The “entitled” vs the crew

Hello Everyone!
We are coming up on the final days of our 14 day London to Oslo cruise on the Splendor and if the board audience will forgive me, I’d like to vent about some of my fellow passengers. I understand that Regent cruises are pricey and that certain expectations exist. This is our 4th Regent, third on the Splendor and all of these cruises have had one thing in common - the crew work their asses off! Perhaps because we’ve had more time on this cruise to interact with the crew and to see some of the passengers demonstrate incredibly boorish behaviour, I just felt it necessary to say, “who the heck do you think you are?” Believe me, I’m couching my language for the benefit of the forum, but geez, what’s wrong with these people? We are met with nothing but smiles and graciousness throughout our day despite the fact that these people are away from home, working long shifts with tough jobs, and are nothing but lovely. I can’t stand seeing fellow passengers treat the crew as underlings when we should do everything in our power to make their jobs more pleasant. The crew never responds inappropriately but boy, there have been a couple of times when I just wanted to slam a couple of passengers for their rude behaviour (I did with one “lady”) Thank you for allowing me my soapbox moment.

Kim

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8

20 minutes ago, exlandlubber said:

Hello Everyone!
We are coming up on the final days of our 14 day London to Oslo cruise on the Splendor and if the board audience will forgive me, I’d like to vent about some of my fellow passengers. I understand that Regent cruises are pricey and that certain expectations exist. This is our 4th Regent, third on the Splendor and all of these cruises have had one thing in common - the crew work their asses off! Perhaps because we’ve had more time on this cruise to interact with the crew and to see some of the passengers demonstrate incredibly boorish behaviour, I just felt it necessary to say, “who the heck do you think you are?” Believe me, I’m couching my language for the benefit of the forum, but geez, what’s wrong with these people? We are met with nothing but smiles and graciousness throughout our day despite the fact that these people are away from home, working long shifts with tough jobs, and are nothing but lovely. I can’t stand seeing fellow passengers treat the crew as underlings when we should do everything in our power to make their jobs more pleasant. The crew never responds inappropriately but boy, there have been a couple of times when I just wanted to slam a couple of passengers for their rude behaviour (I did with one “lady”) Thank you for allowing me my soapbox moment.

Kim

Some people think money = class.

• Like 2

I agree that the crew on the Splendor are amazing….hard working, warm and friendly and doing their very best. There are a few newbies on board and even the seasoned crew feel frustrated with them. Hopefully these newbies are on a learning curve and will soon fit into the regent ethos. 

• Like 2

I agree completely.

We have just spent 17 days on the Voyager. 
I would like to have taken an advertisement in Passages

Dear Valued cruisers,

As this is an all inclusive cruise and Manners cost nothing, please feel free to use them as often as possible.

• Like 22

100% agree. I have been known to say “PLEASE”  very loudly when some entitled {§&#*@} says “get me a…..” or “can I get…..” and “THANK YOU” when (not if) they don’t say it or even acknowledge the service. And as for clicking their fingers at the waitstaff, don’t get me started 🤬.

OK, rant over, my blood pressure has returned to normal again 🤨

• Like 13

It is especially awful when an entitled passenger has their panties in a wad about something.  On one trip on the Mariner a woman was screaming at the excursion staff to the pont that the manager came out to the desk when the passenger demanded to speak to the captain.  The manager was steely and looked her in the eye and picked up the phone.  The woman then backed down and stomped off.  I was next in line and apologized to the young man she was berating.  He was grateful for the support.  We are all human and we can be good, bad, or ugly.  Let’s all try to be good. 

• Like 4

Just wait until the rude people happen to be the friends you are cruising with!!! 😱

We went on Grandeur in Jan. and friends decided to join us (their first Regent cruise). Well turns out it had been a while since we cruised with them and they have become...."curmudgeons."  First, they only drink Chardonnay.  Not a big deal as Regent certainly has Chardonnay. BUT, apparently they only drink really cheap Chardonnay.  So...first dinner.. "I'll have Chardonnay."  Waiter goes and brings the wine "I don''t like this do you have another?"  Waiter brings bottle number 2 "I don't like this". Waiter brings bottle number 3 "I don't like this either."  ME (out of frustration with our friends) to the waiter "do you have a Chardonnay the comes in a box?"  Waiter just looks at me, ME: "Just kidding, bring the cheapest bottle you have." Waiter brings bottle number 4 "Ok..I like this." 

Anyway, cruise went downhill after that. And no, we didn't invite them on our next cruise.    

8f1df5fee5225b7293f06b484e430696.jpg

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 8
  • Haha 15

I guess part of it depends upon how you were raised.  I was taught to be kind and polite to both the crew and fellow passengers since we are all on the same boat.  Please remember to try to smile and e helpful even when you have problems with some of the crew members.  On my last back to back, there was a major change in crew at Rio and then the ship was full with many short cruise passengers.  It took several days for many of the new crew members to either learn or get back in the flow.  I had to help the person at the pool grille fill out the burger order and I gave up trying to explain well done tuna.  I a few days there were no problems and they would ask if I wanted what I ordered the last time.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scout16 said:

I guess part of it depends upon how you were raised.  I was taught to be kind and polite to both the crew and fellow passengers since we are all on the same boat.  Please remember to try to smile and e helpful even when you have problems with some of the crew members.  On my last back to back, there was a major change in crew at Rio and then the ship was full with many short cruise passengers.  It took several days for many of the new crew members to either learn or get back in the flow.  I had to help the person at the pool grille fill out the burger order and I gave up trying to explain well done tuna.  I a few days there were no problems and they would ask if I wanted what I ordered the last time.  

Most of Regents demographic are of an age that they were taught manners.  If not at home then in school.(Hard to imagine these days) Or the scouts.  Amazingly there is a great swath of our fellow passengers who have managed to un-learn the manners they were taught.  Same thing for Drivers Ed classes.....😱

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

Most of Regents demographic are of an age that they were taught manners.  If not at home then in school.(Hard to imagine these days) Or the scouts.  Amazingly there is a great swath of our fellow passengers who have managed to un-learn the manners they were taught.  Same thing for Drivers Ed classes.....😱

Guess they also un-learned basic hygiene like washing their hands after using the bathroom and not eating the food from the buffet while they are in the buffet line 😏

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lprp said:

Guess they also un-learned basic hygiene like washing their hands after using the bathroom and not eating the food from the buffet while they are in the buffet line 😏

What planet are these things from???

• Haha 2

Actual words I overheard at breakfast at La Veranda in July: "You don't have to have an attitude with me. I saw you roll your eyes. Now get me some HOT coffee."

This same woman was on one of our tour buses, and her sense of self-importance continued to stun.

There really are some nasty people out there. If you can't be happy on a REGENT CRUISE (!), then you're a deeply flawed individual. 

• Like 10

Our first cruise with Regent will be in 4 days time and I am really looking forward to the 'Regent Experience'.  However,  I do hope that we do not witness disrespectful and rude behaviour of any description towards the staff from any so called "entiltled" fellow cruisers - as my "stiff upper lip may very well become extremely flexible.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I have seen this behaviour and not only on Regent.  I intensely dislike the use of "I'll take a ..."  or "Gimme a..." with no please or thank you.   Once it got too much for me and when I was in line at the buffet at la Veranda and a person said that, right next to me I turned to him and said "you forgot the magic word" (which is what I used to say constantly to my grandchildren!).  He went scarlet.  And said somewhat meekly to the waiter "please"...   I know I shouldn't have done that but I couldn't help it...   

• Like 12

2 hours ago, JED1010 said:

Our first cruise with Regent will be in 4 days time and I am really looking forward to the 'Regent Experience'.  However,  I do hope that we do not witness disrespectful and rude behaviour of any description towards the staff from any so called "entiltled" fellow cruisers - as my "stiff upper lip may very well become extremely flexible.   

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I hope you will post about some fantastic experiences, tours or services during your cruise.

• Like 1

In over 20 years of cruising, mostly but not exclusively with Regent, it seems that almost every cruise has at least one nasty entitled passenger.
Of course, the staff and reasonable passengers soon know who these people are, and share experiences.  Often nasty nicknames are coined. I particular remember "Bunny" and "Popeye".
Perhaps the nasty individuals are actually shills, hired by the cruise line to give the passengers added entertainment?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I have seen this behaviour and not only on Regent.  I intensely dislike the use of "I'll take a ..."  or "Gimme a..." with no please or thank you.   Once it got too much for me and when I was in line at the buffet at la Veranda and a person said that, right next to me I turned to him and said "you forgot the magic word" (which is what I used to say constantly to my grandchildren!).  He went scarlet.  And said somewhat meekly to the waiter "please"...   I know I shouldn't have done that but I couldn't help it...   

I'm in your camp and I've reminded a few adults of the 'magic word" in the past! As my mother used to say "manners maketh man".

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I hope you will post about some fantastic experiences, tours or services during your cruise.

Thank you and yes I will share our experiences...the good, the bad and the ugly!

• Like 2

Has anyone seen the film Triangle of Sadness? It won the Palme d'Or at Cannes a few years back. About a pleasure cruise gone wrong, survivors end up on a deserted island, and the cream rises to the top, with some of the crew (who never spoke during the cruise) taking over. You never know who's intelligent (more so than many of the passengers), and their servile jobs don't allow for that kind of interaction. 

• Like 1

This topic makes me wonder about the Regent vibe in the future.  We have always cruised to see the world.  Ships names like Navigator, Voyager, Mariner resonated with us.  The Explorer didn't change anything but then The Splendor and The Grandeur.  And now the Prestige.  Sure, maybe the names don't matter but to whom is Regent trying to appeal?  And is the behavior described in this thread to become more "entitled" and common?  Hope not, as I am sure we all do.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, alainciao said:

This topic makes me wonder about the Regent vibe in the future.  We have always cruised to see the world.  Ships names like Navigator, Voyager, Mariner resonated with us.  The Explorer didn't change anything but then The Splendor and The Grandeur.  And now the Prestige.  Sure, maybe the names don't matter but to whom is Regent trying to appeal?  And is the behavior described in this thread to become more "entitled" and common?  Hope not, as I am sure we all do.

I've seen this kind of behavior for decades, and not just on cruise ships. I doubt it'll change much. There'll always be jerks out there. 

• Like 5

It's not just while cruising.

Headline in today's(Sept 2) Washington Post:

"Has everyone at work lost their minds?

Office etiquette seems to be off the clock, with people complaining about stolen lunches, spandex attire, a lack of hygiene and more"

Oh well, at least they didn't mention deck chairs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3