Northern Lights on the Encore

RN_Prof

look up. Total darkness would be helpful ( no ship lights in your field of view). Again, depends where you cruising.  The Northern Lights have to do with activity on the Sun. So, you may see them, you may not.  Hope you do

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RN_Prof said:

Sailing the Encore the end of September. If the Northern Lights are visible. Where can you see them on the ship?

Waterfront Deck 8.  Top Deck 17. The ship generates lots of light pollution. On our August 2024 Encore cruise, the Aurora dipped well south and some people got some photos. We didn’t see anything. We also had a meteor shower. 

• Haha 1

Sailing the Encore the end of September. If the Northern Lights are visible. Where can you see them on the ship?

In the past, there have been announcements in the Freestyle Daily about the possibility of seeing the Northern Lights.  The last time I saw the Lights from a ship, it was midnight or later.  Atmospheric conditions have to be just right- and as close to totally darkness as possible.

We saw them on May 10th as we were cruising from Juneau to Skagway from our balcony between 10:45 and 11 pm off the starboard side looking north and east.

image.png.34bc7bf8cc70e58f8170141d4a686b70.png

However, it was a hazy evening, and we could only see the colors through the lens of our iPhones when looking for them.

IMG_8206.jpeg.f038792a13842d0f9c439ccf46549a35.jpeg

Here's a link to help you forecast your possibility of seeing them.

Aurora Dashboard (Experimental) | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

• Like 1

Activiy has been quite high at times this year - I saw them from my front porch in Oregon a few months ago. So chances are better than usual but still at the whim of the atmospheric gods. I'll be on the Sun in early October, will definitely be checking. Keep in mind that a camera can pick up colors you might not see, so pay attention to any funny looking clouds - it just might be dancing lights!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RN_Prof said:

Get up as high as you can and avoid lights. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We saw them on May 10th as we were cruising from Juneau to Skagway from our balcony between 10:45 and 11 pm off the starboard side looking north and east.

image.png.34bc7bf8cc70e58f8170141d4a686b70.png

However, it was a hazy evening, and we could only see the colors through the lens of our iPhones when looking for them.

IMG_8206.jpeg.f038792a13842d0f9c439ccf46549a35.jpeg

Here's a link to help you forecast your possibility of seeing them.

Aurora Dashboard (Experimental) | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

Amazing photos. 

will be cruising in mid october and i have an iphone like you. 

Is there a certain setting on the iphone camera app you recommend? 

thanks in advance 

37 minutes ago, 7Contraveler said:

Amazing photos. 

will be cruising in mid october and i have an iphone like you. 

Is there a certain setting on the iphone camera app you recommend? 

thanks in advance 

Thanks! I only have an iPhone SE, which has no “delay exposure” options. However, in edit mode there is a Magic Wand that enhances the color in a photo.  But if you have a higher quality iPhone with a delay exposure option, you may want to practice taking enhanced “delayed exposure” photos just to see how it works.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, complawyer said:

we're on the prima iceland to southampton sept 26-oct 6th.  my wife's bucket list is to see the lights. if we don't, i'm dead meat

ask the steward/stewardess if there is a chance to see the Northern Lights.  We are on a flight to Dubai ( from Los Angeles).  I asked the stewardess if there was any chance we might see them 

( my travel partner scoffed at me asking), she said she didn't know.  Part way thru the flight ( I believe I=it was over Greenland), she came to us and said  open your shades, and look out the window).  Saw the most amazing florescent green swirls and dancing ribbons!!!  I told her thank you for taking the time to find out.  She started"  YOU SHOULD SEE THEM FROM HE COCKPIT!!"  She also said that was her first time ever seeing them as well.  It truly was an unforgettable experience.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, complawyer said:

we're on the prima iceland to southampton sept 26-oct 6th.  my wife's bucket list is to see the lights. if we don't, i'm dead meat

If on the outside chance you don’t see the Lights on your cruise and are not limited to cruising with NCL, HAL has two 14-night Northern Lights itineraries in Oct 2026.

On our ncl cruise last sept between Iceland and Norway, we were lucky to have 4 nights with Aurora visible. Captain made announcements after dinner of the possibility and there was a channel on the tv that would display an announcement when the lights were visible. Ship was not darkened, but standing on top deck, they were plenty visible and beautiful thru the camera.  
warm wind blocking gear was helpful. Included a picture of guests and crew enjoying the show.  The lights were very different each night. 😍

IMG_0567.jpeg

IMG_0581.jpeg

• Like 2

We were on the Encore back in Oct and saw a bit of the Northern Lights around 1am while in route to Juneau. You'll need to be a serious night owl and have clear weather to have a chance. Its worth it check out either from your balcony or better aft Waterfront as someone else mentioned. 

FYI, use the apps as suggested.  Find the least lit are of the ship at night.  Also know that what you can't see with the naked eye, can be picked up on camera.  So do some night photos, and look at them in the camera view.  I live in Alaska and I'm pleasantly surprised what my camera catches that I can't see myself.