Is B.B. King's going away?

Iamthesea

I was looking at a cruise on the Rotterdam on the HAL site and the entertainment page no longer list B.B. Kings as an option.  A blues band were onboard our cruise in May on the Rotterdam.  Seems that I read somewhere that HAL could not use the name anymore. If this is true, does anyone know what will take the place in that venue?

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

My last cruise in August had no BB Kings and didn’t have BB Kings AllStars in the theater either.  I think the relationship no longer exists 

I'm pretty sure that's right. Edited to add, I thought that was true...

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

My last cruise in August had no BB Kings and didn’t have BB Kings AllStars in the theater either.  I think the relationship no longer exists 

Were you on the Rotterdam?

3 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Were you on the Rotterdam?

No. Usually on ships without BB Kings they offer performances in the theater for long cruises. I was surprised they did not. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

My understanding BBKing will still be on the Pinnacle ships, but gone from the Vista and Signature class ships, replaced by the Rolling Stones lounge.

That is what I have seen this year 

• Like 2

That's what I thought, so why I was surprised that it wasn't mentioned on HAL's website.  I cannot imagine what would take it's place.  We have not been fans of the RS Lounge or the Dueling Piano's (though I think they have now done away with the duo's.)  The single piano placer/singer we had on the Rotterdam in May was not very good.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

That's what I thought, so why I was surprised that it wasn't mentioned on HAL's website.  I cannot imagine what would take it's place.  We have not been fans of the RS Lounge or the Dueling Piano's (though I think they have now done away with the duo's.)  The single piano placer/singer we had on the Rotterdam in May was not very good.

The playlist is stale and most of the singers sound as if they never heard the music by the original artists.   They likely would be better if they had a nominal knowledge of the music. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The playlist is stale and most of the singers sound as if they never heard the music by the original artists.   They likely would be better if they had a nominal knowledge of the music. 

Having worked for Bill Graham (if you have to ask...) I think they do fine. But that said, the age of the current performers doesn't lend itself easily to having heard the original performances. Face it, we 60-70-80s rockers are getting old.

Of course, we just saw a few days ago the Beach Boys ( Mike Love the only original,  Bruce Johnson still plays, but he didn't join until 1965),  we see ELO in October (Jeff Lynde only original member) and and will see Burton Cummings (again,  if you have to ask) in January. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

Having worked for Bill Graham (if you have to ask...) I think they do fine. But that said, the age of the current performers doesn't lend itself easily to having heard the original performances. Face it, we 60-70-80s rockers are getting old.

Of course, we just saw a few days ago the Beach Boys ( Mike Love the only original,  Bruce Johnson still plays, but he didn't join until 1965),  we see ELO in October (Jeff Lynde only original member) and and will see Burton Cummings (again,  if you have to ask) in January. 

Bruce, they could easily watch a YouTube video instead they sound as if they have only heard the song on the elevator.   I heard McArthur park at least 5 times on my last cruise🙄.

on a side note a crew member did an outrageous Tom Jones tribute .  I am still smiling about that one. 

12 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

We saw Burton a Cummings last week he was still good. ELO played Vancouver a few days ago, a few friends went and loved it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I got you beat. I saw John Fogerty in June, and he was so happy as he finally now owns the rights to all those Credence Clearwater Revival songs he wrote. I saw Santana in July and Little Feat in August. Also have tickets to see John Sebastian in October. And all of these were at Bethel Woods which is located at the site of the original Woodstock concert which I attended in 1969.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I got you beat. I saw John Fogerty in June, and he was so happy as he finally now owns the rights to all those Credence Clearwater Revival songs he wrote. I saw Santana in July and Little Feat in August. Also have tickets to see John Sebastian in October. And all of these were at Bethel Woods which is located at the site of the original Woodstock concert which I attended in 1969.

Saw Credence Clearwater REVISITED several times pre Covid. That was an extremely ugly breakup. Haven't seen Santana since working for Bill Graham ( Bill managed them for much of their peak popularity). Yes, 1969, I was but a baby! Well, mid teens, but worked for Bill starting in 1976.

We were on the Eurodam in April. No B.B. King’s and no all stars. Band they had wasn’t even a good high school band. Lead singer butchered more songs than I could count. Female singer was passable, but no where close to the female singers from the all stars. Not sure who puts these groups together, but they need to be replaced.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Saw Credence Clearwater REVISITED several times pre Covid. That was an extremely ugly breakup. Haven't seen Santana since working for Bill Graham ( Bill managed them for much of their peak popularity). Yes, 1969, I was but a baby! Well, mid teens, but worked for Bill starting in 1976.

Yes, that was an extremely ugly breakup. Other than this summer and at Woodstock when Credence still existed, I saw John Fogerty once. It was the year that his Centerfield solo album came out. He was on a bill with Bonnie Raitt. I once read an autobiography by Fogerty. He was at a club with Dylan and Neil Young and was called on stage. He was still not singing any credence songs since the copyright rights did not belong to him. Then Dylan told him he had to because "people think Tina Turner wrote that song.".

I was 22 when I was at the Woodstock festival. Santana came on as the 3rd act on Saturday afternoon, and although basically unknown outside the West Coast (their first album had not been released yet), they totally energized the crowd.

Working for Bill Graham must have been a very interesting experience. 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, that was an extremely ugly breakup. Other than this summer and at Woodstock when Credence still existed, I saw John Fogerty once. It was the year that his Centerfield solo album came out. He was on a bill with Bonnie Raitt. I once read an autobiography by Fogerty. He was at a club with Dylan and Neil Young and was called on stage. He was still not singing any credence songs since the copyright rights did not belong to him. Then Dylan told him he had to because "people think Tina Turner wrote that song.".

I was 22 when I was at the Woodstock festival. Santana came on as the 3rd act on Saturday afternoon, and although basically unknown outside the West Coast (their first album had not been released yet), they totally energized the crowd.

Working for Bill Graham must have been a very interesting experience. 😊

In DC right now. Watched a documentary about Santana on the flight. A big chunk of it was the Woodstock break out for him. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

In DC right now. Watched a documentary about Santana on the flight. A big chunk of it was the Woodstock break out for him. 

I have seen that documentary, good stuff.

It is hard to imagine what an impression they made at Woodstock. Saturday's program was delayed starting by rain, and the first two groups really made no impression. And then this unknown band came on and literally blew everyone away.

BTW, one band member from that 1969 lineup and debut album was back with the group this summer, Chepito Areas on congas.

• Like 1