Ocean cay yacht club

dmccadden

Hi

Does anyone know what enhancements they have made to to Ocean house area on Ocean Cay? I remember the beach was not easy to walk on and we would alway go to a different one after lunch. just wondering what improvements they may have made.

Thank you

8 hours ago, eagletwo said:

We have been fortunate to sail in the YC four times. Never understood why MSC placed Ocean House on the worst beach on Ocean Cay. 

Because it is cheaper than building a wall with razor wire to keep interlopers out. Interlopers need more than a lobster roll, and we YCers are little "emperors with no cloths."

• Haha 1

I've seen video of the improvements but plan to experience first hand in November.  As far as I can tell, there is an extensive deck area to accommodate lunch tables where once they were perched on grass.  Sand fleas were a bother so hoping this is no longer the case.  As for the beach, I expect that it will still be quite rocky so recommend water shoes if you plan to get wet.  Also, I believe there is a proper bathroom now instead of the porta-potty trailer.

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

've seen video of the improvements but plan to experience first hand in November.

I'll try and get pictures as best I can.  We will be there 9/27 and 10/4.  

• Like 3

We were there last week.  They added flooring to were the grass area were the tables were.  Now there are tables on that flooring area and they have canopies covering the area.  It still is not as good as being under the porch area but it is much better.  There is construction on the right side of the building, I heard it was to increase the space and add another bathroom area.  They added more loungers to the beach but the beach itself is the same.  I saw no improvement with the rocks and actually felt it was rocky out much further.  They did put up a shark net.  There is a good amount of construction going on throughout the island.  

23 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Will the shuttle that takes us to the YC area let us off elsewhere?  There's some sort of ice cream shop I want to try.

Yes, just ask.   Also, in a first we were heading to the YC beach and there were a few seats open.  The driver stopped and asked people if they were heading across the bridge so they piled into the tram. He dropped them off right that the fork to go to the YC.  

• Like 1

We´re curious on Ocean Cay, we´ll be there in 13 days for the first time. On our b2b we will have two overnights on the Island. 

We will use water shoes as recommended here, something else to watch out for? 

Excuse me, slightly OT: Because of traveling to the U.S. by plane we want to buy Snorkel equipment in the US, no clue where to buy.... Walmart, Woolworth etc...?

No more Woolworth in US, gone for a generation or more.  Yes to beginner quality for Walmart.  If you have enough time look for Dick’s Sporting Goods.  They have everything.  If you do ship excursions they may provide equipment.  Pretty sure Miami would have dive shops, too.  EM

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...