School me on the ways of Terrace and Waves

LSuzQ

Please share your insiders tips on how not to be immediately identified as a clueless newbie when dining at the Terrace Cafe or Waves Grill. Must I study the menu before arriving? Is there a different expectation for dinner vs. lunch? Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LSuzQ said:

Please share your insiders tips on how not to be immediately identified as a clueless newbie when dining at the Terrace Cafe or Waves Grill. Must I study the menu before arriving? Is there a different expectation for dinner vs. lunch? Thanks in advance!

Waves menus does not change, so you can see it in Waves anytime.  I think it is also shown on your stateroom TV, but I'm not 100% sure.

The TC menu us posted online daily and can access on you stateroom TV, and the menu is posted outside the main entrance daily.

I'm not sure what you mean by different expectations for lunch or dinner.  What information are you looking for?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Waves menus does not change, so you can see it in Waves anytime.  I think it is also shown on your stateroom TV, but I'm not 100% sure.

The TC menu us posted online daily and can access on you stateroom TV, and the menu is posted outside the main entrance daily.

I'm not sure what you mean by different expectations for lunch or dinner.  What information are you looking for?

Waves usually does have a daily special. In the past, they’ve tried (and murdered) a Philly CheeseSteak sandwich.

The only big difference from the GDR or other venue dining is the casualness of the dress, which (depending on what/where you were doing prior to sitting down) can occasionally get out of hand with some folks not wearing (but definitely needing) a swimsuit coverup.

Remember, too, that Waves becomes a pizza place in the evenings. How’s the pizza? It depends on your frame of reference. If this picture looks at all familiar, then Waves (like so many pizzerias across the U.S.) will be a disappointment. That said, however, it’s passable.

IMG_5321.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, LSuzQ said:

Menu study: I like to look at the menu before entering (if not earlier) to narrow down options, but my spouse just goes right in to browse with no prior knowledge. I tend to get overwhelmed with too many choices while my spouse does not.

Lunch vs. dinner: The menus are different with lunch being slightly smaller selection-wise (although that may be a mirage due to the way the menus are presented). The lunch dress code is minimal (no swimsuits/coverups or bathrobes), but dinner is ramped up to "nice shorts" (vs. athletic shorts), etc.

I recommend familiarizing yourself with the placement of the stations. If you look at the Terrace sample menus on O's site, they are broken up into the stations. The station menus change daily, but their location stays the same in my experience. For example, on the lunch menu there is a "Cold Buffet" station which is my go-to station and I head there first to load up on composed salads; however, every once in a while there is not much at that station that appeals to me (or there is a different station that has something super yummy) so I'll head to a different station.

Also, you can sit in Terrace or Waves if the seating is limited in one location.

Bring something to leave at your table (e.g., a jacket, a book) so that when you go to get dessert/etc., the staff and other diners know you are returning.

Oh, and there is a menu above the desserts so you can match the name with the item.

And most important...the rotating ice cream/sorbet is different in Terrace and Waves with the previous day's Terrace selections usually being in Waves the next day (unless they are out).

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At Terrace cafe, there are servers who will place your requested items on a plate for you. Very few items (can’t think of any, but there might be one or two) should be handled by guests. Sometimes the server is not right at the spot where you need assistance, so you just wait a minute to catch their eye, and then they will come help you. 
When I walk into Terrace cafe, I look for a table where I’d like to sit and I “save” my spot by leaving some item on the table before going over to look over the food choices. I am hardly ever dissatisfied with the food choices. I think the “authentic English experience” was one. And, I skipped the Mexican offerings since I live in an area with an abundance of Mexican options…..everything else was great!

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You can order something at the Waves Grill and if you are sitting in the Terrace Cafe, a server will bring it to you there.  That makes it convenient if whoever you travel with is planning on eating in the Terrace cafe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They also have a grill with something different every day in the Waves Cafe.  If you're a couple or with a group they'll bring it into the TC if you wish.  Sometimes they have a really good main dish and you can get a salad either in Waves or TC.  Once on a southern European cruise they had grilled sardines.  I thought my husband's eyes were going to pop out of his head, He was very happy with the sardines which were not from a can but very large and I'm sure were bought locally.  Walk by and check it out daily, it's never advertised but you may find something you really like.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Thanks for the info. To clarify about lunch vs dinner, mostly whether dinner in TC is more of a “sit down first and order your wine” sort of place. That sort of thing.

Edited by LSuzQ
Grammar
  • Like 2

Okay, this is just my opinion but in the Terrace wine service is very slow.   We found it could take 15 to 20 minutes to get a glass of wine.  We like our wine with dinner, not after we've eaten.

We started eating in the dining room.  We had wine within minutes and great service.  If you want to eat and run then the Terrace is the best place for you.  We're on vacation and like to enjoy our meal even though it may take a little longer.  I will admit we eat later and don't attend the shows in the evening.  That may make a difference in what you prefer.

• Like 4

@LSuzQ

The TC, both inside or outside on the back deck, all meals, you can easily sit down and wait for a waiter to come by and take your drink orders. Sometimes we leave someone behind to place drink orders or hold the table while we are heading to queue up and order something from the Grill or at breakfast maybe an customized omelette or grilled lamb chops or Eggs Benedict, etc. At lunch there are always burgers,hot dogs, fish, etc available. Dinner is far more extensive. Often times at lunch we will get items from both Waves and TC. If creating a salad for a lighter fare, I will also have some salmon grilled to add to my salad. Of course you will have to test the Humphrey Slocumb ice cream, interesting combinations. 
Some folks love the outside dining so never eat in the GDR. All your choices. Sometimes it will make a difference depending on the ship you are on the menu. 

without a 10 day + sailing you will have a difficult time testing all the items in the restaurants that strike your fancy. 
Enjoy your cruise.

Mauibabes

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, iowananny said:

They also have a grill with something different every day in the Waves Cafe.  If you're a couple or with a group they'll bring it into the TC if you wish.  Sometimes they have a really good main dish and you can get a salad either in Waves or TC.  Once on a southern European cruise they had grilled sardines.  I thought my husband's eyes were going to pop out of his head, He was very happy with the sardines which were not from a can but very large and I'm sure were bought locally.  Walk by and check it out daily, it's never advertised but you may find something you really like.

Whether it's lunch or dinner, just sit down to get a table and let the server know your drink needs.  If alcohol is one, the server will summon the "sommelier" who will take your a wine or cocktail order.  We've never had a problem getting wine or cocktail service in the TC

Then go fetch your meal.  In the evenings, they put white tablecloths on the tables on our Sirena cruise last week.  The evening pizza option is not available on all ships...the Sirena did not have it.  Waves did have a Philly Cheesesteak on our cruise, and in spite of others' opinions, it was quite acceptable, except for the steak to bread ratio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Waves usually does have a daily special. In the past, they’ve tried (and murdered) a Philly CheeseSteak sandwich.

The only big difference from the GDR or other venue dining is the casualness of the dress, which (depending on what/where you were doing prior to sitting down) can occasionally get out of hand with some folks not wearing (but definitely needing) a swimsuit coverup.

Remember, too, that Waves becomes a pizza place in the evenings. How’s the pizza? It depends on your frame of reference. If this picture looks at all familiar, then Waves (like so many pizzerias across the U.S.) will be a disappointment. That said, however, it’s passable.

IMG_5321.jpeg

Last September on our Alaska Cruise Waves had two kinds of pizza at night, Margherita and Pepperoni. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I think the “authentic English experience” was one.

I am horrified at the thought of what foreigners might do to my culinary heritage. 

Staking your claim to a table in the Terrace is a necessity. Something draped over the back of the chair or napkin left on the chair seat are both good ideas. But they are not foolproof. On our last cruise, we had one occasion when another cruiser had not spotted the napkin or the unfinished rinks and had settled themselves on our table. And, on two occasions, we came back to the table with food, to find staff had cleared it and were in the process of resetting it. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Harters said:

I am horrified at the thought of what foreigners might do to my culinary heritage. 

Yeah, the “Toad in the Hole” left me thinking, “What the Heck?”

🤔

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Yeah, the “Toad in the Hole” left me thinking, “What the Heck?”

🤔

I assume it's possible to get a full English at breakfast.  My favorite (minus the sausage) passed down to me from my Leicestershire grandpa. 🙂

Just now, Kay S said:

I assume it's possible to get a full English at breakfast.  My favorite (minus the sausage) passed down to me from my Leicestershire grandpa. 🙂

Well, I “think” you can get the Full English at breakfast (what do I know!). My comment was about a dinner theme at TC…..

• Like 2

As one poster pointed out, but should be stressed. The one thing that will make you stand out as a newbie is trying to serve yourself. Oddly enough the salad station at Waves grill is self serve. 

Usually the two sections on each side of the grill will be repeats, with the extreme ends being different. Think carving station on one end, pasta on the other. Or maybe sushi on one etc. 

Here’s one for my Razorback neighbors to the south. 

IMG_1267.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kay S said:

I assume it's possible to get a full English at breakfast.

It isn't.  

But I had no thoughts that it would be. This is a ship catering to North American tastes and food expectations. Rightly so - North Americans have formed the overwhelming majority of passengers on our three cruises (one of which was a UK to UK one). 

15 hours ago, LSuzQ said:

@LSuzQ I read your first post and before I responded, I read all the responses.  I think you are looking for a strategy to approach these two dining venues.  Part of that strategy is how to gain a glass of wine with your meal in a normal time frame.  That is that take I have on your question.

My wife also drinks wine and likes it prior to the food coming.  Many here has said the wine service whether lunch or dinner is a bit slow at these venues.  That is you clue.  Here is the strategy my group used.  

We would go to an open bar, prior to lunch or dinner and get a glass of wine.  We would bring it into the two venues you indicated.  Same concept is for breakfast at the Main Dining Room but for coffee there.  We would go to the Barista, get the specialty coffee and bring it into the Main Dining room for breakfast.  That is what I mean for strategy.

As it relates to additional glasses of wine, I would find a server, explain we love wine with lunch and point to my table.  I also got to know the servers and on occasion, would tip them.  By the second day, the issue outlined of slowness was gone when they saw my party.  

The key to your question and the responses given by those that have cruised Oceania is strategy.  You handle and issue before it happens so it never happens to you.  Not knowing the issue or that it could be an issue leaves us open to possible disappointment.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

We would go to an open bar, prior to lunch or dinner and get a glass of wine.  We would bring it into the two venues you indicated.  

That works great except for one little detail…it’s requires having the full drink package. (Which you’ve mentioned you did)If you only have simply more with wine at lunch and dinner you are going to need to be seated in a dining venue. 

Drink well and enjoy every drop. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ORV said:

That works great except for one little detail…it’s requires having the full drink package. (Which you’ve mentioned you did)If you only have simply more with wine at lunch and dinner you are going to need to be seated in a dining venue. 

Drink well and enjoy every drop. 

@ORV You are right 100%.  Thank you for the clarification.  I should have said that in my post.  Thank you for your post. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Here’s one for my Razorback neighbors to the south. 

I guess the suckling pig was on one of the Terrace's Spanish nights. Whilst I accept that many dishes on the  ship will be tweaked (sometimes much more than a tweak) to suit customers' assumed tastes, I thought they did really well with traditional flavours on the "Taste of Spain" (or whatever they actually call it). The pig was exactly how they prepare and serve it in Mallorca - crisp skin, meltingly soft fat (and a good layer of it), sweet tasty meat. They'd also used sobrasada in a couple of tapes type dishes. In fact the various tapas were generally well done. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, LSuzQ said:

Hi, 

First off do not serve yourself, wait for staff to serve things to you, even individually played items like appetizers and desserts. 

Second the Terrace always has a grill, go ordered you grilled items, they will give you a number and you can come back to pick up hot items. 

Please use hand sanitizer machines. 

If they have Aquamar cafe you can order and have it delivered to Cafe, they will give you a number and find you when it is done. 

Always check out grilled fish selection normally really good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1