Glacier Viewing on Cruise Ship

calico79

I am looking into Alaska cruise itineraries and when there is glacier viewing, is there enough room for everyone on the decks to see?  I just know that is where I would want to do the viewing and with so many people on the ship, I just wonder about the crowds. 

Generally, yes. But it can depend on the ship...some ships have less outdoor space than others. And many want to be indoors (typically warmer), so appropriate indoor spaces can be important as well. For example, HAL ships have large lounges called the Crows Nest, with good viewing.

At least on Princess, they turn one side of the ship to face the glacier, then 30 minutes later they pivot 180 degrees and put the other side of the ship to the glacier. They stay there 20-30 minutes, then move on.

First time we cruised, my wife went to the first side while I remained at the other side and got my tripod set up, etc. I was in the sun, AND I was far enough aft that the ship's structure was blocking the cold glacier breeze from hitting me. I was shedding layers. Once the ship started turning, my wife came over to find me and was shivering from the cold. I had all the same views with far less crowds (everyone who was cold was now chasing down hot chocolate, lunch, whatever) and I was happy as a (warm) clam.

• Like 2

We usually check out the decks for viewing purposes the second day we are on the ship.  The first day everyone is everywhere; the second day things are a little calmer.  From our chosen deck, we go from one side of the ship to the other noting how long it takes to do so.  So, if we know our ship is going to sway, we can get to our new destination in time for glacier viewing. Since my husband and I both take pictures, we will some times split up and one person stay on one side of the ship while the other goes over to the other side.  We also try to find a place where we won't block another person who is trying to take pictures.  There is nothing worse than trying to capture a shot and seeing a phone or an IPad cross your lens.  Most people are courteous but sometimes you will run across an overly excited person who is caught up in the moments and forgets that there are a lot of people who would like to capture that memorable moment as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

We usually check out the decks for viewing purposes the second day we are on the ship.  The first day everyone is everywhere; the second day things are a little calmer.  From our chosen deck, we go from one side of the ship to the other noting how long it takes to do so.  So, if we know our ship is going to sway, we can get to our new destination in time for glacier viewing. Since my husband and I both take pictures, we will some times split up and one person stay on one side of the ship while the other goes over to the other side.  We also try to find a place where we won't block another person who is trying to take pictures.  There is nothing worse than trying to capture a shot and seeing a phone or an IPad cross your lens.  Most people are courteous but sometimes you will run across an overly excited person who is caught up in the moments and forgets that there are a lot of people who would like to capture that memorable moment as well.

Especially when they hold that iPad at arm's length, thinking it'll make their image better by getting it closer. Ugh.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I like ships with a promenade deck. They are not crowded. Everyone goes to the top deck. I like the viewing from a lower deck.

We like the lower deck as well.  The top deck is always so crowded and it is hard for someone my height to see over the tall people. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We like the lower deck as well.  The top deck is always so crowded and it is hard for someone my height to see over the tall people. 

Plus photos from the lower deck are better IMO.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 8:19 AM, peety3 said:

At least on Princess, they turn one side of the ship to face the glacier, then 30 minutes later they pivot 180 degrees and put the other side of the ship to the glacier. They stay there 20-30 minutes, then move on.

First time we cruised, my wife went to the first side while I remained at the other side and got my tripod set up, etc. I was in the sun, AND I was far enough aft that the ship's structure was blocking the cold glacier breeze from hitting me. I was shedding layers. Once the ship started turning, my wife came over to find me and was shivering from the cold. I had all the same views with far less crowds (everyone who was cold was now chasing down hot chocolate, lunch, whatever) and I was happy as a (warm) clam.

Ditto for HAL.

I like ships with a full promenade deck that allows you to walk around the entire ship to get the best view.  Also, these decks give you some protection from the elements.

Going to the observation decks, while more comfortable are generally so crowded and you get the same problems with chair hogs that you get around the pools.

• Like 1

We booked a aft balcony cabin so that we have private viewing of Hubbard Glacier on Celebrity Summit. Plus, we have port and starboard views from our balcony. Finally, we can sit down on our private chairs and enjoy a drink while viewing the glacier. Worth the extra $$$

I've been to Alaska on several cruise ships/lines and glacier viewing from open decks has never been an issue.  Where I've seen issues is during inclement weather where the viewing is better from inside.  Again, most ships have excellent indoor viewing lounges.  HAL's Crows Nest, RCI's Viking Crown Lounge and Solarium, and Celebrity's Sky Lounge are all fantastic.  The line that suffers in this regard is Princess, especially their newer Royal Class.  

On 9/20/2024 at 10:24 AM, paddycat said:

We booked a aft balcony cabin so that we have private viewing of Hubbard Glacier on Celebrity Summit. Plus, we have port and starboard views from our balcony. Finally, we can sit down on our private chairs and enjoy a drink while viewing the glacier. Worth the extra $$$

And your own bathroom.

I was on Ovation of the Seas in Alaska and there is a lot of space on the top two decks (3 if you have a suite and can go up to that deck). When we went to Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier, we stayed on our balcony and like a previous commenter said, they rotate the ship around so all sides get a viewing opportunity. North Star spots during this time were a hefty penny!

image.thumb.jpeg.fe9e67492450631810d6d3e3b4134a07.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.50687e3aab63fd71bdf81202ecfac980.jpeg

We could also see all the photographers out on deck, I wonder how long they waited for that spot 😄 

image.thumb.jpeg.bd91a5a1a76da2cb4f45fe07514ffcc4.jpeg

• Like 1