Fish & Chips on Celebrity Ascent & Beyond (Edge class)

Kordy

Hi there,

I'm going on a cruise in the Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity Ascent, which is currently in Europe and moving to Florida in October.  One of my favorite dishes is Fish & Chips and I wanted to see which venues (restaurants? buffet? bar? pub?) on-board offer Fish & Chips?

I noticed that in the cruises out of Europe, it may be offered in Craft Social Bar as an option, although it costs extra?  but I notice that on the Celebrity Beyond, it's not offered at all.  Can someone confirm whether fish & chips is an option anywhere on board?  Either on Beyond or Ascent.

Bonus points if they offer Shepherd's Pie, but that is probably asking too much !

Thank you !

PS: are there any other "British" options offered on-board, outside of the "British buffet day" in the Ocean View buffet?

2 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

When sailing from England there is a British theme at the buffet one lunch

I’ve seen the British theme for the dinner buffet on Reflection. The fish was very good! So crunchy! 

I just realized you specified Ascent. I’ll assume that Ascent has themed nights too.

Edited by thebutlerdidit

6 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

When sailing from England there is a British theme at the buffet one lunch

Hold on - when sailing JUST from England?  I thought it was more common that that - I thought that on most Celebrity big-ship cruises, you get themed lunches in the Ocean View cafe buffer... eg: you get British Day, Asian Day, Mexican Day, etc?    Isn't that a standard thing?

Edited by Kordy

17 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Hold on - when sailing JUST from England?  I thought it was more common that that - I thought that on most Celebrity big-ship cruises, you get themed lunches in the Ocean View cafe buffer... eg: you get British Day, Asian Day, Mexican Day, etc?    Isn't that a standard thing?

There are theme days but what themes can vary and if there is a holiday or some other occasion ( Octoberfest comes to mind) there will be a theme day in the buffet for that. 

23 minutes ago, Kordy said:

In the past two years on a 14, 10 & 9 day cruise, I have never seen a British theme day in OVC.

1 hour ago, Kordy said:

Hi there,

I'm going on a cruise in the Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity Ascent, which is currently in Europe and moving to Florida in October.  One of my favorite dishes is Fish & Chips and I wanted to see which venues (restaurants? buffet? bar? pub?) on-board offer Fish & Chips?

I noticed that in the cruises out of Europe, it may be offered in Craft Social Bar as an option, although it costs extra?  but I notice that on the Celebrity Beyond, it's not offered at all.  Can someone confirm whether fish & chips is an option anywhere on board?  Either on Beyond or Ascent.

Bonus points if they offer Shepherd's Pie, but that is probably asking too much !

Thank you !

PS: are there any other "British" options offered on-board, outside of the "British buffet day" in the Ocean View buffet?

Sorry but the all the so called British Specials are a poor imitation of the originals and they even get the signs wrong e.g. "Banger and Mash" whereas as it's always "Bangers and Mash. Ok 8 of 10 for trying 2 out of 10 for the result.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Sorry but the all the so called British Specials are a poor imitation of the originals and they even get the signs wrong e.g. "Banger and Mash" whereas as it's always "Bangers and Mash. Ok 8 of 10 for trying 2 out of 10 for the result.

LOL!  agreed, but it's better than nothing  !!!   I would love to see a British lunch theme at least once on a 7-day cruise.  I love fish & chips and Shepherd's Pie - these are not difficult dishes to provide on a large cruise like the Celebrity Beyond/Ascend.  But looks like tough to get, unless you're sailing out of the UK!

Edited by Kordy

3 minutes ago, Kordy said:

LOL!  agreed, but it's better than nothing  !!!   I would love to see a British lunch theme at least once on a 7-day cruise.  I love fish & chips and Shepherd's Pie - these are not difficult dishes to provide on a large cruise like the Celebrity Beyond/Ascend.  But looks like tough to get, unless you're sailing out of the UK!

Even out of the UK I can't recall the fish being cod, the portions are tiny and, worst of all, the meal is served on plates with cutlery whereas we all know the only way to eat fish (cod) and chips is straight out of the paper with your fingers. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Liao said:

In the past two years on a 14, 10 & 9 day cruise, I have never seen a British theme day in OVC.

I have seen videos of the Ocean View Lunch having a British Theme on 1 day of a cruise on the Edge class ships ... in addition, saw Indian theme, Italian, American, Mexican, etc.  and of course, the Seafood Extravaganza lunch in the OCV.

I'm not sure about "theme" days but in the OVC there are definitely "theme stations", eg Asian, Mexican, etc.  I have had fish and chips numerous times from the buffet.  Mostly batter, little fish.  I have also seen but not sampled Shepherds Pie. 

4 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Past B2B cruises onboard the Silhouette (June/July 24) one day of each cruise they have fish and chips at the Buffet

I hope this is also available on Celebrity Edge ships, such as Beyond & Ascent.

We just got off the Ascent and saw both fish & chips and shepherd's pie several times in the buffet at lunchtime during our 12 days. The fish & chips was really good one day and not so great another day (thick, doughy batter).   We sailed from Barcelona.  They seemed to have many ethnic choices on the buffet every day...including lots of Italian, Indian & Asian selections.  

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

I'll agree with this, I was on Apex in July and the buffet had a British day but the bangers and mash was disgusting, it was like hot dog sausages cut up and put in the mash 🤮

The 'meat pie' as it was labeled was actually a cottage pie and not a meat pie (to people in north America its what you call a Sheppard's pie which actually should be with lamb and not beef)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, budbo said:

We just got off the Ascent and saw both fish & chips and shepherd's pie several times in the buffet at lunchtime during our 12 days. The fish & chips was really good one day and not so great another day (thick, doughy batter).   We sailed from Barcelona.  They seemed to have many ethnic choices on the buffet every day...including lots of Italian, Indian & Asian selections.  

Thank you - this is promising - I don't know if this is offered out of the American ports, such as the Caribbean (out of Fort Lauderdale)... maybe it's a European cruise thing only?

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Even out of the UK I can't recall the fish being cod, the portions are tiny and, worst of all, the meal is served on plates with cutlery whereas we all know the only way to eat fish (cod) and chips is straight out of the paper with your fingers. 

Fish and chips wrapped in newspaper. Good memories! RIP News of the World. Cheers…

37 minutes ago, barneyboy said:

We were on an Alaska cruise on Summit in July and there was a British themed lunch in the buffet one day. The fish and chips were very good as we were lucky to get them when a new batch came out. There was also a good seafood pie. 

I hope this is offered on all large-ship Celebrity cruises, eg:  7 days and more!

3 hours ago, Josie201 said:

I'm not sure about "theme" days but in the OVC there are definitely "theme stations", eg Asian, Mexican, etc.  I have had fish and chips numerous times from the buffet.  Mostly batter, little fish.  I have also seen but not sampled Shepherds Pie. 

All the Shepherd's Pies we seen were made using beef whereas it must be lamb = the clue is in the name Shepherd's don't look after cattle.

I've seen British food in the buffet at lunch on different sailings - not just out of Southampton. The fish & chips are fine but not usually like what you get from a proper Fish & Chip shop in the UK. I've also seen Shepherd's Pie but more often Cottage Pie. British breakfast foods are pretty common - beans, tomatoes, bacon (not American bacon and not Back/ AKA Canadian bacon).

Not sure if they still have scones in the buffet late afternoon. They were not very good! 😝