Anyone have experience cruising with Alpha-gal Syndrome?

Krap

Hello,

My mother will be taking her first cruise with me in January on the new Sun Princess and we are very excited! Unfortunately, during one of our camping trips this summer she got a tick bite and has developed Alpha-gal Syndrome. I have included the description of what that is below. My questions are does anyone have experience cruising with this and what would be the best way to ensure that she does not accidentally get served the wrong thing. She was interested in doing a pescatarian diet on the ship as well. Anyone with experience with that, I would love to hear about that as well. Thank you all for your help and happy cruising!  

What Is Alpha-gal Syndrome?

Alpha-gal syndrome (AGS) is a serious, potentially life-threatening allergic condition that can occur after a tick bite. It's named for a molecule, galactose-α-1,3-galactose, that's found in most mammals.

Symptoms occur after people eat red meat or are exposed to other products made from mammals. Because of this, AGS is also known as red meat allergy or tick bite meat allergy.

I don’t eat any mammals but am not sensitive to their byproducts.  I have never had an issue with getting ill on any cruise. I do eat animal by products, though.  
She has to be careful to ensure she gets the soy or oat milk if she adds that to her coffee.  She will be able to add some dietary restrictions to her app but also be sure she speaks with the restaurant manager.  They will always have a fish or chicken dish available but also make sure they leave the sauces off or order off the vegan menu.  It’s doable but she will have to be proactive with her own health.  

• Like 3

I have witnessed the dining room headwaiter meticulously reviewing every food item with a friend of mine who has an allergy. I was impressed with his thoroughness and have no doubt your mother will be well-accommodated on your cruise.

LOL, when I first read the title, I was afraid that you would be accompanying a female bully. 🙀

Happy cruising!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

order off the vegan menu

Exactly. And recently on most ships there's a choice!! Its not just 1 main dish, its choose between 1st courses, main courses, and desserts. I've posted several menus on this site as did others. The RED × on the menus I posted are what I ate. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 3

Eating in the MDR rather than the buffet can be easier, especially if she can’t tolerate any dairy products like butter or milk in baked goods. (A look online says that varies.)

• Like 1

Add her dietary needs on her app

It is easier if you take the same table/time in the same dining room each night.

The head waiter, will come over to your table each night with the next night’s menu and ask her what she wants to eat.  Can also order a special meal for dining room on port days when one dining room will be open.

Try dining room for breakfast. 

Mention your mom’s dietary needs when you first sit down.

At the buffet, ask for the chef and he will help find the correct food.

• Like 3

I have witnessed on all our cruises the galley staff come out with special menus and go over what the pax can eat for the next day's dinner in the MDR.  The next day the chosen dishes will be served to that pax followed by a visit from the galley staff to discuss tomorrow's night meal.  They are very helpful. 

• Like 1

@KrapYes, my adult grandson has Alpha-Gal syndrome and has had it for 10 years.  He and his wife took a cruise on the Grand Princess with me April 2023.  After having this for so long, he knows just what he can and cannot eat mostly.  He has found after a couple of years that he can eat very well done pork products and of course fish, shellfish and poultry.  The first night, we went into the dining room and told the waiter and he called over the head waiter.  We had already ordered when he came over.  My grandson explained what he could and couldn't eat and about cross contamination.  The head waiter checked what he had ordered and told him it was all OK.  We did not go into the main dining room every night but when we did, he rushed over and talked to my grandson about what was OK for him and what was not.  If we had gone every night, he was prepared to show my grandson the next night's menu and let him know what was OK for him to order ahead.  Everyone was very good about it.  The only places that presented a problem were the buffet but if he had a question, there was always someone who came to answer his question.  One place that was very problematic was the grill up by the pool.  The first day, we sought out someone that would know about cross contamination about cooking the burger patties and the chicken for the chicken sandwiches on the same grill.  We were told that they did not cook them on the same grill. Then a few days later, my grandson ordered a chicken sandwich and while he was standing there waiting, he noticed the cook putting the chicken right next to the hamburger patties on the grill.  We talked to the supervisor and were told that it wouldn't happen again.  But we did not go there after that except for french fries.  He mostly ate cheese pizza and at the buffet after that if we didn't go to the MDR..  So based on our experiences, the MDR was great, pizza OK, buffet very good but questions sometimes need to be asked.  The grill, I would definitely watch the grill person to make sure.  It really wasn't as much of a problem as I had anticipated and we had a wonderful time.  Of course, he always carried his epi pens.  You say she wants to do a pescatarian diet and she should have no problem with that.  Always, seafood on the menus but still advise the main dining room staff/dining room manager and buffet chef to make sure that the item wasn't cooked right next to any mammal meat or cooked in animal fat.  Have a wonderful time..

• Thanks 1

To add on about the buffets:  you want a chef with one of the tall hats to be confident in trace ingredient / cross contamination answers.  

It’s pretty easy to be pescatarian on Princess.   My only wish would be for a seafood option at all of the Lido Deck grills, 

• Like 3

On 9/3/2024 at 2:46 PM, Teechur said:

I have witnessed the dining room headwaiter meticulously reviewing every food item with a friend of mine who has an allergy. I was impressed with his thoroughness and have no doubt your mother will be well-accommodated on your cruise.

LOL, when I first read the title, I was afraid that you would be accompanying a female bully. 🙀

Happy cruising!

I thought the same.  😊

You would know better than us, but poultry reportedly does not contain the alpha gal carbohydrate.

Edited by djmont