Ben & David Epic

swjumbo

I think they are a bit spoiled traveling on the newest ships.  I had to laugh when David said the ship looked so mid 2000's.  The ship was designed in 2008 if not earlier and debuted in 2010.  They were expecting a new ship?   I notice something on the many cruise vlogs that I watch and that is lines for the bar.   I have not cruised lately but its ridiculous to wait 25 minutes for a drink while at a bar.  The bartenders are making 20 drinks at one time.  Way understaffed and its not just Epic that I saw this.  However I hope they can see the good things about Epic because her venues are very large and better than the scaled down versions of the newer ships.  The newer ships have all this outdoor space which makes the inside of the ship and its venues so much smaller.  Epic may not have a Waterfront but the venues cant even compare to the newer ships.

If anything I hope Ben and David can shed light on the French Onion Soup scandal and hope they are successful in finding cookies.  I look forward to their next video.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 5

Just Sailed on the NCL Star last month and was on Prima Last year. Both Northern Europe / Transatlantic and had a blast. It wasn't like this. 10 min wait for Drinks or a Table max. Prima was definitely more crowded than the older ship though.

I think the problem with overcrowding is down to it being August in Europe. Schools and businesses in some European countries shut down for a month during the summer. This would account for the 'Loud' behaviour and excessive drinking as there would be a lot of European multi-generational families on board. Mediterranean is also insanely popular and is always overcrowded in August. Avoid peak season!

Shame to see this, if I had their experience It would defiantly have put me off NCL and Cruising in general but as long as NCL fill the ship they'll charge what people are willing to pay. I'm glad Ben and David are getting the message out there so people can avoid this Ship. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Just Sailed on the NCL Star last month and was on Prima Last year. Both Northern Europe / Transatlantic and had a blast. It wasn't like this. 10 min wait for Drinks or a Table max. Prima was definitely more crowded than the older ship though.

I think the problem with overcrowding is down to it being August in Europe. Schools and businesses in some European countries shut down for a month during the summer. This would account for the 'Loud' behaviour and excessive drinking as there would be a lot of European multi-generational families on board. Mediterranean is also insanely popular and is always overcrowded in August. Avoid peak season!

Shame to see this, if I had their experience It would defiantly have put me off NCL and Cruising in general but as long as NCL fill the ship they'll charge what people are willing to pay. I'm glad Ben and David are getting the message out there so people can avoid this Ship. 

We don’t shut down for a month,…. We shut down for 6 weeks 😀👍🏼.  “Happy holidays” 

Edited by Manchester is blue
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If you watich their video from last week, they mention that the YouTube algorthim is set so that the more negative a video is (and especially the clickbait titles) the higher it scores and moves to the top of the viewing que. That's why you see so many dramatic titles from many vloggers, in all catagories...to pull you in and for them to make more money.

They are playing the game, and playing it well,  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, debenson0723 said:

If you watich their video from last week, they mention that the YouTube algorthim is set so that the more negative a video is (and especially the clickbait titles) the higher it scores and moves to the top of the viewing que. That's why you see so many dramatic titles from many vloggers, in all catagories...to pull you in and for them to make more money.

Thats true but if you watch the video they dont seem happy with the ship.  Took 22 minutes to get a drink, they show poor maintenance, and highlight other issues they don't like.

But its sad that we have become a society that thrives on beat downs and drama.

• Like 6

If it took 22 minutes to get a drink, that's on them. There are so many bars on a ship and if one is busy, just move on to another one. 

And yes, ships do require regular maintenance and upkeep but I would imagine that could be difficult at times when they are sailing full every week.

It's no secret that they do not care for the NCL brand. If it's not Disney or one of the new RCL ships, their reviews tend towards the negative. They are also not big fans of MSC either and there are a lot of people on this board who enjoy sailing them. I think you have to take all of these vloggers 'reviews' with a grain of salt because, again, they are in it for the money and not necessarily the experience. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Soot on the deck has been a problem for quite some time on the Epic.  She is waaaay overdue for a refurbishment since the one they did in 2020 was the Haven area only.  It's my understanding the Epic will be undergoing a revitalization in the spring of 2025.

I'm looking forward to Ben and David's next video where they will talk about their balcony cabin.  The fact is the cabins are a bit smaller than the other ships and the wave wall make it feel even smaller.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Any reaction (good or bad) is beneficial.

49 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

It's no secret that they do not care for the NCL brand. If it's not Disney or one of the new RCL ships, their reviews tend towards the negative.

I am sailing on Disney Dream right now. It’s my first cruise outside of NCL in over a decade. It’s also the first night and I already miss NCL. The cabins on all my NCL ships are more upscale and functional and they still do the traditional muster drills. What a cluster that was after it was all said and done.  I am doing a live blog in their forum if anyone cares for a read.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been on epic twice and both times were at reduced capacity, but it still felt crowded in areas due to poor design. The box office area in the middle of the elevator banks is dreadful. There are other choke points on several decks. Most of my complaints about Prima were the same issue.

A lot of the Epic hate also comes from the cabin design, which I don’t think is as bad as people make it out to be. 

• Thanks 1

I have sailed the Epic 4-5 times and do like it (I realise it's a love-it or hate-it ship), and the last time I sailed her (march of last year, repo San Juan to NYC) she was not in such a poor state.  What they showed in the video looked pretty darn rough.   

• Like 3

please dont listen or pay attention to anything anyone else says, especially 2 guys on you tube.

the credibility that someone gives to opinions on social media from  unknown people amazes me.

we've been on the epic twice. 1 st time in an aft suite. the layout was poor, but the cruise was great. other than the bed taking  up the entire cabin, and the shower/toilet arrangement, i had nothing to complain about. the 2nd time we had a 2  bedroom  haven suite, and loved it.

just go and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 6

I too sailed the Epic for the first time (I’m platinum on NCL so not my first time with the line) in April. It was a TA and not at full capacity but as stated above, it felt much more crowded than say, the Prima at full capacity.  There was nowhere to just hang and play cards for example.  The staff was overworked and although I read all about the weird cabins, I was not prepared for their layout.  I could go on, but let’s just say, she was a one and done for me.

• Like 3

Watched the video soon after they posted. Epic is not that old, but looks beat to hell. Sail on older Royal and Celebrity ships than Epic and they look brand new compared to Epic. Deck loungers on upper decks with dry rotted mesh is crazy. Long lines can't be fixed as it was a poorly designed ship and NCL was smart to cancel her sister ship.. Just insane to see the faded signs and artwork on her upper decks, closed off steps, trash left behind. Is NCL struggling so much after covid to stay in businesses? Looks like it to me how neglected Epic is.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Pat.D said:

I have sailed the Epic 4-5 times and do like it (I realise it's a love-it or hate-it ship), and the last time I sailed her (march of last year, repo San Juan to NYC) she was not in such a poor state.  What they showed in the video looked pretty darn rough.   

Just like SS Norway with NCL. You either loved or hater her. Agree the newer Epic is in the same love/hate category.

• Like 2

Just got off the Epic two days ago. A 10 day Greek Isles sailing. Did a 16 day TA sailing on the Epic in Dec., 2023. No problems with this ship on either sailing. NEVER waited in line for more than 5 minutes for a drink, and usually not that long. While she is not my favorite ship, I would have NO problem sailing her again, given the right itinerary!! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

I was on Epic's Maiden Voyage and it was crap then, as it is now!

Before you say I'm not a solid cruiser, I've been on 10 Transatlantics: with the Adventure of the Seas being the first, a month before Epic.  Since 2010, I have 40+ cruises and am a Diamond Plus, with Crown & Anchor, Royal Caribbean. 

Before you accuse Ben and David on hating on NCL, remember they loved the much older Norwegian Spirit. 

This seems to be an issue with the ship itself. The design is poor (why a giant photo and art gallery and tiny bars and entertainment venues? no wonder the ships feels overcrowded), the engine was faulty during their cruise, and the outside decks are very dirty and worn down. The latter two problems could be fixed with an extensive dry dock and refurbishment. 

I found the review informative because it lets me know not to book the Epic until NCL put in the work to make it nicer for everyone, not just the Haven guests. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, complawyer said:

please dont listen or pay attention to anything anyone else says, especially 2 guys on you tube.

the credibility that someone gives to opinions on social media from  unknown people amazes me.

we've been on the epic twice. 1 st time in an aft suite. the layout was poor, but the cruise was great. other than the bed taking  up the entire cabin, and the shower/toilet arrangement, i had nothing to complain about. the 2nd time we had a 2  bedroom  haven suite, and loved it.

just go and enjoy your cruise.

I actually do pay attention to these guys as does the cruise industry.

They were invited to MSC Cruises HQ a few months ago to advise them on social media policy.

Looking at the reviews here it appears B&D got it right.

• Like 2

I called it out on these boards a few years ago - and some people defended the condition of the Epic at the time/were happy to accept the condition and suggested I was being overly critical. Others shared my surprise and disappointment.

Based on the video and recollection of my own experience, Epic is really poorly maintained which is a shame as have never seen this with any other ship in the NCL fleet (including much older ships). It's almost like they have given up. Too many things to cover but it's not a good advert for the ship. But, for as long as people are willing to pay to go on Epic, NCL don't have any incentive to do anything about it.

Edited by Captain-John
  • Like 2

When I first posted on this thread it was Sunday afternoon and I was skipping through parts of the video because their videos can be sort of long.  Last night in bed I watched on my TV.  OMG what happened to Epic?  The pool deck has lots of broken chairs, its filthy, and many things faded and broken.  It looks almost like a joke.  The glass elevator on deck 15 looks like its windows have not been cleaned in 10 years. None of this is acceptable for the guests. I have never seen such a major cruise line have one of its ships in such disrepair.  Clearly the reviews lately are correct, the ship is dirty and broken in many places. Hopefully this video will get the attention of NCL because the condition of that ship is disgraceful.

Those that know me around here know I am a big defender of the Epic and hope to sail her again someday.  I would never book this ship like this.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1