Does the Noordam have anything similar to the International Cafe on Princess?

TorontoTL

I’ve travelled with Princess 28 times and have my first cruise booked on board the Noordam, so my first with HAL.  We enjoy having our breakfast at the International Cafe where the food is complimentary although coffee and tea are extra.  The food offerings are excellent there with muesli and many baked good available for free in the mornings and sandwiches for lunch.  Is there a cafe that is similar on the Noordam?  Thank you in advance for helping this soon to be first time cruise with HAL.

@TorontoTL

If, like me, you're an early riser, the International Cafe is a godsend because it's open 24 hours a day (in addition to, as you point out, having very good food options). There's nothing on HAL open 24/7, and really nothing comparable in quality on the Noordam. As @Sir PMPpoints out, the Dutch Cafe (which is similar to the IC except for the 24/7 aspect) is only on Pinnacle-class HAL ships (Koningsdam, Rotterdam, Nieuw Statendam). The Lido is your best bet.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, TorontoTL said:

Is there a cafe that is similar on the Noordam?

The Noordam has the Explorations Cafe.  You will find it on Deck 3, next to the Library.  Have a great cruise and welcome to Holland America!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

The Noordam has the Explorations Cafe.  You will find it on Deck 3, next to the Library.  Have a great cruise and welcome to Holland America!

Yes, this is the one thing, in my mind, that sets Noordam apart from all the other Vista ships (my favorite size ship).  The Explorations Cafe as part of the Crows Nest Bar just isn't the same, and in my mind is tantamount to eliminating the Cafe.  For the OP, I think you'll find the Noordam's Explorations Cafe to be a lovely space.  I'm not familiar with the International Cafe on Princess, but it sounds similar.  Drinks are charged, but pastries are complimentary. It is NOT, however, open 24 hours.  I believe it opens at 6:30 on shore days and 7 AM on sea days, but that could vary. 

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 2

I guess I’m wondering about the food options then at the Explorations cafe on the Noordam.  Besides a few complimentary pastries, does it offer enough non sweet food options for breakfast and lunch?  I’m wondering about things such as muesli or egg sandwiches at breakfast and a variety of sandwiches for lunch?

40 minutes ago, TorontoTL said:

I guess I’m wondering about the food options then at the Explorations cafe on the Noordam.  Besides a few complimentary pastries, does it offer enough non sweet food options for breakfast and lunch?  I’m wondering about things such as muesli or egg sandwiches at breakfast and a variety of sandwiches for lunch?

There will be MANY food options for both breakfast and lunch in the Lido. As much as you can get in any eating place...including your muesli and sandwiches. (There was just a thread here a few days ago about muesli on HAL ships). Explorations Cafe is more a coffee and pastries place.

• Like 1

The International Cafe is what I miss the most when cruising with HAL!  
(We’re Elite on Princess and 4 star on HAL)

There is nothing similar to it on the Noordam.  There is no venue on board where one can get food 24/7 (we don’t do room service so can speak to that).  The Exploration Cafe has limited pastries/cookies throughout the day.  Not like the IC that has both savory and sweet breakfast/lunch options.  You will not find yogurt, smoothies, avocado toast nor any lunch options there.  It’s a nice venue to have a coffee/tea but if you want a meal then you do have to go up to the Lido or the MDR.  I spent quite a bit of time there this summer as the library is adjacent to the cafe.  (BTW, the libraries on HAL are pretty good!  Not at all like what Princess likes to call a ‘library’!)

Coffee and tea are available 24/7 in the Lido.  I didn’t like the coffee so I brought a French press and just got hot water.  

Enjoy your trip!  We really like cruising with HAL!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TorontoTL said:

Only the Grand Dutch Cafe, on the Pinnacle ships (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, Rotterdam) have savoury food items.  Explorations used to have them but they’ve done away with that (much to my dismay).

FWIW, I never enjoyed any of the savoury food items in the International Cafe, though it seems to be enjoyed by many others.

I would love if HAL had earlier coffee bar opening times, but 6:30am it is.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TorontoTL said:

Not really.  Sometimes there are sandwiches but more on the lines of "snacks" than meals.  it doesn't sound like the International Cafe you are describing.  If you ever have a chance to sail on a Pinnacle Class HAL ship, however, you will find that the Grand Dutch Cafe is more what you are describing (though that also is not open 24/7)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TorontoTL said:

You will not find anything comparable to the Int'l Cafe on the Noordam. Explorations Cafe will be as close as you can get (aside from the Lido), but it's apples to oranges. 😪

As others have said, the 3 Pinnacle class ships (which Noordam is not) have a Grand Dutch Cafe that is very similar except for not being 24x7.

Favorite unexpected find on Princess which I miss is the Int'l Cafe; I l❤️ve the GDC and miss it when on non-Pinnacle ship; the Lido is not an acceptable alternative for ambience.

• Like 3

You guys are awesome, thank you so much for your help.  Hopefully we enjoy our upcoming cruise to Japan on the Noordam.  Hard to imagine that we won’t, in reality my impression is that cruise lines are more alike than different.  We’ll miss our Elite benefits on Princess, but we’re excited to try out HAL for the first time.  If there is a good itinerary that interests us on HAL on the Pinnacle class ships, that might be the next cruise after this one.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TorontoTL said:

You guys are awesome, thank you so much for your help.  Hopefully we enjoy our upcoming cruise to Japan on the Noordam.  Hard to imagine that we won’t, in reality my impression is that cruise lines are more alike than different.  We’ll miss our Elite benefits on Princess, but we’re excited to try out HAL for the first time.  If there is a good itinerary that interests us on HAL on the Pinnacle class ships, that might be the next cruise after this one.

Welcome to HAL!!

I sailed many times (Elite) on Princess before my first HAL cruise (now 4*) to AK and the one thing I frequently mention missing is the Int'l Cafe, but I keep coming back, so I must love it ❤️

You'll have a great time.

• Like 1

Speaking of 24/7 food venues….the last time I sailed HAL, the ship “went to bed”  by 11:00, at the latest for the most part, so no burning need for one.  Similar to the Princess International Cafe, is the Promenade Cafe on RCCL, with similar items.

The one true full service 24/7 food venue at sea that I have found, is NCL’s The Local, formerly known as O’Sheehans, and before that, The Blue Lagoon…

• Like 1

We have sailed the Noordam several times including a long voyage to Australia from Vancouver.  She is a lovely ship with a relaxing vibe, you will enjoy your voyage.  

We do, however prefer Princess (Elite) for the entertainment and definitely the International Cafe.  For an early riser (5:30 every day no matter what…I seem to have no choice) the IC is a godsend.

• Like 3

I was thinking that what we might do, since we generally don’t love buffets, is order room service for breakfast.  From what I can tell, HAL has quite a good room service menu for breakfast.  Is there a charge for the delivery?  Do we generally tip the person who delivers the food?

Benny

1 hour ago, Stpatsirish said:

There is no charge for room service breakfast. We usually give a couple of dollars tip but you have to have it in your hand when they come to the door because they are in and out quickly!

Great, same a Princess then, good to know.

Isn't the answer to the original question "No"?   There are alternatives but nothing like the International Cafe?  I think we can all agree that we need to be flexible.   We were on the Oosterdam in January and savory breakfasts were not available unless in the MDR, Lido, Room Service, or Pinnacle.  I thought the Noordam is a sister ship.   We will be on the Noordam for 28 days and it would be wonderful if it offers more than the Oosterdam.  Cherie     

• Like 2

We've sailed on the Noordam several times on Alaska cruises and on Princess a few as well.  As others have stated, the International Cafe on Princess is wonderful. On longer Princess cruises, we would frequently eat there. For the Noordam, the LIDO buffet (including the 10:30pm feeding) has a good selection.  But the Explorations Cafe is limited to simple pastries and coffeee & latte's, etc.

• Like 1

There's nothing similar, except the Explorations Cafe, which opens around 6-7 in the morning in the crow's nest. They might have a few cookies or something, but nothing substantial. What I do, as an early riser, is to bring a couple of plates to my room from the buffet before it closes at 8 at night, so I have a fruit plate in the morning, or some bread and cold cuts and cheese. You could also fill a small glass with some muesli or something else at breakfast and keep it in your fridge. They also often keep some breakfast cereal out before the buffet opens in the morning, as well as some fruit, so I'm up at 5 or so, whereas on Princess I'd get fruit and pastries at the IC, on HAL I get some cereal and have a banana. A final thing I do is often bring back some of the small servings of desserts in the buffet and keep one or two in my fridge, and have some of that as a snack. One of the advantages of HAL over Princess (besides scoop ice cream) is that they serve smaller servings of most of the MDR desserts in the buffet, so I usually sample several. Room service is also a possible option to order something non-smelly the evening before, since room service is still free on HAL. Other snacks I bring back to my room are tortilla chips from the taco bar they usually have on the pool deck, their delicious cookies, and some small sandwiches they have in the buffet in the afternoon, which are often really good. On my last two cruises they had fresh sliced strawberries, so I brought back a bowl to my room every morning. So basically, you won't starve, even though they don't have the 24/7 Princess option, if you're willing to keep some food in your room (I bring a plastic tray on my cruise to make it easier, as well as to make it easier to carry. food in the buffet, particularly since I like eating on the quieter pool deck in the morning, as I do on the aft outside deck on Princess. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rj59 said:

There's nothing similar, except the Explorations Cafe, which opens around 6-7 in the morning in the crow's nest. They might have a few cookies or something, but nothing substantial. What I do, as an early riser, is to bring a couple of plates to my room from the buffet before it closes at 8 at night, so I have a fruit plate in the morning, or some bread and cold cuts and cheese. You could also fill a small glass with some muesli or something else at breakfast and keep it in your fridge. They also often keep some breakfast cereal out before the buffet opens in the morning, as well as some fruit, so I'm up at 5 or so, whereas on Princess I'd get fruit and pastries at the IC, on HAL I get some cereal and have a banana. A final thing I do is often bring back some of the small servings of desserts in the buffet and keep one or two in my fridge, and have some of that as a snack. One of the advantages of HAL over Princess (besides scoop ice cream) is that they serve smaller servings of most of the MDR desserts in the buffet, so I usually sample several. Room service is also a possible option to order something non-smelly the evening before, since room service is still free on HAL. Other snacks I bring back to my room are tortilla chips from the taco bar they usually have on the pool deck, their delicious cookies, and some small sandwiches they have in the buffet in the afternoon, which are often really good. On my last two cruises they had fresh sliced strawberries, so I brought back a bowl to my room every morning. So basically, you won't starve, even though they don't have the 24/7 Princess option, if you're willing to keep some food in your room (I bring a plastic tray on my cruise to make it easier, as well as to make it easier to carry. food in the buffet, particularly since I like eating on the quieter pool deck in the morning, as I do on the aft outside deck on Princess. 

Lots of great suggestions, thank you.

Nothing on the Vista Class ships (i.e. Noordam) comes even close to the IC on Princess.  On the other hand, HAL does offer places where one can actually see the sea :).  I happen to be a big fan of the International Cafe (on Princess) and Explorations, on the Noordam, has nothing in common other than the availability of getting coffee/tea,  We have over 35 Princess cruises, and the IC is one of the draws that keeps us coming back to that line.  Sitting in the atrium with a pastry, egg sandwich, sandwich, etc. and people watching is a personal addiction.  We go to Explorations to get our cappuccino, but generally find little reason to "hang out" in that venue.

Hank

• Like 2