The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 11th, 2024

Today is National Day of Service and Remembrance, Patriot Day, and Remember Freedom Day

The man who has no inner-life is a slave to his surroundings. - Henri Frederic Amiel

Meal Suggestion for today - Salmon Couscous Salad
Drink of the Day - Elvis
Wine of the Day - 2020 Riesling, Zeltinger Schlossberg Kabinett, Selbach-Oster, Mosel
Destination of the Day - Coquimbo (La Serena), Chile

Today in History:
1914 W. C. Handy "Father of the Blues" publishes his most famous composition "St Louis Blues"

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Sitka, Alaska   0800-1600  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Glacier Bay, Alaska   0700-1600  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
Juneau, Alaska   1000-2130  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia-Rome
Bilbao, Spain   0800-1700  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Skagway, Alaska   0700-2100  

Oosterdam --- 11 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Barcelona
At Sea Destination La Valletta, Malta   eta 09-12  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Rotterdam
Stornoway, Isle of Lewis   0800-1700  

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal
Portland, Maine   0700-1600  

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
At Sea Destination Kushiro, Japan   eta 09-17  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Vancouver, Canada   0700-1600  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island   0900-1800

image.thumb.png.cf92fd2ead2a9eea3ae5f92427af7e82.png

image.thumb.png.d5a92e370097d213c2beb2be44c0abb8.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 27

Good morning friends!  This Wednesday in September is starting out at 64F.  It will be mostly cloudy today and we will experience of high of only 79 degrees.  Today is 9-11 Day.  I want to be sure to never forget the horrific events of September 11, 2001, and hope others never do either.  I send prayers for all who were lost and their families who still mourn them.🙏

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report info for all the Daily fans.  Several days of recognition to help to recall how much we love our country.  I can’t think about the quote this early.  I probably wouldn’t try making the meal suggestion, wonder what an Elvis cocktail will be like, and are equally confused by the name of the wine!  Help me Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard!  And thank you for your great reports.👍

Prayers today for my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our men and women in the military on bases and at sea far from home.  Of course, many prayers for our Daily Care list especially Roy, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Ann and Pat, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB Nick, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Vanessa, Terry and Jim, Bruno and even one for me.  I hope Pat hears good news from the committee on the TAVI.  And Vanessa good luck with the doctor and getting help with the leg pain.  But on the other hand, many are celebrating special events today, preparing to cruise and actually cruising! 🚢 Enjoy your day! 🥂 Thanks to our friend Vanessa @JazzyV for all the work she does every day keeping tabs on all of us.🥰

The port today is Coquimbo (La Serena), Chile.  Even though we’ve seen this port here 3 times already (Oct. 13, 2021, Oct. 28, 2022 and March 16, 2023), some of our newer Daily fans may not be aware of that.  I’ll post the links now so that former posts can be moved here for your enjoyment.  My photos are coming up next.

This afternoon I have some tests and hope they rule out anything not so great.  It will take a few days to hear.  The results will determine what if anything is done next.  Keep those prayers coming!  I’m not going to let anything mar my DGD’s wedding Saturday, even if a hurricane/tropical storm reaches the Ohio Valley and rains on her day. We will have at least one umbrella with us.  To everyone here, stay safe and keep well.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 15

We stopped in Coquimbo, Chile on two of our South America cruises.  Once in 2012 on Star Princess and again in 2015 on Ruby Princess. 

Coquimbo, Chile on March 5, 2015, Star Princess circumnavigation of South America.  Arrival at the pier and a group of dancers to entertain us.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcKxpIA7aYElBU-YT5nI_q?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216663

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIN2-p3rJZsJoSDWXGvqfN9?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216669

From the ship you could walk through a small marketplace set up for the tourists.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKjeaYEKb6aLpP6UFZlk3xD?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216672

Just offshore this seemingly abandoned boat, except for the birds aboard.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJkzeYtdBMM1CymkKnA_AKn?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216676

Besides birds there was plenty of other wildlife hanging around looking for a handout.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrbN4IrOaOz-uFbmHaLk6S?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216690

Local fishermen checking their nets.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKxvbx_cZdJIN89hu_mwpzs?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216698

The result of those nets00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKwtqKa7iUWSnTmOdFFddUX?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216700

This mom was happy to show off her chubby-cheeked baby.  Awww!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKSPFaseTKbblvf3TRvZjz5?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216718

On our walk back we noticed the sidewalk area was decorated with these designs.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJVxJZcYUbPnIQwntbCoI6i?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216720

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIvKJAC1Y_pTOloUD-DqPce?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216720

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJSl3KjmAeCQeIVmIB_VdoF?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216723

This cross on the hillside is called the Third Millennium cross.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKId-ayjZIDUxovBQnm3i2i?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216735

Our 2012 trip to Coquimbo on Star Princess included a shuttle bus to drive us to the La Serena area.  When we were dropped off it was rather quiet but things moved along as the morning went on.  Our friend who was also on this cruise looked hard for a place to make a phone call to her mother who was not in the greatest health.  She eventually found a place where you could rent a computer or place phone calls using her calling card.  At that time a lot of us didn't have cell phones with international calling plans.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNswgGTnV3IqerWu36mMu4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643714

You can see how deserted the streets and parks were. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJX783n4lTiwsn59hV48bt4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643715

An interesting modern-art type fountain with figures.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL6GVUYISlYqd1c99otj-tC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643726

We decided the gardeners here didn't want their flowers eaten by hungry marauders and placed sticker bush branches over them.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKSNScOLmzNM42PAxL6XrdC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643730

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJkbwS06O9C3Woy3MV_VV1I?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643753

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLzP9LC4jLhhss8LsUGEcJM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643764

I've checked and this date was a Sunday, so perhaps everyone was already at church.  Or sleeping in.  As we walked to the market near the Plaza de Armas we noticed most of the pedestrians looked like tourists.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKlB4leZeNnr9vb3Wx0a03u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643781

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ-CwvkoJxjTIfAHrk5WfPq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643794

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJtWgQKGX7zL9tmOTOwAhyC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643799

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJbDkznfm5wDFZk8ElpgyTy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643788

After our excursion to the shopping mecca, we arrived back at the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKGKmhqSl2IFYSBbWai_H-x?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643833

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLAFOCFaHQ4JIZQ4nONFsFR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643823

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2sOZMs6HP3SaRJsTk1BpS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643836

An interesting spot to explore while visiting South America.  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for today's daily reports Sandi.

It's a lot cooler and raining here at the moment.

3 important days and interesting quote.

I will give today's food a miss.

Never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 for all on the care list and everyone who is unwell.

Best wishes for a nice day for all.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Remembering September 11, 2001 and all the lives lost

StLouisCruisers with a health issue

Cruzin Terri’s PMR flaring up again

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR, in the hospital on IV abx, PE

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie with breast cancer, post surgery 9/9

Rafinmd (Roy) in the hospital with vertigo, probable rehab after discharge

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Vict0riann post breast cancer surgery, to have radiation therapy

Catmando’s cancer advancing, hoping to try a new drug

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kazu moved into new home

Jodi58’s new grandchild Thomas, born 9/7!

Ger_77’s DH getting a good report at the cardiologist, cruising in February

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Luvteaching (Eurodam to Sept 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, Tbay (Volendam to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 25

I knew before I looked this cocktail up that it would have peanut butter and banana flavoring.

Elvis cocktail:

Pay homage to the King of Rock 'n' Roll with the "Elvis" cocktail, a lip-smacking libation that captures the spirit of Elvis Presley's iconic style and flavor. This delightful drink combines the richness of peanut butter with the sweetness of banana and a touch of decadent cream, creating a sip that is both nostalgic and indulgent. Inspired by Elvis's legendary taste preferences, the Elvis cocktail is a perfect companion for moments of musical celebration and pure enjoyment. Served in a stylish glass, it exudes an air of rock 'n' roll flair and timeless cool. Whether you're hosting a themed party or simply want to channel the energy of Elvis's charisma, the Elvis cocktail is the perfect sip to add a touch of rock 'n' roll charm and boldness to your experience.

Ingredients:
1 oz. heavy cream
1 oz. peanut butter whiskey
2 oz. banana liqueur

Directions:
Rim the edge of a stylish glass with crushed graham crackers by moistening the rim with a banana slice.
In a cocktail shaker, combine the banana liqueur, peanut butter whiskey, and cream. Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds to blend the ingredients and chill the cocktail.
Strain the mixture into the prepared glass filled with ice and garnish the Elvis cocktail with a banana slice or a drizzle of peanut butter for a playful and indulgent finishing touch.

Screenshot 2024-09-11 at 6.19.53 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 20
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!!  Twenty three years ago, we experienced a different kind of day than we will today... (I pray).  And our named days today, reflect the pondering and thoughts of it.  I usually donate blood on this anniversary -- but I did that last week, when they were asking for volunteers.

I worked in Investments in 2001.  We were affected with the Stock and Bond Markets that was closed, unprecedently closed for many days!  The world was affected with planes grounded, events cancelled, and people just feeling numb and affected.

God Bless the USA!!

The meal, I'd try.

Drinking banana and peanut butter, I'd try.

A Riesling, I'd try!

Chile, never been there...

Prayers remembering events of the day and families affected, and for this world to learn and get back to being a caring place, with the teaching of right and wrong, with consequences for our actions.  Prayers for all those listed by name and reason and for those who have a need, but have not mentioned it... 

Have a wonderful day!!! 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good (1:45) in the morning Dailyites from the beautiful Westerdam. 

Something woke me with a start and I'll be back to bed in a moment. I had dinner in the MDR alone while Allen watched the debate. Later we went to Lido and he had a bite to eat.

My sister texted she is feeling better, just anxious for her test results.

Sandi I hope your tests come back OK and pray whatever it is can be fixed. Prayers for Roy, Tana,  Annie and Chuck, Jacqui and our friends and family here that need an extra boost.

I'll never forget September 11th. A horrible day for America. 

We will be sailing for awhile towards Japan, so nothing on land to report!

Have a blessed day. Be kind.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

A solemn day for remembrance of a horrific sum of events which shocked our nation to the core.  National day of service is an important way to remember that day.  A good quote, so many people are sheep.  We have been to Coquimbo in January on the Grand South America on the lovely Volendam.  I'll pass on the salmon, banana cocktail but love Kabinett Reisling.  Thanks for researching these for us each day.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for Roy that he continues to improve.  Prayers for Sandi that you can get your test results quickly and a good diagnosis.   Continuing prayers for Chuck and Annie, Terri and Jim, Tana and Terry, Bonnie, Melissa, Pat, Sandi's DB,Ann and Jacqui and those ailing or grieving.  Prayers for the families of the victims of 9/11.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  

My sister went to see my DB yesterday and talked with Nick's care team.  The reason they are sending him to rehab is they are so short staffed that he is getting no PT so he is regressing in hospital.  The story is he still has the pulmonary embolism but no infection.  My sister begged them to release him tomorrow so she can make sure they have a bed big enough for him as he is tall and heavy.  The rehab is a good one but sadly it is on the far side of Kalamazoo.  

I got a lot accomplished inside and out yesterday and just when I had enough and stowed my tools John told me rain was due in 18 minutes.  We had a good 40 minutes of good rain and a little thunder.  More of the same today but seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  Have a nice day! Nancy 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  I was at work in an office tower in Boston 23 years ago.  When we were being evacuated I was in the elevator with folks who had colleagues who worked in the World Trade Center and were inconsolable.  I’d like to forget this day, so much tragedy.

If inner life in the quote means imagination then I agree with it.

The meal sounds like a healthy one and the drink sounds like dessert, I wonder how they would pair?

I haven’t been to today’s port.

Prayers to ease the suffering of those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

My original comments went poof, so I'll try again.

It's cool here this morning, only 7C (45F) when Bertie and I went for a walk.  Fortunately, it's supposed to be a sunny 26C (79F) this afternoon.  I hope to visit mum this afternoon.

A day that we will always remember.

A quote that I will have to think about.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink, hope the wine will be fine.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Happy Hump Day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Never Forget. 

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi - for Rich! Praying that all is well with you. 

Well the rains finally seem to be slowing down a bit. I saw stars last night & this morning, and I even saw the moon behind a thin layer of clouds last night. I have no clue where all the water has gone. Whoever designed my community did an excellent job. 

Vanessa! I am so sorry to read about your leg pain. I pray that the doctor can figure this out. Fast. And permanently. 
Thank you for keeping up with all of us. 

Just a normal Wednesday for me, except I will be booking my flights for Egypt today. They need to be fully refundable, but the prices keep going up and will soon be outside of the limit I set for myself. So today is the day. 

Any of you familiar with Heathrow airport - is 2.5 hours enough time to get from terminal 5 to terminal 2? I would like to avoid hiring a “concierge” to manage my connection for me, but I have never flown into or through Heathrow before. Their website makes the connection sound so easy. 😎

The third in our Denali NP sign series…

IMG_3374.jpeg.9d02151a631871e9bf5218a695b4ce73.jpeg

IMG_3409.jpeg.3fd677f34bb60a2dc10bb56ccc9feb70.jpeg

IMG_3379.jpeg.a4e327b10266e1157157127db972ad8a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying for Tana, Terry & DB, Bonnie, Melisa & DH, Chuck & Annie, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Roy, Jacqui, Sandy, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. 

Where is @Nickelpenny?

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2020 Riesling, Zeltinger Schlossberg Kabinett, Selbach-Oster, Mosel

Another lovely German Riesling, that is fairly easy to find and reasonably priced. I had to look up “botrytized” - to deliberately cultivate a gray mold on grapes to enhance the sweetness of certain wines. And we can drink or hold this one! Online prices start at $26.97.

Distributor notes

Mosel Valley Nectar: Indulge in the luscious sweetness and vibrant acidity of this Auslese Riesling from Selbach-Oster. This 2020 Zeltinger Schlossberg bottling boasts a symphony of ripe stone fruit, honey, and spice, with a lingering minerality that reflects the unique terroir.

REVIEWS

James Suckling

96 Points, James Suckling, JamesSuckling.com: "Do yourself a favor and sit down with this very sensual riesling! A stunning Mosel Auslese that proves these wines can be really stunning drunk young and have great aging potential. Very long, cool and crisp finish. Drink or hold." 

94 Points, Jean Fisch and David Rayer, Mosel Fine Wines: "The 2020 Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Auslese was made from slightly botrytized fruit and was fermented down to sweet levels of residual sugar. It offers a beautiful nose of white peach, cassis, elderflower, and a hint of whipped cream and a touch of apricot blossom. The wine has a nicely creamy feel of apricot and fine herbs in the long finish. 2030-2050" 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 3

We visited Coquimbo on January 19, 2023, our first stop in Chile on our circumnavigation of South America.  I hope that they offer that cruise again in the future.  We had no shore excursions so we shared an Uber and rode to the lighthouse on the beach.  It was holiday break for most of our cruise so the pretty resort area was busy.  We decided to walk to the Japanese Gardens about 15 minutes walk away.  Great plan except since it was holiday season so getting a return taxi to the cruise terminal was a brief scare as they were all full.  Finally a driver promised to return to pick us up.  The gardens were beautiful. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230119_165924782.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230119_114931326.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230119_115411893.jpg

IMG_20230119_115440329.jpg

IMG_20230119_174625030.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

I knew before I looked this cocktail up that it would have peanut butter and banana flavoring.

Elvis cocktail:

Pay homage to the King of Rock 'n' Roll with the "Elvis" cocktail, a lip-smacking libation that captures the spirit of Elvis Presley's iconic style and flavor. This delightful drink combines the richness of peanut butter with the sweetness of banana and a touch of decadent cream, creating a sip that is both nostalgic and indulgent. Inspired by Elvis's legendary taste preferences, the Elvis cocktail is a perfect companion for moments of musical celebration and pure enjoyment. Served in a stylish glass, it exudes an air of rock 'n' roll flair and timeless cool. Whether you're hosting a themed party or simply want to channel the energy of Elvis's charisma, the Elvis cocktail is the perfect sip to add a touch of rock 'n' roll charm and boldness to your experience.

Ingredients:
1 oz. heavy cream
1 oz. peanut butter whiskey
2 oz. banana liqueur

Directions:
Rim the edge of a stylish glass with crushed graham crackers by moistening the rim with a banana slice.
In a cocktail shaker, combine the banana liqueur, peanut butter whiskey, and cream. Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds to blend the ingredients and chill the cocktail.
Strain the mixture into the prepared glass filled with ice and garnish the Elvis cocktail with a banana slice or a drizzle of peanut butter for a playful and indulgent finishing touch.

Screenshot 2024-09-11 at 6.19.53 AM.png

Very easy to order and receive this drink. Make sure when shaken, move those hips vigously. And when you receive this drink, say, “Thank you, thank you very much!”

• Like 6
  • Haha 16

Good morning.  This is the latest update from Roy, and it was sent about  an hour ago.

I slept pretty well last night.  I expect sometime today to be transferred to University of Maryland Kernan Rehab Center on the side of Baltimore closest to me.

Lenda 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 28

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

This is truly a day we will never forget. I still remember getting ready for work when something caught my eye of the television, and I stopped to look. It took a while for my brain to comprehend. 

Not a whole lot planned for today except the usual class work and clients.

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with those who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day.

Happy Wednesday Meme You're Halfway There | Funny wednesday memes, Cat ...

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1