The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 14th, 2024

Gosh doctors are working a lot; I got a call from the Urologist about an hour ago. He had just reviewed the scan I had done a couple days ago and wanted to give me the results. 

No stone down low, so it has passed. Still sees 1 in left kidney & 2 in the right one, so the worst game ever invented continues. 

He wants to do another urine stone before I leave for AK, so he's ordered a kit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

3 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Gosh doctors are working a lot; I got a call from the Urologist about an hour ago. He had just reviewed the scan I had done a couple days ago and wanted to give me the results. 

No stone down low, so it has passed. Still sees 1 in left kidney & 2 in the right one, so the worst game ever invented continues. 

He wants to do another urine stone before I leave for AK, so he's ordered a kit.

Elizabeth, that was nice of the doctor to vall you on a Saturday night.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

That's ok.  We ate out tonight.

I am sorry, Carol, that you are at this point, but as others have said, Hospice can provide you with tons of support.  Don't hesitate to speak up.  You should have a social worker stopping in and talk to him/her about your feelings as well as Sam's.  The Hospice nurses are wizards at dealing with pain effectively.  I wish you and Sam all the best and may he finally find comfort.

Our day was a good one.  The game was good and then we had a nice visit with River's great grandma.  We then went for ice cream before dropping River off at home.  We stopped at a favorite restaurant for an early dinner on the way home.

IMG_3612.thumb.JPG.d2e1b75c1ea2b2b3a6db4e27fd781137.JPG

This is River kicking the ball.  I was naughty and posted this picture and some others on FB and called out her derelict father for abandoning her.  I don't care if it makes him mad.  

Debbie, good for you.  Good picture of River.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

You're ahead of me.  I can't believe how far behind I am!  I have 8 to watch.  It always amazes me how they can always come up with new ideas for shows! Every one of them excellent.

Carolyn & Terry @smitty34877, I downloaded 4 episodes of the current season to watch on my 5 hour flight to Phoenix and watched all of them. I was mad at myself for not downloading all of them!  Now I’m mad that I only have 3 episodes left!

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites from the beautiful Westerdam. 

Our crossing,  as expected, has been rocky. Last night in Pinnacle Grill the waves washed right over the windows. 

Sandi Wishing blessings upon the bride and groom on their wedding day.

Roy, I hope you get stronger each day and you are in my prayers. 

Prayers lifted to each of our Daily friends. 

It's odd to see the Saturday Daily when it's Sunday here onboard.

We have a wine tasting invite today at 1:45. We may go and check it out. I remember @Sharon in AZ saying she enjoyed it.

Take care and have a great day. 

Joy, yes I do enjoy going to the wine tasting especially when I get the invitation that it’s complimentary. I will say it really depends on the personality of the sommelier (or whoever leads the tasting). I was very disappointed on the Volendam last April because I felt the person leading didn’t have control and talked about the same thing over and over again. A few weeks ago on the Zuiderdam it was very good and entertaining. 

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Thank you everyone for your good wishes for Sam. Yes, hospice is great.

Carol, thinking about you and Sam and hoping his pain is helped with hospice. 

26 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Wow Elizabeth, you just can’t get a break with those darn stones. I’m glad your doctor is on top of everything and helping. 

Debbie @dfish, great picture of River!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good Evening Everyone!

Been a thoughtful, sometimes tearful day today.  It is the one year anniversary of Dad's passing.  I still miss him, even with the last 4 years with dementia and  minimal talking he would smile as we entered the room. 

One of the last things he said at the hospital was "Holy ****" after I accidentally spilled some ice water on him as I was trying to help him with his glass of water.  Maybe it wasn't the words that meant so much, as the booming voice that came out, for a moment it was a glance back at the man whose laugh was there before the dementia set in.

@rafinmd  Keep up the good work at your rehab therapies, you have this!  My Mom had a stroke 8 years ago and could not walk or talk when we took her from the hospital to rehab, after 6 weeks she went to an assisted living apartment for 3 months and then back to her home for 3 years!  Now she resides (at her choice) to live in a senior community with her own independent apartment, she uses a walker but is otherwise independent at caring for herself.  After all my years nursing (and caring for stroke patients) I am a strong proponent of  rehab following a stroke, it is hard work retraining brains!

@mamaofami Hugs and prayers to you and your beloved Sam

Thank you all for the caring support you offer each other.  This is a comforting place to come with support you offer, I did much reading of the daily during the long nights I spent with Dad and would share stories with him.

Take care

Denise

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, doobieb said:

When we say “nothing much happened here this weekend….” we mean it.

When @durangoscots says it, a bear knocks down a fence nearby and then a passel of people show up  to  gather apples, that’s more than nothing!  

And just what is a gleamer?

Our  neighbors would probably all be out on the sidewalk if a chicken was in the area!  But a bear………yikes!

Debbie

Gleamer has a number of meaning but several groups who move in to collect  foods is one way it is currently used. In our case... a volunteer group who works with Bear Smart Durango to quickly remove fruit that the owners don't want. While some is picked and given to local food banks or shelters, the not so good ones (often on the ground) are given to farmers for pig food, etc. Nothing is sold but the idea is to put it to use other than food for the bears. Sorry bears.

Susan

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

I actually did the wine tasting today, and it was a pretty good experience. The Cellar Master spoke first and introduced himself and mentioned a couple of upcoming events. The sommelier took over and I thought was very good. He talked about a couple of things that I hadn't heard at previous wine tastings. It was a nice experience and the wines were good.

20240915_135007.thumb.jpg.0846455b553422eb7be90f584cace9f2.jpg

20240915_142849.thumb.jpg.591d9bcc2615e0f7cc12eab1bdfd9385.jpg

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Carolyn & Terry @smitty34877, I downloaded 4 episodes of the current season to watch on my 5 hour flight to Phoenix and watched all of them. I was mad at myself for not downloading all of them!  Now I’m mad that I only have 3 episodes left!

I have bought DVDs of all 13 seasons and watch them as I can.  I love that series and hope it never ends.  I wish they would have more episodes each season.

Terri

• Like 6

5 hours ago, doobieb said:

Thank you Susan! One more word to add to my list of things learned on the Daily!

I am pretty sure the word is gleaner, no m. From Wikipedia 

A gleaner(Noun) is a person who engages in gleaning, utilizing crops and resources left behind in a harvest.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, superoma said:

I am pretty sure the word is gleaner, no m. From Wikipedia 

A gleaner(Noun) is a person who engages in gleaning, utilizing crops and resources left behind in a harvest.

And in the Book of Ruth. The Torah says that, when harvesting, workers can't push into the corners of the field and can't pick up anything that is dropped, to leave something for gleaning by those without land of their own.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

50 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

And in the Book of Ruth. The Torah says that, when harvesting, workers can't push into the corners of the field and can't pick up anything that is dropped, to leave something for gleaning by those without land of their own.

Thank you. I was trying to come up with the biblical example, remembering something about Ruth but got distracted before I did the research.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, superoma said:

Thank you. I was trying to come up with the biblical example, remembering something about Ruth but got distracted before I did the research.  

Glad someone jogged my memory. I remember the lesson from Sunday school more years ago than I like to think.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@Haljo1935 I am sorry to hear that there are still stones!  I have found taking lemon or apple cider vinegar daily helps me.

Thanks. I am putting lemon 🍋 🍋 (a lot) in my water every day.

The good news is there haven't been any new stones form, but when I went in for the first episode, there were 5. So, 🤞the lemon helps and I only have 3 to go.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I just heard about a "gleaning party" tomorrow at one of the Cornell U. research farms. As I understand it, they're asking for volunteers to sort and pack surplus potatoes that have already been dug.

And that should be much easier than having to dig them. The (the Bear Smart) people are asking for more gleaning help with the apples here. Evidently it was a real bumper crop this year. We have about 8 weeks before the last of the bears (usually the males) head for hibernation. At least we don't seem to have Lake Tahoe's problem where the bears would sleep lighter and come out on garbage collection days. And they seem to be hibernating out of town which is really good.

Susan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• LauraS locked this topic