Jim_Iain - Live - comparison of Oceania Regatta - Vista Suite to Celebrity Millennium Royal Suite

Jim_Iain

1 minute ago, hcat said:

don't iron much at home anymore.. and  not interested in a laundry ..nice for those who want it....but how's the gym?  walking track? spa?

I haven’t enjoyed chatter in a laundry since I was in halls of residence at University 50 years ago…Come to think of it it wasn’t my favourite meeting point then…

Where else can the knowledgeable recommend as a good social venue on board…

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, cluso said:

We are on Regatta now in an aft concierge balcony with no noise issues.  I believe most of those complaints were on Vista.

This is good to know.  

Thanks for the reply and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cluso said:

We are on Regatta now in an aft concierge balcony with no noise issues.  I believe most of those complaints were on Vista.

What would you guess the average age of the guest is?  On the one Oceania cruise we went on it was quite old, I was a baby in my mid 60s.  Thanks

2 hours ago, Robkat said:

Someone reporting from the Vista commented that they could actually hear talking quite clearly from the next cabin.  

Could you (and anyone else who has been on O) let us know your thoughts and experiences on that issue? 

Thanks and thanks also to @Jim_Iain for this great review.  Hope you and Iain continue to enjoy yourselves.

We have been on Vista and never heard anything from our neighbors on either side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't iron much either but some do. The launderettes are very useful on longer cruises.

Trust me, there are plenty of opportunities to socialize onboard in all the regular venues. Happy Hour is very popular as are the Welcome/return guests/first time guests parties. There are also lots of activities every day: trivia, wine tastings, ping pong tournaments, cooking classes, speakers, etc. I saw a group of ladies either doing needle point or knitting. Some people prefer reading (sometimes with their eyes closed) in the library. However you like to socialize, you should find a way.

I've only been on the Vista and the Riviera. The gyms are well equipped although not as big as on Celebrity. The machines usually work. No walking track is better than on E class ships. On the bigger Oceania ships, the tracks are on the deck above the pool. Due to the size of the ships, they're not as long as the ones on Celebrity ships. As far as the spa, we never use it but it seems that the typical treatments are offered. Steam rooms and saunas are accessible to everyone. For people in Concierge class and above (or for a fee for lower classes), there is an outside area forward of the spa where there are lounge chairs, hot tubs, and a therapy pool (Vista and Riviera). There is not much shade however. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2024 at 9:13 AM, hcat said:

Jim.. are you still walking daily?  How does that work on this ship,?

Have you been to the gym?

Yes we have been getting our walking in.   It has really been easy when we have ports as we almost always walked 10-15,000 steps.    The have a nice walking track but the weather has not been very cooperative so the hallways are a good alternative. 

I usually don' t use the gym anymore.   I use to use the Elliptical but haven't used mine at home in a couple years. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2024 at 3:57 AM, catspaw1 said:

Agree Orville that there's lots of Fed plans to choose from. We like KP however last year our monthly premium increased $150 month. We  have been with them for almost 15 years. If the plan increases a lot for next year, we will seriously think of changing plans.

I hate to admit it but I have no idea how much we pay.   I have spousal benefits and Iain does all the arrangements and payments.   I guess I've had Kaiser for about 26 years and really like it.    In addition to the Large facility in Santa Clara we have a Clinic in Mountain View.    It's a very small and intimate clinic with Eye Exams and Glasses, Lab Work, Pharmacy and Injection Clinic.     I believe they also have some Doctors offices but no emergency services. 

It is only a block away from where my Starbucks is (1/2 way point of my walk).    It is really nice as there are rarely any lines or wait.    I have one prescription that require me to pickup as it is a controlled substance ---  I just order it online and when ready they text me..

• Like 1

On 9/24/2024 at 9:22 AM, Justpackingmybags said:

Another of Julian Fellowes’ series (the man behind Downton Abbey)

Iain had mentioned that and said there were some similarities between the two series.     I will admit I haven't seen one as of yet.    I think I've made it through 5 minutes before drifting off to sleep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/24/2024 at 9:39 AM, catspaw1 said:

I agree your posts about Oceania makes it tempting. But we never go for suites. Any feedback about how the OV or balcony cabins are?

I've spoken to a number of people and they love them.    The one thing that is really noticeable is the Inside, OV and Balcony get almost everything that suites get with the exception of a larger room and a butler.  

I definitely think I would be comfortable in any of them but Iain insist on upper suites...

His standards have always been high.   Reminds me of a story his father told me.     When Iain was about 10 he ran away from home and his father was alerted when the nicest hotel in town called him to tell him Iain was trying to book a room.    

• Haha 18

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes we have been getting our walking in.   It has really been easy when we have ports as we almost always walked 10-15,000 steps.    The have a nice walking track but the weather has not been very cooperative so the hallways are a good alternative. 

I usually don' t use the gym anymore.   I use to use the Elliptical but haven't used mine at home in a couple years. 

we are big gym users.. sadly my cataract surgery has  made us lose alot of gym time.. We like most the weight type  machines  but  are also trying to walk outdoors daily. Dr says that's the best for overall health.  Weather is good now in NY.   We  have a raised ranch stye home and go up and down stairs all day long!

Use it or lose it!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Do you know if they are on every floor or select floors? My wife is more interested in the irons/ironing boards as we find on Celebrity with the laundry it comes back very wrinkled and the dry cleaning pants/shorts have no creases (pressed flat).

On Regatta there is only one on the ship.   I understand from others on the other 2 classes of ship there is a laundry on each floor. 

You are correct that on Celebrity the free bags are just wash and fold while the paid laundry and the Free for Upper Suites and Zenith they come back on hangers and are nicely pressed.    Since we get free laundry and pressing I usually send out my sports jacket (linen/Silk) as soon as I get on the ship.   We all kno

• Like 4

Another difference with Oceania is their Loyalty Program.   It works similar to how Celebrity was in "the old days".     You accumulate credits by the number of days of the cruise regardless of what type of room you book. 

Personally as an upper Suite cruiser I think there should be some type of additional reward points.    To be honest.... we are not longer interested in Loyalty Programs and will not be a consideration in our bookings.

image.thumb.png.6ef7182da1a2c3baf802b955de6078cd.png

Unlike Celebrity they have 6 levels so it is easier to work your way up than the big jump between E+ and Zenith.

image.thumb.png.3dbf0e1d90cd7516d9189e0f4cdfaa0e.png

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/oceania-club-benefits

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

For the average, normal passenger on Oceana the food is much, much better on Oceania.    You also get a smaller ship and are able to dock at more remote islands.   Comparison between Celebrity balcony and Oceania balcony is not apples to apples.

The brochure starting prices are bogus.   I have never seen that high a price for Oceania.   Even sailing from NYC there is no way a balcony cabins goes for $37K.    Perhaps for the one Jim has but that is a top suite.   You receive very little extra in a top suite on Oceania.

No... Even our suite was nothing close to $37K.    The price came in at $19,765.   We felt it was comparable to many suites we have booked on Celebrity.    It is actually about $4,000 less than we payed for a CS on the Edge 3rd leg of World Cruise...  they really screwed us on that one and dropped the price $6,000 after final payment... really left us feel ripped off.

That had a bearing on booking with Oceania. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

We have been on Vista and never heard anything from our neighbors on either side.

Thanks for replying.  

One of the reports we'd heard was from a couple on the Vista, who were in a Concierge balcony on deck 10.  They seemed to indicate that while they could hear talking from the next cabin quite clearly, that they had heard that it pertained only to certain specific cabin areas on that ship.  Other people, who'd sailed on other O ships, chimed in and mentioned a similar issue.

So hearing your experience on that ship is heartening and helpful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I definitely think I would be comfortable in any of them but Iain insist on upper suites...

His standards have always been high.   Reminds me of a story his father told me.     When Iain was about 10 he ran away from home and his father was alerted when the nicest hotel in town called him to tell him Iain was trying to book a room.    

My wife and I are wondering if Iain had a handkerchief tied to a stick for his belongings?

Great story, we got a good laugh. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

I'm fussy with laundry & usually hand wash if no machines. The only time I sent out laundry was in SE Asia as we were there for 6 weeks. No one had dryers so they just hung the clothes out to dry so I felt comfortable doing that. I'm staying in a residence inn right now & they have self serve washers/dryers. I only dry clothes on low for a few minutes & than hang to dry. Only some items do I dry all the way in a dryer. Our expensive travel clothes have held up doing this & we travel a lot. Leaving in 10 days for a 2 week stay at a residence inn in GSMNP area - they have washers/dryers which we will use.

When in a suite in Singapore we had a washer dry combination that really doesn't try your clothing but need to be hung to dry.    The humidity was so high I had to resort to using the hair dryer to finish off their drying.  

As a matter of fact the humidity was so high some of my prescription drugs became soggy and would almost fall apart.  

Ok now a nit picky difference but makes the difference between a budget line and a upscale line.   Recently on Edge class ships in Asia the Q-Tips they supplied are less then Dollar Store quality.    the shaft was plastic and was so weak I couldn't even clean my ear with it bending link a wet noodle.    After the first set of cruises out of Singapore I brought my own for our next B2B. 

Oceania have high quality Q-Tips and are wrapped in cellophane 2 per pack.    Small item but makes a difference if you want to sell you self as a Upscale line vs bottom of the rung.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SSFrance69 said:

We had a regular veranda on Riviera and it was lovely. Very spacious and the bathroom was huge with an oversized walk in shower and plenty of storage, both cabinets and drawers. It used to have a full size tub and a small walk in shower, but during the renovations, they replaced the tub with the oversized walk in shower and replaced the small shower with storage. Unfortunately those renovations did not happen on the sister ship Marina, which we have not sailed. On Vista we had a French Veranda. It also had a very spacious bathroom and the room was spacious as well. Both staterooms had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on, apart from my tempurpedic at home. That said, I've heard the smaller O ships have tiny bathrooms unless you're in a PH or above. 

One guest on my Oceania trip report said his was so small that at 6'3" was difficult for him to get in and shower.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robkat said:

Thanks for this really descriptive and useful information about various balcony cabins.

While reading this interesting @Jim_Iain review, our interest in O has been re-newed.  However, we would also be happy enough with the balcony cabins.

When researching and watching reviews, one thing that we've read a couple of times is the report of the sound insulation between cabins being pretty bad.  Someone reporting from the Vista commented that they could actually hear talking quite clearly from the next cabin.  

Could you (and anyone else who has been on O) let us know your thoughts and experiences on that issue? 

Thanks and thanks also to @Jim_Iain for this great review.  Hope you and Iain continue to enjoy yourselves.

I can tell you that we haven't heard anything from our neighbors.   We have neighbors on two sides.    I did notice that the TV's volume is set so not to allow very loud volume.    Not sure if that is true of all other rooms.

The one in the living room mounted on a wall adjacent to a neighboring  cabin seems to be lower --even if you try to crank it up.    It also has a soundbar but haven't noticed any base coming out of it.

I've heard that the Vista is the only class ships that the noise complaints have been been brought. 

Iain enjoys listening to Gary Benbridge   reviews on YouTube.    We looked at all of his reviews and found them to be very accurate and not one to blow his own horn.

He did not enjoy Vista due to the sound issue and said he would not sail her again.   Worth taking a watch

Pros and Cons of cruising on Oceania

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Robkat said:

Thanks for this really descriptive and useful information about various balcony cabins.

While reading this interesting @Jim_Iain review, our interest in O has been re-newed.  However, we would also be happy enough with the balcony cabins.

When researching and watching reviews, one thing that we've read a couple of times is the report of the sound insulation between cabins being pretty bad.  Someone reporting from the Vista commented that they could actually hear talking quite clearly from the next cabin.  

I can tell you that we haven't heard anything from our neighbors.   We have neighbors on two sides.    I did notice that the TV's volume is set so not to allow very loud volume.    Not sure if that is true of all other rooms.

The one in the living room mounted on a wall adjacent to a neighboring  cabin seems to be lower --even if you try to crank it up.    It also has a soundbar but haven't noticed any base coming out of it.

I've heard that the Vista is the only class ships that the noise complaints have been been brought. 

Iain enjoys listening to Gary Benbridge   reviews on YouTube.    We looked at all of his reviews and found them to be very accurate and not one to blow his own horn.

He did not enjoy Vista due to the sound issue and said he would not sail her again.   Worth taking a watch

Pros and Cons of cruising on Oceania

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hcat said:

don't iron much at home anymore.. and  not interested in a laundry ..nice for those who want it....but how's the gym?  walking track? spa?

The gym looks decent... walking track is decent if the weather cooperates.  We don't do Spas so will leave that to the seasoned Oceania members.

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

I haven’t enjoyed chatter in a laundry since I was in halls of residence at University 50 years ago…Come to think of it it wasn’t my favourite meeting point then…

Where else can the knowledgeable recommend as a good social venue on board…

Probably the best would be the Martini Bar.    Also at any of the activities.   I'm sure you could always ask to join any of the Brain Teaser Groups.   I find that it is a good idea to join the Roll Calls and get to meet some of those on your cruise months in advance.    I think we have met about 6 from our Roll Call.   All have been great about answering questions in advance.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Oville said:

What would you guess the average age of the guest is?  On the one Oceania cruise we went on it was quite old, I was a baby in my mid 60s.  Thanks

When the cruise first began I would have said over 70 but now would say 60's.     I have seen 3 families with small children a hand full of Tweens.

I was surprised at immigration check there was a huge line for Non-US / Canadian residents.     No line what so ever for the U.S.    May just have been our allotted floor time.    Many Australian, New Zealand guests. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hcat said:

we are big gym users.. sadly my cataract surgery has  made us lose alot of gym time.. We like most the weight type  machines  but  are also trying to walk outdoors daily. Dr says that's the best for overall health.  Weather is good now in NY.   We  have a raised ranch stye home and go up and down stairs all day long!

Use it or lose it!

Luckily we have nice weather in the SF Bay Area.  I walk daily - rain or sunshine.   During the winter I usually wear a Puffer to get started and it often comes off after I get warmed up.    Usually for rainy weather I have a waterproof slicker and carry an umbrella. 

The toughest for me is when we have 85+ temperatures (rarely) most of the time summers are 65-75 and Winters 45-50 F

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

My wife and I are wondering if Iain had a handkerchief tied to a stick for his belongings?

Great story, we got a good laugh. Thank you for sharing.

LOL... of course not he had a small suitecase in hand.   Hearing his father tell the story had me in stitches.  As is true of many Scots -- his father was a great story teller. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6