Anyone used to sleeping with a fan? What's your solution?

JWMid1

I have a cruise with Princess coming up later this year (first cruise in nearly 15 years) and it just occurred to me that I may have an issue with not having a fan. I use a ceiling fan and a tower fan (mostly for noise) every night when sleeping at home. Traveling usually presents a challenge as the only way I've ever had a ceiling fan is by selecting an AirBnB with ceiling fans.

I can't imagine I'm alone in my need for air movement and noise.

What is everyone else doing to get a decent nights sleep when cruising?

I bring a fan.  I have two travel fans:  Vornado FIT Personal Air Circulator Fan, Aqua which is a small regular plug in fan that folds so it takes relatively little space and the Quiet Desk Fan, Moucit 4-Inch USB Small Table Fan with Twin Turbo, 2 Speeds and Pivoting Head Personal Electric Fan for Office, Home which is charged or runs like a phone, so I plug it into a phone charger and place it on the nightstand.  Both are great.  The first is stronger, but if I'm flying I bring the second, smaller one because I also get hot on planes.   

If it's about the noise, there are apps for that.  I need the blowing air and don't travel anywhere, cruise, hotel, flight, etc., without a fan.

Edited by Kerry's Girls

I purchased a tiny Babelio "white noise machine" from Amazon that's about the size of a golf ball. I haven't used it on a cruise yet but noticed that it sounds a bit tinny.

I also bought a small fan at Target which plugs into a USB port and was only $7.99.

I will have better advice after cruising with these items. 😜 

• Like 1

I always bring my portable fan.....never had a problem except once boarding in Vancouver, security tried to take it away . I told her it was for medical purposes and she allowed me to keep it...

• Like 2

I have used this fan (Viniper Portable Rechargeable Fan, Small Desk Fan : 3 Speeds & about 8-24 Hours Longer Working, 180° Rotation, Portable Fan Small but Mighty, Strong) when I travel for years.  It is small but powerful with 3 speeds and rechargeable so you don't have to worry about keeping it plugged in next to your bed.  I also use an app called Sleep Machine (for my iPhone).  Free app that offers lots of different types of sounds.  I have never had any problem flying or cruising with a fan.

I also travel with a small fan. I had to bring an extension cord when I cruised on the Regal Princess as there are not plugs beside the bed. That fan has really saved me a couple of times while travelling to hot destinations. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bosswench said:

I bring a 4" USB fan.  It's tiny so doesn't take much space in my suitcase and very powerful.  About $10 on Amazon.

yep, we take 2 of those - I use a fan as a fan, not noise - also ceiling and tower fans at home

• Like 1

Husband cannot sleep without a fan, so we bring a desk fan and an extension cord (that we unplug and stow every morning so as to not interfere with the steward walking around in the cabin).   Never had an issue.

Saying thanks to the OP for posting this thread and to @voljeep for mentioning tower fans. Prompted me to work on our tower fan that loudly and annoyingly beeps. Found a Youtube video yesterday on how to remove the speaker from the fan. Just the pleasant rush of air sound now. Supposed to be 108F here today.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2024 at 7:27 PM, Teechur said:

I purchased a tiny Babelio "white noise machine" from Amazon that's about the size of a golf ball. I haven't used it on a cruise yet but noticed that it sounds a bit tinny.

I also bought a small fan at Target which plugs into a USB port and was only $7.99.

I will have better advice after cruising with these items. 😜 

I use the same white noise machine on all my cruises (and at hotels). It's great! Uses a USB cable to charge and can hold a charge while running all night long, so you don't have to keep it plugged in while running, which is nice for flexible placement in the room.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7S213SX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: I should mention my husband and I usually sleep with two fans on in our bedroom at home, thus the need for white noise.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I use the same white noise machine on all my cruises (and at hotels). It's great! Uses a USB cable to charge and can hold a charge while running all night long, so you don't have to keep it plugged in while running, which is nice for flexible placement in the room.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7S213SX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: I should mention my husband and I usually sleep with two fans on in our bedroom at home, thus the need for white noise.

The white noise machine that I use (Post #9) works well but is twice the cost of the one you use.  At that price, I am going to get one as a backup, or to have two at the same time.  I use a white noise machine at home and have done for many years.  They have been invaluable at times when traveling and staying in hotels or on a cruise.  Thanks for the link!

19 minutes ago, TAW1963 said:

The white noise machine that I use (Post #9) works well but is twice the cost of the one you use.  At that price, I am going to get one as a backup, or to have two at the same time.  I use a white noise machine at home and have done for many years.  They have been invaluable at times when traveling and staying in hotels or on a cruise.  Thanks for the link!

I recommend buying the case as well. I didn't have a case for mine at first and it would sometimes get switched on inadvertently inside my backpack as I was traveling.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I bought it based upon your earlier recommendation and will try it out in our hotel 2 nights from now, then on our Alaska cruise starting Sunday. We use fans at night, as well. 

Thanks again!

1 minute ago, Teechur said:

I bought it based upon your earlier recommendation and will try it out in our hotel 2 nights from now, then on our Alaska cruise starting Sunday. We use fans at night, as well. 

Thanks again!

I hope it works well for you!

I use a free fan app too. Works great! Just have the phone charging overnight while running the app or you'll run the battery out and lose your fan noise in the middle of the night and have a dead battery.

Edited by Auntiejo