The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 7th, 2024

Today is Grandma Moses Day, Grateful Patient Day, and International Day of Clean Air For Blue Skies

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve – Bilbo, The Fellowship of the Ring

Meal Suggestion for today - Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Drink of the Day - Lemon Drop
Wine of the Day - Ruffino-Riserva-Ducale-Chianti-Classico
Destination of the Day - Souda (Chania), Greece

Today in History:
1822 Pedro I, son of King Joao VI declares Brazil's independence from Portugal (National Day)

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Seattle, Washington

0700-1500

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Vancouver, Canada

0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada

eta 09-08

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia-Rome

Amsterdam, Holland

0700-1700

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska

eta 09-08

Oosterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens

Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey

0700-1800

Rotterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Rotterdam

Reykjavik, Iceland

0800-ovn-

Volendam --- 10 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston

At Sea Destination Halifax, Nova Scotia

eta 09-08

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska

1000-1500

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Skagway, Alaska

0630-2100

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City

Boston, Massachusetts

0700-1500

image.thumb.png.0a7ef5c362111369ac21959e920cfe98.png

image.thumb.png.abcceb7e4525e8ec6b389cf07104cc42.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 23

Thank you!!  

Great Days to celebrate and fun quote!!

Never really thought about making a Chickpea salad...  I've made three bean (and even more bean) salad -- but never thought of that as a sandwich spread...  curious!!

Lemon Drop -- I love the candy...  as a cocktail, I'm sure it'll be tasty!

I see the word Chianti...  must be a good wine!

And I'll enjoy the photos of Greece!

Prayers for all in need and even for each of us with some need we have!

Have a wonderful day!!  It's Football season...  College and Pro and of course in the schools...  

• Like 30

Good Saturday morning friends!  The weather is 65F currently and we expect light rain early, and a partly cloudy afternoon with a high temp of 86.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for your Fleet Report and Daily info.  I’m grateful for good old Grandma Moses and excellent medical care.  Who wouldn’t like clean air and blue skies?  I’m not familiar with the characters of Lord of the Rings nor their quotes.  I’ll just say no to chickpea salad sandwiches.  I’ve heard Dailyites discuss Lemon Drop martinis but don’t drink them, nor the Chianti.  I’m sure Brazilians were happy to achieve independence from Portugal in 1822.  Thanks to Eva @superoma, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your food and beverage reports.

Prayers for our Care list folks including Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Ann and Pat, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Terri and Jim, and Bruno.  Also my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine and the hostages who still remain held, and the men and women of our military in the danger zones.  I don’t want to forget all those who lost their loved ones this week due to school shootings.  How they get these guns in the schools should be looked into. I hope the wounded people are improving and at home again. 🙏  Hoping all with special occasions to celebrate and cruises to experience have a wonderful time. 🚢🎂 Thank you again Vanessa @JazzyV!

The port of the day is Souda-Chania, Crete, Greece.  This was the port before on June 20, 2022 and Dec. 19, 2023.  This is a Greek port I haven’t experienced yet.  I’ll post the links for you and hope you can show us your photos and describe your experience there.

Have another great weekend everyone!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Happy Saturday.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and rainy here, it feels like fall.

Three good days to celebrate.

Good quote, I liked Bilbo.

I'll pass on the meal.  Yes to a Lemon Drop on a BHB.  Yes to chianti.

I've never been to today's port, but I'd love to visit.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations, no matter how small.

Have a terrific day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

While checking the Daily info this morning I discovered many days to recognize on September 7.  Some of you may approve! 

National Beer Lovers Day

Buy a Book Day

International Bacon Day

National Hummingbird Day

National Salami Day

National Tailgating Day

So get your beer, bacon and salami ready, and buy a book to take to your tailgating party.  Hopefully a hummingbird will make an appearance!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 7

Lemon Drop cocktail:

The Lemon Drop first squeezed to life in San Francisco sometime during the 1970s. Its inventor, Norman Jay Hobday, an out-of-work Vietnam vet turned saloon owner, is also credited with opening the country’s first fern bar, a concept that mixed house plants and Tiffany lamps with throngs of upwardly mobile urbanites.
Both were an instant hit. And for two-plus decades, the Lemon Drop dominated cocktail menus from North Beach to Bangkok, hooking a generation of bar patrons on its boozy-tart-sweet mélange of vodka, citrus and sugar. In 2006, Oprah famously served one to Rachael Ray on her show, which is like the ultimate nod of widespread acceptance and further solidified the drink’s place in popular culture.
Ingredients
2 ounces vodka
1/2 ounce triple sec
1 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 ounce simple syrup
Garnish: sugar rim
Directions:
Coat the rim of a cocktail glass with sugar and set aside (do this a few minutes ahead so the sugar can dry and adhere well to the glass).

Add the vodka, triple sec, lemon juice and simple syrup to a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.

Strain into the prepared glass.

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 6.15.12 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care List:

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR, in the hospital on IV abx, PE

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie with breast cancer, more surgery 9/9

Families of those killed & injured in GA school shooting; Maryland school shooting

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Vict0riann’s DH Pat needing heart valve surgery

Vict0riann’s cleaning lady Leanne dx’d with esophageal cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Luvteaching (Karen)!

Welcome back Crazy for Cats!

Welcome back Dfish!

Welcome back Sharon in AZ!

Ger_77’s DH getting a good report at the cardiologist, cruising in February

Denise T submitted her dissertation to her committee for review

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

Superoma covering meal of the day for dfish

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Luvteaching (Eurodam to Sept 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, Tbay (Volendam to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 22

Good morning to all Dailyites.  Happy Saturday.

It looks like we are going to have more rain today so it is another day for inside projects.

Thank you to Sandi for taking over for Rich and keeping the Daily and Fleet Report going.

Thank you to Vanessa for keeping up with all our Cares and Celebrations.

Thank you to Eva, Dixie and Ann for keeping us fed and hydrated.

Interesting quote.  

I have not been to today’s destination.

Welcome home to @dfish, @Crazy For Cats and @Sharon in AZ

Not much to report.

Hope everyone has a good day.

God bless.

Terri

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi. It is gorgeous outside after a wild night of T-storms, but little rain. And though there was a bit of water over the road, there was none of the flooding that Daytona -to the South is dealing with. 

Vanessa, thank you for capturing and sharing all of our moments. Praying that the light headedness soon disappears, too. 

Gym, Bindi walks, yard work - if weather permits. Even if I just get out & dead head things. Supper at a friend’s this evening. 

IMG_2116.jpeg.acc911ec13382dc35015ea0b318956fb.jpeg

IMG_3358.jpeg.5fe42ab1d682d7813efa324a2c1f59af.jpeg

IMG_2025.jpeg.0a160e05192f7250d49144a33a0419ec.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying that Tana’s Feisty Factor is off the charts today. Praying that Terry has an uneventful day. Prayers for Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Melisa & DH, Annie & Chuck, Pat & Ann, Jacqui, Tony, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers.

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Ruffino-Riserva-Ducale-Chianti-Classico

I apologize for the fuzziness of the info below, but for some reason I could not copy & paste the vintner’s info sheet. So this is a screenshot. But this easy to find Chianti has lots of fans. Online prices start at$19.98.

Winemakers notes

IMG_3361.thumb.jpeg.7ce515dede56e277820325be52d2abd4.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning. I haven’t been able to post for a few days but have some help this weekend. I also had to see two different docs to see what could be done about a painful left hip. 
If I made chickpea salad I think I would be the only one who would like it and/or eat it. Meals have been quite haphazard here but we didn’t starve.

Sandi, Happy Belated Anniversary to you and Dennis. I hope you enjoyed your lunch out.

Bon Voyage to Karen!

Take care everyone 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  A chilly 40 degrees and 66 indoors.  We are having our first fire in the wood stove right now.  Grandma Moses should be recognized.  I'll celebrate Sandi's addition of hummingbirds.  I am amazed we still have the here in the north as of yesterday.  Way too early to unpack that quote.  I look forward to photos of today's port.  Pass on the chickpeas, would try a Lemon Drop and love Ruffino Chianti. Thanks for researching these for us each day ladies.  Thanks for the daily and maps Sandi and Rich. 

Vanessa thanks for the cares and celebrations reports.   Prayers for everyone in our group who are ailing or grieving including Tana and Terry,  Chuck and Annie, Terri and Jim, Melissa, Bonnie, Sandi's DB, Pat, Ann and Jacqui.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  

My DB is still on heparin, they decided to let the clot dissolve instead of the invasive procedure.   I wonder if that stupid idea was because he was staying too long for his first diagnosis.   I don't know if he will have surgery on Tuesday if he remains in heparin, unlikely.  

Another cold, windy day here but things should dry out so I can get some outside work done.  Lots of good college football to watch today while inside warming up.  Have a nice Saturday. Nancy 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Happy Saturday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Starting to get hot again. Last blast of summer. Today's plan is that me and my sister are going shopping for the cruise and our nephew's wedding. After that who knows. Football season has started (college and NFL). Eagles won, yay! And my undergrad team, the Ursinus Bears won, yay! Fancy just does not like it when we cheer. We will take her to the park tomorrow for a nice long walk. 

Bon Voyage to @luvteaching!

Goodbye Cat: Funny Bon Voyage Paper Card

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day.

I ️ Saturday. Especially when I can just hang out and chill with my ...

• Like 25

Thank you Sandi, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. I haven’t been able to post for a few days but have some help this weekend. I also had to see two different docs to see what could be done about a painful left hip. 
If I made chickpea salad I think I would be the only one who would like it and/or eat it. Meals have been quite haphazard here but we didn’t starve.

Sandi, Happy Belated Anniversary to you and Dennis. I hope you enjoyed your lunch out.

Bon Voyage to Karen!

Take care everyone 

Terry, thank you!  Yes we had a very nice lunch, and we still have our steak dinner to look forward to this evening.  I hope the two doctors were able to help you with your painful hip.  I'm so glad to hear you have more help this weekend.  Thinking of you and Tana both, and hope it's a good day there.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1