The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 12th, 2024

Today is National Day of Encouragement, National Hug And High 5 Day, and National Just One Human Family Day

Into each life some rain must fall. - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Meal Suggestion for today - Copycat Panera's Tomato-Basil Soup
Drink of the Day - Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - SIMI Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
Destination of the Day - Tadine, Mare, New Caledonia

Today in History:
1940 Four teens, following their dog down a hole near Lascaux, France discover 17,000 year old drawings now known as the Lascaux Cave Paintings

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Ketchikan, Alaska   0630-1300  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
Skagway, Alaska   0530-2100  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia-Rome
La Coruna, Spain   1000-1800  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Juneau, Alaska   0800-1700  

Oosterdam --- 11 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Barcelona
La Valletta, Malta   0800-2300  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Rotterdam
Kirkwall, Scotland   0800-1700  

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal
Saint John, New Brunswick   0700-1430  

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
At Sea Destination Kushiro, Japan   eta 09-17  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
At Sea Destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska   eta 09-13  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City
At Sea Destination Quebec City, Quebec   eta 09-13

image.thumb.png.bf90c80693711422aaabe1bb9c74ce7e.png

image.thumb.png.ed243a4da4364445b82c94b2e868ef00.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 27

Today’s Care List:
StLouisCruisers with a health issue

Cruzin Terri’s PMR flaring up again

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR, in the hospital on IV abx, PE

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie with breast cancer, post surgery 9/9

Rafinmd (Roy) discharged to rehab

JazzyV in hospital with cellulitis

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Vict0riann post breast cancer surgery, to have radiation therapy

Catmando’s cancer advancing, hoping to try a new drug

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday to puppycanducruise’s DM!

Kazu moved into new home

Jodi58’s new grandchild Thomas, born 9/7!

Ger_77’s DH getting a good report at the cardiologist, cruising in February

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for St Pete Cruiser (Serenade of the Seas Sept 18 to Sept 22) 4d Caribbean

Luvteaching (Eurodam to Sept 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, Tbay (Volendam to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 27

Good morning friends!  Looks like Georgia will see some rain today.  Current temp is 65F and cloudy.  It will rise to 72 with intermittent rain, so a good day to stay inside and get things done.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily information.  I like each and every one of the days of recognition this morning.  All seem to lean positive.  A true quote by Longfellow.  The meal suggestion sounds good, but I don’t drink Old Fashions or red wine.  What excitement among those four French teens in 1940 discovering the cave paintings!  Thanks again to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your F&B reports!

Prayers for our Daily Care list especially Roy, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Vanessa, Ann and Pat, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB Nick, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Terry and Jim, and Bruno.  Also for my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held and the military members in the region.  I’m glad Roy @rafinmd made it to rehab yesterday and hope Vanessa @JazzyV is released from the hospital today.  For those celebrating special events, cruising and preparing to cruise, best wishes to you all and bon voyage!  We’re celebrating that DGS Ren was chosen as a National Merit Semi-finalist.  It will be a few months before we find out if he makes finalist.  How does Vanessa @JazzyV do it all?  She is already awake and posting the lists for us!  Thank you so much Vanessa!!

The port today is Tadine, Mare Island, New Caledonia.  We haven’t been to New Caledonia before.  The previous Tadine dates are June 22, 2021, Sept. 10, 2022 and July 18, 2023.  Here are the links for your convenience.

Today will be busy gathering our clothing and packing for our trip tomorrow.  I will be posting extra early on Friday (2 hours?) so please look a little further down the page if you are one of the earliest posters. I hope everything goes smoothly, and that we don’t have to fight big rain storms as we begin our trip.  Hope you all enjoy your Thursday!   Stay safe and keep well.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11

Old Fashioned cocktail:

The old fashioned is a cocktail made by muddling sugar with bitters and water, adding whiskey or sometimes brandy, and garnishing with an orange slice or zest and a cocktail cherry. It is traditionally served with ice in an old fashioned glass.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz Bourbon or Rye whiskey
1 Sugar cube
2 dashes Angostura bitters
Few dashes plain water

Preparation: Place sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitters, add a dash of plain water. Muddle until dissolved. Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whiskey. Garnish with orange slice, and a cocktail cherry.

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 6.18.19 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 18

Good morning and thank you for the daily/fleet report. How nice that all of the days are so positive - wishing that was the norm everywhere. The meal sounds wonderful, as I love a good tomato basil soup! Never had an old fashioned but I'm thinking it would take more than a sugar cube to make bourbon or whiskey palatable to me. Pass on the wine, am interested to see more about the port.

It'll be another hot humid day here in Florida. After work a couple co-workers and I will be attending a wine class at Total Wine. Another co-worker had to back out, so DH will take her spot. It's wines from Napa Valley, and their classes are always good.

Hope everyone has a lovely day today!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's mum's 87th birthday today.  I made a carrot cake for her, she loves the cream cheese frosting.

It's another cool morning here, only 8C (46F) but it's supposed to warm up to a sunny 28C (82F) this afternoon.  

The meal, drink and wine sound good to me.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.   Thanks for the daily and maps Rich and Sandi.  A great group of days and a true quote.  We are going to New Caledonia with two stops on GANZ but not this port.  I look forward to everyone's photos.  Today's soup is a winner, pass on the cocktail and would enjoy the Simi Cabernet.  Thanks for researching these for us each day ladies.  

Vanessa, you are amazing to get our cares a celebrations report completed for us while you are in the hospital.  I hope your cellulitis is responding to treatment.  Prayers for a speedy recovery for Roy while at JH Bayview rehab.  Prayers for Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Bonnie, Sandi's DB, Melissa, Pat and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.   Jacqui I hope you are making progress on settling into your new home. Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.   

John has decided to move out day of departure to Saturday.  We would shut the cabin down and the head out and make it to Petoskey to overnight.  I am more inclined to Gaylord because the highway drive is quicker than extended time on a state route from Petoskey.  Since we would be leaving early we would be home in time to watch the Ravens Raiders game.  

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon and thank you Sandi for today's daily reports.

It is 55°F and sunny here in North East England.

I think we all encourage each other on here.

Hugs are good and high five is prevalent more these days.

A good quote.

Never been to today's port so looking forward to photos.

Prayers 🙏 uplifted to all who want them.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi - for Rich! More rain hit yesterday, but more off & on than previous days and no T-storms. Bindi got a couple of decent walks in. And once again, I am amazed that none of the roads through the nearby state park are flooded. Where is all the water going? 

Vanessa, praying that the antibiotics kick in - fast. And you can get a permanent solution to your leg pain. 

Gym, Bindi walks, manicure and my second dose of the Hepatitis A & B vaccine will round out my day.  Lots of chores. 

@grapau27 Graham thank you for suggesting flights to Gatwick. I did look at them, but the airlines that fly from there to Cairo all had very expensive flights. 

IMG_3414.jpeg.d8093467e85b9bdc5d9c727ee6ef5446.jpeg

IMG_3385.jpeg.674d703bc17da73194e83cfae6949f7f.jpeg

Fourth in our series of Denali National Park signs…

IMG_3373.jpeg.8366f64050b74a8a43f91c2bcabe82e0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Vanessa, Bonnie, Tana, Terry, Chuck & Annie, Melisa & DH, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Pat & Ann, Roy, Jacqui, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today.

SIMI Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2022

I used the 2022 vintage info, since that is what the winemaker is highlighting. I have sipped this Sonoma Cab, and enjoyed it. I definitely favor red wines with blackberry tasting notes. Easy to find and priced to enjoy. It has some very expensive cousins, if your budget allows. Online prices start at $19.99.

Winemakers notes

Grapes for this Cabernet Sauvignon are sourced from some of the best growing regions in California.  Cabernet Sauvignon grapes grown in the northern parts of Sonoma County contribute rich flavors of dark plum and black cherry with a hint of spice and ripe tannins. Cabernet grapes grown in California’s Central Coast region bring flavors of blackberry, blueberry, and dried cranberry.  This vibrant, fruit forward wine is laced with flavors of toasted oak and hints of warm brown spice, and finishes with velvety tannins. Elegant and food friendly, this wine is sure to please.

Tasting Notes

Blackberry
Blueberry
Dried Cranberry
Toasted Oak
Hints of Warm Brown Spice

Aroma

Dark Plum
Black Cherry
Hint of Spice

Food Pairing
Enjoy with grilled portobello mushroom, grilled steak with blue cheese butter, braised short ribs, pizza with  sausage and mushrooms, veggie burgers, and aged cheeses.

Wine Facts

ABV 13.5%

Vintage 2022

Appellation Sonoma County

83% Cabernet Sauvignon
8% Merlot
5% Petit Verdot
2% Petite Sirah
1% Malbec

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 5

This is the latest email from Roy.  It looks like he will have a busy morning.

The ambulance came about 3PM and the ride was just over an hour.  Since arriving I have been in the bed the entire time.  Slept reasonably well.  I first meet with rehab at 7AM.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 29

Happy Thursday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

I have discovered that it is harder to get up in the morning Sunrise is getting later, and my body does not like that. Fancy does not get out of bed until noon. Wish I had her schedule. Today is grading assignments in 5 classes. I struggle with this because I get bored easily reading the topic over and over. Oh well. The life of an adjunct. No word yet about my dissertation. I have a meeting with my committee chair and hope to get feedback then. Waiting for my methodologist's feedback. I dislike waiting. NCL has a new app. Not sure what it will entail once onboard in 27 days. I did like HAL's. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

See You Tomorrow Meme Happy Thursday And Cat Memes - vrogue.co

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone from what appears to be an overcast Thursday.  Rain is promised for today so outdoor activities are on hold.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the Fleet Report and Daily.  I hope you are doing well and I pray your medical issues resolve quickly.

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the Cares and Celebration list.  You are amazing to be able to keep up with us even when in the hospital yourself.  I pray that your celuliitis resolves quickly and you are able to go home to recuperate.  

Thank you to Debbie @dfish, Ann @cat shepard and Dixie @summer slope for your dedication to keeping us fed and hydrated.

The quote is very true.

I have not been to the port.

I do not have anything to report.  We are holding our own.  Some days are better than others.  Not sure what today will bring.  I have learned to take each day as it comes.  Not sure what today will bring since DH is still sleeping.  

We are still planning on going on our cruise.  It is funny.  We are leaving for Miami on Nov. 5. That is Election Day.  I have my own built-in countdown clock.  All I have to do is turn on the News and I am told how many days until Election Day, so I know how long until we leave.

@kazu Hope you are settling in at your new digs nicely.  

@rafinmd prayers for you that you are on the road to recovery.  Glad you are out of the hospital and in Rehab.  

@Seasick Sailor prayers for Bonnie

@ottahand7 prayers that your knee decides to start feeling better and the swelling goes down.

@smitty34877 prayers for you and Tana and the family.

@puppycanducruise a Very Happy Birthday to your MOM.

i am still battling with the PMR flare-up.  Still waiting for a response from the Doc.

Prayers for all who need them and Kudos for those celebrating and cruising.

Have a wonderful Thursday.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6

A very early good morning from central Texas where it is still dark.  According to the weather app it is cloudy and 70F with 96% humidity and a 68F dew point.  There is a 5mph wind from the NNE.  Our predicted high is 85F with clearing skies late this afternoon and no chance of rain.  Today is house cleaning day, and since I'm up early, I'll get started when I finish here.

Three interesting days, and we all need encouragement and hugs from time to time.  I wish the world would realize we are just one human family.

I agree with the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow quote, but sadly for some the rain becomes a flood.

A good tomato basil soup is good, but I'll skip the drink.  The wine sounds like a winner with an affordable price tag.

We have not been to Tadine Mare, New Caledonia.

What a surprise awaited those four teens in 1940 when they followed their dog into the cave.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope the iv antibiotic is already bringing improvement to your leg.  You amaze me with how organized you are and your ability to get the lists to us no matter where you are.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, congratulations to Ren on being named a National Merit Semi-Finalist.  Safe and rain free travels tomorrow for DGD's wedding.

@puppycanducruise  Melanie, please wish your DM a VERY HAPPY 87TH BIRTHDAY for us.

@ottahand7  Nancy, thanks for the pictures from you drive into town.  I hope all goes smoothly as you make your final preparations to travel home Saturday.

458369618_431829996570394_6914896927454734724_n.jpg.f9c4031ce4386235e4cd89dc59869160.jpg

458411449_8764972876850247_1045268074752545875_n.jpg.ece7b1510685a35f7190bace3e02d1e8.jpg

458583370_122147430782271420_5796364949592107650_n.jpg.b3a0a99b8b2e7f2f5c3bdf207dbaa754.jpg

459098734_826107776356549_3801104863261107435_n.jpg.ee62f67822cebc567e71686050167e76.jpg

459177100_122175463382188791_3134027866549264304_n.jpg.5d487e9925624df509bb8576a29ee992.jpg

459195522_930918992390847_6356556730181326095_n.jpg.d5e2d5ef839fe676fcc18231c74d3b2c.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20
  • Haha 19

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a warm one today with a high of 88.  We'll see if it gets that high.  Right now the house is quite cool and I hope with strategic opening and closing of shades we can keep it reasonable.  Not a lot planned for today other than yoga and the seafood truck.  The seafood truck comes once a month and we load up on salmon, shrimp, scallops, and other fish.  The quality is good and the price is right.  

@JazzyV I hope getting on the IV antibiotics has helped a lot and that you are home and comfortable soon.

@puppycanducruise Happy Birthday to your mom!

@ottahand7 Your drive to town for the mail is beautiful.  We're hoping to get River for a weekend and go to the UP to Kitch-iti-kipi.  The UP is amazing.  I hope your DB is doing better now.  He's had a rough time.

@rafinmd Glad to hear you are settled into rehab.  I hope your stay is short and beneficial.

Today's meal comes under the classification of comfort food.  Fix yourself a nice grilled cheese sandwich to go along with it and enjoy!  Panera Copycat Tomato Basil Soup

tomatobasilsoup1.thumb.jpeg.5637d74a20f47d4993aa4d77115cc588.jpeg

This recipe takes out the sugar and roasts cherry tomatoes and shallots to get the sweetness that helps with the acidity of the tomatoes.  Tomato Basil Soup

tomatobasilsoup2.jpg.d40d705045874322e0a618a802dff3df.jpg

Here is a roasted tomato soup.  It doesn't claim to be a Panera copycat, but I am sure would be just as good.  I like the idea of roasting the tomatoes and caramelizing the onions.  That always adds a ton of flavor.  Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

tomatobasilsoup3.jpg.0bc8b54d5d20284e040cc0afe0d10395.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for our daily updates.  The propane delivery folks are filling the tank, I guess heating season is around the corner.  Three nice days to recognize, we can all use words of encouragement from time to time.

The quote is so true although sometimes it seems like a monsoon.  

The meal and drink suggestions sound very nice although we’ve been having homemade tomato soup all week.

So many ports that I haven’t been to and today is another.

Prayers for those on our prayer list today.  Happy _______ to those of you who are celebrating!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A very early good morning from central Texas where it is still dark.  According to the weather app it is cloudy and 70F with 96% humidity and a 68F dew point.  There is a 5mph wind from the NNE.  Our predicted high is 85F with clearing skies late this afternoon and no chance of rain.  Today is house cleaning day, and since I'm up early, I'll get started when I finish here.

Three interesting days, and we all need encouragement and hugs from time to time.  I wish the world would realize we are just one human family.

I agree with the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow quote, but sadly for some the rain becomes a flood.

A good tomato basil soup is good, but I'll skip the drink.  The wine sounds like a winner with an affordable price tag.

We have not been to Tadine Mare, New Caledonia.

What a surprise awaited those four teens in 1940 when they followed their dog into the cave.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope the iv antibiotic is already bringing improvement to your leg.  You amaze me with how organized you are and your ability to get the lists to us no matter where you are.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, congratulations to Ren on being named a National Merit Semi-Finalist.  Safe and rain free travels tomorrow for DGD's wedding.

@puppycanducruise  Melanie, please wish your DM a VERY HAPPY 87TH BIRTHDAY for us.

@ottahand7  Nancy, thanks for the pictures from you drive into town.  I hope all goes smoothly as you make your final preparations to travel home Saturday.

458369618_431829996570394_6914896927454734724_n.jpg.f9c4031ce4386235e4cd89dc59869160.jpg

458411449_8764972876850247_1045268074752545875_n.jpg.ece7b1510685a35f7190bace3e02d1e8.jpg

458583370_122147430782271420_5796364949592107650_n.jpg.b3a0a99b8b2e7f2f5c3bdf207dbaa754.jpg

459098734_826107776356549_3801104863261107435_n.jpg.ee62f67822cebc567e71686050167e76.jpg

459177100_122175463382188791_3134027866549264304_n.jpg.5d487e9925624df509bb8576a29ee992.jpg

459195522_930918992390847_6356556730181326095_n.jpg.d5e2d5ef839fe676fcc18231c74d3b2c.jpg

Lenda

Ms Crystal, Ha Ha Ha Ha!  I don’t know why no one comes by anymore! 😳

• Like 6
  • Haha 10