Alaska Cruise for casual family groups: older adults, not into fancy stuff

3ric

Hi all,

My extended family is looking at an alaska cruisetour with Norwegian on Norwegian Jade. Most of them are older adults( 60+ couples), no kids or if so adult kids, likely small group of 5 to 10 cabins. Many are not experienced travelers, some have not really been on vacation for a decade+, and may frown upon too fancy food, dressing up/galas or getting too far out of their comfort zone. They are a fun bunch and they are definitely excited at the prospect of an Alaska cruise. I have looked into the pricing they are getting and what lines are best for alaska, and it definitely seems everyone that Holland (or Princess) is better when it comes to the itineraries, port access, viewing glacier bay,etc.. The family is also excited about all the shows and other activies on board but dont need the slides or go cart/kid friendly stuff so it seems holland would be good too.I would guess they would be just fine with few kids on board :-)
I can get them on Holland for the same price as what they were quoted for Norwegian but I want to be mindful of them feeling comfortable and the experience matching their needs/wants, without letting my personal preference muddy the waters. I am hoping someone can speak to the dress code and fanciness of holland Alaska.
My only experience so far is with ponant expedition (though I am booked with emerald soon) and I want to make sure I am not steering them wrong.
As anyone here on been on both ships?
Can you describe the feel on Holland Alaska boat.
Jeans and shorts ok during dinner? at least in some areas or will they consistenly feel obligated to dress up?  

You will fit in just fine on HAL in Alaska. There is essentially no dress code...well, no tee shirts, jeans with holes, or shorts in the main dining room, otherwise no real dress code. You can wear shorts or jeans in the buffet. Yes, some will dress nicer, but it's not required,  and many won't. 

Many threads here on dress codes.

Thanks, yeah i thought about reviewing the thread about dress code but I find it a bit reductive. Sometimes it is also about the "feel" of the cruise. and the clientele. It is hard to put a finger on it just from the dress code. Some cruises have similar dress codes but different range of people and clientele.

Alaskan Cruises have a really casual dress code, as seen in this meme.IMG_4197.jpeg.049efa68bb4536e51d937089fa0b9d89.jpeg

I was on a HAL Alaska cruise in July and on “Gala” nights in the dining room I wore a pair of capris and a top that was dressier than a t-shirt. My husband wears a collared golf shirt. 

Do you mean Alaska Cruise (Ship only) or Cruise Tour which is ship plus train/bus to interior. From your post I think you want ship only. Then easy transportation (round trip to same city) or one way SEA or Vancouver to 1-2 hours outside of ANC with flights to different cities. Then Glacier Bay or not. Then dates. Once those things are narrowed down start looking at cruise lines, port times, prices.  etc Check youtube for personal reviews and note people's dress. Here is one that looks like ones to watch although from 2023. Alaskan Cruise Tips - Sailing The Inside Passage with Holland America (youtube.com)

We did a very relaxed extended family Alaska cruise on the Koningsdam 2 years ago. My grandchildren still talk about it being their next favorite to Disney.  Our ages ranged from 10 to 70 and everyone had a great time. The dressiest my husband got was to wear a collared shirt and khaki pants to dinner. a very big hit was going to the Dutch Cafe and The Crow's nest.

Edited by shiner6

Coordinating travel for a group can be trying, but communication and information is KEY. Holland America has the best itineraries and port times in Alaska.  Their ships are comfortable, and yes, elegant (in places).  It is NOT stuffy, and there is NOT a "dress code".  Simply dress nicely, as in "not sloppy". 

1 hour ago, SightCRR said:

Do you mean Alaska Cruise (Ship only) or Cruise Tour which is ship plus train/bus to interior. From your post I think you want ship only. Then easy transportation (round trip to same city) or one way SEA or Vancouver to 1-2 hours outside of ANC with flights to different cities. Then Glacier Bay or not. Then dates. Once those things are narrowed down start looking at cruise lines, port times, prices.  etc Check youtube for personal reviews and note people's dress. Here is one that looks like ones to watch although from 2023. Alaskan Cruise Tips - Sailing The Inside Passage with Holland America (youtube.com)

i mean cruisetour. i am not overly concerned about the land tour part around them fitting in. i would imagine  holland may be better on the land part, but i havent reviewed all in details. Mckinley resort seems nice and the experience Holland has in alaska is reassuring. Pricing is pretty much the same. 

definitely looking at one way, land first. likely from vancouver, 4 days land tour. Looking at august as thsts the initial date of the ncl tour they are looking but i would prefer to go late May.

4 minutes ago, 3ric said:

definitely looking at one way, land first. likely from vancouver, 4 days land tour. Looking at august as thsts the initial date of the ncl tour they are looking but i would prefer to go late May.

"Land first" would mean sailing from Whittier to Vancouver.

If this includes a land tour make sure your bookings are linked so that you all travel in the same group on the bus and train.  August would be better than late May for the Denali part of the trip due to the date for the opening of the Tundra Wilderness Tour park road.  The HAL McKinley Chalets are a fun place to stay near the park entrance with easy bus transportation between the Chalets, the Princess Resort, and the park entrance.  Choose an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay National Park where the rangers come onboard and narrate the viewing.

Edited by oaktreerb

4 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

If this includes a land tour make sure your bookings are linked so that you all travel in the same group on the bus and train.  August would be better than late May for the Denali part of the trip due to the date for the opening of the Tundra Wilderness Tour park road.  The HAL McKinley Chalets are a fun place to stay near the park entrance with easy bus transportation between the Chalets, the Princess Resort, and the park entrance.  Choose an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay National Park where the rangers come onboard and have a special program for the kids.

yes, we will have a small group setup. we dont have kids on the group, just ,60+ adults with maybe some 40+ "kids". thanks for the note on timing for the Tundra Wilderness. the glacier and rangers on board are one of the key reason i am leaning Holland for them.

We sailed on Koningsdam out of Vancouver spring 2024.  We very much enjoyed it and would recommend it highly (Our last 4 cruises have been HAL pinnacle class) 

That said a couple of comments given your opening post. 

First, if you have adult males who won't wear long pants, it could be a problem.  They very well could be turned away from the MDR if they wear shorts.  They also need to wear a shirt with sleeves and a collar.  But nice jeans and polos are fine.  

Second, HAL is not the line for big production shows.  They have some shows - we didn't go - but this is a common complaint.  We love the BB King and Rolling Stone (or whatever they are called now.)  Some love the piano  players.  But don't go for the shows.  Or any sort of late night excitement.

We find the food on HAL good to outstanding.  The pinnacle class ships give you lots of variety in the MDR and the lido as well as great burgers and pizza.   We went on one Norwegian cruise years ago (2010ish)  and swore them off just because of the food.  No experience with Princess.

HAL is our current favorite line but I certainly understand it is not for everyone.  But no tux or sport coat needed in Alaska if that helps

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3ric said:

Looking at august as thsts the initial date of the ncl tour they are looking but i would prefer to go late May.

I am glad to hear that your plans are more in place than I got from your other post. Both dates have different advantages. May more snow in mts for better viewing. Aug more salmon so more wildlife. Make sure your plans include Glacier Bay. Watch out for Ward Cove in Ketchikan with dock out of town and very little time in city. 

15 hours ago, 3ric said:

Can you describe the feel on Holland Alaska boat.
Jeans and shorts ok during dinner? at least in some areas or will they consistenly feel obligated to dress up?  

Did a 7 Day Alaska Cruise last month and would echo other comments that your friends will be fine.

Jeans will be fine as that is what I wore 90% of the time. Did bring a pair of kakis and a button-down shirt for Dressy Night, but nothing fancy.

Shorts ok in Lido any time. Did not notice any in the MDR so can't say about there.

Will say they are not allowed in the specialty restaurants as the head waiter ask the man in front of us to please change into long pants. It was done discretely, and the rest of his party was seated right away. The only reason we realized what happened was we overheard the man telling the rest of his party that he was told no shorts and would return soon.