

IMG_7188.thumb.jpeg.028ff07d56e8c175831f9b9a9506c05e.jpeg

Wow...matching socks included. What a deal! 

No mention of the shoes being included. 

Would open-toe shoes be acceptable with this snazzy outfit? (My mom always used the word snazzy, so I like to sneak it in every so often in her memory.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Wow...matching socks included. What a deal! 

No mention of the shoes being included. 

Would open-toe shoes be acceptable with this snazzy outfit? (My mom always used the word snazzy, so I like to sneak it in every so often in her memory.)

I love the word snazzy as well.

To add to your "Confusion Over Dress Code" thread, the Freestyle Daily merely says "shoes and shirts must be worn." It does not qualify what types of shoes or shirts, nor does it explicitly say you have to wear pants, thus, my knickers suggestion.

15 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

To add to your "Confusion Over Dress Code" thread, the Freestyle Daily merely says "shoes and shirts must be worn." It does not qualify what types of shoes or shirts, nor does it explicitly say you have to wear pants, thus, my knickers suggestion.

So, technically you could "wear" your shoes on your hands and "wear" a shirt tied around your waist, or on your head. Can hardly wait to try this in a couple weeks...

Edited by schmoopie17

9 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

So, technically you could "wear" your shoes on your hands and "wear" a shirt tied around your waist, or on your head. Can hardly wait to try this in a couple weeks...

I do not see any indication that would suggest otherwise. 

Please kindly ask Mrs. Schmoopie to film your interaction with the host.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've relayed this story before.

This happened quite a few years ago on a Royal cruise.

It had been a while since most got dressed up for "formal night".  But, I'm of the mind you dress as you like....your vacation.  

Not a lot of folks, but a few dressed up in Tux/Gown.  One such couple was getting their picture taken.  I was waiting to the side for their pics to be done vs cutting in front of or behind them.  As I was standing there, the lady warned me not to cut into their pic as I would ruin their ambiance.

Should have let it go, but I didn't.  I proceeded to tell her that I was not part of their background and wasn't sailing to affect the "ambiance of their cruise".  She was rather speechless and the husband demurred and looked down and away as this exchange happened.

Moral of the story....dress as you like.  You won't ruin my pictures if you're in a suit, tux, dress, gown.  And, I won't consider you part of my background as I sure ain't part of yours, no matter what you think, do or say.

I do believe it's disrespectful to try to dictate how others should dress on vacation.  

If a hat bothers you, find a venue that doesn't have anyone wearing a hat.  If shorts bother you, find a space that there are no shorts being worn.  

I do draw the line at dirty fingernails, over powering cheap cologne and perfume, however.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hernando52 said:

DH has worn his kilt at Le Bistro without a problem.   But, he did have socks and closed toed shoes!  I've seen entire families in their pj's come down for the buffet breakfast...not my thing but if they want to do it, fine......

If they were at the buffet, they more than likely went up.

• Haha 2

I have a whole closet filled with suits, and even a tux.  Up until about decade ago, I wore them all weekly, mostly daily!

What I learned was regardless of the cost or cut of the suit, or the shine of their shoes, none of those were ever a good gauge of who the person wearing them was!

So, hard for me to see how it’s in any way important to wear anything that isn’t totally comfortable on a cruise ship, regardless of how “formal” someone thinks everyone should be!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

So, hard for me to see how it’s in any way important to wear anything that isn’t totally comfortable on a cruise ship, regardless of how “formal” someone thinks everyone should be!

I wonder if those of us who have spent our lives in business attire and worse, subjected to endless black tie events, are more likely to shun formal attire while on vacation.

• Like 2